Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Bedford County Pennsylvania Historical Markers

 
Benjamin Walker Homestead Marker image, Touch for more information
By Don Morfe, November 10, 2015
Benjamin Walker Homestead Marker
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Alum Bank — Benjamin Walker Homestead
On Rainbow Drive at Beutman Road, on the right when traveling west on Rainbow Drive.
Before and during the Civil War, Benjamin Walker, Abner Walker, Sr. and George Harbaugh worked closely with African American Underground Railroad conductors John Fiddler, Elisa Rouse and Joseph Crawley. Hundreds of fugitive slaves were led from the . . . — Map (db m91088) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Bedford — "King's House"
On Pitt Street (Business U.S. 30), on the left when traveling west.
A log structure, built prior to 1761, stood on this site. Known, also, as the Commandants House; later as “Rising Sun Inn.” Occupied by British officers until close of French and Indian War. Destroyed by fire, Dec. 14, 1885. — Map (db m14004) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Bedford — Anderson House
On Pitt Street (Business U.S. 30), on the right when traveling west.
Built in 1815. East room housed the first bank in Bedford, known as the Allegheny Bank of Pennsylvania, from 1815 to 1832. Original vault can still be seen. Since 1924, used as public library and community center. — Map (db m13986) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Bedford — Bedford County
On Juliana Street at Penn Street, on the right when traveling south on Juliana Street.
Formed on March 9, 1771 from Cumberland County, it first embraced most of western Pennsylvania. Named for its county seat (formerly Raystown) incorporated 1795. In 1758, Fort Bedford was erected here, and Forbes Road - to become a major highway west . . . — Map (db m13990) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Bedford — Bedford County Civil War Monument
On Juliana Street at Penn Street, on the right when traveling south on Juliana Street.
(Front):To all her sons who volunteered to defend and perpetuate the government of these United States, Bedford County dedicates this monument July 4, A.D. 1890 Erected in part by the children of the Common Schools of Bedford County . . . — Map (db m14002) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Bedford — Bedford County Courthouse
On Juliana Street at Penn Street, on the right when traveling south on Juliana Street.
This courthouse was built in the year 1828 by Solomon Filler. The year following it was used for court and office purposes. — Map (db m14001) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Bedford — Bedford County Veterans Memorial
On Juliana Street at Penn Street, on the left when traveling south on Juliana Street.
Lest We Forget We honor all veterans of Bedford County — Map (db m14007) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Bedford — Bedford County Vietnam Veterans Memorial
On Juliana Street at Penn Street, on the right when traveling north on Juliana Street.
In honor of the men and women of Bedford County who answered the call We remember these who lost their lives in service to their country Darrell Zane Magruder • Donald Clair Wyles • Charles E Sivits • Irvin Grant Weyand • Rodney . . . — Map (db m14008) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Bedford — Bedford Springs
On Pennsylvania Route 220, on the right when traveling south.
Medicinal values of these springs discovered about 1796. It soon became a leading resort visited by numerous notables. James Buchanan used the Springs as his summer White House while President. — Map (db m13992) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Bedford — Bedford Springs Historic District
On Pennsylvania Route 220, on the right when traveling south.
The Bedford Springs Historic District consists of a mineral springs resort established c.1806 by Dr. John Anderson. The district's oldest extant buildings are the stone Nawgel's Mill, c.1796, and the log Miller's House, c.1800. In 1804, Nawgel sold . . . — Map (db m13993) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Bedford — Bedford Village
On Pitt Street (Business U.S. 30) at Telegraph Road, on the left when traveling west on Pitt Street.
Settled about 1750, known then as Raystown. Site of an early trading post and Fort Bedford, 1758. Base for Forbes, Bouquet expeditions. In 1794 Washington here reviewed forces in Whiskey Rebellion. — Map (db m13995) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Bedford — Bedford Village
On Business U.S. 220 at Broad Street, on the right when traveling south on U.S. 220Business .
Settled about 1750, known then as Raystown. Site of an early trade post and Fort Bedford, 1758. Base for Forbes, Bouquet expeditions. In 1794 Washington here reviewed forces in Whiskey Rebellion. — Map (db m52662) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Bedford — Bedford Village
On East Pitt Street at East Penn Street, on the right when traveling west on East Pitt Street.
Settled about 1750, known then as Raystown. Site of an early trade post and Fort Bedford, 1758. Base for Forbes, Bouquet expeditions. In 1794 Washington here reviewed forces in Whiskey Rebellion. — Map (db m82781) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Bedford — Bonnet Tavern
On Allegheny Road (Pennsylvania Route 31) 0.1 miles west of Lincoln Highway (U.S. 30), on the right when traveling south.
This inn at the junction of the Forbes and Burd Roads was operated, 1779-1815, by Jean Bonnet and his heirs. In mid-1794, during the Whiskey Rebellion, embattled farmers met here and raised a liberty pole to protest the federal excise tax on . . . — Map (db m60115) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Bedford — Espy House
On Pitt Street (Business U.S. 30) 0 miles west of Richard Street (Pennsylvania Route 220), on the right when traveling west.
Built about 1771. It was the headquarters of George Washington in October, 1794, when he came to Bedford to review troops assembled here to quell Whiskey Rebellion in western part of the State. — Map (db m14015) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Bedford — First Court House and Prison Built in 1774
On Juliana Street at Penn Street, on the right when traveling south on Juliana Street.
This tablet marks the site of the First Court House and Prison Built in 1774 In the prison yard around which was a high stone wall were The Pillory and Whipping Post used in those days for the punishment of criminals Prior to . . . — Map (db m14000) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Bedford — Forbes Road — 1758 — Fort Bedford to Fort Duquesne-Fort Bedford-Raystown —
On West Pitt Street at Juniata Street, on the right when traveling west on West Pitt Street.
Depot of supplies assembling place of an army of nearly eight thousand men and the starting point of General John Forbes' Expedition for the possession of Fort Duquesne. The road leads Westward to the Forks. — Map (db m52666) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Bedford — Fort Bedford
On Fort Bedford Drive at Juliana Street, on the right when traveling south on Fort Bedford Drive.
First known as Raystown and built during the summer of 1758 by the forces of Col. Henry Bouquet, the fort was the rendezvous from which the expedition of Gen. Forbes advanced to occupy Fort Duquesne (Pittsburgh). Museum stands on the original site. — Map (db m114321) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Bedford — Fraser Tavern
On Pitt Street (Business U.S. 30) at Richard Street (Pennsylvania Route 220), on the right when traveling west on Pitt Street.
Site of lots on which John Fraser and his wife established an inn and trading post in 1758. Fraser had been a guide and interpreter for Colonel Washington. The inn provided meals for army officers at Fort Raystown (Bedford). — Map (db m14003) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Bedford — George Washington
On Pitt Street (Business U.S. 30), on the right when traveling west.
“First in war - first in peace, and first in the hearts of his countrymen.” This tablet marks the building used by President George Washington as his headquarters October 19 and 20, 1794, when he was in Bedford, in charge of the United . . . — Map (db m14089) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Bedford — Grist Millstone — 1774
On North Juliana Street.
This millstone, which dates prior to the American Revolution, came from Dutch Corner in Bedford County. Jim Karns found it in 1985 while doing construction work near Imlertown. The mill from which it came is unknown. This stone, which weighs about . . . — Map (db m91117) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Bedford — Original Turnpike Road Construction
On Pennsylvania Turnpike (at milepost 146) south of Pennsylvania Highway 220.
Modern road construction methods have evolved utilizing multiple sub grade & substrate layers of compacted earth, crushed stone, concrete, asphalt and can measure up to 36" in depth creating a stable smooth driving surface. Construction of the . . . — Map (db m116487) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Bedford — Pennsylvania
On Bedford Valley Road (US 220).
Founded 1681 by William Penn as a Quaker Commonwealth. Birthplace of The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States — Map (db m91128) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Bedford — Pennsylvania Turnpike
Near Pennsylvania Turnpike (Interstate 76).
This is one of the original service plazas for the nation's first long-distance superhighway. On October 1, 1940, the Turnpike opened, stretching 160 miles from Irwin to Carlisle. The Turnpike Commission had been created in 1937; construction . . . — Map (db m8188) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Bedford — Pennsylvania Turnpike
Near Pennsylvania Turnpike (Interstate 76), on the right when traveling west.
This is one of the original service plazas for the nation's first long-distance superhighway. On October 1, 1940, the Turnpike opened, stretching 160 miles from Irwin to Carlisle. The Turnpike Commission had been created in 1937; construction . . . — Map (db m8816) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Bedford — Rural Electrification
On East Pitt Street at Clark Building Road, on the right when traveling east on East Pitt Street.
In 1936 seventy-five percent of Pennsylvania farms had no electric service. During the next five years, with Federal support, 14 consumer-owned cooperatives were formed in this State. Bedford Rural Electric Cooperative, which serves members in . . . — Map (db m52665) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Bedford — The Coffee Pot
On Pitt Street (Business U.S. 30) at Telegraph Road, on the left when traveling west on Pitt Street.
The increased number of automobiles during the Lincoln Highway era (1912-1940) led to the development of programmatic architecture. Proprietors took daring approaches to appeal to the new motoring public. All across the country, oversized . . . — Map (db m13998) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Bedford — The Elm Tree Memorial
The Elm Tree which this tablet marks was planted in memory of those Patriots of the Borough of Bedford who gave their lives for the cause of freedom in the Great World War. Corporal Howard Pardoe Booty, Co. L. 112th U.S. Infantry, 28th . . . — Map (db m14011) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Bedford — The Lincoln Highway Meets the Superhighway
On Pennsylvania Turnpike (Interstate 76). Reported permanently removed.
Nearly three centuries of transportation history can be found in Pennsylvania: native American paths to wagon trails, early canals and railroads, the Forbes and Burd Roads, and a string of ten other turnpikes. However, none were more important in . . . — Map (db m116488) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Bedford — The Squares
On Juliana Street at Penn Street, on the right when traveling north on Juliana Street.
Set aside, at the time of Manor survey in 1761, by the family of William Penn, as property of the town of Bedford. — Map (db m14005) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Bedford — This Tablet Marks The Site of Fort Bedford
On East Pitt Street (U.S. 30) 0.1 miles east of Juniata Street, on the right when traveling east.
This tablet erected by Bedford Penn'a Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution May 30, 1925 Marks the site of Fort Bedford One of the Frontier Forts built by the British in 1758 The stockade enclosing the fort contained about 7000 square . . . — Map (db m60119) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Bedford — Transportation History
On Lincoln Highway (U.S. 30) at Fance Lane, on the right when traveling east on Lincoln Highway.
Nearby water gaps have made this an important transporation corridor for thousands of years. Native American trails, 18th century military roads, the Pennsylvania Road, the Chambersburg and Bedford Turnpike, the Lincoln Highway, US 30, and the . . . — Map (db m52667) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Bedford — Traveling The Highway
Near Allegheny Road (Pennsylvania Route 31).
For over 200 years, Bedford County taverns have served as stopovers for weary travelers en route to Pittsburgh or Philadelphia. Over the years, most of these taverns have ceased to operate. However, the Jean Bonnet Tavern continues to offer a fine . . . — Map (db m60116) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Breezewood — Military Convoys — Lincoln Highway Heritage Corridor
Near Lincoln Highway (U.S. 30) at the Pennsylvania Turnpike's Breezewood Interchange (Interstate 70,76), on the right when traveling west.
During World War II, the Gateway was considered to be a major stop-off for many servicemen and women who were on their way to Maryland, Virginia, the Carolinas and westward. This prime location near the turnpike interchange in Breezewood and along . . . — Map (db m337) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Breezewood — The Pennsylvania Turnpike — Lincoln Highway Heritage Corridor
Near Lincoln Highway (U.S. 30) at the Pennsylvania Turnpike's Breezewood Interchange (Interstate 70,76), on the right when traveling west.
Shortly after the Pennsylvania Turnpike opened in 1941, Snyder's Gateway Inn was one of the first businesses to appear. Merle and Marian Snyder opened the restaurant shortly before World War II began and eventually supplied fuel to the military . . . — Map (db m336) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Centerville — Forbes Road — Washington & Bouquet Meeting
On Bedford Valley Road (U.S. 220) 1.5 miles north of Centerville Road, on the right when traveling north.
Near this site on July 30, 1758, Cols. Bouquet and Washington discussed proposed routes by which Gen. Forbes’ army would attack French Ft. Duquesne. Bouquet preferred the route due west from Bedford, while Washington advocated Braddock’s 1755 road . . . — Map (db m84287) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Centerville — Site of Cumberland Valley Post Office — 1871 - 1945
On Centerville Road 0.1 miles south of Nave Road, on the right when traveling south.
Mail was delivered here on foot over Wills Mtn. from the B&O Railroad in Hyndman, PA. The 4 mile Mail Path was used from 1871 until 1923. Mail was also delivered 4 more miles over Evitts Mtn. to Bean's Cove. After 1923, mail arrived here via Blue . . . — Map (db m84288) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Cumberland Valley Township — Camp Mason & Dixon
On Bedford Valley Road (US 220).
From June 27-July 8, 1861 a newly formed brigade of 1,500 Union troops under Chas. J. Biddle consisting of the 5th and 13th (Bucktail Regiment) PA Reserves, and 1st PA Res. Artillery, encamped here while enroute to relieve Col. Lew Wallace’s 11th . . . — Map (db m91126) WM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Everett — Early Roads — Lincoln Highway Heritage Corridor
On North Juniata Street south of West Foundry Street, on the left when traveling south.
Located just a stone's throw from the Forbes Road (later the Lincoln Highway), the Everett Foundry and Machine Shop was the place to go for machine parts, welded pieces, molds or bells. The business was started in 1854 by Josiah and Jeremiah . . . — Map (db m134810) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Everett — Everett Area Honor Roll
On East Main Street east of Karns Avenue.
Everett Area Honor Roll — Map (db m135656) WM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Everett — Everett Veterans Memorial
On East Main Street (Business U.S. 30) east of Karns Avenue, on the right when traveling east.
[Center plaque:] To those who served our country in time of war ☆ ☆ ☆ They gave their today for our tomorrow [Left plaque] In loving memory of all Rebekahs and Odd Fellows [Right . . . — Map (db m135658) WM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Everett — Forbes Road — (Fort Juniata)
On Lincoln Highway (U.S. 30) 0.3 miles west of Dell Road, on the right when traveling west.
At the Juniata Crossings, half a mile north of here, General Forbes erected a small stockade in 1758 to protect the communications of his army moving west to attack Fort Duquesne. — Map (db m52663) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Everett — Gettysburg Campaign
On Upper Snake Spring Road (Pennsylvania Route 1005), on the right when traveling south.
Entrenchments still visible by the roadsides were prepared in June, 1863, by militia under Col. J.C. Higgins against threatened Confederate attack toward the railroad at Altoona. The march of troops toward Gettysburg on June 30-July 1 ended the . . . — Map (db m54182) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Everett — Highway Enterprise — Lincoln Highway Heritage Corridor
On East Main Street (Business U.S. 30) east of South Hopewell Street, on the right when traveling east.
In the early 1900s two local boys made a name for themselves in the automobile world. Chester (Chet) and Clayton Karns of Everett were pioneers in the automobile industry. The American Automobile Association (AAA) recognized the brothers as the . . . — Map (db m134815) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Everett — Highway Enterprise — Lincoln Highway Heritage Corridor
On Lincoln Highway (Route 30) west of Nycum Road, on the right.
Travel reached its peak with the birth of automobiles. For the sake of convenience and price, motor camping was soon the latest trend. However, it wasn't long that travelers wanted heat, water, food and gas. As a result, entrepreneurs had the . . . — Map (db m135569) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Everett — Our Main Street — Lincoln Highway Heritage Corridor
On East Main Street (Business U.S. 30) at North Bank Street, on the right when traveling east on East Main Street.
The village of Bloody Run, later named Everett, was planned by Michael Barndollar in 1785. Barndollar also built the Union Hotel at this site in 1808. It was known as one of the finest hotels in existence at that time. During the flood of 1936 . . . — Map (db m134813) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Everett — Road Versus Rail — Lincoln Highway Heritage Corridor
On West 5th Street west of Wood Street, on the right when traveling west.
At the end of the 1800s, most people lived less than 20 miles from a railroad station. By the early 1900s new paving techniques created opportunities for improved roads, like the Lincoln Highway. With automobile travel there were new levels of . . . — Map (db m134812) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Helixville — Jacob Kinsey (Kintzy) Homestead
On Helixville Road at Byrne Road, on the left when traveling north on Helixville Road.
Ninety feet north of this spot stood the first log house in this community, erected in the year 1795 by Jacob and Elizabeth Kemp Kinsey (Kintzy) who were born in Germany in 1769. The homestead contained 439 acres and 87 perches. Patent for the land . . . — Map (db m14020) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Manns Choice — From Motor Camping to Tourist Cabins
On Lincoln Highway (U.S. 30) west of Tulls Hill Road (County Route 4007), on the right when traveling east.
By 1923, motor camping was the number one national pastime. Automobiles provided average Americans a new type of freedom and a way to escape their daily routine by touring the countryside on short weekend trips or cross-country treks. But it wasn't . . . — Map (db m120992) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Manns Choice — William Frazier — 1759 - 1844 —
On Allegheny Road (County Route 31) 0.5 miles west of Shawnee Road (County Route 96), on the right when traveling west.
First White Child born in Bedford County Grave Marker William Fraser PVT Continental Line Revolutionary War 1759 - 1844 — Map (db m51901) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), New Enterprise — Rural Electrification
On Brumbaugh Road (PA 869).
In 1936 seventy-five percent of Pennsylvania farms had no electric service. Over the next five years, in response to their needs, 14 consumer-owned cooperatives were formed in this State. Serving users in Bedford, Fulton and Huntingdon counties, New . . . — Map (db m91087) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), New Paris — Friends Cemetery / The Underground Railroad
On Quaker Valley Road (Pennsylvania Route 56) 0.1 miles south of Presnell Road, on the right when traveling south.
Top Marker Friends Cemetery Founded 1794 Originally 6 acres of ground was purchased from William Webb, Frederick County, Maryland, for 15 shillings per acre, August 30, 1794, by "Members of the Society of People called Quakers to be . . . — Map (db m114345) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Pleasantville — Pleasantville School — 1879-1978
Near Quaker Valley Road (Route 56) at Beutman Road.
This bell is all that remains of the school house, that once stood on these grounds. Purchased by the Pleasantville Borough at a cost of $1,500.00. The two story structure with bell tower, measuring 38 ft. x 40 ft. was built by Thomas S. Holsinger. . . . — Map (db m114434) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Saxton — Capt. Phillips' Rangers Memorial
On Capt. Phillips Memorial Road.
Graves of ten of Capt. Phillips' militia killed by Indians, July 16, 1780. Administered by the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission. — Map (db m91085) WM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Saxton — Capt. Phillips' Rangers Memorial
On Capt. Phillips Memorial Road.
Upright Bronze Plaque The following scouts under Capt. Phillips were massacred here by the Indians July 16, 1780.

M. Davis, T. Gaitrell, D. Kelley, G. Morris, P. Sanders, T. Sanders, A. Shelly, R. Shirley, H. Skelly, P. . . . — Map (db m91086) WM

Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Saxton — Phillips' Rangers
On Raystown Road (PA 26) at Capt. Phillips Memorial Road on Raystown Road (PA 26).
Capt. William Phillips and 11 men of his militia company were captured near this point by Indians, July 16, 1780. Ten men were killed here and were buried later by a search party. Capt. Phillips and son Elijah, taken prisoner, were freed by British . . . — Map (db m91084) WM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Schellsburg — 1806 Old Log Church
Near Lincoln Highway (U.S. 30) 0.6 miles west of Market Street (Pennsylvania Route 96), on the left when traveling west.
This log church, built in 1806, on land donated by John Schell, the founder of Schellsburg, is the oldest church structure in Bedford County. Two congregations, the German Reformed and Lutherans, shared this church until both congregations moved to . . . — Map (db m120991) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Schellsburg — Bedford Co. Bridge #15 — Colvin Covered Bridge
On Mill Road 0.9 miles from Lincoln Highway (U.S. 30), on the left when traveling south.
WGC8 38-05-24 Rehabilitated in 1996 Co. Commissioners: Norma C. Ickes, Chairperson; Dick M. Rice; Gary W. Ebersole Co. Engineer: P. Joseph Lehman, Inc. Contractor: Kee Ta Qyah Construction History of the Bridge Constructed . . . — Map (db m8286) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Schellsburg — Forbes Camp
On Lincoln Highway (U.S. 30) 0.2 miles west of Market Street (Pennsylvania Route 96), on the right when traveling west.
Near here was located Shawnee Cabins camp. Used by Gen. Forbes army in the campaign of 1758 against the French at Fort Duquesne in present Pittsburgh. — Map (db m8288) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Schellsburg — Forbes Road — 1758 — Fort Bedford to Fort Duquesne —
On Lincoln Highway (U.S. 30) 0.2 miles west of Market Street (Pennsylvania Route 96), on the right when traveling west.
Shawnee Cabins Encampment At this point the Forbes Road leads southwestward to the eastern slope of the Allegheny Mountains 8 1/3 miles from Fort Bedford — Map (db m49562) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Schellsburg — Lincoln Highway Heritage Corridor — Building the Highway
On Lincoln Highway.
The French and Indian War (1754-1760) marked the entrance of Pennsylvania into world history and into the road system. General John Forbes selected the best Indian paths that would serve his military objectives of reclaiming western Pennsylvania . . . — Map (db m61085) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Schellsburg — Lincoln Highway Heritage Corridor — Traveling the Highway
On Pitt Street / Lincoln Highway (U.S. 30) 0.1 miles west of Market Street (State Route 96), on the right when traveling west.
In the early days of the automobile, owning a car was considered a novelty. It was also considered a major expense. People had to buy cars outright in cash. As a result it was not surprising that owners wanted to protect their investment by parking . . . — Map (db m122137) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Schellsburg — Old Log Church
On Lincoln Highway (U.S. 30) 0.6 miles west of Market Street (Pennsylvania Route 96), on the left when traveling west.
On land granted by John Schell for the purpose of erecting a union church, construction of this primitive log church building was begun in 1806 by the Reformed and Lutheran Congregations of this area. — Map (db m121037) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Schellsburg — Over the Summit — Lincoln Highway Heritage Corridor
On Lincoln Highway (US 30).
Even when blessed with good roads and good weather, crossing the Alleghenies on the Lincoln Highway was a challenge for the early motorist. Steep grades and winding roads resulted in overheated engines and severe cases of vertigo. Entrepreneurs . . . — Map (db m61117) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Schellsburg — Shawnee Cabins
On Lincoln Highway (U.S. 30) 0.2 miles west of Market Street (Pennsylvania Route 96), on the left when traveling west.
A village site nearby on the Raystown Path. Named for a group of Shawnee Indians who halted here on their retreat from the Potomac to the lower Allegheny valley in the early 18th century. — Map (db m8290) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Schellsburg — The Beginning of Agricultural Cooperative Extension Service
On Pitt Street (U.S. 30).
One of the nation's earliest cooperative extension offices was established in 1910 in Schellsburg, Bedford County, with A.B. Ross as county agent. The innovative program sought to educate farmers about agricultural science to increase . . . — Map (db m59737) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Wolfsburg — Forbes Road
On Lincoln Highway (U.S. 30) at Pennsylvania Route 31 on Lincoln Highway.
This intersection marks the point where Forbes Road of 1758 diverged from the path cut by Col. Burd in 1755. The Forbes Road led through the wilderness west toward Ligonier from this point. — Map (db m59734) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Wolfsburg — Forbes Road — 1758 — Fort Bedford to Fort Duquesne —
On Lincoln Highway (U.S. 30) at At the intersection of U.S. Route 30 and PA 31. (Pennsylvania Route 31) on Lincoln Highway. Reported missing.
The Forks The Road cut by Colonel James Burd in 1755 and the Forbes Road diverge here, Forbes Road leading southwestward to Shawnee Cabins Encampment 4 1/2 miles from Fort Bedford. — Map (db m99103) HM

68 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement