Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Clinton County Pennsylvania Historical Markers

 
Pine Creek Presbyterian Church Marker image, Touch for more information
By Mike Wintermantel, May 27, 2013
Pine Creek Presbyterian Church Marker
Pennsylvania (Clinton County), Avis — Pine Creek Presbyterian Church
On this site stood the original building of Pine Creek Presbyterian Church organized 1792 Became Presbyterian Church of Jersey Shore 1851 — Map (db m65553) HM
Pennsylvania (Clinton County), Avis — Tiadaghton Elm
Under this huge Elm, July 4, 1776, resolves declaring independence were drawn, prior to news of action by Congress at Philadelphia. This was an expression of the spirit common to the frontier and led by the famous Fair Play men. — Map (db m65556) HM
Pennsylvania (Clinton County), Dunnstown — The Great Island
Many Indian nations have occupied the Great Island in the river just south of here. Trails led from the Genesee, Ohio, Potomac, and Susquehanna North Branch. Delawares and Shawnees stopped here for a time on their migration west. — Map (db m65555) HM
Pennsylvania (Clinton County), Leidy — Leidy Natural Gas Boom
Against expert advice, Dorcie Calhoun drilled Leidy Township's first successful deep gas well about a quartermile south of here. On January 8, 1950, the well hit natural gas at a depth of 5,659 feet, and for a time it brought up an estimated 15 . . . — Map (db m65551) HM
Pennsylvania (Clinton County), Lock Haven — American Hero SOC David M. Collins March 3, 1969-March 12, 2014
David M. Collins was born and raised in Lock Haven, Pennsylvania, and graduated from Lock Haven High School in 1987. In April 1988, he enlisted in the U.S. Navy and served on the USS Independence (CV62) during the Gulf War. In 1991, he successfully . . . — Map (db m91069) WM
Pennsylvania (Clinton County), Lock Haven — Clinton County
Formed on June 21, 1839 out of Lycoming and Centre counties. Named probably for New York's Gov. DeWitt Clinton. Site of "Tiadaghton Declaration of Independence," 1776. In 19th century a lumbering center. Lock Haven, the county seat, became a city in . . . — Map (db m65547) HM
Pennsylvania (Clinton County), Lock Haven — Clinton County Veterans Memorial For God, For Country, Forever Honored, Forever Mourned
(Bronze Plaque) American Revolution 1775-1784 Buried in Clinton County-Dedicated 1976 William Baird, James Caldwell, John C. Culvey, Thomas Curts, J. P. De-Hass, William Dunn, Brewster Freeman, Peter Grove, James Hays, John W. Kister, Robert . . . — Map (db m91070) WM
Pennsylvania (Clinton County), Lock Haven — Fort Reed
William Reed's stockaded house was the westernmost defense for Susquehanna Valley settlers. The site of the pioneer outpost is a few blocks ahead at the monument near the bridge. — Map (db m65549) HM
Pennsylvania (Clinton County), Lock Haven — Fort Reed Stockade
Located in the Stockade of Fort Reed. Built in 1775 for defence against the Indians. — Map (db m91036) HM
Pennsylvania (Clinton County), Lock Haven — Harmon Field
This playfield was made ours through the assistance of the Harmon Foundation 1927. Dedicated forever to the plays of children, the development of youth and the recreation of all. "The gift of land is the gift eternal" — Map (db m91071) HM
Pennsylvania (Clinton County), Lock Haven — Lock Haven
Named by the founder Jerry Church for this old canal lock built by the state of Pennsylvania 1834 the haven for rafts created by the dam. — Map (db m65552) HM
Pennsylvania (Clinton County), Lock Haven — Lock Haven Flood Protection Project
Dedicated to the people of Lock Haven to secure protection from the ravaging floods of Susquehanna River and to promote economic stability for future growth. Dedicated October 14, 1994 Local Cooperation Agreement March 14, 1991 . . . — Map (db m79973) HM
Pennsylvania (Clinton County), Lock Haven — The Susquehanna Greenway
What is the Susquehanna Greenway? The Susquehanna Greenway is a corridor of farms, forests, parks, trails and river towns that connects people to the natural and cultural treasures of the Susquehanna River. Nearly 500 miles in length, it is . . . — Map (db m91037) HM
Pennsylvania (Clinton County), Mill Hall — Great Shamokin Path
By the Indian path along Bald Eagle Creek, in 1772, Bishop Ettwein, Moravian, brought some 200 Christian Mohicans and Delawares from Friedenshuetten, near Wyalusing, to Friedensstadt on the Beaver. — Map (db m65550) HM
Pennsylvania (Clinton County), Renove — Simeon & Susannah Pfoutz 1781-1856 1794-1848
In memory of Simeon Pfoutz and wife Susannah, first white settlers on Kettle Creek. He selected this site in 1813, cleared the land, built a log house, went to Perry Co. for his wife, two year old son Simon, and returned in 1814 to spend the rest of . . . — Map (db m65554) HM
Pennsylvania (Clinton County), Salona — Daniel H. Hastings
Governor of Pennsylvania, 1895-1899; born, 1849, on a farm 4.5 miles southeast of here. During his term, the State Department of Agriculture was created and the present State Capitol planned. Lived most of his life in Bellefonte. Died there in 1903. — Map (db m65548) HM

16 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement