Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Bedford County Pennsylvania Historical Markers

 
Benjamin Walker Homestead Marker image, Touch for more information
By Don Morfe, November 10, 2015
Benjamin Walker Homestead Marker
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Alum Bank — Benjamin Walker Homestead
Before and during the Civil War, Benjamin Walker, Abner Walker, Sr. and George Harbaugh worked closely with African American Underground Railroad conductors John Fiddler, Elisa Rouse and Joseph Crawley. Hundreds of fugitive slaves were led from the . . . — Map (db m91088) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Bedford — "King's House"
A log structure, built prior to 1761, stood on this site. Known, also, as the Commandants House; later as “Rising Sun Inn.” Occupied by British officers until close of French and Indian War. Destroyed by fire, Dec. 14, 1885. — Map (db m14004) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Bedford — Anderson House
Built in 1815. East room housed the first bank in Bedford, known as the Allegheny Bank of Pennsylvania, from 1815 to 1832. Original vault can still be seen. Since 1924, used as public library and community center. — Map (db m13986) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Bedford — Bedford County
Formed on March 9, 1771 from Cumberland County, it first embraced most of western Pennsylvania. Named for its county seat (formerly Raystown) incorporated 1795. In 1758, Fort Bedford was erected here, and Forbes Road - to become a major highway west . . . — Map (db m13990) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Bedford — Bedford County Civil War Monument
(Front):To all her sons who volunteered to defend and perpetuate the government of these United States, Bedford County dedicates this monument July 4, A.D. 1890 Erected in part by the children of the Common Schools of Bedford County . . . — Map (db m14002) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Bedford — Bedford County Courthouse
This courthouse was built in the year 1828 by Solomon Filler. The year following it was used for court and office purposes. — Map (db m14001) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Bedford — Bedford County Veterans Memorial
Lest We Forget We honor all veterans of Bedford County — Map (db m14007) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Bedford — Bedford County Vietnam Veterans Memorial
In honor of the men and women of Bedford County who answered the call We remember these who lost their lives in service to their country Darrell Zane Magruder • Donald Clair Wyles • Charles E Sivits • Irvin Grant Weyand • Rodney . . . — Map (db m14008) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Bedford — Bedford Springs
Medicinal values of these springs discovered about 1796. It soon became a leading resort visited by numerous notables. James Buchanan used the Springs as his summer White House while President. — Map (db m13992) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Bedford — Bedford Springs Historic District
The Bedford Springs Historic District consists of a mineral springs resort established c.1806 by Dr. John Anderson. The district's oldest extant buildings are the stone Nawgel's Mill, c.1796, and the log Miller's House, c.1800. In 1804, Nawgel sold . . . — Map (db m13993) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Bedford — Bedford Village
Settled about 1750, known then as Raystown. Site of an early trading post and Fort Bedford, 1758. Base for Forbes, Bouquet expeditions. In 1794 Washington here reviewed forces in Whiskey Rebellion. — Map (db m13995) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Bedford — Bedford Village
Settled about 1750, known then as Raystown. Site of an early trade post and Fort Bedford, 1758. Base for Forbes, Bouquet expeditions. In 1794 Washington here reviewed forces in Whiskey Rebellion. — Map (db m52662) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Bedford — Bedford Village
Settled about 1750, known then as Raystown. Site of an early trade post and Fort Bedford, 1758. Base for Forbes, Bouquet expeditions. In 1794 Washington here reviewed forces in Whiskey Rebellion. — Map (db m82781) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Bedford — Bonnet Tavern
This inn at the junction of the Forbes and Burd Roads was operated, 1779-1815, by Jean Bonnet and his heirs. In mid-1794, during the Whiskey Rebellion, embattled farmers met here and raised a liberty pole to protest the federal excise tax on . . . — Map (db m60115) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Bedford — Espy House
Built about 1771. It was the headquarters of George Washington in October, 1794, when he came to Bedford to review troops assembled here to quell Whiskey Rebellion in western part of the State. — Map (db m14015) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Bedford — First Court House and Prison Built in 1774
This tablet marks the site of the First Court House and Prison Built in 1774 In the prison yard around which was a high stone wall were The Pillory and Whipping Post used in those days for the punishment of criminals Prior to . . . — Map (db m14000) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Bedford — Forbes Road1758 — Fort Bedford to Fort Duquesne-Fort Bedford-Raystown
Depot of supplies assembling place of an army of nearly eight thousand men and the starting point of General John Forbes' Expedition for the possession of Fort Duquesne. The road leads Westward to the Forks. — Map (db m52666) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Bedford — Fraser Tavern
Site of lots on which John Fraser and his wife established an inn and trading post in 1758. Fraser had been a guide and interpreter for Colonel Washington. The inn provided meals for army officers at Fort Raystown (Bedford). — Map (db m14003) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Bedford — George Washington
“First in war - first in peace, and first in the hearts of his countrymen.” This tablet marks the building used by President George Washington as his headquarters October 19 and 20, 1794, when he was in Bedford, in charge of the United . . . — Map (db m14089) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Bedford — Grist Millstone1774
This millstone, which dates prior to the American Revolution, came from Dutch Corner in Bedford County. Jim Karns found it in 1985 while doing construction work near Imlertown. The mill from which it came is unknown. This stone, which weighs about . . . — Map (db m91117) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Bedford — Pennsylvania
Founded 1681 by William Penn as a Quaker Commonwealth. Birthplace of The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States — Map (db m91128) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Bedford — Pennsylvania Turnpike
This is one of the original service plazas for the nation's first long-distance superhighway. On October 1, 1940, the Turnpike opened, stretching 160 miles from Irwin to Carlisle. The Turnpike Commission had been created in 1937; construction . . . — Map (db m8188) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Bedford — Pennsylvania Turnpike
This is one of the original service plazas for the nation's first long-distance superhighway. On October 1, 1940, the Turnpike opened, stretching 160 miles from Irwin to Carlisle. The Turnpike Commission had been created in 1937; construction . . . — Map (db m8816) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Bedford — Rural Electrification
In 1936 seventy-five percent of Pennsylvania farms had no electric service. During the next five years, with Federal support, 14 consumer-owned cooperatives were formed in this State. Bedford Rural Electric Cooperative, which serves members in . . . — Map (db m52665) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Bedford — The Coffee Pot
The increased number of automobiles during the Lincoln Highway era (1912-1940) led to the development of programmatic architecture. Proprietors took daring approaches to appeal to the new motoring public. All across the country, oversized . . . — Map (db m13998) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Bedford — The Elm Tree Memorial
The Elm Tree which this tablet marks was planted in memory of those Patriots of the Borough of Bedford who gave their lives for the cause of freedom in the Great World War. Corporal Howard Pardoe Booty, Co. L. 112th U.S. Infantry, 28th . . . — Map (db m14011) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Bedford — The Lincoln Highway Meets the Superhighway
Nearly three centuries of transportation history can be found in Pennsylvania: native American paths to wagon trails, early canals and railroads, the Forbes and Burd Roads, and a string of ten other turnpikes. However, none were more important in . . . — Map (db m8189) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Bedford — The Squares
Set aside, at the time of Manor survey in 1761, by the family of William Penn, as property of the town of Bedford. — Map (db m14005) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Bedford — This Tablet Marks The Site of Fort Bedford
This tablet erected by Bedford Penn'a Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution May 30, 1925 Marks the site of Fort Bedford One of the Frontier Forts built by the British in 1758 The stockade enclosing the fort contained about 7000 square . . . — Map (db m60119) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Bedford — Transportation History
Nearby water gaps have made this an important transporation corridor for thousands of years. Native American trails, 18th century military roads, the Pennsylvania Road, the Chambersburg and Bedford Turnpike, the Lincoln Highway, US 30, and the . . . — Map (db m52667) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Bedford — Traveling The Highway
For over 200 years, Bedford County taverns have served as stopovers for weary travelers en route to Pittsburgh or Philadelphia. Over the years, most of these taverns have ceased to operate. However, the Jean Bonnet Tavern continues to offer a fine . . . — Map (db m60116) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Breezewood — Military Convoys
During World War II, the Gateway was considered to be a major stop-off for many servicemen and women who were on their way to Maryland, Virginia, the Carolinas and westward. This prime location near the turnpike interchange in Breezewood and along . . . — Map (db m337) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Breezewood — The Pennsylvania Turnpike
Shortly after the Pennsylvania Turnpike opened in 1941, Snyder's Gateway Inn was one of the first businesses to appear. Merle and Marian Snyder opened the restaurant shortly before World War II began and eventually supplied fuel to the military . . . — Map (db m336) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Centerville — Forbes RoadWashington & Bouquet Meeting
Near this site on July 30, 1758, Cols. Bouquet and Washington discussed proposed routes by which Gen. Forbes’ army would attack French Ft. Duquesne. Bouquet preferred the route due west from Bedford, while Washington advocated Braddock’s 1755 road . . . — Map (db m84287) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Centerville — Site of Cumberland Valley Post Office1871 - 1945
Mail was delivered here on foot over Wills Mtn. from the B&O Railroad in Hyndman, PA. The 4 mile Mail Path was used from 1871 until 1923. Mail was also delivered 4 more miles over Evitts Mtn. to Bean's Cove. After 1923, mail arrived here via Blue . . . — Map (db m84288) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Cumberland Valley Township — Camp Mason & Dixon
From June 27-July 8, 1861 a newly formed brigade of 1,500 Union troops under Chas. J. Biddle consisting of the 5th and 13th (Bucktail Regiment) PA Reserves, and 1st PA Res. Artillery, encamped here while enroute to relieve Col. Lew Wallace’s 11th . . . — Map (db m91126) WM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Everett — Forbes Road(Fort Juniata)
At the Juniata Crossings, half a mile north of here, General Forbes erected a small stockade in 1758 to protect the communications of his army moving west to attack Fort Duquesne. — Map (db m52663) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Everett — Gettysburg Campaign
Entrenchments still visible by the roadsides were prepared in June, 1863, by militia under Col. J.C. Higgins against threatened Confederate attack toward the railroad at Altoona. The march of troops toward Gettysburg on June 30-July 1 ended the . . . — Map (db m54182) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Helixville — Jacob Kinsey (Kintzy) Homestead
Ninety feet north of this spot stood the first log house in this community, erected in the year 1795 by Jacob and Elizabeth Kemp Kinsey (Kintzy) who were born in Germany in 1769. The homestead contained 439 acres and 87 perches. Patent for the land . . . — Map (db m14020) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Manns Choice — William Frazier — 1759 - 1844
First White Child born in Bedford County Grave Marker William Fraser PVT Continental Line Revolutionary War 1759 - 1844 — Map (db m51901) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), New Enterprise — Rural Electrification
In 1936 seventy-five percent of Pennsylvania farms had no electric service. Over the next five years, in response to their needs, 14 consumer-owned cooperatives were formed in this State. Serving users in Bedford, Fulton and Huntingdon counties, New . . . — Map (db m91087) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Saxton — Capt. Phillips' Rangers Memorial
Graves of ten of Capt. Phillips' militia killed by Indians, July 16, 1780. Administered by the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission. — Map (db m91085) WM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Saxton — Capt. Phillips' Rangers Memorial
Upright Bronze Plaque The following scouts under Capt. Phillips were massacred here by the Indians July 16, 1780.

M. Davis, T. Gaitrell, D. Kelley, G. Morris, P. Sanders, T. Sanders, A. Shelly, R. Shirley, H. Skelly, P. . . . — Map (db m91086) WM

Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Saxton — Phillips' Rangers
Capt. William Phillips and 11 men of his militia company were captured near this point by Indians, July 16, 1780. Ten men were killed here and were buried later by a search party. Capt. Phillips and son Elijah, taken prisoner, were freed by British . . . — Map (db m91084) WM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Schellsburg — Bedford Co. Bridge #15Colvin Covered Bridge
WGC8 38-05-24 Rehabilitated in 1996 Co. Commissioners: Norma C. Ickes, Chairperson; Dick M. Rice; Gary W. Ebersole Co. Engineer: P. Joseph Lehman, Inc. Contractor: Kee Ta Qyah Construction History of the Bridge Constructed . . . — Map (db m8286) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Schellsburg — Forbes Camp
Near here was located Shawnee Cabins camp. Used by Gen. Forbes army in the campaign of 1758 against the French at Fort Duquesne in present Pittsburgh. — Map (db m8288) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Schellsburg — Forbes Road1758 — Fort Bedford to Fort Duquesne
Shawnee Cabins Encampment At this point the Forbes Road leads southwestward to the eastern slope of the Allegheny Mountains 8 1/3 miles from Fort Bedford — Map (db m49562) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Schellsburg — Lincoln Highway Heritage CorridorBuilding the Highway
The French and Indian War (1754-1760) marked the entrance of Pennsylvania into world history and into the road system. General John Forbes selected the best Indian paths that would serve his military objectives of reclaiming western Pennsylvania . . . — Map (db m61085) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Schellsburg — Old Log Church
On land granted by John Schell for the purpose of erecting a union church, construction of this primitive log church building was begun in 1806 by the Reformed and Lutheran Congregations of this area. — Map (db m8291) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Schellsburg — Over the SummitLincoln Highway Heritage Corridor
Even when blessed with good roads and good weather, crossing the Alleghenies on the Lincoln Highway was a challenge for the early motorist. Steep grades and winding roads resulted in overheated engines and severe cases of vertigo. Entrepreneurs . . . — Map (db m61117) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Schellsburg — Shawnee Cabins
A village site nearby on the Raystown Path. Named for a group of Shawnee Indians who halted here on their retreat from the Potomac to the lower Allegheny valley in the early 18th century. — Map (db m8290) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Schellsburg — The Beginning of Agricultural Cooperative Extension Service
One of the nation's earliest cooperative extension offices was established in 1910 in Schellsburg, Bedford County, with A.B. Ross as county agent. The innovative program sought to educate farmers about agricultural science to increase . . . — Map (db m59737) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Wolfsburg — Forbes Road
This intersection marks the point where Forbes Road of 1758 diverged from the path cut by Col. Burd in 1755. The Forbes Road led through the wilderness west toward Ligonier from this point. — Map (db m59734) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Wolfsburg — Forbes Road1758 — Fort Bedford to Fort Duquesne
The Forks The Road cut by Colonel James Burd in 1755 and the Forbes Road diverge here, Forbes Road leading southwestward to Shawnee Cabins Encampment 4 1/2 miles from Fort Bedford. — Map (db m99103) HM

54 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement