Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Centre County Pennsylvania Historical Markers

 
The Aaronsburg Story Marker image, Touch for more information
By Don Morfe, November 9, 2015
The Aaronsburg Story Marker
Pennsylvania (Centre County), Aaronsburg — The Aaronsburg Story
Aaron Levy, a Jewish immigrant who founded this village in 1786, donated ground for Lutheran and Reformed congregations here and presented them with a pewter communion set. In remembrance of his generosity, 30,000 people gathered in Aaronsburg on . . . — Map (db m91035) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), Bellefonte — Andrew G. Curtin
Governor of Pennsylvania, 1861-67, was born on this site. He brought about the establishment of State Normal Schools; organized the famed Pennsylvania Reserve Corps; obtained funds for the erection of State Orphan Schools. — Map (db m65581) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), Bellefonte — Anna Wagner Keichline (1889 - 1943)
First woman registered as an architect by the state (1920), this Bellefonte native, inventor, Cornell grad & women's suffrage advocate designed numerous buildings, including the Plaza Theatre here. She served as Special Agent, Army Intelligence, WWI. — Map (db m19547) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), Bellefonte — Bellefonte
Laid out by James Dunlop and James Harris, 1795. Named by Talleyrand for "beautiful fountain". Early center of the iron industry. One-time home of five of Pennsylvania's governors. — Map (db m19544) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), Bellefonte — Bellefonte
Laid out by James Dunlop and James Harris, 1795. Named by Talleyrand for "beautiful fountain". Early center of the iron industry. One-time home of five of Pennsylvania's governors. — Map (db m19674) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), Bellefonte — Bellefonte Air Mail Field
The initial stop on the first scheduled west-bound air mail flight was made here by Pilot Leon D. Smith on December 18, 1918. The site for the field was chosen by pioneer aviator Max Miller and was in regular use for air mail until 1925. — Map (db m32177) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), Bellefonte — Bellefonte Governors Memorial
To honor the seven governors who at one time lived, worked, and learned in Bellefonte.

William Bigler 1813-1880 Gov. Pennsylvania 1852-1854. William F. Packer 1807-1870 Gov. Pennsylvania 1858-1860. John Bigler . . . — Map (db m76792) HM

Pennsylvania (Centre County), Bellefonte — Centre County
Formed on Feb. 13, 1800 from Huntingdon, Mifflin, Lycoming and Northumberland counties. Named for its location in the State, and home of the Pennsylvania State University. Five governors of Pennsylvania lived in Bellefonte, county seat laid out in . . . — Map (db m19546) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), Bellefonte — Centre County Courthouse
Original building erected - 1805. Columned porch added - 1835. Main building reconstructed - 1855. War monument erected - 1906. Rear addition erected - 1910. East edition erected - 1964. Courtyard renovated - 1971. — Map (db m76785) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), Bellefonte — James A. "Billboard" Jackson (1878-1960)
A prominent African American journalist, as editor at Billboard magazine, Jackson promoted black theater during the 1920s Harlem Renaissance. He later fostered African American business activities for the US Dept. of Commerce. He was born and raised . . . — Map (db m91073) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), Bellefonte — John Montgomery Ward (1860-1925)
Baseball pioneer, born in Bellefonte, grew up here. Played for Providence, N.Y. Giants, Brooklyn, 1878-94. Pitched professional baseball's 2nd perfect game, 1880. Formed first players ' union, 1885, & Players' League, 1890. In Baseball Hall of Fame. — Map (db m65582) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), Bellefonte — Lucinda Hall 1873-1963
Honored by the Veterans of Centre County as a true patriot. In sunshine or rain, cold or snow, Lucinda with her flags walked to this station from Bald Eagle Valley to salute the departure of thousands of Centre Countians as they boarded the . . . — Map (db m91078) WM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), Bellefonte — Pennsylvania Match Factory
One of the nation's leading producers of wooden matches during the first half of the 20th century; founded 1899 by Bellefonte entrepreneurs. The factory buildings opened in 1900, using the vast resources of the surrounding lumber region. By World . . . — Map (db m19588) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), Bellefonte — Philip Benner
The ironmaster's home was at Rock. Here also were the first forge, 1794, and a nail and slitting mill. A founder of Bellefonte; leader in Centre County affairs until his death in 1832 — Map (db m91075) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), Bellefonte — The Mills Brothers
Grandfather, William H. Mills, a local Jubilee Singer, had a barber shop here, 1871-1931. Father, John H., went to Ohio. Four sons, born there, formed first vocal group to overcome racial barriers, gaining a mass audience. Father was its bass, . . . — Map (db m19585) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), Bellefonte — Union Cemetery
First burial here as early as 1808. Cemetery chartered in 1856. Here lie three Governors of Pennsylvania and their wives - Andrew Gregg Curtin (1815-1894), who served 1861-67, and Katharine Wilson Curtin (1821-1903); James Addams Beaver (1837-1914), . . . — Map (db m19586) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), Boalsburg — 103rd Engineers 28th Division
. . . — Map (db m27779) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), Boalsburg — 103rd Medical Battalion and Regiment
103rd Medical Battalion and Regiment 28th Infantry Division — Map (db m27452) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), Boalsburg — 107th Field Artillery 53rd Brigade - 28th Division American Expeditionary Forces
(First Plaque):107th United States Field Artillery 53rd Brigade 28th Division American Expeditionary ForcesThis monument was erected by the Veterans Association of the 107th Field Artillery in memory of the faithful sons of Pennsylvania who . . . — Map (db m27741) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), Boalsburg — 108th Field Artillery
(Front):World War I Champagne Oise-Aisne Lorraine Meuse-Argonne Ypres-Lys World War II Normandy Northern France Ardennes Rhineland Central Europe (Back):Organized Dec. 11, 1840 1st Vol. Inf., 102nd of the line 2nd Infantry, Nov. 30, . . . — Map (db m27422) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), Boalsburg — 108th Machine Gun Battalion
1918 108th Machine Gun Battalion Chapagne Marne Aisne Marne Oise Aisne Meuse Argone — Map (db m27453) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), Boalsburg — 109th Infantry Regiment Twenty-Eighth Division
(Front):109th United States Infantry Twenty-Eighth Division "They Preserved the Nation" Service in World War I Champagne-Marne Champagne Aisne-Marne Oise-Aisne Lorraine Meuse-Argonne Service in World War II Normandy Ardennes Northern . . . — Map (db m27751) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), Boalsburg — 109th Machine Gun Battalion
(Front):One Hundred Ninth Machine Gun Battalion Twenty Eight Division Hq Co. Allentown A Co. Lancaster B Co. Columbia C Co. Allentown D Co. Lebanon Major John W. Foos, commander They belong to history Killed in Action Lieutenants . . . — Map (db m27455) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), Boalsburg — 110th Infantry Regiment
110th Infantry Twenty-eighth Division — Map (db m27528) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), Boalsburg — 111th Infantry Regiment
(Front):In remembrance of those members of this Regiment who lost their lives defending their country's honor fighting against tyranny and for justice and liberty of all nations, the weak as well as the mighty 111th Infantry 1917 - 6th PNG - . . . — Map (db m27436) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), Boalsburg — 112th Infantry Regiment Twenty-Eighth Division
(Front):112th Infantry Twenty Eighth Division Forever Honored Forever Mourned For God and Country (Back):Dedicated to the honor of the men who served in this regiment Civil War Spanish American War Mexican Border Service World War I . . . — Map (db m27327) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), Boalsburg — 112th Machine Gun Company
(Front):In Memoriam to the men who served in the 112th Machine Gun Co. 28th Division 1917 - 1919 (Back):112th Machine Gun Co. Campaigns Dates - 1918 Champagne June 28 - July 14 Champagne-Marne July 15-July 18 Aisne-Marne July 19 - Aug. . . . — Map (db m27308) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), Boalsburg — 28th Division Shrine
Dedicated to heroic dead of Pennsylvania's famed 28th in two world wars. The Division was created Sept., 1917. The Shrine was founded by Col. Theodore Boal and made a State memorial in 1932 — Map (db m19339) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), Boalsburg — 28th Signal Battalion
Dedicated to the honor and the men and women of the 28th Signal Battalion and the lineage organizations 103rd Field Signal Battalion 28th Signal Company They have proudly served since 1908 demonstrating skills as soldiers and communicators during . . . — Map (db m27755) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), Boalsburg — Coshocton Train Wreck 109th Field Artillery
(Lower Plaque)In loving memory of the 33 men of the 109th Field Artillery killed in the train wreck Sept. 11, 1950 in Coshocton, Ohio (Upper Plaque Listing Names): Capt. Arthur J. Thomas Warrant Officers Wm. M. Wellington - . . . — Map (db m27777) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), Boalsburg — Headquarters Troop 28th Division
Home Station, Sunbury, Pa. Memorial to the men who served with this organization and to those who gave their lives while in service during the First World War — Map (db m27304) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), Boalsburg — Honoring the 28th
In 1919, the Boal Troop dedicated a monument to their fallen comrades, elsewhere on Col. Boal's estate. In the 1920s, other units of the 28th Infantry Division erected memorials in this area and began referring to it as the "Shrine." By 1971, most . . . — Map (db m27456) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), Boalsburg — M114A2 Towed 155mm Howitzer Pennsylvania Military Museum
The M114A2 howitzer, introduced in 1942 as the M1, served in World War II, Korea, and Vietnam with the Army and Marine Corps. It also served with the National Guard into the 1980s. Its 11-man crew could fire forty rounds per hour, lobbing each . . . — Map (db m20350) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), Boalsburg — M4A1(76)W General Sherman Tank Pennsylvania Military Museum
Nearly 50,000 M4 Sherman tanks saw service in all theaters of World War II and in Korea. They served as the main battle tank of the United States Army and Marine Corps. Pennsylvania foundries in Coraopolis, Eddystone, Lebanon, Sharon, Bernham, and . . . — Map (db m20310) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), Boalsburg — M59 Armored Personnel Carrier Pennsylvania Military Museum
Open topped half-track personnel carriers in use during World War II did not adequately protect occupants from small arms fire and shrapnel. The U.S. Army developed APCs, or armored personnel carriers, to solve the problem. These sturdy vehicles . . . — Map (db m20246) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), Boalsburg — M60A3 Tank Pennsylvania Military Museum
No tank performed longer than the M60 series. First introduced in 1961, the M60 series, with its advanced weapon control and mighty engine, served under the administrations of nine U.S. Presidents. The brawny tank's thick armor eventually shielded . . . — Map (db m20427) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), Boalsburg — Ordnance QF, 4.5-inch Howitzer Mark II Pennsylvania Military Museum
British commanders who has fought in the Boer War in South Africa, 1899 to 1903, were impressed with the success of the enemy's howitzers. After five years, the British army approved its own new howitzer. The 4.5-inch howitzers remained in service . . . — Map (db m20208) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), Boalsburg — The 28th Division Infantry
This place of remembrance honors 28th Division veterans of World Wars I and II. The grounds of the Shrine and the park surrounding it once belonged to the estate of Colonel Theodore Davis Boal (1867-1938). Convinced that the United States would . . . — Map (db m27752) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), Boalsburg — The Boal Troop
The Boal Troop was accepted as a provisional unit of the Pennsylvania National Guard, the Machine Gun Troop of the 1st Pennsylvania Cavalry. The troop first served in Texas, protecting the boarder against possible Mexican aggression In April 1917, . . . — Map (db m27754) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), Boalsburg — The Pennsylvania Military Museum / 28th Infantry Division Shrine
(Left Wing): The Pennsylvania Military Museum The Pennsylvania Military Museum honors the Commonwealth's military men and women past and present. It preserves the history of their significant service to the state and the nation through . . . — Map (db m27776) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), Boalsburg — Twin 40mm Self-propelled Gun, M42A1 Duster Pennsylvania Military Museum
By the time the M42 "Duster" anti-aircraft weapon system was deployed in 1953, the Soviet Union had developed high-speed aircraft that were too fast for the Duster to track. The Duster, however, found its role in the dense jungles of Vietnam. Its . . . — Map (db m27813) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), Centre Hall — Potter's Fort
Built 1777 by Gen. James Potter. A stockaded fort refuge for the settlers of the valley region. The site is on the nearby rise. — Map (db m19542) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), Howard — Great Shamokin Path
The Indian highway from Shamokin, now Sunbury, to Kittanning, left the Bald Eagle Valley to follow Marsh Creek and Little Marsh Creek. It crossed the Allegheny Mt. by way of Snow Shoe and Moshannon. — Map (db m65597) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), Howard — Warriors Path
Paths from all parts of the Six Nations country converged at Great Island. Thence the Warriors Path ran up this valley to Bald Eagle''s Nest, now Milesburg; then on south toward the Carolinas. — Map (db m65602) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), Howard — William F. Packer
The newspaper editor and publisher, and Governor of the Commonwealth, 1858-61, was born April 2, 1807, in a house which stood nearby. He died, 1870, in Williamsport and is chiefly remembered for his interest in improved transportation facilities. — Map (db m65603) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), Lemont — John I. Thompson Grain Elevator and Coal Sheds
Erected in 1885 for his son John by Lemont founder Moses Thompson, this complex was a hub of trade for Centre County. Grain was exported and coal imported on the Belle- fonte, Nittany, & Lemont Railroad, later part of the Pennsylvania Railroad, . . . — Map (db m65598) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), Milesburg — Bald Eagle's Nest
A Delaware Indian village named for a noted Munsee chief Woapalanne or "Bald Eagle." Located at union of Spring and Bald Eagle Creeks. From here raids on the frontier were made in Revolutionary days. — Map (db m65587) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), Milesburg — Eagle Ironworks
At nearby Curtin, making iron was begun about 1810 by Roland Curtin. The last old-style furnace in the U.S. was in blast here and ceased operation in 1922. — Map (db m65594) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), Pennsylvania Furnace — Pennsylvania Furnace
The remaining buildings here were part of the iron works established about 1810. Operating first as a charcoal iron manufactory, the furnace later used coke. Iron was made here as late as 1888. — Map (db m91028) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), Pennsylvania Furnace — Spruce Creek Church
Present church built in 1858 by a Presbyterian congregation organized in 1798. Their first house of worship, a log church built in 1805, was within old Graysville Cemetery, on the hilltop opposite. — Map (db m91029) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), Philipsburg — Halehurst
An Englishman's country estate known previously as Moshannon Hall, built in 1813 by Hardman Philips, brother of Henry Philipsburg's founder in 1797. The house includes 25 rooms and 13 fireplaces. — Map (db m60121) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), Philipsburg — Philipsburg
"In 1797, to a wilderness of trees 150 feet tall. Clear streams, wild beasts, and friendly Cornplanter Indians, came 12 families who accepted Henry Philips' offer of free land. Here they built Mashannon Town, now Philipsburg. — Map (db m60122) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), Philipsburg — Plumbe Forge
About six-tenths mile north are the remains of the forge built by Dr. John Plumbe in 1828. Here, "blooms" were made from pig iron carried from the Bald Eagle Valley by mule. Costs of hauling products to the Pennsylvania Canal caused the forge to . . . — Map (db m65599) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), Philipsburg — Union Church
Built of logs in 1820 by Philipsburg pioneers to serve as school and place of worship for all faiths. Remodeled in 1842, church is outstanding example of simplified American Gothic architecture. — Map (db m60120) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), Port Matilda — Juniata Iron
Along the streams of this region are ruins of many charcoal iron furnaces and forges built between 1790-1850. Juniata iron was the best in America. Its reign ended with the rise of coal and coke iron making. — Map (db m74241) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), Port Matilda — Scotia
Two miles southwest of here, an iron center called Scotia was established by Andrew Carnegie in 1881. Here houses were erected, a railroad built, and machinery set up. Some physical traces of the center have remained. — Map (db m65600) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), State College — Centre Furnace
Here Colonels John Patton and Samuel Miles operated the first charcoal iron furnace in the region, 1792-1809. Present stack used 1825-1858. In this era Centre County led in the making of Juniata iron. — Map (db m52431) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), State College — Centre Furnace Mansion
Welcome to Centre Furnace Mansion - birthplace of Penn State University and home of Centre County Historical Society. — Map (db m77055) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), State College — Moses Thompson
Partner in Centre Furnace with James Irvin and instrumental in the selection of the site for the establishment of Penn State on furnace company land. Thompson resided here at the mansion for 49 years and hosted many trustee meetings and college . . . — Map (db m52433) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), University Park — Artificial Insemination
Used for improved livestock breeding, was made feasible for dairy cattle by the work of Prof. John Almquist, who, beginning in 1944 in Borland Lab, perfected the use of antibiotics to preserve semen and developed commercial methods of using it. His . . . — Map (db m65583) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), University Park — Big Ten
On June 4, 1990, the Big Ten Conference admitted Penn State as its eleventh member. Established in 1895 as one of the nation's first intercollegiate athletic organizations, the conference instituted a blueprint for the control and administration of . . . — Map (db m65589) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), University Park — Champions for Equality
Demonstrating that sport can be a powerful force for social change, Penn State led the way in breaking the color barrier in intercollegiate football in the south. By the players' own decision, the team refused an offer to play a segregated deep . . . — Map (db m65590) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), University Park — Correspondence Courses
In 1892, under the direction of Prof. Henry Waters, Penn State became the first American institution of higher education to offer correspondence courses in agriculture. The goal was to make scientific studies available to those persons unable to . . . — Map (db m65592) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), University Park — First AG Degrees
Penn State was the first U.S. university to award Baccalaureate (1861) and Graduate (1863) degrees in agriculture. This pioneering effort to formalize higher education in agriculture helped the agricultural sciences to become an accepted and vital . . . — Map (db m65595) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), University Park — Martin Luther King Jr.
On Jan. 21, 1965, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. spoke to a crowd of 8,000 in Rec Hall as part of his efforts to draw national attention to the need for voting rights reforms that would prevent discrimination against African Americans. Dr. King's . . . — Map (db m65596) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), University Park — The Pennsylvania State University
Chartered as an agricultural college in 1855. Located on land donated by James Irvin, the school admitted its first class in 1859 to study the application of science to farming. Designated the state''s only land-grant institution in 1863. Penn State . . . — Map (db m65601) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), University Park, State College — Nittany Lion Shrine
What's a Nittany? The word Nittany is derived from the Algonquian word Nit-A-Nee meaning "single mountain." The original inhabitants of the area used Nit-A-Nee to describe the mountain, and it likely became corrupted to Nittany by the first . . . — Map (db m77539) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), University Park, State College — The Creamery
In 1892 offered America's first collegiate instruction in ice cream manufacture. A program that has helped to make Penn State an international center for research in frozen confections. The original Creamery Bldg (1889) housed the nation's earliest . . . — Map (db m77054) HM

68 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement