Founded in 1912 by the Polish National Alliance and dedicated by U.S. President William Howard Taft, Alliance College was one of the nation's first nationality colleges. Its mission was to provide educational opportunities for everyone, but . . . — — Map (db m72989) HM
Between 1884 and 1915, this was a major health resort, founded upon the various mineral springs here. Dr. John H. Gray, who had discovered spring water on his farm, began prescribing and marketing it in 1884. By the early 1900s, some forty inns and . . . — — Map (db m41025) HM
Former location of a 200 foot, single-span Baltimore truss bridge constructed by the Youngstown Steel Company in 1896. This truss design was patented in the 19th century by the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad and adapted for highway use for crossings . . . — — Map (db m132167) HM
In 1895, William D. Rider, a prominent businessman, broke ground for the half - million dollar hotel and resort known as Hotel Rider. It opened on May 1, 1897 and was said to have been one of the finest hotels between New York City and Chicago and . . . — — Map (db m132166) HM
Ace Roller Coaster Landmark American Coaster Enthusiasts (ACE) recognizes Conneaut Lake Park's Blue Streak as an ACE Roller Coaster Landmark, a designation reserved for rides of historical significance. Constructed as part of a major . . . — — Map (db m107699) HM
Raised some 10 feet by a 23-mile "feeder" from Meadville, this lake was the vital source of water for the highest part of the canal, 4 miles west. Lake water and traffic flowed north to Erie, south to the Ohio River. — — Map (db m74625) HM
Remains of the canal bed may be seen beside the railroad, below the bridge. Less than 2 miles away, this Shenango Line, from New Castle, united with the Conneaut Line, from Erie. The entire canal was in use 1844-1871. — — Map (db m39918) HM
Conneaut Lake is a kettle lake formed by the receding glacier during the last Ice Age, about 12,000 years ago. As the glacier melted, a large block of ice partially embedded in accumulated sediment formed the depression, which became the lake. . . . — — Map (db m74623) HM
Just east of Ice House Park stood two large wooden structures to store ice harvested from the lake during the winter. Inclined wooden ramps led from the frozen lake to storage within the buildings whose walls were 12 inches thick and filled with . . . — — Map (db m74616) HM
Railroad service came to Evansburg, (Conneaut Lake), in 1859 with the establishment of a station south of town at Stoney Point, a stop on the Atlantic and Great Western Railroad. Passengers and freight were transferred to horse buggies and wagons . . . — — Map (db m74622) HM
Welcome children of all ages. This Carousel has been making memories at Conneaut Lake Park - formerly Exposition Park - since approximately 1914. Assembled by T.M. Harton of Pittsburgh, who also owned and operated carousels at West View and . . . — — Map (db m107703) HM
Dedicated Sept., 10, 1866. to the memory of the brave of Evansburgh & Sadsbury who fell for their country during the War of the Great Rebellion. Killed in Battle I. Graff, Apr. 6, 1865, ae. 34 yrs.; G.W.Boutell; May 5, 1864, ae. 22 yrs.; . . . — — Map (db m107722) HM
Part of the old channel lies near the highway. The Conneaut Line, from Erie to near Conneaut Lake, was begun by the State, 1838, and completed by the Erie Canal Company, 1843-44. Canal in use until 1871. — — Map (db m60439) HM
Drilled here in 1815 by Samuel Magaw and William Clark to reach brine, a frontier source of salt. When it was deepened by Daniel Shryock to 300 feet in 1819, oil was struck. Because of this unwanted byproduct, the well and salt works here were . . . — — Map (db m60441) HM
Cut off from the rest of Pymatuning Swamp by a 3-mile bank, this became the 600-acre "Pymatuning Reservoir" of the canal, which lay at its western edge. Begun by the State, 1838; finished by the Erie Canal Company, 1843-44. — — Map (db m60437) HM
Oldest college in continuous existence under the same name west of the Allegheny Mountains. Founded 1815. Chartered 1817. The college's first president, Timothy Alden, was architect of Bentley Hall, which became the center of administration. — — Map (db m41020) HM
Two blocks from here is the home built 1841 by Justice Henry Baldwin. Appointed to United States Supreme Court in 1830. As a member of Congress in 1816 to 1822, he was an early protective tariff advocate. — — Map (db m41021) HM
This red oak and time capsule placed in honor of the two hundredth year of the settlement of the Meadville Community — Dedicated July 4, 1988
★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Other Centennial Trees
1 . . . — — Map (db m132141) HM
Here in Crawford County on Sept. 9, 1842, direct primary elections were born when county Democrats used this system to nominate candidates for the legislature and county offices. Republicans here began voting by this method in 1860. This "Crawford . . . — — Map (db m41024) HM
Built to replace the old fire headquarters in City Hall, Central Station housed the three engines of the newly automotive truck fleet. Upstairs sleeping quarters made a full time force possible and the fire bell was supplemented by an extensive . . . — — Map (db m132127) HM
Founded in 1807 as the Society for the Encouragement of Domestic Manufacture and the Useful Arts, the nation's third oldest Chamber of Commerce met here in the old log courthouse, led by Crawford Messenger editor Thomas Atkinson and Holland Land . . . — — Map (db m60448) HM
From 1830 to 1870 two waterways quartered the city: Mill Run, NE to SW, and the Feeder Canal, NW to SE. Here, for three blocks, they shared their courses before diverging; the Run to French Creek, the Canal Conneaut Lake, commercial contacts & . . . — — Map (db m132125) HM
In commemoration of
Col. William Crawford
born in Virginia in 1732,
burned at the stake
by the Delaware Indians
near Sandusky, Ohio, June 11, 1782
friend and companion of Washington,
brave and . . . — — Map (db m132138) HM
This tablet is erected
in memory of the men who composed
Company "A" 211th Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteers,
who enlisted in Crawford County
and went forth in defense of their country
in the Civil War of 1861-1865.
Elias . . . — — Map (db m132161) WM
Formed March 12, 1800 from Allegheny County. Meadville, in 1788, was the first permanent settlement in northwest Pennsylvania. In 1842 the nation's first direct primary was held here. Cradle of the oil and zipper industries. Named for Colonel . . . — — Map (db m41026) HM
Dedicated to all veterans...
In honor of those who gave the Ultimate Sacrifice
Global War on
[Names not listed]
World War I
[Names not listed]
World War II
[Names not listed]
[Names . . . — — Map (db m132131) WM
An event here in September 1880 led to the end of segregation by race in the state's public schools. At the South Ward schools, Elias Allen tried unsuccessfully to enroll his two children. He appealed to the Crawford County Court of Common Pleas, . . . — — Map (db m41027) HM
Reflecting the diversity of early religious life, the first church here was the Central or Second Presbyterian acquired in 1904 by the Christian Church. In 1963 a new sanctuary was built on North Main Extension and the Landmark brick Church razed. — — Map (db m55072) HM
Founding site of Allegheny College June 20, 1815 and of a Society for the encouragement of manufacturers and arts Feb. 12, 1807 now the third oldest chamber of commerce in the nation. — — Map (db m132144) HM
The Riviere aux Boeufs of the French, renamed by George Washington in 1753. It had an important part in the French and Indian War and the settlement of northwestern Pennsylvania. — — Map (db m60445) HM
The canal visible beyond the field was built 1827-1834. Repaired in 1841, it carried water from French Creek to Conneaut Lake, reservoir for the Erie Extension canal, which operated between Erie and New Castle , 1844-71. — — Map (db m55065) HM
The canal bed beside the road is part of a channel constructed 1827-1834 to take water from Meadville to Conneaut Lake for the Erie Extension Canal. Two miles below here the Feeder crossed the creek by aqueduct. — — Map (db m60444) HM
Developed by Meaville Housing Corporation in 1936, it was the first project of its kind to be guaranteed by the FHA.
Ninety seven industries, business concerns and individuals subscribed to the initial stock offering and the mortgage was . . . — — Map (db m83698) HM
Meadville's Downtown National Register District extends North from Clinton Court to North Street and West from Chancery Lane to Mulberry Street. It includes the institutional, commercial, industrial and residential hub of David Mead's original 1788 . . . — — Map (db m55068) HM
Built as a two-story Federal-style home by David Derickson, judge of the 6th District. An 1821 graduate of Allegheny College admitted to the Bar in 1823, he trained many early attorneys. The house, bought in 1848 by Hiram L. Richmond Esq., was . . . — — Map (db m132143) HM
Built as a production facility for the Meadville Woolen Company, this building later served as market & meeting hall. From 1879 to 1925 it was the home of the Meadville Library, Art, and Historical Association then was converted to commercial use. — — Map (db m55071) HM
Founded in 1788 by David Mead and other settlers from the Wyoming region. In 1800 made county seat. First direct primary in United States held here in 1842. Making of hookless fasteners was pioneered here. — — Map (db m41028) HM
Built in 1870, enlarged in 1916, rescued in 1970 by a community drive, the Meadville Market House is the oldest continuous use market structure in Pennsylvania. Here, in the ancient tradition, farmers and local craftsmen still present their goods . . . — — Map (db m85233) HM
In 1810, on hand looms and spinning wheels, Meadville produced 16,818 yards of woolen material. By 1870 a steam-powered mill, built here where Mill Run and the Feeder Canal joined briefly, made fine woolens from the fleece of county sheep for . . . — — Map (db m85237) HM
The first "fireproof" building in Meadville, designed in the Chicago style, it was constructed without flammable material except for its window frames and doors. It was initially a medical professionals building with doctors and dentists on the . . . — — Map (db m132126) HM
Essential to the growth of an early frontier town, this vigorous stream provided power to early mill wheels and water for fire fighting, and fed the French Creek Feeder Canal. By 1910 it was built over and largely lost to view. — — Map (db m132118) HM
Pennsylvania State Senator, 1959-63, Lieutenant Governor, 1963-67, and Governor, 1967-71. The 1874 state charter was substantially reformed at a constitutional convention during his term. He promoted improvements in welfare, transportation, . . . — — Map (db m41029) HM
Born a slave in Maryland in 1801, he escaped as a boy and about 1824 came to Meadville. A barber, he was long active in the Underground Railroad. His Arch Street house, since torn down, is estimated to have harbored some 500 runaway slaves prior to . . . — — Map (db m41030) HM
Canadian born Thomas Roddy was admitted to the Crawford County Bar in 1870. He served on City Council, library boards and Market House oversight committee. In 1881 he won Elias Allen's suit which desegregated Pennsylvania schools-all despite being . . . — — Map (db m55069) HM
Founded 1904 Spirella, the world's largest corset maker, employed 1 of 27 local workers. A paternalistic management sponsored classes, an infirmary, library, cafeteria & ball team. This building with its north light windows was the primary sewing . . . — — Map (db m132136) HM
This Georgian Revival post office and federal office complex, built to meet the needs of a rapidly growing community, provided office space for our Congressman, federal agencies, and later selective service and social security offices. Despite a . . . — — Map (db m132134) HM
The landmark Kepler Hotel, built in 1890, enlarged in 1923, served the community for 60 years. The Kepler family had operated hotels since 1812 at Woodcock, Venango, & Titusville before coming to Market Square in 1875. Revitalized 2003 by Meadville . . . — — Map (db m85235) HM
In 1917 City Council acted to more than double the size of the Market House by lengthening the structure and adding a full second floor to house social service offices, meeting and rest rooms. In 1985 the former haymarket at the west side of Market . . . — — Map (db m132123) HM
Meadville's second "skyscraper", designed in the Beaux Arts style, was built as a home for the numerous Masonic orders and reflected the growth and prosperity of the early 20th century city. Converted to private ownership in 1995 , its commercial . . . — — Map (db m132133) HM
The cities of Fismes, France and Meadville, U.S.A. have shared a long history of friendship dating back to World Wars I and II.
In tribute to this special friendship this walkway in Diamond Park shall forever more be known as the Promenade de . . . — — Map (db m132140) HM
Built in 1870 as a 30' x 100' store front, this three-story building first housed a meat market, with offices and club social rooms upstairs. In 1901 the John J. Shryock store moved here and remained, the city's major home furniture store, until . . . — — Map (db m132119) HM
Dr. David Snodgrass built this office and residence and practiced here for 20 years. His widow rented the medical offices but retained her home here, creating apartments on the upper floor. An early answering and business service, begun for medical . . . — — Map (db m132117) HM
On this site were located the offices of the Spirella Company which produced made-to-measure corsets. The company provided jobs for 25 percent of Meadville's residents after the 1904 invention of a flexible steel stay by MM Beeman. Employee benefits . . . — — Map (db m55067) HM
A fine example of Greek Revival architecture. It was erected in 1835-36 at a cost of $3500, mostly given by Shippen and Huidekoper families. Planned by the builder of Fort Sumter, General George W. Cullum. — — Map (db m41031) HM
Within this block, John James Audubon sketched portraits in Colson's Store, Aug. 31 and Sept. 1, 1824, and General the Marquis de Lafayette was entertained at Gibson's Tavern, June 2, 1825. — — Map (db m132121) HM
On the side road, a short distance south, are the remains of the tannery and home built by the noted abolitionist of Harper's Ferry fame. Here, he lived and worked from 1825 to 1835, employing as many as 15 men in producing leather. — — Map (db m50446) HM
Built in 1802 by Patrick McGill, this log house one of the oldest surviving homes in the French Creek Valley. McGill was a farmer, organized the first school, and served in the War of 1812. Saegertown was originally known as McGill's Settlement. — — Map (db m60447) HM
Here on August 5, 1936, the State's first rural electric pole was placed by the Northwestern Rural Electric Cooperative Association. Incorporated on April 30, 1936, this was Pennsylvania's first such cooperative. By 1941, thirteen more had been . . . — — Map (db m60446) HM
William H. Daugherty lived in Titusville before founding the Daugherty Refinery in Petrolia, PA.
Amalie was created in 1903 when L. Sonneborn & Sons
bought Daugherty Refinery. It was the first refiner of mineral oils in the United States.
In . . . — — Map (db m134080) HM
ATLANTIC REFINING COMPANY
1859: Charles Lockhart and William Frew came to this region to drill for oil on the south bank of the Allegheny across from the mouth of Oil Creek in Venango County. Subsequently they bought out the Tarr Farm and . . . — — Map (db m134083) HM
Brown Street Bridge ♦ A Steel and Wrought Iron Baltimore Through Truss Design, 175-foot span locally known as the Brown Street Bridge, was constructed on this site crossing Oil Creek between 1898-1899. Prior to replacement in 1991 . . . — — Map (db m107775) HM
A founder and first president of Tidewater Pipe Co., est. 1878. He transformed the shipment of oil with a larger 6-inch pipe that covered greater distances than ever before. This pipeline was first to carry Pa. crude directly to coastal refineries. . . . — — Map (db m64972) HM
Edwin I. Drake, a former railroad conductor , traveled to Titusville in 1857 to find and produce oil in commercial quantities
Partnering with salt well driller and blacksmith "Uncle Billy" Smith, they persevered to strike oil in August 27, 1859 . . . — — Map (db m133796) HM
The first refinery in the Oil Creek Region for crude petroleum was built nearby in 1860. The first run of oil was made in 1861. Oil was first refined at Pittsburgh, about 1854, by Samuel Kier. — — Map (db m64971) HM
The man who sank the first oil well is buried in Woodlawn Cemetery, and is commemorated by Niehaus's bronze figure of "The Driller." Drake Well is now a State park, a mile and a half south of Titusville. — — Map (db m50476) HM
Exxon origins can be traced to Titusville's Carter Oil, founded in 1893 by John J. Carter. Irish immigrant and Civil War veteran John J. Carter was awarded athe Medal of Honor for his bravery at the Battle of Antietam. After the war, he moved to . . . — — Map (db m133824) HM
Gulf Oil was one of the many companies formed at
Spindletop in January 1901. In late 1901, James M. Guffey bought out the interests of his partners in the Lucas Well (Galey and Lucas) and formed the J.M. Guffey Petroleum Company. Guffey received . . . — — Map (db m133640) HM
Ida Tarbell was one of the most famous investigative journalists in American history. She was raised in Titusville during the oil boom. Her father, Franklin Tarbell, was an oil producer and investor.
In 1872, she witnessed the destruction of her . . . — — Map (db m133624) HM
Photographer of oil industry from 1860, lived in this house. His thousands of views form an extraordinary record of an industry that began here. Born, Bury, England, in 1829; died Titusville, 1915. — — Map (db m50498) HM
Shortly after John Heisman's birth in 1869, the Heisman family moved to Titusville where his father, Michael Heisman, was an oil investor and cooper.
John Heisman was educated at Titusville schools and
played varsity guard on the football team, . . . — — Map (db m133875) HM
Renowned college football coach and name-sake for the sports highest amateur honor, the Heisman Memorial Trophy. His innovations included legalizing the forward pass, the center snap, the scoreboard, and game quarters. Heisman promoted player . . . — — Map (db m50493) HM
Along this stream the first white explorers found Indians skimming surface oil. From 1859 to 1865, the center of oil production and its refining was along the banks of Oil Creek. — — Map (db m50494) HM
The Oil Creek Refining Company was founded by Dennis
McGraw and incorporated in 1919-20.
It was a "home-owned” oil refinery and operated in East Titusville. The company was the first to market motor oil in refinery-sealed, disposable cans . . . — — Map (db m134081) HM
The Penn Drake brand was originated by the American Oil Works of Titusville.
Michael Heisman (John Heisman's father), Frank VonTacky, William Teege, and Louis Walz created the American Oil Works in Titusville in 1885.
Pennsylvania Refining . . . — — Map (db m133880) HM
The Pennzoil brand comes from a long history of foundings and mergers that date back to 1886 when local men Henry Suhr, Samuel Justus, and Louis Walz founded the Penn Refining Company
In 1914, Penn Refining merged with Germania Refining Company, . . . — — Map (db m133876) HM
In 1914, Thomas and Hopewell Phinny of Oil City created Phinny's Quaker State Medium Oil. The Phinnys were granted a trademark for Quaker State in August 1921.
Quaker State was financed and marketed by J.B. Berry Brothers of Oil City. The . . . — — Map (db m133879) HM
First successful device for increasing the flow of oil by setting off an explosion deep in a well. It was publicly demonstrated in 1865. The nitroglycerin was made .4 mile south of here, along Hammond Run. — — Map (db m50495) HM
Anthony F. Lucas began drilling a salt dome well with the Gladys City Company near Beaumont, Texas in 1899.
When Lucas and his company ran out of money, John H. Galey and James M. Guffey, financed Lucas and formed a partnership named J.M. Guffey . . . — — Map (db m133830) HM
Many Roman Catholics came into the area during the oil boom which began in 1859. The Reverend Father DeLarouque, who had been presiding over mass in a cooper shop, decided a church was needed. Ground was broken on this property in 1862 and the . . . — — Map (db m107779) HM
John D. Rockefeller organized the Standard Oil Company in 1870. He owned wells in Titusville and Cleveland and began buying refineries in Pennsylvania and Ohio. By 1882, Standard Oil controlled 90% of the entire nation's refining capacity. The . . . — — Map (db m133636) HM
Sterling Oil was created in the 1890s by P.J. Bayer as a marketing vehicle for Emlenton Refinery's "Sterling" cylinder engine and Dynamo oil for Erie and Western New York. It was acquired by Eastern Refining Company during World War I. For the . . . — — Map (db m133716) HM
Titusville residents Joseph Pew and E.O. Emerson organized the Sun Oil Company in March 1890.
Based in Pennsylvania, Sun Oil was operated by the Pew
family who became giants in refining and shipbuilding.
The company went public in 1922 and was . . . — — Map (db m133600) HM
Texaco was formed at Spindletop in 1901 by Joseph Cullinan and Arnold Schlaet as the Texas Fuel Company.
Cullinan served as president and general manager of Texaco.
Joseph Cullinan was born in Sharon, Pennsylvania and lived part of his early . . . — — Map (db m133839) HM
In 1865, Titusville residents Byron Benson, Robert Hopkins and David McKelvy started a sawmill in Enterprise (located just outside Titusville) to finance their drilling operation; which they named the Enterprise Oil and Lumber Company.
In . . . — — Map (db m134082) HM
The first machine shop and foundry built to serve the oil industry was located "a year and a mile from Drake Well." In 1889, new owners organized it as the Titusville Iron Company, Limited, under executive officers John Fertig and James Curtis . . . — — Map (db m107782) HM
The industry's first permanent oil exchange was organized in 1871 by producers, refiners, dealers, brokers. Starting in the American Hotel on this spot, it moved to other sites; returned here in a new three-story brick building, 1881. Dissolved . . . — — Map (db m50496) HM
"There are few bank buildings in America which equal this in permanence and quality of construction..." remarked architect Arthur Zimm. The Titusville Herald reported that "...few were prepared for the beauties revealed when its doors were . . . — — Map (db m79974) HM
In ancient seabottom rocks exposed in this stream, the Holotype Specimen of a rare fossil sponge was found by Paleontologist Kenneth E. Caster. In 1939 in recognition of the support which brought the sciences of geology and paleontology to such . . . — — Map (db m64970) HM
Created in part by Cherrytree-born brothers Milton and Lyman Stewart, Union Oil Company of California was formed in 1890.
After an early start not far from here in
the Shamburg oil field, and serving in the Civil War, Lyman moved to Calfornia . . . — — Map (db m133872) HM
In 1867 Dr. John Ellis developed cylinder oils in Pennsylvania and in 1873 was awarded a trademark for Valvoline.
He marketed it as superior in quality to lard and fat in lubrication and was used by many railroads. Valvoline became the standard . . . — — Map (db m133883) HM
In 1860, Thomas Struthers and his partners formed the Oil Creek Railroad to haul freight, coal, and oil between Corry and Petroleum Centre. The original station was destroyed in Titusville's great flood and fire of 1892, but rebuilt later that year. . . . — — Map (db m107785) HM
In 1879, A.L. Confer constructed a refining still 18 miles from here in Reno, PA called the Empire Oil Works.
He recognized a need for a better illuminating oil and used
carefully controlled temperatures to create a high-quality kerosene. In . . . — — Map (db m133887) HM
At this location, the Venango Veterans Memorial Bridge once carried Cussewago Street over French Creek. It was an historically significant example of its type, and played an important role in the local history of Venango Borough and Cambridge . . . — — Map (db m132164) HM