Established in 1810 by Act of Legislature. Was aided by State grant of $2000 and public subscriptions. Until 1860, a leading academy west of the mountains. Old building, no longer used for a school, is northeast of here, on Market Street. — — Map (db m56952) HM
Site of frontier refuge in Revolutionary War. Station of a small detachment of Virginia militia in 1977, when this area was claimed as part of Monongalia County, Virginia. Near here, on May 12, 1782, the wife and three children of the noted Baptist . . . — — Map (db m56949) HM
A noted Baptist minister serving area congregations, Corbley was among some 150 men arrested by federal troops on the “Dreadful Night" of November 13, 1794. A vocal opponent of the excise tax on whiskey, he was the areas best known . . . — — Map (db m47891) HM
Site of frontier refuge in Revolutionary War; station in 1777 of small detachment of Virginia militia. Near here, on Sunday, May 12, 1782, Indians killed the wife and three children of Rev. John Corbley, a Baptist minister. — — Map (db m102048) HM
Approximately 100 yards Northeast is former site of Fort Enoch built by Henry Enoch Senior son of Enoch Enix circa 1767 for protection against Indians.
Pioneer David Gray for whom this village is named, tomahawked a homestead of 2174 A. here in . . . — — Map (db m56950) HM
Unity Presbyterian Church, "Mother Presbyterian Church of Greene County, Pennsylvania" was organized August 27, 1814 at home of David Gray under direction of Reverend John Anderson and Reverend Joseph Stevenson, appointed by . . . — — Map (db m56951) HM
On a site originally called "Delight" by Mingo Indians, Greensboro was founded by Elias Stone in 1790. It became prominent as a frontier-era industrial hub with Albert Gallatin's Glassworks and a number of pottery factories, and later as a . . . — — Map (db m69904) HM
On this site, the first glass factory west of the Monongahela River was established in 1805 through the stimulating influence of Albert Gallatin, Secretary of the Treasury under Thomas Jefferson. Glass was made here until 1849. — — Map (db m56955) HM
This was first Baptist college in western Pennsylvania. It was begun by Ten Mile Baptist Association in 1867, opened in 1869, and in 1871 chartered by legislature. Operated 1869-1888; reopened 1890 and finally closed 1894. College building, erected . . . — — Map (db m56953) HM
photos of John Taylor Sr-Revoluntionary War/Mary "Kiser" Taylor-Believed to Be/Pvt Jesse Taylor-Hero/Hero Post Office 1899-1917
The village of Hero was originally located on the land where this sign proudly stands. Today Hero is . . . — — Map (db m71267) HM
Jesse Taylor, Priv. Co. F, 7th Regt. W.Va. Vol. Infy., Aged 21 yrs. and 1 mon.
First soldier killed from Greene Co. Pa. in the War of the Rebellion at Romney W.Va. Oct 26, 1861.
Erected in his memory by his comrades
S.W. Gilmore; G.W. . . . — — Map (db m39358) HM
John L. Lewis, President
United Mine Workers of America
1920 to 1960
Greene County, Pennsylvania
proudly dedicates this monument
to all coal miners
On December 6, 1962, 460 feet directly beneath this site, 37 miners lost . . . — — Map (db m16270) HM
In memory of the men of
Co. K, 110th U.S. Infantry (10th PA.)
who made the supreme sacrifice
in the World War
William G. Meighen
Norman N. Zahniser
Alfred R. McCarty
Charles E. Murphy
Walter B. Riggle
Floyd B. Huffman . . . — — Map (db m16221) HM
Formed February 9, 1796 from Washington County. Named for Gen. Nathanael Greene. Waynesburg, the county seat named for Gen. Anthony Wayne, was incorporated in 1816. Site of Waynesburg College, founded 1849. Near Ten Mile is birthplace of Gov. Edward . . . — — Map (db m16224) HM
Honor Roll of the men of Greene County who gave their lives in the World War.
Areford, John G.
Carey, Harold T.
Closser, Hallie, J.
Crayne, Thomas E.
Creel, James F. . . . — — Map (db m16257) HM
Near here stood one of three blockhouses erected by Captain James Paul's company in 1792, during the State's last troubles with the Indians. On April 17, 1792, soldiers carrying supplies from the Thomas Ryerson mill clashed with an Indian war party . . . — — Map (db m56956) HM