Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Bradford County Pennsylvania Historical Markers

 
Athens Marker image, Touch for more information
By Don Morfe, October 13, 2015
Athens Marker
Pennsylvania (Bradford County), Athens — Athens
On South Keystone Avenue (PA 199).
Known also as Tioga Point. Connecticut settlers laid out the village in 1786. Site of ancient Indian village of Teaoga. Base for the Sullivan Campaign into central N.Y. Gateway from Southern N.Y. into Pennsylvania for centuries. — Map (db m90294) HM
Pennsylvania (Bradford County), Athens — Athens Veterans Memorial
On Main Street (State Highway 199), on the right when traveling north.
(Front):Pro Patria Et Gloria Erected to the memory of our soldiers who fought in defense of the flag (Back):Presented to the township of Athens, Bradford County by Joseph Whipple and Charlotte Snell Stickles of Orange, New Jersey . . . — Map (db m33073) HM
Pennsylvania (Bradford County), Athens — Carrying Path
On Tioga Street (State Highway 199), on the right when traveling west.
Here the Indian voyager down the Chemung lifted his canoe and carried it a hundred and ninety yards across the neck to ascend the Susquehanna. — Map (db m33158) HM
Pennsylvania (Bradford County), Athens — Colonel John Franklin
On Riverside Drive (PA 1043).
Leader of Connecticut land claimants. Served in Sullivan Campaign, 1779. Imprisoned in 1787-89 for leading new state movement. Later served in Pa. legislature. Moved here in 1789; died in 1831. Homesite and grave are east of road. — Map (db m90297) HM
Pennsylvania (Bradford County), Athens — Fort Sullivan
On South Main Street (State Highway 199), on the right when traveling north.
In Sullivan's Expedition, the march that destroyed savagery and opened the Keystone and Empire States to civilization, four brigades furnished by the states of Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey and New Hampshire, with Proctor's Artillery and Parr's . . . — Map (db m33146) HM
Pennsylvania (Bradford County), Athens — Fort Sullivan
On South Main Street at Tioga Street (Pennsylvania Highway 199), on the right when traveling north on South Main Street.
Here within the confines of Fort Sullivan were buried August 14 1779 several soldiers killed the previous day in a skirmish at Chemung as attested by Solomon Talada soldier in the ranks who returned to live in Athens the rest of his life This . . . — Map (db m33148) HM
Pennsylvania (Bradford County), Athens — Fort Sullivan
On Tioga Street (State Highway 199) at South Main Street, on the right when traveling west on Tioga Street.
Here, between the Chemung and Susquehanna commanding both rivers, Gen. John Sullivan built a fort Aug. 18, 1779. With a camp on the flats, it was base for the central N.Y. campaign and defeat of the Tory-Indian alliance. — Map (db m33156) HM
Pennsylvania (Bradford County), Athens — Roll of Honor
On South Main Street (State Highway 199), on the right when traveling north.
A tribute to the men of Athens Borough and Athens Township who made the supreme sacrifice in the wars of our country World War IArnold Floyd E. • Hatch, Archie T. Campbell, Leon E. • Pond, Roy Delaney, Howard • Santee, Clyde H. Hadlock, Frederick . . . — Map (db m33109) WM
Pennsylvania (Bradford County), Athens — Site of Athens Academy
On Main Street (State Highway 199), on the right when traveling north.
. . . — Map (db m32960) HM
Pennsylvania (Bradford County), Athens — Stephen Foster
On Main Street (State Highway 199), on the right when traveling north.
America's beloved writer of folk tunes and ballads attended, 1840-41, Athens Academy which stood here. The Tioga Waltz, Foster's first music, was composed at that time. — Map (db m32958) HM
Pennsylvania (Bradford County), Athens — Teaoga
On Tioga Street (State Highway 199), on the right when traveling north.
This strategic locality between the Chemung and the Susquehanna shows signs of age-old residence by various Indian groups. Graves of an Andaste chief and his followers were unearthed here in 1883-95. — Map (db m33159) HM
Pennsylvania (Bradford County), Athens — The Sullivan Expedition against the Iroquois Indians1779 — Teaoga —
On South Main Street (State Highway 199), on the right when traveling north.
Indian village 3 miles distant from Sheshecunnuck Site of Sullivan's Army Encampment August 11-26, 1779 Lay one and one fourth miles south of this point — Map (db m32912) HM
Pennsylvania (Bradford County), Athens — Vietnam Veterans
On South Main Street (State Highway 199), on the right when traveling north.
. . . — Map (db m33101) HM
Pennsylvania (Bradford County), Burlington — American Veterans MemorialDuty — Honor — Country — 1775 — Eternity —
On the Roosevelt Highway (U.S. 6), on the left when traveling east.

[Title is text] — Map (db m120248) HM

Pennsylvania (Bradford County), Canton — Colonel Thomas Hartley
On Pennsylvania Route 14.
Near this spot September 26, 1778 Colonel Thomas Hartley and two hundred men of the Pennsylvania Line met and defeated a war party of the six nations. — Map (db m90024) WM
Pennsylvania (Bradford County), Canton — World War I Memorial
On 1st Street.
This park was originally dedicated in memory of those who made the supreme sacrifice during World War I.

Sidney Rankin Drew • Max M. Jenkins • Olie Johns • Gordon Beacher King • William Mandeville • James Harry Mason • Howard Russell Soper • John . . . — Map (db m90023) WM

Pennsylvania (Bradford County), East Smithfield — Major Jared Phelps Memorial
On Church Street at Main Street on Church Street.
In memory of Major Jared Phelps a Revolutionary Soldier, who settled in East Smithfield Township in 1811. The ground where this stone rests was given by him to the Congregational Church. — Map (db m90160) HM WM
Pennsylvania (Bradford County), East Smithfield — Smithfield Civil War MonumentWar of 1861
On Church Street (County Route 4011) at Main Street (County Route 4014), on the right when traveling south on Church Street.
This monument is erected by citizens of this township, to perpetuate the memories of fifty four of its soldiers whose names are hereon inscribed, and who with patriot zeal, left their homes at the call of their country, and lost their lives in its . . . — Map (db m90159) WM
Pennsylvania (Bradford County), Milan — Stone Wall Hill
On Milan Road (PA 4014).
A portion of the nearby stone wall was laid by the Works Progress Administration in 1938-39. Begun during the Great Depression as the Civil Works Administration, the WPA was a nationwide unemployment relief program that provided much needed work and . . . — Map (db m90231) HM
Pennsylvania (Bradford County), Milan — Sullivan's March
On Main Street (U.S. 220), on the right when traveling north.
Gen. John Sullivan's army camped on the Sheshequin Flats below, Aug. 9-10, 1779. The seventh and last over-night stop on the way to Tioga Point. — Map (db m33161) HM
Pennsylvania (Bradford County), Milan — TeaogaA Watch Town
On Main Street (U.S. 220), on the right when traveling north.
The south door of Iroquois Long House was situated on the point at the meeting of the rivers 200 rods to the northeast Queen Esther's Town of the Delaware Indians was 100 rods to the east along the Chemung River Bank Both towns were destroyed . . . — Map (db m33160) HM
Pennsylvania (Bradford County), Sayre — Guthrie Square
On South Wilbur Avenue.
Named to honor Dr. Donald Guthrie who for many years has been surgeon-in-chief of the Robert Packer Hospital-Guthrie Clinic which from a small country hospital he has made internationally known. His services and his kindness to countless thousands . . . — Map (db m90233) HM
Pennsylvania (Bradford County), Sayre — Lehigh Valley Railroad1870-1976 Sayre PA — LVRR 1904 —
On South Wilbur Avenue.
Left Panel 1889 • 1870 Development of Sayre as a railroad town began with the naming of the junction for Robert H. Sayre, Chief Engineer of the Lehigh Valley Railroad. • 1889 Cornerstone for the Packer Avenue Bridge. • 1896 . . . — Map (db m90240) HM
Pennsylvania (Bradford County), Sayre — MilltownEst. 1783
On Cayuta Street.
Prince Bryant’s gristmill became Shepards mill in 1788. The only mill between Binghamton, NY and Wilkes-Barre, PA. Shipping point for oil, lumber and plaster by raft to settlements on the Susquehanna. Later, there were nine mills operating at . . . — Map (db m90293) HM
Pennsylvania (Bradford County), Sayre — Pine Plains
On North Keystone Avenue.
This area was known by pioneers as the "Pine Plains." In 1790 near this spot Timothy Pickering met Red Jacket and his Senecas. They were on the way to the peace council at Tioga Point. — Map (db m90242) HM
Pennsylvania (Bradford County), Sayre — World War I Doughboy
On Elmer Avenue.
Sayre Penna. Our honored dead in 1914-The World War-1918

Archie T. Hatch • Orlando M. Loomis • Eugene F. Murphy • Leo A. Murphy • Arthur V. Drake • Fred D. Skiff • Clarence B. Utter • Elmer D. Jackson • William H. Decatur • Wayne R. Horton . . . — Map (db m90291) WM

Pennsylvania (Bradford County), Sylvania — Veterans Memorial
On Sylvania Road (U.S. 6) west of Dewey Avenue, on the right when traveling west.

Dedicated to the Glory of Almighty God, in honor of All Veterans of the Sylvania community who have served their country. — Map (db m120305) HM

Pennsylvania (Bradford County), Towanda — 1922 Train Station2 Washington St.
On Washington Street east of Main Street (U.S. 6), on the left when traveling east.

In 1922, the Susquehanna and New York (S & NY) constructed this building, smaller than the freight depot, (20' by 84'). This one-story building of steel lath covered with stucco has an asbestos roof. The station had three rooms: ticket office, . . . — Map (db m109653) HM

Pennsylvania (Bradford County), Towanda — American Hotel1 Bridge St.
On River Street/Merrill Parkway south of Bridge Street, on the right when traveling south.

The American Hotel is the oldest remaining hotel site in Towanda. This imposing 20- room hotel was built in the early 1800's by General William Patton, a leading Democrat, lawyer, author and biographer. The Greek Revival three-story structure . . . — Map (db m109675) HM

Pennsylvania (Bradford County), Towanda — Asylum
On Queens Road.
A settlement of French Royalists, who fled the French Revolution in 1793, was established in this valley directly opposite this marker. It was laid out and settled under the direction of Viscount de Noailles and Marquis Antoine Omer Talon. It . . . — Map (db m78907) HM
Pennsylvania (Bradford County), Towanda — Bradford County Courthouse301 Main St.
On Main Street.
Among the most prominent historic buildings in Towanda and a good example of beaux arts classical style architecture is the third Bradford County Courthouse. Ground was broken in April 1896 and the cornerstone was laid with appropriate ceremonies . . . — Map (db m90323) HM
Pennsylvania (Bradford County), Towanda — Bradford County Roll of Honored DeadIn Memoria
On Main Street south of U.S. 6, on the left when traveling south.

Bradford County - Killed in Action

[Roll of Honored Dead on five pedestals] — Map (db m110404) WM

Pennsylvania (Bradford County), Towanda — Bradford County Soldiers & Sailors Monument
On Main Street (U.S. 6) near Court Street when traveling north.
In memory of the soldiers and sailors of Bradford Co. who defended their country in the War of the Rebellion 1861 to 1865 — Map (db m90326) WM
Pennsylvania (Bradford County), Towanda — Citizens National Bank Building
On Main Street (U.S. 6) at Bridge Street, on the left when traveling north on Main Street.

Century Building — Map (db m109690) HM

Pennsylvania (Bradford County), Towanda — Courthouse AnnexCourt Street
On Court Street.
The second Bradford County Courthouse, located directly behind the present Courthouse, was constructed in 1847 and occupied in 1850. It was not long before the growing business of the county caused the Courthouse to become overcrowded. An annex was . . . — Map (db m90320) HM
Pennsylvania (Bradford County), Towanda — David Wilmot
On York Avenue (US 6).
The great Free-Soiler, who began the fight on slavery extension with the Wilmot Proviso in 1846, lived in this house. Republican Party founder; its first candidate for Governor. He died here in 1868. — Map (db m90310) HM
Pennsylvania (Bradford County), Towanda — Dr. Alice C. Evans(1881-1975)
On College Avenue 0.5 miles west of Route 6 (Route 6), on the right when traveling east.
Bacteriologist for the US Department of Agriculture who discovered that brucellosis bacteria found in raw milk caused undulant fever in humans. Despite gender discrimination in her field, she published a report in 1918 and promoted milk . . . — Map (db m122322) HM
Pennsylvania (Bradford County), Towanda — Edward Overton House19 Main St.
On Main Street (U.S. 6) north of Jefferson Street, on the right when traveling north.

In 1820 a lawyer named Edward Overton came to Towanda from Athens. His father, Thomas Overton, was one of the principal owners of the land in the new town of Towanda. Edward also became interested in land and owned the coal deposits, which . . . — Map (db m109744) HM

Pennsylvania (Bradford County), Towanda — First Presbyterian Church5 Court Street
On Court Street.
On Oct. 25, 1825, the First Congregation of the Presbyterian Church met in Towanda. Church services were held at the county’s first courthouse, which had only been completed for nine years at the time.

In 1834 the congregation built their first . . . — Map (db m90321) HM

Pennsylvania (Bradford County), Towanda — Frost's Furniture Factory1865-1933
On River Street/Merrill Parkway at Pine Street, on the right when traveling south on River Street/Merrill Parkway.

J.O. Frost's Sons Furniture establishment first operated on Charles Street. Later their block-long factory located on River Street between Pine and Bridge Streets was the hub of Towanda economy until 1933. Chairs, tables, bedsteads and bureaus . . . — Map (db m109676) HM

Pennsylvania (Bradford County), Towanda — History of 312 Main St.
On Main Street (U.S. 6) at Court Street, on the left when traveling north on Main Street.

The First National Bank of Towanda opened on this site July 28, 1863. For over 100 years this was the sole place of business for the bank. The original building was demolished in 1874 to make way for construction of the current Classical . . . — Map (db m109679) HM

Pennsylvania (Bradford County), Towanda — James H. Hawes House217 York Ave.
On York Avenue (U.S. 6) south of Walnut Street, on the right when traveling south.
In the late 1800’s James H. Hawes built this magnificent Queen Anne home displaying twin gables and very elaborate spindled porches, including a porte-cochere. Born in London, England, James came to this country with his father, a toy manufacturer. . . . — Map (db m129819) HM
Pennsylvania (Bradford County), Towanda — Masonic Building
On Pine Street west of Main Street (U.S. 6), on the right when traveling west.

Century Building — Map (db m109688) HM

Pennsylvania (Bradford County), Towanda — Maxwell-Bennett House209 York Ave.
On York Avenue (U.S. 6).
John C. Adams built this impressive Greek revival 15-room home in 1854. The family of William Maxwell occupied the home for nearly 100 years. He was president judge of Bradford County from 1912 until his death in 1925. He came to Towanda and entered . . . — Map (db m90319) HM
Pennsylvania (Bradford County), Towanda — Medal of Honor Recipients During the American Civil War1861 - 1865
On Main Street at U.S. 6, on the left when traveling south on Main Street.

Citizens of Bradford County

Sgt. Stephen Rought Co. A 141 Infantry

Cpl. Francis A Bishop Co. C, 57th Infantry

Pvt. Orren Bennet Co. D 141 InfantryMap (db m110395) WM

Pennsylvania (Bradford County), Towanda — Naming of Towanda
On River Street/Merrill Parkway at Pine Street, on the right when traveling north on River Street/Merrill Parkway.

When the first European settlers came to Towanda it was covered with a dense growth of timber and shrubs from which came its first name "Canewood." The name Towanda is an Indian term. Awandae in the Nanticoke tongue signified "a burial place." . . . — Map (db m109677) HM

Pennsylvania (Bradford County), Towanda — Oscalui
On Old Mills Road at McEwen Road on Old Mills Road.
Formerly known as Ogehage was an ancient fortified town of the Andastes located fifty rods northeasterly from this marker near the junction of Sugar Creek and the Susquehanna River. Here passed the Sheshequin Trail to the west branch of the . . . — Map (db m90307) WM
Pennsylvania (Bradford County), Towanda — 2015 — Our Veterans' Workplace - The World☆"In Times of War and in Peace, All Gave Some, but Some Gave All."☆
On Main Street at U.S. 6, on the left when traveling south on Main Street.

VETERAN: The term brings to mind the foremost notion of American patriotism and self-sacrifice. Dating back to our Revolution, near 50 million men and women joined the armed forces to defend our nation and its interests, knowingly putting their . . . — Map (db m111265) WM

Pennsylvania (Bradford County), Towanda — Sheshequin Path
On U.S. 220 at Hemlock Run Road, on the right when traveling north on U.S. 220.
Indian trail joining the Iroquois country and the Shamokin area, passed near here. Conrad Weiser took this route to Onondaga, capital of the League, to represent the Province in council with the Iroquois. — Map (db m33162) HM
Pennsylvania (Bradford County), Towanda — Stephen Foster
On Main Street (US 6).
The great writer of folk songs and ballads lived in Towanda in 1840-41. He attended Towanda Academy on the hill a short time and stayed with his brother William, a canal official. — Map (db m90311) HM
Pennsylvania (Bradford County), Towanda — The Canal House100 River St.
On Merrill Parkway (River Street) south of Jefferson Street, on the right when traveling south.
This imposing 18-room structure is a cross between Italianate and Greek Revival architecture. It is sometimes referred to as “Foster Hall” because of its association with Stephen Foster’s family. Ephriam Baird, a Philadelphia lawyer who . . . — Map (db m129815) HM
Pennsylvania (Bradford County), Towanda — The Creamery36 River St.
On River Street/Merrill Parkway south of Bridge Street, on the right when traveling south.

This solidly built multi-story brick Italianate style building has a hipped roof; a stained glass window on the west side; and arched brick surrounds. This River Street building just south of the former American Hotel has a varied history. It . . . — Map (db m109663) HM

Pennsylvania (Bradford County), Towanda — The Daily Review116 Main St.
On Main Street.
This handsome building was built in 1896 using stone from the same quarry as the Courthouse, Old Jail and Christ Episcopal Church. The building is Italianate style with a hipped roof and pressed metal cornice with paired brackets and dentils. The . . . — Map (db m90322) HM
Pennsylvania (Bradford County), Towanda — The Keystone Theatre
On Main Street (U.S. 6), on the right when traveling north.
. . . — Map (db m109649) HM
Pennsylvania (Bradford County), Towanda — The Macfarlane House21 Main St.
On Main Street (U.S. 6) north of Jefferson Street, on the right when traveling north.

James Macfarlane built his 1854 Greek Revival home on land given to him by his father-in-law Edward Overton, lawyer, landowner, and successful local businessman.

Macfarlane, lawyer and trained engineer, managed the Barclay Mines. In 1873 he . . . — Map (db m109801) HM

Pennsylvania (Bradford County), Towanda — The Old Bradford County Jail109 Pine St.
On Pine Street.
The old jail is located in the center of Towanda’s Historic District. Avery Frank, architect and contractor from Montrose, designed and built the jail. His plan included a stone dwelling for the sheriff and his family. A three-story cell block and a . . . — Map (db m90329) HM
Pennsylvania (Bradford County), Towanda — The Quintessential Soldier
On Main Street south of U.S. 6, on the left when traveling south.

Here we present our vision of the perfect U.S. soldier

He is the absolute embodiment of military perfection coupled with an eye toward compassion

He is motivated to put a quick end to hostilities by whatever means necessary

Our . . . — Map (db m110401) WM

Pennsylvania (Bradford County), Towanda — The Train Station1 Washington St.
On River Street/Merrill Parkway at Washington Street, on the right when traveling south on River Street/Merrill Parkway.

One cannot over-emphasize the importance of railroads to the continued development of Towanda as a commercial center beginning with the first Pennsylvania and New York (PA & NY) train in September 1869. In the 1870's approximately six . . . — Map (db m109655) HM

Pennsylvania (Bradford County), Towanda — The War Ravaged Tree
On Main Street south of U.S. 6, on the left when traveling south.

Here we see a representation of the desolate and absolute carnage of war. This tree once proudly stood amid peaceful stones welcoming morning breezes and warm sunshine. It has now become a bullet riddled and grenade shattered vestige of its . . . — Map (db m110417) WM

Pennsylvania (Bradford County), Towanda — Towanda Academy
On State Street at 4th Street on State Street.
Former Towanda Academy attended by Stephen C. Foster 1840. — Map (db m90330) HM
Pennsylvania (Bradford County), Towanda — Towanda First Methodist Church105 Main St.
On Main Street (U.S. 6) at Maple Street, on the right when traveling north on Main Street.

The cornerstone for First United Methodist Church of Towanda was laid Sept. 17, 1895 under the direction of Rev. James Crowe, Pastor and Dr. David S. Pratt, President of the Board of Trustees.

The architecture is Richardson Romanesque style . . . — Map (db m109854) HM

Pennsylvania (Bradford County), Towanda — Towanda Public Library104 Main St.
On Main Street (U.S. 6) at Maple Street, on the left when traveling north on Main Street.

Perhaps one of Towanda's most unusual buildings is the Public Library, donated to the town in 1897 by Frank Welles. He chose Flemish Renaissance Revival style characterized by tall steeped gables; steep roofs with lacy spires; fanciful faux . . . — Map (db m109804) HM

Pennsylvania (Bradford County), Towanda — Towanda River Bridges
On River Street/Merrill Parkway south of Bridge Street, on the left when traveling south.

One of the most important public improvements of Towanda's early days was completion of the first Towanda river bridge. A company incorporated under an Act of Legislature March 24, 1831 built the Old Wagon Bridge. John Bottom, a practical . . . — Map (db m109674) HM

Pennsylvania (Bradford County), Towanda — Towanda's Oldest House1 York Ave.
On York Avenue (U.S. 6) at Mix Avenue, on the right when traveling south on York Avenue.
Col. Harry Spalding built one of the town’s few structures of federal style architecture in 1812. He erected a combination tavern and dwelling at 1 York Ave. It is the oldest house in this borough and third oldest in the county. The building was . . . — Map (db m129817) HM
Pennsylvania (Bradford County), Towanda — United States Air ForceAim High...Fly-Fight-Win
On Main Street at U.S. 6, on the left when traveling south on Main Street.

1909 1909 — US Army Signal Corps accepted its first airplane from the Wright Brothers.

Named the 1st Aero Squadron a small group of Army Airmen became the genesis of our modern day Air Force. . . . — Map (db m117334) HM WM

Pennsylvania (Bradford County), Towanda — United States ArmyArmy Strong
On Main Street south of U.S. 6, on the right when traveling south.

1773 - 1917

16 December 1773 - "The Boston Tea Party"

19 April 1775 - "Shot heard round the world" Lexington & Concord, MA

15 June 1775 - The first Continental Congress elects George Washington as the first military . . . — Map (db m110397) HM WM

Pennsylvania (Bradford County), Towanda — United States Marine CorpsSemper Fidelis
On Main Street at U.S. 6, on the left when traveling south on Main Street.

1775 - 1917 New Providence, Bahamas Tripoli War of 1812 Battle of Chapultepec, Mexico - Spain China Relief Expedition (Boxer Rebellion) Battle of Peking - Nicaragua Vera Cruz - Haiti . . . — Map (db m117235) HM WM

Pennsylvania (Bradford County), Towanda — United States NavyNot For Self But For Country
On Main Street at U.S. 6, on the left when traveling south on Main Street.

1775 - 1917 John Paul Jones captures the HMS Drake. Battles of Lake Champlain & Lake Erie — Francis Scott Key writes our National Anthem during the bombing of Fort McHenry 09/13/1834 [sic - 1814] War of 1812 — . . . — Map (db m117293) HM WM

Pennsylvania (Bradford County), Towanda — William W. Hawes House363 York Ave.
On York Avenue (U.S. 6) south of Packer Avenue, on the right when traveling south.
The major new industry begun in Towanda in the 1880’s was James H. Hawes’ Toy Factory, located just north of the Historic District in a neighborhood still called Toytown. The Hawes firm became one of the Country’s largest. About 1894, James’ son and . . . — Map (db m129818) HM
Pennsylvania (Bradford County), Towanda — World War I Memorial
On Main Street.
In honor of the men and women of Bradford County who strove as soldiers, sailors, marines and nurses in the World War at home and overseas for the perpetuation of American ideals. — Map (db m90325) WM
Pennsylvania (Bradford County), Troy — First Presbyterian Church
On Main Street (U.S. 6) west of Exchange Street, on the left when traveling west.

Century Building — Map (db m120303) HM

Pennsylvania (Bradford County), Troy — Oscoluwa Engine & Hose Company Fire Bell
On Elmira Street (Pennsylvania Route 6) at Main Street, on the right when traveling east on Elmira Street.

This Bell cast in 1874 hung in the Old Firehouse of the Oscoluwa Engine & Hose Company and for over half a century sounded the alarm when fire threatened this community Erected on this site in honor of . . . — Map (db m120287) HM

Pennsylvania (Bradford County), Troy — Van Dyne Civic Building
On Elmira Street (U.S. 6) at Main Street, on the right when traveling east on Elmira Street.

Presented to Troy Borough School District December 7, 1916 by E. Everitt Van Dyne ———————— The Town Clock presented to Troy Borough November 25, 1914 by Stephen H. . . . — Map (db m120297) HM

Pennsylvania (Bradford County), Troy — Veterans Memorial
On Elmira Street (U.S. 6) at Fenner Avenue, on the left when traveling east on Elmira Street.

In honor of All Who Served their country in time of need.

[Dedicated] Nov. 11, 1971 — Map (db m120285) WM

Pennsylvania (Bradford County), Ulster — Armed Forces Memorial
On Main Street (US 220).
In memory of Ulster and Sheshequin Township men and women who served in our Armed Forces and for those who paid the ultimate price, we thank you. — Map (db m90305) WM
Pennsylvania (Bradford County), Wyalusing — Asylum
On Grand Army of the Republic Hwy (US 6).
A settlement of French Royalists, who fled the French Revolution in 1793, was established in this valley directly opposite this marker. It was laid out and settled under the direction of Viscount de Noailles and Marquis Antoine Omer Talon. It was . . . — Map (db m90368) HM
Pennsylvania (Bradford County), Wyalusing — Azilum
On Grand Army of the Republic Hwy (US 6).
The broad plain which can be seen from this point was the site, 1793-1803, of the French refugee colony. The Great House, built for Marie Antoinette and her son, was there and an entire village founded. — Map (db m90367) HM
Pennsylvania (Bradford County), Wyalusing — Camptown Races
On Grand Army of the Republic Hwy (US 6) at Pennsylvania Route 409 on Grand Army of the Republic Hwy (US 6).
Stephen Foster's title for the well-known song is said to have been taken from nearby Camptown. Foster's residence at Towanda and Athens may have created the association. — Map (db m90370) HM
Pennsylvania (Bradford County), Wyalusing — Communities Connected by Water
On Grand Army of the Republic Hwy (US 6).
Protecting the Upper Susquehanna Basin will also protect the Chesapeake Bay Watershed.

Upper Susquehanna Coalition & Chesapeake Bay Program Projects *Wetlands constructed for flood control and wildlife habitat

*Farm nutrient . . . — Map (db m90528)

Pennsylvania (Bradford County), Wyalusing — Friedenshuetten
On U.S. 6 at Moravian Road, on the right when traveling east on U.S. 6.

Moravian mission founded at Wyalusing Indian town by David Zeisberger in 1763. It served as a model for subsequent Indian missions. It was abandoned in 1772, when pastors Ettwein and Roth led some 200 Indians to the mission of Friedenstadt on . . . — Map (db m109636) HM

Pennsylvania (Bradford County), Wyalusing — Landscapes of Conservation
On Grand Army of the Republic Hwy (US 6).
As you drive through Bradford County you will see the patch-quilt of beauty of agriculture’s landscape. Agriculture in Bradford County has a long history of managing land and water resources to ensure both a profitable crop and a healthy . . . — Map (db m90517)
Pennsylvania (Bradford County), Wyalusing — Lime Hill
On Grand Army of the Republic Hwy (US 6).
Here Apr. 14, 1782, a party led by Sgt. Thos. Baldwin tried to rescue a woman and her children held as Indian captives. In a four-hour battle, three children were saved but the mother was killed. — Map (db m90485) WM
Pennsylvania (Bradford County), Wyalusing — Limehill Battlefield / Joseph ElliottApril 14, 1782
On Grand Army of the Republic Hwy (US 6).
Limehill Battlefield In attempting to rescue Mrs. Roswell Franklin and her four children who had been captured by Indians Sergeant Thomas Baldwin and his party met the enemy near this spot after four hours of fighting. Three of the children . . . — Map (db m90498) HM
Pennsylvania (Bradford County), Wyalusing — Sullivan Expedition Against the Iroquois Indians 1779
On Grand Army of the Republic Hwy (US 6) at Moravian Road on Grand Army of the Republic Hwy (US 6).

Wyalusing

10 1/2 miles from Vanderlip's farm. Fifth encampment of Sullivan's Army on the march from Wyoming to Teaoga, August 6-7, 1779, was on site just west of this road marked by the Moravian Indian Town Monument — Map (db m90560) WM

Pennsylvania (Bradford County), Wyalusing — Sullivan's March
On Grand Army of the Republic Hwy (U.S. 6) at Moravian Road, on the right when traveling east on Grand Army of the Republic Hwy.
Gen. John Sullivan's army camped just west Aug. 5-7, 1779, en route to attack the New York Iroquois. A major campaign, destroying 40 villages and ending the Indian-Tory frontier menace. — Map (db m90562) WM
Pennsylvania (Bradford County), Wyalusing — The Battle of Lime Hill
On Grand Army of the Republic Hwy (US 6).
The Lime Hill Battlefield, April 14th, 1782. Several hundred yards south west and in front of this marker, a rescue party of eight Patriot men ambushed a war party of thirteen Iroquois Indians who were marching five captives, Mrs. Roswell Franklin . . . — Map (db m90496) WM
Pennsylvania (Bradford County), Wyalusing — Veterans Memorial
On Marsh Street at Church Street/Taylor Avenue (Pennsylvania Route 706), on the left when traveling north on Marsh Street.

Honoring Those Who Served

[Armed Forces Branch Emblems] — Map (db m109608) HM

Pennsylvania (Bradford County), Wyalusing — Warriors Path
On Grand Army of the Republic Hwy (US 6).
A great Indian highway from Six Nations country, New York, to the Catawba country in the Carolinas. It made its way through the Allegheny Mountains by following the Susquehanna and Juniata valleys. — Map (db m90515) WM
Pennsylvania (Bradford County), Wyalusing — Wyalusing
On Grand Army of the Republic Hwy (US 6).
Named for an early town of the Munsee Delawares, which occupied the flats south of the present town. In 1760 Munsees under Papoonhank welcomed Post here, on his way toward a great Indian council beyond Allegheny River. — Map (db m90559) HM
Pennsylvania (Bradford County), Wyalusing — Wyalusing Borough Historic DistrictIncorporated 1887
On Marsh Street north of Church Street/Taylor Avenue (Pennsylvania Route 706), on the right when traveling north.

has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior

Listed September 15, 2003 — Map (db m109607) HM

Pennsylvania (Bradford County), Wysox — Azilum
On Grand Army of the Republic Hwy (US 6) at Rome Road (PA 187) on Grand Army of the Republic Hwy (US 6).
Site of the famed French refugee colony is a few miles south. Here exiles laid out a town and built La Grande Maison for the Queen and her son, the heir to the throne of France. — Map (db m90331) HM
Pennsylvania (Bradford County), Wysox — Henry J. MadillDistinguished Hero of the Civil War
On Pennsylvania Route 187.
Born Mar. 30, 1828. Died June 29, 1899.

Major 6th Reserve Pa. Vols. • Colonel 141st Regiment Pa. Vols. • Brigadier General Commanding 3rd Brigade, 1st Division, 2nd Corps. • Brevet Major General of Volunteers. — Map (db m90350) WM

Pennsylvania (Bradford County), Wysox — Lester Frank Ward — Father of American Sociology —
On Pennsylvania Route 187 at Claverack Road, on the left when traveling south on State Route 187.
"Father of American Sociology," geologist, and Civil War veteran, L.F. Ward (1841-1913), spent his youth in Myersburg working with his brother, Cyrenus Osborne Ward, labor historian, in their hub factory. He has been called "the American . . . — Map (db m90388) HM
Pennsylvania (Bradford County), Wysox — Major General John Sullivan’s MarchPassing through Wesauking
On Pennsylvania Route 187.
This stone commemorates the passing through Wesauking on August 9, and October 4, 1779 of Major General John Sullivan and his troops in the military expedition against the Six Nations.

“The glorious achievements we have exhibited in . . . — Map (db m90344) WM

Pennsylvania (Bradford County), Wysox — Rural Electrification
On Grand Army of the Republic Hwy (US 6) at Goff Road on Grand Army of the Republic Hwy (US 6).
In 1936 seventy-five percent of Pennsylvania farms had no electric service. During the next five years, with Federal support, 14 consumer-owned cooperatives were formed in the State. Claverack Rural Electric Cooperative, serving parts of eight . . . — Map (db m90354) HM
Pennsylvania (Bradford County), Wysox — Sullivan ExpeditionAgainst the Iroquois Indians 1779
On River Road (PA 2016).
Standing Stone-9 ½ miles from Wyalusing. Sixth encampment of Sullivan’s Army on the march from Wyoming to Teaoga August 8-9 1779 was on river lowlands opposite the Standing Stone. — Map (db m90362) WM
Pennsylvania (Bradford County), Wysox — Sullivan's March
On Grand Army of the Republic Hwy (US 6).
Gen. John Sullivan's army camped on the nearby river lowlands Aug. 8-9, 1779 en route to attack the Six Nations Iroquois. Sixth camp between Wyoming and Fort Sullivan. — Map (db m90364) WM
Pennsylvania (Bradford County), Wysox — Wysox Presbyterian Church
On Route 187.
This church was organized October 3, 1791 as Congregational by the Reverend Jabez Culver, a Connecticut missionary.

This was the first church of white people in Pennsylvania north of Wilkes-Barre and the mother of the Towanda Presbyterian . . . — Map (db m90348) HM


98 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement