Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Armstrong County Pennsylvania Historical Markers

 
Brady's Bend Works Marker image, Touch for more information
By Mike Wintermantel, September 25, 2011
Brady's Bend Works Marker
Pennsylvania (Armstrong County), Brady's Bend — Brady's Bend Works
Located near this point, 1839-73. Organized as the Great Western and later known as the Brady's Bend Iron Company. One of that era's largest iron works, and first to make iron rails west of the Alleghenies. — Map (db m47561) HM
Pennsylvania (Armstrong County), Brick Church — Cochran Mills Bridge
In 1800, not too far from here along Cherry Run, George Painter built the first gristmill in Burrell Township. By 1804 he had relocated the mill to this site on Crooked Creek and added a sawmill. The mills changed hands several times and by 1822 a . . . — Map (db m74142) HM
Pennsylvania (Armstrong County), Cowansville — Saint Patrick's Church
A restored log church a few miles from here is a fine example of a pioneer place of worship. It memorializes the first Roman Catholic congregation in this region. — Map (db m47571) HM
Pennsylvania (Armstrong County), Ford City — In Honor of Nellie BlyElizabeth Cochrane Seaman
May 5, 1867 - Jan. 27, 1922 Journalist and Humanitarian In 1889 she traveled around the world in 72 days, 6 hours and 11 minutes, establishing a world record. Elected to Penna. Newspaper Hall of Fame in 1972. Born at Cochrans Mills Buried . . . — Map (db m79284) HM
Pennsylvania (Armstrong County), Ford City — In Memory of Lieutenant Michael Schall, Sr.1739-1830
Revolutionary Soldier Listed in 1780 as Sergeant in Captain John Santee's Company of the Second Battalion and in 1783 as Lieutenant upon a list of officers of the Sixth Battalion of the Northampton Co. Militia Pennsylvania — Map (db m79285) HM WM
Pennsylvania (Armstrong County), Ford City — Pittsburgh Plate Glass Ford City Works
Among the largest and most productive plate glass factories in the world; opened 1887. At its peak, the plant employed more than 3,500 ethnically diverse workers, who passed through a specially-built tunnel under busy train tracks. Operations ended . . . — Map (db m47567) HM
Pennsylvania (Armstrong County), Kittanning — Armstrong County
Formed March 12, 1800 out of Westmoreland, Allegheny, and Lycoming counties. Named for General John Armstrong, who had destroyed the Indian Village at Kittanning, 1756. Here, the county seat was laid out, 1803, and the "Daugherty Visible" typewriter . . . — Map (db m47558) HM
Pennsylvania (Armstrong County), Kittanning — Armstrong County Civil War Memorial
In memory of Armstrong County Veterans of the Civil War 1861-1865 — Map (db m89688) WM
Pennsylvania (Armstrong County), Kittanning — Blanket Hill
So named for the blankets left by the Armstrong expedition after destroying Kittanning. Here also was a stopping point of the troops on September 7, 1756 en route to attack the Indians. — Map (db m47559) HM
Pennsylvania (Armstrong County), Kittanning — Blanket Hill
Here Colonel John Armstrong with about 800 Frontiersmen from Cumberland County stopped September 7, 1756, while on his way to attack the Indian town of Kittanning. He left 18 of his men, commanded by Lieutanant James Hogg to watch a band of Indians . . . — Map (db m47560) HM
Pennsylvania (Armstrong County), Kittanning — In Memory of General John Armstrong
In memory of General John Armstrong, a Scottish Covenanter and a soldier of the American Revolution. Lieutenant Colonel, 2d. Battalion Provincial troops 1756. Brigadier General Continental Army 1776. Major General Pennsylvania Militia 1778 to close . . . — Map (db m47562) HM
Pennsylvania (Armstrong County), Kittanning — Kittanning
The most notable Delaware Indian village west of the Alleghenies, was situated here from about 1730 until destroyed by Armstrong's expedition in 1756. Its name means "great river", applying to the Ohio-Allegheny. — Map (db m47564) HM
Pennsylvania (Armstrong County), Kittanning — Kittanning
The most notable Delaware Indian village west of the Alleghenies, was situated here from about 1730 until destroyed by Armstrong's expedition in 1756. Its name means "great river", applying to the Ohio-Allegheny. — Map (db m47565) HM
Pennsylvania (Armstrong County), Kittanning — Kittanning or Attiqué Indian Town
Kittanning or Attiqué Indian Town was located on this river flat. The chief settlement as early as 1727, of the Lenni-Lenape or Delaware Indians in their early westward movement from the Susquehanna River, became the most important Indian center . . . — Map (db m49191) HM
Pennsylvania (Armstrong County), Kittanning — Kittanning WW I MemorialTwo Adjacent Monuments
In memory of World War I Veterans Erected in honor of those of Armstrong County who served their country in the World War 1917- 1918

Erected by W. C. T. U. 1932 — Map (db m89689) WM

Pennsylvania (Armstrong County), Manorville — Fort Armstrong
Located on the nearby river bank, this outpost was built in June, 1779, and abandoned that autumn. It served the Brodhead expedition against the Senecas and was named for Maj. Gen. John Armstrong. — Map (db m100664) HM

16 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement