Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Columbia County Pennsylvania Historical Markers

 
Fishing Creek Confederacy Marker image, Touch for more information
By Don Morfe, October 12, 2015
Fishing Creek Confederacy Marker
Pennsylvania (Columbia County), Benton — Fishing Creek Confederacy
Alarmed about draft resistance, the federal government deployed 800 troops to the Fishing Creek Valley in August 1864 to suppress the opposition. Peace Democrats suspected of Confederate sympathies were questioned at the Christian church near this . . . — Map (db m89911) HM
Pennsylvania (Columbia County), Berwick — Nescopeck
Name of Shawnee-Delaware Indian village located here. From Braddock's defeat in 1755 until Fort Augusta was built in 1756 it was a rallying point for Indians hostile to the English — Map (db m89701) HM
Pennsylvania (Columbia County), Bloomsburg — Bloomsburg Historic District
This property contributes to the Bloomsburg Historic District

Placed on the National Register of Historic Places — Map (db m89851) HM

Pennsylvania (Columbia County), Bloomsburg — Columbia County
Formed March 22, 1813 out of Northumberland County. Named in honor of America. County seat, Bloomsburg, became this State's only incorporated town in 1870. A Friends meetinghouse was built at Catawissa about 1789. "Twin covered bridges" at Forks are . . . — Map (db m89850) HM
Pennsylvania (Columbia County), Bloomsburg — Columbia County Courthouse
The first Columbia County Courthouse was built on this site in 1848. It was designed by Napoleon LeBrun, the same architect who designed the Academy of Music in Philadelphia. The original courthouse is not the core of the building you see here. If . . . — Map (db m89892) HM
Pennsylvania (Columbia County), Bloomsburg — Fort McClure
Early in 1781 the McClure house was stockaded by the noted Indian fighter, Moses Van Campen, to protect settlers in this region after destruction of Fort Jenkins in 1780. Site on the north bank of the Susquehanna in present Bloomsburg. — Map (db m46287) HM
Pennsylvania (Columbia County), Bloomsburg — Fort Wheeler
A stockade-type fort was built here in 1778 along Fishing Creek by Moses Van Campen. It served during the Revolution as a refuge against the Indians, by whom it was once attacked. Van Campen was the noted Indian scout of this region — Map (db m89909) WM
Pennsylvania (Columbia County), Bloomsburg — Wyoming Path
Important path linking the many Indian settlements in the Wyoming Valley with Shamokin, now Sunbury. In 1742 Count Zinzendorf, organizer of Moravian missions, came this way after visiting the Shawnees at Wyoming. — Map (db m46286) HM
Pennsylvania (Columbia County), Catawissa — Catawissa Friends Meeting
The nearby friends meeting-house, built about 1775, was the place of worship for early Quaker settlers among the pioneers of this region. Catawissa itself was laid out by William Hughes, a Berks County Quaker. — Map (db m46230) HM
Pennsylvania (Columbia County), Lime Ridge — Fort Jenkins
A stockaded house used as a settler's refuge was situated here on the bank overlooking the river, 1778-80, when it was destroyed by the Indians. The land was later owned by James Wilson, an author of the Constitution. — Map (db m89910) WM

10 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement