Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Chester County Pennsylvania Historical Markers

202 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 2
 
Marker on Wilmington Pike image, Touch for more information
By Bill Coughlin, November 6, 2008
Marker on Wilmington Pike
Pennsylvania (Chester County), Birmingham — A 51 — Battle of Brandywine
The battle ended just southwest of here at nightfall. With Howe and his troops holding the field, Washington’s force withdrew to Chester. Although he was wounded, Lafayette helped to reorganize the retreating troops, and Pulaski’s cavalry protected . . . — Map (db m13364) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), Borough of West Chester — Historic American Structureon East Gay Street in — West Chester, (once called Turk's Head) Pennsylvania
This Structure Has Been recorded by the HISTORIC AMERICAN BUILDINGS SURVEY of the United States Department of the Interior for its Archives at the Library of Congress — Map (db m92811) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), Chester Springs — Chester Springs
Earlier known as Yellow Springs. Resort since 1750. Washington's headquarters, Sept. 17, 1777, after Battle of Brandywine. Hospital for his soldiers during the winter encampment at Valley Forge, 1777-1778. — Map (db m34750) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), Chester Springs — Chester Springs
Formerly Yellow Springs A Revolutionary HospitalBuilt by authority of Congress in 1777 stood about one hundred yards north of this point. Many Revolutionary soldiers who died in it are buried in this vicinity.Dr. Samuel Kennedy its director and . . . — Map (db m34775) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), Chester Springs — Good News Productions1952 - 1974
In 1952, Good News Productions (GNP) purchased the property and buildings of the village of Yellow Springs and brought the movie industry to this rural community. The primary goal of GNP was to produce religious films in this creative and artistic . . . — Map (db m35964) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), Chester Springs — Lightfoot MillMill at Anselma
Built c.1747 by Samuel Lightfoot, this mill provided feed and grain to the local community and exemplifies a turning point in American industrial technology. A rare surviving example of a colonial-era custom water-powered grist mill, its horizontal . . . — Map (db m51310) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), Coatesville — Brandywine Iron Works - Early 1800sThe Lukens National Historic District
Issac Pennock, properly considered the founder of the business which became the Lukens Steel Company, began his career in the manufacture of iron in the early 1790s when he erected a mill at a place called Rokeby on the Buck Run in Chester . . . — Map (db m65959) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), Coatesville — Brandywine Mansion
Historic Fleming house, purchased by Moses Coates in 1787. Acquired in 1810 by Jesse Kersey and Isaac Pennock, founders of the Brandywine Iron Works. Occupied 1816-1825 by Pennock's son-in-law, Dr. Charles Lukens, whose widow Rebecca continued and . . . — Map (db m48493) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), Coatesville — Brandywine MansionLukens Historic District
The small house known as Brandywine Mansion is the oldest structure in the Lukens National Historic District. The original east section, closer to the road, dates back to the mid 1700s and the larger west section was added around 1788, shortly after . . . — Map (db m51158) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), Coatesville — Charles Lukens Huston House
. . . — Map (db m65972) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), Coatesville — Charles Lukens Huston House SiteThe Lukens National Historic District
Following his marriage in 1895 to Annie MacGregor Stewart of Savannah, Georgia, Charles Lukens Huston had this home built in 1896. The house was designed by Cope & Stewardson, Philadelphia architects who were responsible as well for his . . . — Map (db m65951) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), Coatesville — Dr. Charlotte Moore Sitterly(1898-1990)
Prominent authority on astronomy and author of more than one hundred books and articles. Sitterly was a career physicist with the Bureau of Standards, U.S. Department of Commerce. She received the American Astronomical Society award in 1937 and was . . . — Map (db m51270) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), Coatesville — Graystone - Abram Francis Huston HouseThe Lukens National Historic District
Graystone Mansion is Coatesville's most architecturally significant residence and was the home of Abram Francis Huston who succeeded his father, Dr. Charles Huston as president of the Lukens Iron & Steel Company in 1897. A grandson . . . — Map (db m65939) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), Coatesville — Ida Ella Ruth Jones(1874 – 1959)
African American self-taught artist who depicted life in rural Chester County in the first half of the 20th century. The daughter of a former slave, Jones completed more than 300 works in her 70’s and 80’s. She worked in watercolor, oil, and pencil . . . — Map (db m48476) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), Coatesville — John G. Parke
Born in this vicinity on Sept. 22, 1827, the noted Army Engineer is remembered chiefly for having set the exact boundary between the Oregon Territory and Canada. His survey, begun in 1857, was halted by service in the Civil War and was not completed . . . — Map (db m8261) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), Coatesville — Lukens Executive Office BuildingThe Lukens National Historic District
Addressing the needs of a growing business, a new office building was constructed on South First Avenue. Groundbreaking took place in 1902 and Lukens Main Office was completed in the fall of 1903. The building proved to be an aesthetic enhancement . . . — Map (db m50478) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), Coatesville — Lynching of Zachariah Walker
An African American steelworker, Walker was burned to death by a mob near here on August 13, 1911. He was accused of killing Edgar Rice, a white security guard and a former borough policeman. Fifteen local men and teenage boys were indicted for . . . — Map (db m14833) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), Coatesville — Peter Bezellon
Famed Indian trader and interpreter bought a tract of 500 acres in this area in 1736. This site is a part of the tract. He died in 1742. Bezellon and his wife, Martha, lie buried in St. John's churchyard at Compass, Penna. — Map (db m8259) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), Coatesville — Philadelphia & Lancaster Turnpike Road
This was the nations first major toll road, built by a private company incorporated 1792 by the state legislature. Completed two years later and praised as the finest highway of its day, the stone-and-gravel turnpike stretched 62 miles. The 35th . . . — Map (db m8262) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), Coatesville — TerracinaThe Lukens National Historic District
The successful growth of the Brandywine mill is reflected in Terracina, which was built in 1850-1851 by Rebecca Lukens for her daughter, Isabella Lukens Huston, and Isabella's husband, Dr. Charles Huston. Constructed in the Country Gothic style made . . . — Map (db m51159) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), Coatesville — The Lukens Mill - Early 1900sThe Lukens National Historic District
In 1891 Lukens installed its first two open hearth furnaces which were then quickly upgraded and complemented by four new 35-tons for a total of six. Lukens poured its first heat of steel on February 25, 1892. In 1899 a 48" Universal mill was added. . . . — Map (db m50752) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), Coatesville — The Lukens Mill - Late 1800sThe Lukens National Historic District
A new rolling mill was constructed in 1870 powered by a steam boiler to drive the larger rolls, which were 25" in diameter and 84" in length. The old mill was then converted to Pudding Mill to prepare stick for the new mill. In 1890, the firm . . . — Map (db m51063) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), Coatesville — The Modern MillThe Lukens National Historic District
In 1927 a new 84" mill was installed, replacing the old 84" mill of the 1870s. It could produce plates as thin as 1/8" and up to 72" wide. Also in 1927, Lukens formed the By-Products Steel Company, a subsidiary established to provide partial . . . — Map (db m50614) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), Coatesville — Whittier C. Atkinson(1893 - 1991)
Founded Clement Atkinson Memorial Hospital here, 1936, offering quality health care to all despite inability to pay. First African American president of Chester County Medical Society; Pa. Practitioner of the year, 1960. A 1924 graduate of Howard . . . — Map (db m8260) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), Devon — Captain Benjamin Bartholomew
Capt'n. Benjamin Bartholomew was born in Great Valley in the County of Chester State of Pennsylvania February 16th anno dom 1752. At the earliest period of the Revolutionary War he left his plough, and with a heart glowing with . . . — Map (db m28104) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), Devon — Devon Horse Show
First held in 1896, it is the oldest and largest outdoor multibreed competition in the nation. It was declared a US Equestrian Federation Heritage Competition in 2010, the organization’s highest honor. Originally a modest one~day show intended to . . . — Map (db m90719) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), Devon — The Baptist Church in the Great Valley
Organized in 1711 by Welsh families, it is the third oldest Baptist church in the State and the mother of eight nearby congregations. The present building, the second, was erected in 1805. — Map (db m28102) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), Downingtown — Downingtown Log House- Circa 1701 -
Downingtown Log House Has been placed on the National Register Of Historic Places — Map (db m49546) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), Downingtown — Thomas B. Read
The painter and poet was born Mar. 12, 1822, a mile away. Author of well-known “Sheridans Ride.” Spent mature years in Europe, but died in New York City, May 11, 1872, and is buried in Philadelphia. — Map (db m45501) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), East Marlborough — An Engineer's Garden
Pierre S. du Pont graduated from MIT with a degree in chemistry and took courses in mechanical drawing, water analysis, and physics, among others. He was introduced to new technologies during visits to World's Fairs at the turn of the 20th century. . . . — Map (db m87233) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), East Marlborough — Italian Water Garden
Pierre du Pont, Longwood Gardens' founder, built this cool, shady fountain garden from 1925 to 1927. The basic layout of the garden is similar to one seen by Mr. and Mrs. du Pont at the Villa Gamberaia, near Florence, Italy, on their 1913 European . . . — Map (db m87197) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), East Marlborough — Peirce's ParkAn Arboretum and Pleasure Ground — Heritage, Horticulture & Design
The property that became Longwood Gardens was originally owned by Quaker farmer George Peirce, who purchased the land from William Penn in 1700. George Peirce's great-grandsons loved botany and began a collection of trees near the original . . . — Map (db m87195) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), East Marlborough — Peirce's WoodsYesterday, Today, and Tomorrow
The Peirce family, owners of this land from 1700 to 1905, collected and planted trees in rows near the house. By 1850, they had developed Peirce's Park, one of this nation's finest arbortums. The adjoining woodland is known as Peirce's Woods. In . . . — Map (db m87196) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), East Marlborough — Pierre S. du Pont, Fountain Visionary
Inspired by the success of the Italian Water Garden and Open Air Theatre fountains, Pierre S. du Pont unveiled the Main Fountain Garden in 1931. The goal was to rival the fountains he had seen in Europe and at the 1893 World Columbian Exposition in . . . — Map (db m87214) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), East Marlborough — The Peirce - du Pont HouseLongwood Heritage Exhibit
The Peirce-du Pont House takes its name from the two families who lived here for a combined total of over 200 years. When Pierre S. du Pont acquired Longwood from the Peirce family in 1906, his purchase included their early 18th century farmhouse . . . — Map (db m87148) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), Elverson — Anthracite FurnaceA new ironmaking method
In 1853, the Hopewell partners built a hot-blast anthracite furnace here. This new furnace did not burn charcoal but used anthracite coal to smelt iron — an attempt to reduce fuel costs and increase iron production. Hopewell's anthracite . . . — Map (db m23867) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), Elverson — Charcoal KilnsCharring in ovens
In the mid-1800s, brick ovens or kilns were built here in an attempt to modernize the charcoal-making process. Believed to be economically beneficial, these kilns fired and produced charcoal but proved unsuccessful. Today the only indication of . . . — Map (db m23868) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), Elverson — Charcoal PitMaking furnace fuel
Throughout surrounding hills are remains of hundreds of pits such as this one in front of you. Workers, or colliers, tended these pits to transform wood into charcoal — a pure carbon fuel. Colliers ignited stacked wood covered with leaves . . . — Map (db m23977) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), Elverson — Colonel Thomas Bull1744 – 1837 — Founder and builder of Bulltown
Colonel Thomas Bull 1744 – 1837 Patriot and Revolutionary War Hero * Commanded the Chester County “Flying Camp” Militia Regiment in American efforts to repel the British occupation of New York city * Captured upon . . . — Map (db m78172) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), Elverson — Cooling ShedHauling and cooling charcoal
Teamsters drove wagonloads of hot, newly made charcoal to this cooling shed. Paid by the load delivered, workers dumped charcoal here by removing wagon floorboards. Once charcoal cooled, it was moved and piled in the stone storage house in front of . . . — Map (db m23980) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), Elverson — HeadracesPowering the water wheel
Ahead of you is a large wooden trough called a flume, part of the west headrace. Water from surrounding Hopewell land flowed down this flume and spilled into buckets on the water wheel, providing a reliable source of water to power the blast . . . — Map (db m24027) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), Elverson — Ironmaster's Garden
An elaborate arrangement of flowers, herbs, and fruits once decorated these terraces. Violets, poppies, roses, daffodils, and hollyhocks were formally arranged in the ironmaster's garden. Rosemay and thyme scented the air as Hopewell's gardener . . . — Map (db m23988) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), Elverson — Warwick Furnace — Placed on the National Register of Historic Places - 1976
Built 1737 by Anna Nutt and Co. Made first Franklin stoves, 1742. Supplied shot and cannon for American revolutionists. Furnace a mile and a half away on side road; iron mines a mile west on the highway. — Map (db m51340) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), Exton — Weaver’s Cottage
This stone home was erected circa 1798 on the foundation of an 18th century Log Building owned by John Quinn, Weaver and the original proprietor of the townships first Tavern, The Fox Chase Inn. For many years the cottage was associated with the . . . — Map (db m48322) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), Frazer — Battle of the Clouds
Following the September 1777 Battle of Brandywine, Continental forces retreated to regroup along Swedesford Road near the White Horse Tavern. With British troops in pursuit, the onset of a sudden downpour and resulting wet gunpowder delayed an . . . — Map (db m84959) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), Glenmoore — Springton Manor
The largest reserved estate of the Penns in Chester County. It was first authorized by William Penn as a 10,000 acre tract in 1701. After resurvey in 1730, it contained 8,313 acres, including most of present Wallace Township. The southern boundary . . . — Map (db m84961) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), Immaculata — The Battle of the Clouds
To commemorate The Battle of the Clouds which took place on or near the present site of this college 16 September 1777 — Map (db m77077) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), Kennett Square — Battle of Brandywine
On Sept. 11, 1777, an American force of about 11,000 men, commanded by Washington, attempted to halt a British advance into Pennsylvania. The Americans were defeated near Chadd’s Ford on Brandywine Creek by approximately 18,000 British and Hessian . . . — Map (db m2085) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), Kennett Square — A48 — Battle of Brandywine
Howe planned two separate attacks against the American line. In early morning, the British Army divided here. Knyphausen’s troops went east to engage the center of the line at Chadd’s Ford, while a force under Cornwallis marched approximately 6 . . . — Map (db m2086) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), Kennett Square — Indian Hannah Birthplace1730 - 1802
Indian Hannah The last of the Indians in Chester County was born in the vale about 300 yards to the East on the land of the protector of her people the Quaker assemblyman William Webb Her mother was Indian Sarah and her grandmother . . . — Map (db m72948) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), Kennett Square — Kennett Square — National Register of Historic Places - 1989
Borough of Kennett Square National Register Historic District ~>>>*<<<~ Incorporated 1855 — Map (db m50604) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), Kennett Square — State Fencibles of Philadelphia Campsite

On the hill north of this marker the State Fencibles of Philadelphia camped in the summer of 1814 enroute to the defense of Baltimore during the War of 1812 — Map (db m102683) HM

Pennsylvania (Chester County), Kennett Square — The Manor of Steyning
The Manor of Steyning of 15,500 acres patented by William Penn for "Fatherly Love" and one beaver skin yearly to his daughter Laetitia Penn at Philadelphia, October 23, 1701 is here marked on its western line adjoining . . . — Map (db m52068) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), Landenberg — Minguannan Indian Town
Minguannan Indian Town Was Located Here The Chief Machaloha or Owhala and his people of the Unami Group * Their Totem * The Tortoise * of the Lenni-Lenape or Delawares Sold To William Penn The Lands between Delaware . . . — Map (db m61971) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), Lincoln University — Hosanna Meeting House
Founded by free Blacks who had settled in this area, it was first known as the "African Meeting House," Formally organized in 1843 as an African Union Methodist Protestant church. A station stop on the Underground Railroad, its many visitors . . . — Map (db m8133) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), Lincoln University — Lincoln University
Chartered as Ashmun Institute, April 29, 1854. Founded by Rev. John Miller Dickey for the purpose of providing liberal higher education for people of African ancestry in America. In 1866, it became Lincoln University, interracial and international. — Map (db m8132) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), Lyndell — Thomas Buchanan Read
Poet – Painter – Sculptor Was born March 12, 1822 In the house two hundred and eighty feet East of this point Marked by Chester County Historical Society 1912 — Map (db m92809) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), Malvern — "We bury’d our Dead next day in the field of Battle, All kill’d by the sword and Bayonet."
On the morning after the battle, Colonel Adam Hubley of the 10th Pennsylvania wrote, “I sent my Major [Caleb North] with 4 of our Horsemen on the field who counted our Dead bodys, the enemy’s were taken off…” The two or three . . . — Map (db m13662) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), Malvern — “…The most dreadful scene I have ever beheld.”
“The Shrieks, Groans, imprecations, deprecations, The Clashing of Swords and bayonets &c&c&c, was more expressive of Horror than the Thunder of the artillery &e on the Day of action.”Lieutenant Martin Hunter You are now facing . . . — Map (db m13614) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), Malvern — “A Dreadful scene of havock”
In 1782, five years after Paoli, this picture was painted in London for a British officer who participated in the battle. Although the artist, Xavier della Gatta, never saw the Paoli Battlefield, this rare contemporary image of Revolutionary War . . . — Map (db m13507) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), Malvern — “Remember Paoli!”
Because of a heroic rear guard action, Wayne was able to escape the Battle of Paoli with 1900 men. The survivors of Paoli never forgot the horror of that night. Indeed, it inspired them to fight with a vengeance at the Battle of Germantown, where . . . — Map (db m13621) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), Malvern — “Remember Paoli!”
During the early 1800’s the cry “Remember Paoli!” stirred the hearts of listeners with personal memories of the harsh realities of war and lost loved ones. There was still an abiding desire to gather together on the anniversary of that . . . — Map (db m13661) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), Malvern — Battlefield Site Map
Other local historic sites of interest 1. General Warren Inn (Formerly the Warren Tavern) 2. Waynesborough Restored home of General Wayne 3. Valley Forge National Historical Park 4. St. Peter’s in the Great Valley Episcopal Church 5. Great . . . — Map (db m13623) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), Malvern — Camp Life
While on campaign, the armies tried to keep their baggage to a minimum, and tents required wagons. The British left most of their tents on their ships, so they built shelters called “wigwams” out of brush, leaves, cornstalks, sod, straw, . . . — Map (db m13617) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), Malvern — Duffy’s Cut Mass Grave
Nearby is the mass grave of fifty-seven Irish immigrant workers who died in August, 1832, of cholera. They had recently arrived in the United States and were employed by a construction contractor, named Duffy, for the Philadelphia and Columbia . . . — Map (db m13400) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), Malvern — General Wayne’s EncampmentSept 19-29 1777
“At about 12 o’clock Genl. Wayne came riding along in the rear of the 2nd Brigade Calling out ‘Turn out my Boys, the Lads are Comeing, [we’ll give] them a push with the Bayonet through the Smoak.’ The Troops turned out as quick as Could be . . . — Map (db m13509) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), Malvern — Goshenville~c. 1704~ — National Register of Historic Places - 2000
Village of Goshenville ~c. 1704~ _______ Historic District National Register of Historic Places — Map (db m50826) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), Malvern — Historic Sugartown — Placed on the National Register of Historic Places ~ 1984
Village of Sugartown ~ c.1790 ~ Historic District National Register of Historic Places — Map (db m62397) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), Malvern — John H. Ware 3rd, Commerce Center — Chester County Chamber of Business & Industry
John H. Ware 3rd August 29, 1908 – July 29, 1997 B.S. University of Pennsylvania; Chairman Penn Fuel Gas, Inc.; Former Burgess; Elected three terms to Pennsylvania Senate; Chairman, Republican Finance Committee of PA; Trustee, . . . — Map (db m51111) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), Malvern — Malvern Area World War I Memorial
The men of the Borough of Malvern and the Townships of East & West Whiteland, Willistown and East & West Goshen who served in the World War Deceased Carlton B. Cox • Clarence S. Evans • John J. Gleason • John V. Newlin • Norman J. Quinn • Wilmer . . . — Map (db m44046) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), Malvern — Malvern Memorial Parade
In 1817, nearly 40 years after the Revolutionary War, the first parade commemorating the anniversary of the Paoli Massacre was held. More than 400 volunteer troops participated “in a slow solemn march.” Three years after the Civil War . . . — Map (db m13680) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), Malvern — Malvern World War II Memorial
These grounds have been landscaped by the citizens of the Borough of Malvern in memory of the boys who made the supreme sacrifice World War II 1941             1945 Richard V. LaRue Charles F. Morris       Robert J. Miller Louis J. Colona       . . . — Map (db m44044) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), Malvern — Massacre Farm / 19th Century House
Massacre Farm North To E. Whiteland Included A Site. Southwest of This Marker. The 19th Century House and Springhouse, Headwater of Crum Creek. Were torn down in 1989 — Map (db m48226) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), Malvern — Okehocking Land Grant — National Register of Historic Places
Okehocking Land Grant Historic District ~ c. 1703 ~ National Register of Historic Places — Map (db m50487) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), Malvern — Paoli
Front of Monument: Sacred to the memory of the patriots who on this spot fell a sacrifice to British barbarity during the struggle for American Independence on the night of the 20th September 1777. Left Side of Monument: The atrocious . . . — Map (db m13399) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), Malvern — Paoli Massacre Monument
(front of monument) Sacred to the memory of the patriots who on this spot fell, a sacrifice to British barbarity during the struggle for American Independence on the night of the 20th September 1777. (left side of monument) The . . . — Map (db m13444) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), Malvern — Paoli Veterans Monument
. . . — Map (db m44045) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), Malvern — Rear of the Camp
You are standing at the rear of the camp where the wagons were parked. The steeple of the Baptist Church marks the approximate location of Picket Post #3, which guarded the right flank. Lieutenant Samuel Brady was with Picket #3: “Brady . . . — Map (db m13640) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), Malvern — Site of Paoli Massacre
Site of Paoli Massacre MALVERN Sept. 20, 1777 — Map (db m49381) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), Malvern — Site of the Paoli Massacre20 September 1777
These Memorial Grounds commemorate the engagement in the Revolutionary War known as the Paoli Massacre, an attack by the British Army on American troops, that took place near this spot toward midnight of September 20, 1777. About 150 American . . . — Map (db m13505) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), Malvern — The Land on Which the Battle of Paoli was Fought
The land on which the Battle of Paoli was fought has been farmland and woodland since the mid-18th century. Ezekiel Bowen, a farmer of Welsh descent, purchased this land in 1764. County records note that he sold it to Richard Mason of Philadelphia . . . — Map (db m13619) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), Malvern — The Paoli Battlefield — Placed on the National Register of Historical Places ~ 1997
The Battle of Paoli, also called “The Paoli Massacre”, occurred at midnight on September 20-21, 1777. After their defeat at Brandywine on September 11, Washington’s forces retreated toward Philadelphia, regrouped, and returned to Chester . . . — Map (db m62398) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), Malvern — The Paoli Memorial Association
Since 1896, the 22-acre tract that is the final resting place for the victims of the Paoli Massacre has been under the watchcare and protection of the Paoli Memorial Association. In 1896, a small group of citizens petitioned the Court of Chester . . . — Map (db m13664) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), Malvern — This Wall
This wall reconstructed in 1964 under the supervision of Raymond S. Cox and J. Gilmore Wilson. The wall contains some stones taken from the old foundations of the Ezekial Bowen log cabin which was standing and occupied by some American officers on . . . — Map (db m16348) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), Marshallton — Here Rests Indian Hannah~ Hannah Freeman ~ — The last living Native American in Chester County, PA
Here Rests Indian Hannah The Last of the Lenni-Lenape Indians in Chester County who died in 1802 — Marked by Chester County Historical Society 1909 — Map (db m82070) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), Marshallton — Indian Hannah1730-1802
Indian Hannah 1730-1802 The last of the tribe of Lenni-Lenape in Chester County — Map (db m72947) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), Marshallton — Indian Rock
Beside the stream below by the Indians called Wawassan is “Indian Rock” whence ran the claim of the Lenni-Lenape to the source of the Brandywine — Map (db m62056) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), Marshallton — Marshalton Inn1793 — National Register of Historic Places
The Marshalton Inn Licensed 1822 Has Been Placed on the National Register of Historic Places By The United States Department of the Interior Constructed c. 1793 — Map (db m62004) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), Marshallton — Nathan Simms1851-1934 — the Slave Boy at the Assassination of Lincoln
The Slave boy who helped Booth escape the night of Lincoln’s assassination, but told the Union soldiers the next day the direction Booth took, thus aiding in his capture. — Map (db m62054) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), Marshallton — The Home and Arboretum of Humphry Marshall — Placed on the National Register of Historic Places - 1971
The Home and Arboretum of Humphry Marshall Early American Botanist 1722 – 1801 marked by Chester County Historical Society 1913 — Map (db m62392) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), Marshallton — The Marshallton Historic District~circa 1764~ — Placed on the National Register of Historic Places in – 1986
The Village of Marshalton ~Circa~ 1764 National Register Historic District — Map (db m62055) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), Marshallton — The Star Gazers' Stone
The Star-Gazers’ Stone Erected in 1764 by Mason and Dixon in locating the Pennsylvania-Maryland Boundary Line Being 15 miles North thereof and 31 miles due West of Philadelphia. Here they also measured a degree of Latitude on the Earth’s surface . . . — Map (db m50761) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), Marshallton — Trimble's Ford — Howe & Cornwallis crossed the Brandywine here in 1777
September 11, 1777, while on the march to the Battlefield of Brandywine, the British Army under Howe and Cornwallis crossed the Brandywine at the ford just south of this point. __________ Erected by The Pennsylvania . . . — Map (db m50825) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), Marshallton — Trimbleville Historic DistrictWest Bradford Township — “Between the Brandywines”
Trimbleville, circa 1740, was named after Irish immigrant James Trimble. Located along the 1728 Great Valley Road, the hamlet grew up around one of Chester County’s earliest grist mills, powered by the Broad Run. Due East, on the Brandywine Creek, . . . — Map (db m97793) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), Marshaltom — Site of Mason & Dixon’s “Stargazing” Observatory — 1764
Site of Mason & Dixon’s “Stargazing” Observatory 1764 In the roadbed near this stone, a square iron spike marks the original location of the astronomical observatory used by surveyor-astronomers Charles Mason and Jeremiah . . . — Map (db m94546) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), Marshalton — Humphry Marshall(1722~1801)
One of the first nurserymen in the nation and the author of the first book on North American trees and shrubs. Arbustum Americanum: The American Grove. Marshall is known as the Father of American Dendrology. He regularly supplied native . . . — Map (db m82071) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), New London — Thomas McKean
The signer of the Declaration of Independence, Chief Justice of Pennsylvania and Governor, from 1799 to 1808, was born on this farm on March 19, 1734. Also active in the politics of Delaware, he encouraged Caesar Rodney to cast the deciding vote for . . . — Map (db m39128) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), Newlin, Township — Cabin of Indian Hannah
In a rude cabin across the vale lived “Indian Hannah” who died 1802 Last of the Lenni-Lenape in Chester County — Map (db m72946) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), Newtown Square — Okehocking Indian Town
Okehocking Indian Town The Chiefs Pokhais, Sepopawny, and Muttagooppa With their people of the Unami Group *Their Totem* *The Tortoise* Of the Lenni – Lenape or Delawares were moved from lower Ridley and Crum Creeks by . . . — Map (db m50486) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), Nottingham — Parker Kidnapping & Rescue
Emboldened by the 1850 Fugitive Slave Law, Maryland slave catchers kidnapped Rachel and Elizabeth Parker from the Nottingham area in 1851. Rachel’s employer Joseph Miller was murdered in a failed attempt to rescue her from Baltimore. Public outrage . . . — Map (db m84573) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), Oxford — Hopewell Bell Tower
This bell tower was constructed from components saved from the demolition of what was last known as the Hopewell Elementary School and was previously the Oxford High School. The building was designed by W.L. Plack of Philadelphia and constructed in . . . — Map (db m8130) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), Oxford — Hopewell Historic District
A borough from 1853 to 1914, Hopewell was a laboratory for progressive farming, milling, and educational practices. Samuel Dickey (1769-1835) was an agricultural innovator, and the Dickeys pioneered in establishing area schools. The family, spurred . . . — Map (db m8131) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), Paoli — Gen. Anthony Wayne
The house in which the Revolutionary leader and Indian fighter was born, Jan. 1, 1745, stands about a mile away. Died at Erie, Dec. 15, 1796; now buried at St. David’s Church, four and a half miles away. Pennsylvania Historical and Museum . . . — Map (db m13370) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), Phoenixville — American Legion Post 482 War Memorial
This tree is dedicated as a memorial to our comrades Phoenixville Post 482 American Legion Walter Caffrey • Alfred I. Campbell William E. Carr • Joseph C. Chrisman Ralph H. Cowell • William Cox Louis H. Ennis • George W. Erb . . . — Map (db m25119) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), Phoenixville — George Washington’s Coffee Bean Tree
This Coffee Bean Tree a Scion of a Tree planted at Mount Vernon by George Washington A Tree which he raised from Seed Brought Back by Him from the Ohio Valley in 1784 Replanted Here – 1954 — Map (db m51756) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), Phoenixville — Graceanna Lewis(1821-1912)
An early female scientist considered one of the best educated female naturalists of her day, Lewis dedicated her life to the study of botany and zoology. She exhibited her Chart of the Animal Kingdom at the Centennial Exposition in 1876, and won . . . — Map (db m84957) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), Phoenixville — Honor Court to Brigadier General Lachlan McIntosh — Protector of General George Washington
Honor Court to Brigadier General Lachlan McIntosh A General charged with the Safety of George Washington, the Commander in Chief of the Continental Army at Valley Forge 1777-78 A Native of Georgia in Command of the “Life . . . — Map (db m51742) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), Phoenixville — Horse-Shoe Trail
Start of the Horse-Shoe Trail in Penna. Valley Forge to Appalachian Trail on Stony Mt. 121 miles – through Chester, Berks, Lancaster, Lebanon, Dauphin counties. This marker erected 1972 by the Horse-Shoe Trail Club, Inc.   1935 in memory . . . — Map (db m45264) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), Phoenixville — Phoenix Iron & Steel Company
ASM International The Materials Information Society has designated Phoenix Iron & Steel Company A Historic Landmark “Established in 1783, from a modified grist mill, the Phoenix Iron & Steel Works was the site of many metalworking . . . — Map (db m23710) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), Phoenixville — Phoenix Iron Company
Established in 1783 and incorporated in 1855, the Phoenix “works” produced nails, rail, Civil War cannons, weaponry for 20th century wars, and structural steel. Among its well known products were the Griffen Gun, 1861, and the Phoenix . . . — Map (db m23707) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), Phoenixville — Phoenixville Vietnam War MemorialLest We Forget
We salute our Phoenixville men who served with honor, distinction, valor and pride in the Vietnam War... These men made the ultimate sacrifice and will never return. PFC. Thomas J. Vontor July 9, 1966 Lt.(JG) James Kelly Oct. 26, . . . — Map (db m23737) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), Phoenixville — Phoenixville War Memorial
This plaque is dedicated to those who gallantly served during World War I This plaque is dedicated to those who gallantly served during World War II This plaque is dedicated to those who gallantly served during Korean War This . . . — Map (db m23738) WM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), Phoenixville — Symbols of Steel Sculpture Garden
The wrought iron Phoenix Columns here in the Symbols of Steel Sculpture Garden once supported the floors of the Stegmaier Brewery, a Wilkes-Barre, PA, landmark. The Romanesque style brewery building was constructed in the late 19th century and . . . — Map (db m23715) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), Phoenixville — The Griffen Cannon and Memorial
The Griffen Cannon One of 1400 guns made at Phoenix Iron Company Shops between 1860 and 1865. Invented by John Griffen These 3 inch wrought iron rifled field pieces served the Union forces with great merit during the Civil War. . . . — Map (db m23716) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), Phoenixville — To Honor the Maker of First American FlagBetsy Ross
[In Circle] To Honor the Maker of First American Flag Erected 1923 Elizabeth Griscom ROSS Ashbourne Claypoole 1752 1836 BETSY ROSS — Map (db m51739) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), Phoenixville — To Marylanders Who Served Here — For the Freedom of you who read this
To Marylanders Who Served Here Col. Tench Tilghman, Confidential Aide to Washington, who wrote:--- --“formerly of my family - in every action (of) the main army - often refused his pay - left as fair reputation as ever . . . — Map (db m51458) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), Phoenixville — Valley Forge General Hospital
Opened in 1943, it was among the nation's largest military hospitals by the end of World War II. Able to treat more than 3,000 patients in over 100 buildings, the facility specialized in the pioneering treatment of war-related eye and burn injuries, . . . — Map (db m71355) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), Phoenixville — Village of Valley Forge
Village settled by the workers at iron forge begun in 1742. The forge and part of village were burned by the British army in 1777. Washington's quarters during the winter of 1777-78 were in the Isaac Potts' house, a part of the original village. — Map (db m51761) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), Phoenixville — Village of Valley Forge
Village settled by the workers at iron forge begun in 1742. The forge and part of village were burned by the British army in 1777. Washington's quarters during the winter of 1777-78 were in the Isaac Potts' house, a part of the original village. — Map (db m51762) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), Pottstown — South Coventry Township WW II Memorial
In Honor of Residents of South Coventry who served in World War II 1941 1945 *Michael Kopcho *Carrol E. Moses John C. Asay • R. Carey Atkinson • Stanley Bealer • Thomas L. Bishop • George D. Bodor • Joseph J. Bodor • J. Penrose Boens . . . — Map (db m41687) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), Pottstown — Welkinweir
This Property is Listed in The NATIONAL REGISTER of HISTORIC PLACES By The United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m51486) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), Spring City — Pennhurst State School & Hospital
Between 1908 and 1987, more than 10,500 Pennsylvanians with developmental disabilities lived here. Public controversy over the inhumane treatment of residents and two decades of complex litigation, including three arguments before the US Supreme . . . — Map (db m32196) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), Valley Forge — Patriots of African Descent
who served, suffered and sacrificed during the Valley Forge encampment, 1776-1778 "Throughout these historic and hallowed campsites were courageous Black patriots who participated in the nation's bitter fight for independence." Charles L. . . . — Map (db m6808) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), Valley Forge National Park — Quarters of Major General William AlexanderLord Sterling — Placed on the National Register of Historic Places • 1974
Quarters of Maj. Gen. William Alexander Lord Sterling Continental Army During the Valley Forge Encampment December 19, 1777 – June 19, 1778 Maj. James Monroe Fifth President of the United States Also quartered here . . . — Map (db m62396) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), Wayne — Anthony Wayne's Headquarters, 1777-78
Six hundred yards N.E. of this stone were the headquarters of Anthony Wayne in 1777-78. — Map (db m28105) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), West Chester — 97th Regiment of Pennsylvania Volunteers Memorial
(East Side): Erected by the Surviving Members of the Ninety Seventh Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteers to the Memory of Its Dead. Dedicated October 29, 1887 (North Side): Field and Staff Officers at the organization of the . . . — Map (db m41062) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), West Chester — Bank of Chester CountyNational Register Of Historic Places — Historic Site 2 Borough of West Chester
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places — Map (db m70662) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), West Chester — Barnard Street Public School - Denney Tag CompanyDenney Reyburn Senior Apartments — National Register of Historic Places
The National Registry of Historic Places Denney Reyburn Senior Apartments 1841-1887 ~ Barnard Street Public School First public school in West Chester 1887-1985 ~ Tag factory of S.L. Denney First automatic tag manufacturing plant . . . — Map (db m108804) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), West Chester — Battle of BrandywineSept. 11, 1777
The British attack on the American right wing began here late in the afternoon. After heavy fighting, the defense line which Sullivan formed hastily near Birmingham Meeting House was forced to retreat to Dilworthtown, 2 miles SE. Reinforcements from . . . — Map (db m39590) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), West Chester — Battle of BrandywineSeptember 11, 1777
The American Right Flank Slows the British Advance General Adam Stephen’s 3rd and 4th Virginia Regiments situated on the far right end of the American line on the crest of the present day Sandy Hollow Heritage Park held their positions until . . . — Map (db m108364) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), West Chester — Bayard Rustin(1910 -1987)
Born here, the civil rights leader and pacifist organized the 1963 March on Washington. Head of A. Philip Randolph Institute, 1966-1979. Elected to Henderson High School Hall of Fame. — Map (db m8243) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), West Chester — Birmingham Friends Meeting House
Erected in 1763 Used as a hospital after The Battle of Brandywine September 11, 1777 — Map (db m41301) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), West Chester — Birmingham Hill
The Battle of Brandywine was the largest and longest battle of the American Revolution • At 4 am, September 11, 1777, British troops marched from Kennett Square towards the colonial capital of Philadelphia. • Gen. Washington positioned many of . . . — Map (db m73804) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), West Chester — Birthplace of Isaac Sharpless — Placed on the National Register of Historic Places - 2011
Birthplace of Isaac Sharpless 1848 — 1920 Educator Quaker Leader Devoted Citizen Mathematician-Astronomer-Historian President of Haverford College 1887 – 1917 — Map (db m62393) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), West Chester — Brandywine Battlefield A Commonwealth Treasure
Brandywine Battlefield A Commonwealth Treasure For all to protect and preserve as the site of one of the major battles in the colonists’ fight for independence — Map (db m41299) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), West Chester — Camp Elder Civil War Paroled P.O.W. Camp
After the July 1863 Battle of Gettysburg, over 2,000 Union prisoners were held at a makeshift camp here, awaiting exchange for Confederate prisoners. Retreating armies often issued battlefield paroles to captured enemy soldiers, who were then held . . . — Map (db m68586) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), West Chester — Chester County
One of Pennsylvania's three original counties, formed 1682 by William Penn. Name derived from Cheshire in England. West Chester, the county seat since 1788, was incorporated in 1799. County was the scene of important military activities in 1777-1778. — Map (db m50505) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), West Chester — Chester County CourthouseWest Chester, PA — Placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1972
The first court house within the limits of the present County of Chester stood at this corner on a plot of ground 115 feet in front by 165 feet in depth The building, begun in 1784 and completed in 1786, was used until 1846 when the present . . . — Map (db m50499) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), West Chester — Chester County World War II Veterans Memorial
Chester County Remembers World War II Veterans Community Commemorative Committee of Chester County (1991 – 1995) November 11, 1995 — Map (db m49253) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), West Chester — Columbus Penn Evans(1824 - 1854)
Side One: Columbus P. Evans A Citizen of Delaware Born in Pennsylvania September 6th 1824 Died at West Chester February 19, 1854 Side Two: Editor of the Delaware Republican 1843 – 1854 Mayor of the City of Wilmington . . . — Map (db m81744) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), West Chester — Court of Quarter SessionsAugust 28, 1764 — An Application to sell Spirits at Martins Tavern
The Petition of Joseph Martin of the Township of West Bradford in the County of Chester Humbly Showeth. “That there is a necessity for a Publick house for the Entertainment of Travellers in said Township, there being many large roads . . . — Map (db m66896)
Pennsylvania (Chester County), West Chester — David Townsend House — Historic Site 5 - Borough of West Chester
David Townsend House This Property Devised December 1951 by Marion Hoopes Stevenson To the Chester County Historical Society As a memorial To her Great-Grandfather DAVID TOWNSEND 1787 – 1858 Banker, Botanist, Civic . . . — Map (db m50314) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), West Chester — Disabled Veterans of Chester County Pennsylvania Memorial
To honor all disabled veterans of Chester County who served their country and were wounded or injured in the line of duty DAV 90 — Map (db m49144) WM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), West Chester — Down by the Water’s EdgeStroud Preserve
Even small creeks are part of huge interconnected watersheds. Water from the East Branch Brandywine Creek, which meanders through Stroud Preserve, flows into the Christina River on its way to the Delaware Bay. The Brandywine-Christina water shed . . . — Map (db m84973) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), West Chester — Eusebius Barnard(1802–1865)
Born a Quaker, Barnard became a member of the Progressive Friends movement and upheld its active affirmation of the ideals of temperance, equality of women, and abolition of slavery. His farm became a station on the Underground Railroad. He and his . . . — Map (db m42520) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), West Chester — Everhart Grove — Today known as Everhart Park
EVERHART GROVE Donated to the Borough of West Chester By Dr. Isaiah Everhart In the year 1905 Erected 1920 — Map (db m72833)
Pennsylvania (Chester County), West Chester — First Defense LineAmerican Army
To mark the site of the first line of defense of the American Army at the Battle of the Brandywine 11 September 1777 — Map (db m41300) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), West Chester — Frederick Douglass(1818 - 1895)
Champion of human freedom, African American abolitionist, newspaper editor, U.S. Colored Troops recruiter, U.S. ambassador to Haiti, and orator, Frederick Douglass gave his last public address "Against Lynch Law" here on February 1, 1895. A frequent . . . — Map (db m8135) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), West Chester — G. Raymond Rettew
A West Chester chemist, he pioneered the mass production of penicillin, the world's first antibiotic. In 1943, with Wyeth Laboratories, his lab (a converted auto repair shop here) made & sent more penicillin to the Armed Forces than any other lab in . . . — Map (db m8153) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), West Chester — Garden of HonorArmy - Marines - Navy - Air Force - Coast Guard — West Chester, PA
“We, A group of Veterans, their family and friends, have erected this memorial to Honor our Country’s Veterans, living and deceased, from the Greater West Chester area.” — Map (db m49719) WM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), West Chester — General Lafayette
After visiting the Brandywine Battlefield on July 26, 1825, General Lafayette came to West Chester. From a point half a block west from here, he reviewed troops parading in his honor. — Map (db m50265) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), West Chester — Gen's Lafayette and PulaskiAt Birmingham, Sept. 11, 1777
Should days of brisk be forgot, Although these days have fled. Can we neglect the sacred spot, Where Patriot Heroes bled? An not those days of "old lang syne," We never can forget. When with our sires to Brandywine, Come gallant . . . — Map (db m73844) WM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), West Chester — Gilbert Cope1840 - 1928
Gilbert Cope, eminent genealogist and historian, was born in the house on this property. Author of a number of genealogies of Chester County families, he was dedicated to the preservation of Quaker records and of the archives of Chester County. He . . . — Map (db m42519) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), West Chester — Goshen Baptist ChurchMeeting House
Former Site of Goshen Baptist Church Meeting House Erected 1809 – Chartered 1827 Relocated 1970 — Map (db m50475) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), West Chester — Goshenville Blacksmith and Wheelwright ShopsBuilt circa 1740 with 1750 addition
The Goshenville Blacksmith Shop is in its original location and was the center of village life for nearly 200 years. It has a working forge and a display of an early l800's Conestoga farm Wagon along with a collection of historic tools. The . . . — Map (db m77078) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), West Chester — Great Minquas Path
An important Indian trail, key to Pennsylvania's fur trade in the 17th century, crossed the present highway near here. It linked trading posts on the lower Schuylkill and Indian towns to the west. The Dutch, Swedes, and English fought one another . . . — Map (db m40994) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), West Chester — Historic West Chester, Pennsylvania Building — Placed on the National Register of Historic Places
This Property has been placed on the NATIONAL REGISTER of HISTORIC PLACES by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m92812) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), West Chester — Horace Pippin
Born in West Chester in 1888. Pippin occupied this house from 1920 until his death in 1946. A self-taught black artist, he painted while living here such notable works as "Domino Players," "John Brown Going to His Hanging," and the "Holy Mountain" . . . — Map (db m8156) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), West Chester — Humphrey Marshall1722-1801 — Eminent Botanist, Author, Stone Mason, & Scientist
Marshalton was named in honor of Humphry Marshall, noted 18th century scientist and stone mason, whose botanical garden and home are adjacent to the Center House property. Humphrey’s name appears on many of the tavern license petitions, and he may . . . — Map (db m66901)
Pennsylvania (Chester County), West Chester — In Memory of Those Who Fell
In memory of those who fell in the Battle of Brandywine Sept 11, 1777. Back of this in a common grave lay those who fell in this vicinity. Marked by The Brandywine Valley Farmers Club 1920 — Map (db m73830) HM WM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), West Chester — Isaac Dutton Barnard(1791 - 1834)
Side One: Major Isaac Barnard Born March 22, 1791 Died February 18, 1834 Side Two: Senator of Pennsylvania, 1820: Sec’y of The Commonwealth, 1826: Senator of The U. States, 1827. Side Three: This Memorial in . . . — Map (db m49594) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), West Chester — Jefferis Ford
Jefferis Ford Cornwallis crossed here between 1 and 2 o’clock September 11, 1777 — Map (db m74475) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), West Chester — John Beale Bordley
The noted agriculturist purchased land just north of here in 1792 and named it "Como Farm". Here he conducted numerous experiments on crop rotation and maintenance of soil fertility. Bordley planned new devices for seeding and reaping wheat. His . . . — Map (db m51473) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), West Chester — Joseph T. Rothrock
Conservationist, father of the State Forest idea in Pennsylvania, lived in this house from 1876 until his death in 1922. He pioneered in the development of forest fire control, reforestation, and scientific forestry. — Map (db m8240) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), West Chester — Lenni-Lenape Indian Burial Ground
In the wooded knoll above sleeping their last sleep rest the Indian owners of these lands before the white man came. — Map (db m110303) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), West Chester — Lincoln Biography — Placed on the National Register of Historic Places - 1979
The first published biography of Abraham Lincoln was printed in this building on Feb. 11, 1860. It was prepared from Lincoln's own notes, and served to introduce him to the public as a potential presidential candidate. — Map (db m62395) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), West Chester — Marquis De LaFayette — stood at this spot during an 1826 visit to West Chester
From this spot July 26, 1826 Marquis De Lafayette Viewed the troops escorting him from a visit to the Brandywine Battle-Field — Map (db m76870) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), West Chester — Marshall Square Park
West Chester’s first public square, dedicated in 1848. Recognized in the late 19th century for having one of the best collections of trees and shrubs with 160 distinct species. Named in honor of Humphry Marshall (1722 – 1801), a world-renowned . . . — Map (db m89945) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), West Chester — Martins Tavern and The Battle of BrandywineSeptember 11, 1777
Major General John Sullivan sent a message to George Washington, stating that reports of a British attempt to cross the Brandywine north of the Continental Army were false. Sullivan met “Major Joseph Spear of the Militia who came (last . . . — Map (db m66894)
Pennsylvania (Chester County), West Chester — Martin's Tavern or Center Housec. 1764
For over 250 years, a building has stood on this site. First a house, probably built in 1750 for William and Abigail Clayton. In 1764, Joseph Martin built an addition and opened the Center House, or Martin's Tavern. For 200 years it functioned as a . . . — Map (db m66810)
Pennsylvania (Chester County), West Chester — Milltown/Hickman Plank Housecirca 1808
This “Hall and Parlor” style house has a kitchen (Hall) and a living room (Parlor) on the first floor and two bedrooms upstairs. There are two angled fireplaces in the center-of the front wall similar to “Penn Plan” houses. . . . — Map (db m77079) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), West Chester — Old GloryChester County, PA
[Left Plaque] Erected by The County of Chester In grateful commemoration of the heroism, sacrifices, and patriotism of her soldiers, sailors, and marines displayed during the late war of the rebellion for the preservation of the Union and . . . — Map (db m48892) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), West Chester — Old Main Arch Memorial
Old Main Building, constructed in 1871, served as the principal dormitory and classroom facility for the West Chester Teacher's Normal School. In 1971, faced with prohibitive costs of a facility upgrade, Old Main was torn down by the PA Dept of . . . — Map (db m8136) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), West Chester — On This Native Stone
On this native stone rested one corner of the first Meeting House at Birmingham built cedar logs with a flintstone in center of it upon which they burnt charcoal to heat the meeting, erected 1721. — Map (db m73829) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), West Chester — Osborne Hill
Est 1740 General Howe Command Post September 11, 1777 — Map (db m77129) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), West Chester — Osborne's Hill
Osborne's Hill From this ridge General Howe directed the movements of the British Army during the Battle of Brandywine, September 11, 1777. __________ Erected by The Pennsylvania Historical Commission and the Chester and . . . — Map (db m51472) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), West Chester — Samuel Barber(1910 - 1981)
Boyhood home of this composer of orchestral and vocal works, including the "Adagio for Strings" and Knoxville; Summer of 1915." Won Pulitzer Prizes in music, 1958 & 1963. Graduate, Curtis Institute. He wrote West Chester High's Alma Mater song. — Map (db m8157) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), West Chester — Sandy Hollow
The Battle of Brandywine involved 28,000 soldiers in combat and was the largest and longest battle of the American Revolution • After marching 17 miles in 9 hours from Kennett Square, Gen. Howe’s army took a break for tea, to rest and refresh in . . . — Map (db m73808) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), West Chester — SconnelltownCornwallis stopped here in 1777
Cornwallis’ division of the British Army halted here September 11, 1777, on its march to the Battlefield of Brandywine — Map (db m50107) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), West Chester — 15 — Simon Barnard Row
Simon Barnard Row 104-116 East Washington Street 227 North Walnut Street These Row Houses were constructed about 1856 by Simon Barnard, local businessman, builder, realtor and Political Activist who was an advocate of the Anti-Slavery . . . — Map (db m90315) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), West Chester — Site of First School House in West Chester
(Turk's Head), built of logs, 1760. Used as a hospital for American wounded after the Battle of Brandywine, Sept, 1777. Some soldiers died and were buried here in the schoolyard. — Map (db m8154) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), West Chester — Site of the First Schoolhousein West Chester, Pennsylvania - c.1760 — A town at that time known as Turk's Head
Site of First Schoolhouse in West Chester (Turk's Head), built of logs, 1760. Used as a hospital for American wounded after the Battle of Brandywine, Sept, 1777. Some soldiers died and were buried here in the schoolyard. — Map (db m92184) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), West Chester — Site of the Star TavernCirca 1784 — Drover's Tavern & Lumberyard
Site of the Star Tavern Circa 1784 1784-1839 Traveller’s Rest Drover’s Tavern & Lumberyard Imla Bennett Owner 1839-1844 William Mercer Operated Tavern, Possible Underground Railroad Stop 1844 Tavern Closes . . . — Map (db m71164) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), West Chester — Squire Thomas Cheyney1731 – 1811
Farmer, Patriot, Public Servant. Cheyney was born and lived at this homestead his entire life. During the Battle of the Brandywine, he warned Gen. Washington of a British flanking movement. As a delegate to Pennsylvania’s 1787 convention, he voted . . . — Map (db m42680) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), West Chester — Star of the West, Tent No. Six
An African American women's community service organization chartered 1865. A part of the United Order of Tents, J.R. Giddings and Jollifee Union, founded in 1847 and named for abolitionist Congressman Giddings and his law partner. — Map (db m8241) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), West Chester — Stroud Preserve
Welcome-This nature preserve is one of more than 40 owned and managed by Natural Lands Trust, a non-profit conservation organization eastern Pennsylvania and New Jersey.

Since 1953, we’ve been building an extensive network of preserves that . . . — Map (db m84971) HM

Pennsylvania (Chester County), West Chester — Tavern FareWhat sort of food was served at the Center House?
Tavern Fare... What sort of food was served at the Center House? To date, no specific food has been linked to this particular tavern, but Joseph Martin would probably have provided 18th century Anglo-Welsh American “country . . . — Map (db m66895)
Pennsylvania (Chester County), West Chester — The Dime Savings Bankof Chester County, Pennsylvania — 1890 – 1965
Chartered by The State of Pennsylvania on April 22, 1890 this is the only Mutual savings bank in the County and is one of seven in the state. It is owned and operated for the benefit of the depositors. Previous locations of the bank were nearby on . . . — Map (db m49388) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), West Chester — The First National Bank of West ChesterPennsylvania
The First National Bank of West Chester Chartered 1863 Has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places — Map (db m49436) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), West Chester — The Friends School at Birmingham Meeting House
Was established at this place about 1753. It was for many years under the care of John Forsythe, the First Head Master of Westtown Boarding School opened in 1799. Dr. William Darlington was a pupil at Birmingham. — Map (db m8245) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), West Chester — The Great Trail
The Great Trail of the Minquas or Susquehanna Indians from the Susquehanna to the Schuylkill crossed the present road about this point. It was the path prior to 1670 for their conquest of the Lenni-Lenape or Delaware Indians and for trade with the . . . — Map (db m8249) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), West Chester — The Peace Garden at Birmingham
During the Battle of the Brandywine on September 11, 1777, the American Army used the walls of this Quaker Burial Ground in their first line of defense. Both armies used this meetinghouse of Quaker pacifists as a hospital. Behind the wall is the . . . — Map (db m8244) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), West Chester — Thomas S. Butler House — National Register of Historic Places - 1980
Thomas S. Butler House This Property Has Been Placed on the National Register of Historic Places — Map (db m54992) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), West Chester — Turk’s Head Tavern1769 – 1964
This Bank occupies the site on which John Hoopes erected the Turk’s Head Tavern in 1769. Much of West Chester’s early history is associated with The Turk’s Head. For nearly 200 years, as tavern and hotel, it was an important center for military, . . . — Map (db m49389) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), West Chester — We Hold in Honor and Sacred MemoryOaklands Plane Crash Memorial
2nd Lieutenant Herman H. Haas, Jr. 2nd Lieutenant William C. Bethel Sergeant John T. Donahue Sergeant George B. Allen Staff Sergeant Joseph Tucek Sergeant Sylvio W. Pollender Sergeant Edward P. Geoghegan, Jr. Crewmembers of a . . . — Map (db m41360) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), West Chester — West Chester- 1788 -
West Chester Originally “Turk’s – Head” Renamed for Chester Founded 1788 — Map (db m49616) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), West Chester — West Chester AcademyCirca 1812 — Precursor to West Chester University
Erected in 1812 for many years a flourishing classical and mathematical school stood on a site in the rear of this house the first president of the Board of Trustees was John Forsythe the first secretary was Dr. William Darlington. In 1869 this . . . — Map (db m95982) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), West Chester — William Darlington
Physician, congressman, began a service of 33 years as president of Bank of Chester County, in this building, 1830. Especially noted for his many contributions to the science and study of botany in the early 1800's. He died in 1863. — Map (db m8148) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), West Chester — William Darlington Birthplace~ 1782 ~
The Birthplace of the Eminent Botanist William Darlington M.D. 1782 – 1863 Marked by the Chester County Historical Society 1913 — Map (db m66709) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), West Chester — William Darlington M.D.
Eminent Botanist Member of Congress Born in Birmingham Chester County 1792 Died West Chester 1863 Began a service of thirty three years as President of The Bank of Chester County in this building – 1830 — Map (db m62205) HM

202 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 2
Paid Advertisement