Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Butler County Pennsylvania Historical Markers

 
Butler County Court House image, Touch for more information
By Mike Wintermantel, May 22, 2011
Butler County Court House
Pennsylvania (Butler County), Butler — Butler County
Formed March 12, 1800 from Allegheny County. Named for General Richard Butler, Revolutionary officer. A young George Washington had crossed this area, 1753. County seat was established at Butler in 1803, and the county was home of the Harmony . . . — Map (db m42636) HM
Pennsylvania (Butler County), Butler — General Richard Butler
In memory of General Richard Butler Born in Ireland One of five brothers soldiers distinguished for bravery and devoted service Captain 2d. Pennsylvania Battalion 1776 Colonel 9th. Pennsylvania Regiment 1777 Major General United . . . — Map (db m42637) HM
Pennsylvania (Butler County), Butler — Invention Of The Jeep
In September 1940 a team headed by Karl Probst delivered to the United States Army a prototype for the World War II jeep. This small, four-wheel drive vehicle was produced by the American Bantam Car Company, located one block east. Here, Bantam . . . — Map (db m42638) HM
Pennsylvania (Butler County), Cabot — Influenza Epidemic Victims
Here are buried an unknown number of local victims of the worldwide influenza epidemic of 1918-1919 -- one of history's worst epidemics in terms of deaths. In Butler County, the worst period was early October to early November 1918, with some 260 . . . — Map (db m78854) HM
Pennsylvania (Butler County), Cranberry Township — 1806 Plains Presbyterian Church
Organized in 1806, Plains Presbyterian Church was the first church to form in Cranberry Township. The first services were held in groves and a tent. A log church was built in 1820 replaced by a brick church in 1839 with the present frame structure . . . — Map (db m44425) HM
Pennsylvania (Butler County), Cranberry Township — Crider's Corners
Crider's Corners, Cranberry Township's main intersection and business district, was located here at Old Perry Highway (now Dutilh Road) and Old Mars/Freedom Road. Site of Meeder's Market and Crider's Garage. From 1908 to 1931 Crider's Corners was a . . . — Map (db m40574) HM
Pennsylvania (Butler County), Cranberry Township — Ogle
Cranberry Township's first post office, Ogle, opened 1850 in the home of Thomas Robinson on old Perry Highway (now Dutilh Road) .09 mile south of here. The post office and Ogle placename later moved to this location where postal services alternated . . . — Map (db m44378) HM
Pennsylvania (Butler County), Evans City — George Washington
Returning to Virginia from his historic visit at Fort Le Boeuf, Washington used the adjacent Venango Indian Trail. In this locality, on Dec. 27, 1753, he narrowly escaped death, being shot at by an Indian less than fifteen paces from him. — Map (db m80462) HM
Pennsylvania (Butler County), Evans City — Major George Washington
On the flats of the east side of Connoquenessing Creek, one hundred rods east of this spot, Major George Washington, then a youth twenty-one years of age, narrowly escaped death, being shot at by a hostile Indian, less than fifteen steps distant, on . . . — Map (db m42639) HM
Pennsylvania (Butler County), Fenelton — Reverend Richard C. Christy
Chaplain, 78th Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteers, 1861-64. He was credited as Pennsylvania’s first Catholic Civil War chaplain and the only one serving a chiefly non-Catholic regiment. Despite the anti-Catholic prejudice of the era, he gained a . . . — Map (db m42641) HM
Pennsylvania (Butler County), Harmony — Harmonist Cemetery
Burial place of Harmonist Society, 1805-15. Graves were not marked. The stone wall was built in 1869, after the Harmonists had returned from Indiana and settled at "Old Economy," in Beaver County. — Map (db m40434) HM
Pennsylvania (Butler County), Harmony — Harmony
First home of Harmony Society, founded 1804, by George Rapp and German followers. In 1814 moved to New Harmony, Indiana, and settled at Economy in present Ambridge, Beaver County, in 1825. — Map (db m40359) HM
Pennsylvania (Butler County), Harmony — Harmony Mennonites
Church organized 1816 by Abraham Ziegler, purchaser of the Harmonist property. The Reverend John Boyer was the first pastor. Present stone church built 1825. — Map (db m40360) HM
Pennsylvania (Butler County), Mars — Cranberry Township Veterans Memorial
. . . — Map (db m79971) WM
Pennsylvania (Butler County), Mars — USS Mars AFS-1 Ships Bell
Commissioned 21 December 1963 Decommissioned 1 February 1993 A combat stores ship manned by 430 officers and enlisted personnel First ship to use UH-460 Sea Knight helicopter for faster record setting replenishments of the US Naval . . . — Map (db m79970) HM WM
Pennsylvania (Butler County), Mars — Venango Path
A major Indian path between the Forks of the Ohio (now Pittsburgh) and the Seneca town of Venango (now Franklin) passed through here. On December 27, 1753, George Washington came this way with frontier scout Christopher Gist as they returned from . . . — Map (db m40356) HM
Pennsylvania (Butler County), Prospect — George Edward Waddell(1876-1914)
One of the greatest pitchers in baseball history. With the Philadelphia Athletics "Rube" Waddell led the American League in strikeouts 6 straight years, topping 20 wins in each of his first 4 years. During his career he won 193 games. He was known . . . — Map (db m40357) HM
Pennsylvania (Butler County), Saxonburg — John and Carl Roebling HouseBuilt in 1832
Many of the newly arrived settlers stayed here until they could build their own houses. — Map (db m57554) HM
Pennsylvania (Butler County), Saxonburg — KDKA "Dog House"1937-1940
This little building housed a "Spider Coil" at the base of the KDKA 718 foot broadcasting tower at Saxonburg. It provided a smooth path for the 50,000 watt signal to the world. — Map (db m57455) HM
Pennsylvania (Butler County), Saxonburg — The Roeblings
John A. Roebling, inventor of steel wire rope and designer of the Brooklyn Bridge, began business at Saxonburg, founded by him in 1832. His son, Washington A. Roebling, who built the Brooklyn Bridge, was born here in 1837. — Map (db m40575) HM
Pennsylvania (Butler County), Saxonburg — William A. Smith
Known as “Uncle Billy” Smith. In 1859, he drilled the world's first successful oil well with tools that he made in his blacksmith shop near Tarentum. The well, 69½ feet deep, was drilled near Titusville for Colonel Edwin Drake. . . . — Map (db m42642) HM
Pennsylvania (Butler County), Slippery Rock — Old Stone House
Pioneer wayside inn Built in 1822 and reconstructed in 1963 Administered by the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission — Map (db m42640) HM
Pennsylvania (Butler County), Zelienople — Zelienople
Founded by Baron Dettmar Basse in 1802. Named for his daughter Zelie. On the hill overlooking the town, he built Bassenheim, a palatial wooden "castle," which burned in 1842. — Map (db m40361) HM

23 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement