Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Lancaster County Pennsylvania Historical Markers

302 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 102
 
Adamstown & Vicinity Veterans Memorial image, Touch for more information
By Devry Becker Jones, July 12, 2019
Adamstown & Vicinity Veterans Memorial
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Adamstown — Adamstown & Vicinity Veterans Memorial
Dedicated to the memory of veterans of all wars of Adamstown & VicinityMap (db m136649) WM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Adamstown — Kagerise Store and House
Kagerise Store and House built 1827 has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior [Additional plaque below:] 1776-1976 Cocalico Area . . . — Map (db m136648) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Adamstown — V.F.W. Post 8795 Veterans Memorial
In memory of those who served past — present — future — Map (db m136647) WM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Bainbridge — Conoy Indian Town
From about 1718-1743, the Conoy Indian Tribe had its settlement slightly to the west of here. Closely related to the Nanticoke Tribe, with whom they eventually merged, the Conoy Indians gradually migrated into Pennsylvania from the area of . . . — Map (db m5759) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Bainbridge — River Brethren
One of the first religious denominations founded in America, the group held its first baptism in the nearby Conoy Creek around 1780. Worship services were held down this lane at Magdalena House, the home of Jacob Engel, one of the founders. The . . . — Map (db m84436) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Bainbridge — Samuel S. Haldeman — (1812 - 1880)
The internationally known scientist and philologist was born one-quarter mile south, in the mansion at Locust Grove. Built 1811 by his grandfather, John B. Haldeman, this was the younger man's home until he moved to Chickies, seven miles south, in . . . — Map (db m5760) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Brickerville — Hopewell Forge Mansion
Built c. 1740 by Peter Grubb, pioneer ironmaster at nearby Cornwall Furnace, and named for the Upper and Lower Hopewell Forges located on Hammer Creek near the house. Remnants of the forge dams may still be seen in the creek. — Map (db m30272) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Christiana — Christiana Riot Monument
(East Face) In Commemoration of the “Christiana Riot” September 11, 1851, and the Treason Trials Sept. 29 – Dec. 17, 1851. (North Face) Indicted for Treason U.S. Circuit Court E.D. PA. Aug. 1 1851: 1. Gastiner . . . — Map (db m117273) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Christiana — The Christiana Riot
The 1850 federal Fugitive Slave Act strengthened the position of slave-owners seeking to capture runaways. Pursuing four escaped slaves, Maryland farmer Edward Gorsuch arrived Sept. 11, 1851, at the Christiana home of William Parker, an African . . . — Map (db m5715) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Christiana — William C. Sproul
Governor of Pennsylvania, 1919-23, was born .4 mile SW, in 1870. The house is marked. His term is noted for road building, the Edmonds Act improving the public school system, and the creation of the Department of Welfare. He died near Chester in . . . — Map (db m5714) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Columbia — "The Returned Soldier" — Dedicated May 30th 1928
In commemoration of the patriotic spirit, valor and heroism of the men and women of this community who served their country in war 1776 1918 — Map (db m136299) WM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Columbia — 40th Parallel
Maryland's charter, granted in 1632, included old Philadelphia since it made the 40th parallel, which crosses the river near this point, her northern boundary. This charter conflicted with the charter given William Penn in 1681. After more than . . . — Map (db m15042) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Columbia — Chickies* Mansion and Chickies* #1 Furnace (*Chickies - also Chiques or Chikis)
In 1828, Henry Haldeman, patriarch of a well-to-do local family, purchased mills (including a saw mill, chopping mill, and a hemp mill) at the mouth of Chiques Creek and set up two of his sons in business there. The eldest son, Samuel, drew up . . . — Map (db m136311) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Columbia — Columbia
Originally Wright's Ferry, founded by John Wright in 1726. An early center for turnpike, canal, and railroad activity, at an important Susquehanna River crossing. First bridge built in 1812. — Map (db m5083) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Columbia — Columbia
In 1726 Quaker John Wright built a log house in an area first granted to George Beale by William Penn 25 years earlier. Wright established a ferry at this natural crossing point on the Susquehanna in 1730. Originally known as Wright's Ferry, the . . . — Map (db m5762) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Columbia — Columbia and Its Railroads
The Pennsylvania Railroad was the dominant railroad with predecessor railroads converging on Columbia from four directions. East—Philadelphia and Columbia reached Columbia in 1834. West—Wrightsvile, York and Gettysburg crossed the . . . — Map (db m136294) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Columbia — Columbia Veterans Memorial
World War I 1917-1919 Total U.S. Casualties - 320,710 World War II 1941-1945 Total U.S. Casualties - 1,070,162 Korean War 1950-1953 Total U.S. Casualties - . . . — Map (db m136302) WM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Columbia — Columbia: a Transportation Hub — Lancaster-York Heritage Region — Susquehanna River Water Trail —
During the mid-nineteenth century, Columbia was a busting transportation hub. Turnpikes, ferries, bridges, canals, wharves, and railroads made Columbia a major transshipment point in the movement of lumber, coal, grains, pig iron, and people. . . . — Map (db m136297) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Columbia — First National Bank
The Columbia Bridge Company was formed in 1811 and began to raise money for a bridge between Columbia and Wrightsville. This business served as the first bank in the community, and by 1814 had used its profits to build the first . . . — Map (db m122597) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Columbia — Hiestand Saw Mill and Dam
From the colonial times through the early 1900, water-powered mills were a backbone of industry in the United States. The lower Susquehanna Valley was a popular location for the construction of saw mills. Large timber rafts were floated downriver . . . — Map (db m136310) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Columbia — Lincoln Highway
The country's first coast-to-coast highway was established in 1913 by the Lincoln Highway Association, largely by improving and linking existing roads between New York and San Francisco. The highway changed the way people traveled and the landscape . . . — Map (db m5761) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Columbia — Prelude to Gettysburg / A Desperate Plan
(side 1) Prelude to Gettysburg One of the great debates of our Country's history and legacy is what scholars call "the two Civil Wars": the first a matter of campaigns, generals, and troop movements and the second focusing on the . . . — Map (db m122592) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Columbia — Railroads During the Civil War — Rivertowns — Civil War Trails —
Columbia's strategic position would have made it a fine prize for an invading Southern army bent on disrupting vital communications and supply lines in the North. Railroads connected Columbia with Philadelphia, York, and Harrisburg, and canal . . . — Map (db m136290) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Columbia — Samuel Wright — Born May 12, 1754 ~ Died September 7, 1811
Samuel Wright, Son of James and Rhoda Wright, was the original proprietor of Old Columbia. He named and laid out the bounds of the early town in what was then Wright's Ferry. His generosity to his fellow townsmen was manifested in a grant of . . . — Map (db m122689) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Columbia — Susquehannock Apartments — 146 Locust Street
Susquehannock — One of the two Native American Tribes (Shawnee) that originally populated the area around Columbia, PA. During the 1700', their estimated combined numbers were 2,000 (7,000 by modern estimates). Migrated to the area . . . — Map (db m136298) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Columbia — The Old Columbia Public Grounds Co. — "River Park"
The Old Columbia Public Grounds Company had its inception in the desire of Samuel Wright, the founder of Columbia, to do something of lasting benefit for the citizens of the town. As he saw it, the ground along the river shore was the most valuable . . . — Map (db m136293) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Columbia — Trolleys
Trolley systems spread rapidly throughout Lancaster and York Counties near the beginning of the Twentieth Century as they did elsewhere in the nation. Across the Susquehanna the Wrightsville & York Street Railway joined its namesakes in 1904. The . . . — Map (db m136303) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Columbia — U.S. Submarine Veterans — World War II
Dedicated to all submariners of World War II wherein 3,617 men and 52 submarines were lost We honor those men and all those that served with themMap (db m136300) WM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Conestoga — Conestoga
Lancaster – 7 Conestoga Home of the Conestoga Wagon Formerly Conestoga Center Founded by John Kendig 1805 — Map (db m122697) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Conestoga — Conestoga Indian Town
The Conestoga Indians in origin largely the survivors of the defeated ancient Susquehannas or Minquas of Iroquoian stock located their village variously on these lands in the Penn Proprietary Manor of Conestoga chiefly . . . — Map (db m122589) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Conestoga — Conestoga Indian Town
The Conestoga Indians lived in scattered settlements along this stream. They were the last of the once mighty Susquehannocks. Their final location was the Conestoga Indian Town which was along the road leading to Creswell. William Penn visited the . . . — Map (db m122634) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Conestoga — Iron Works
In 1846 the Safe Harbor blast furnace, foundry and rolling mill, using anthracite for fuel, were built by Reeves, Abbott & Co. Great quantities of iron and rails were produced for the Pennsylvania R.R., incorporated in the same year. During the . . . — Map (db m122690) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Conestoga — Moving Heaven and Earth — The Atglen & Susquehanna in Manor Township
When construction began in 1903, no other section of the Pennsylvania Railroad's (PRR) A&S Branch likely seemed as improbable as that along the western boundary of Manor Township. There was no existing path sufficient to the purpose of two-track, . . . — Map (db m129465) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Conestoga — The Atglen & Susquehanna Low Grade — The Pennsylvania Railroad's Dedicated Freight Road
The Atglen & Susquehanna Branch was constructed (1903-1906) by the Pennsylvania Railroad (PRR) as the middle segment of its Low Grade lane, an ambitious through-freight route which extended some 140 miles from Morrisville Yard near Trenton, New . . . — Map (db m122585) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Conestoga — The Cost of Dynamite — The Atglen & Susquehanna in Conestoga Township
Dynamite was essential for expedient construction of the A&S. Rock cliffs on the Susquehanna River were blasted for months to create shelves that carried the rails northward, a lower route for the older Port Road and an upper route for the new A&S . . . — Map (db m122692) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Elizabethtown — Barnabas and Elizabeth Hughes
Barnabas and Elizabeth Hughes, founding family of Elizabethtown, from County Donegal, Ireland, purchased the Bear Tavern trading post along the Conoy Creek from Lazarus Lowrey in 1753. Barnabas laid out the town, one of the earliest communities . . . — Map (db m136588) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Elizabethtown — Changes in Elizabethtown
Elizabethtown was incorporated on April 13, 1827, and a railroad was built through the area in the 1830's. Elizabethtown College was established in 1899 and the Masonic Homes followed in 1911. The Borough began its life as primarily an agricultural . . . — Map (db m136603) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Elizabethtown — Design of Elizabethtown
The town had a central square and a "diamond" pattern common to many newly founded Pennsylvania towns. Stakes in the ground identified boundaries of lots, streets, and alleys. Barnabas Hughes gave them names they still carry—Market Street, . . . — Map (db m136589) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Elizabethtown — Elizabeth Area Veterans Memorial
This memorial is dedicated to all persons who served in the Armed Forces to preserve freedom and democracy of the United States of America World War I George S. Alwine Abram B. Brandt Guy Culp Walter F. Eshelman Abraham W. . . . — Map (db m136606) WM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Elizabethtown — Elizabethtown — Carrier of Change
"Wood and coal produced steam that powered passenger trains through Elizabethtown for over 100 years. The 'Golden Age' of steam ended in 1938 when the Pennsylvania Railroad purchased safer, faster, cleaner electric locomotives." —Pat . . . — Map (db m136605) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Elizabethtown — Grist Mill Process
The Groff, Stauffer, Binkley Mill was most likely steam powered but many of the local mills were run on a water stream's flow and water pressure as depicted here. Standard Mill Mechanisms (panel 1) Grain Bin • Chute • Elevator • . . . — Map (db m135199) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Elizabethtown — In Memoriam
This tablet is erected in memory of two citizens of Elizabethtown who were posthumously awarded our nations highest military award, the Congressional Medal of Honor for conspicuous gallantry & intrepidity in action at the risk of their lives above & . . . — Map (db m136607) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Elizabethtown — Industry in Elizabethtown
In the early 1900's the Klein Chocolate Company and several shoe factories opened in town. The last of the shoe factories closed in 1979, but Klein Chocolate became part of what is now Mars Chocolate and still plays an important role in the . . . — Map (db m136604) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Elizabethtown — Jacob Gottwals Francis (1870-1958)
In 1898, J.G. Francis of Oaks, Pennsylvania, then in his late twenties, a free minister of the Green Tree Church of the Brethren, traveled on bicycle throughout eastern Pennsylvania and the eastern shore of Maryland photographing Brethren . . . — Map (db m136609) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Elizabethtown — Mary Zug Francis (1870-1958)
Mary Zug, the wife of J.G. Francis, was the daughter of Michael and Mary Frantz Zug. She lived at a time when social changes were a challenge to many long held traditions and customs. Though she was a woman of strong beliefs, she was also a woman of . . . — Map (db m136610) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Elizabethtown — Millstone Plaza History
On this site in 1876, Joseph K. Groff built Groff's Mill, a steam-powered grist mill on Negley's Run. In 1877, when Joseph joined his brother, John K. Groff, in the meat business at a butcher shop at 13 North Market Street, he sold the mill to Jacob . . . — Map (db m135098) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Elizabethtown — The Brethren
The Brethren movement started in 1708 in Schwarzenau, Germany when a group of Pietists of Reformed and Lutheran background adopted an anabaptist church organization. Due to severe repression and economic necessity, virtually the entire movement . . . — Map (db m136608) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Elizabethtown — The Shoe Industry in Elizabethtown
Shoe manufacturing was an important industry in Elizabethtown's history. One of the first building lots in town as sold in 1763 to Fredrick Zetty, a shoemaker. He handcrafted custom leather shoes from hides purchased from local tanneries. By 1860, . . . — Map (db m136587) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Ephrata — 249 West Main Street
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m136641) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Ephrata — Brothers' House Complex
The Brothers' House (Bethania) was built on this site in the spring of 1746. Although it is difficult to determine the actual height of the building, the Brothers' House was probably a four-and-one-half story half-timber structure that measured . . . — Map (db m23082) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Ephrata — Ephrata Cloister
Surviving restored buildings of the Seventh Day Baptist community founded by Conrad Beissel. Original buildings erected between 1735 and 1749. Administered by the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum CommissionMap (db m8264) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Ephrata — Ephrata Cloister
Surviving buildings of the famous Ephrata community of Seventh Day Baptists, founded by Conrad Beissel, 1732. Turn to the right here to see this State historic shrine. — Map (db m8266) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Ephrata — Ephrata Veterans Memorial
We fought for purity courage and justice — Map (db m136626) WM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Ephrata — Ephrata's Veterans' Plaza
"They are not dead who live in the hearts they leave behind." Tuscarora Indian Proverb Ephrata's Veterans' Plaza is dedicated to all American servicement and women, from all wars. We hope that generations to come will honor the . . . — Map (db m136639) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Ephrata — Home of Conrad Beissel — 1691 - 1768 — A Landmark of American Music —
Founder and superintendent of the Ephrata Cloister. Conrad Beissel was one of America's earliest composers of hymns and anthems, organizer and teacher of the cloister singing school and publisher of America's first book of original . . . — Map (db m22442) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Ephrata — Mentzer Building
Mentzer Building has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior 1889 — Map (db m136624) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Ephrata — Mount Zion Buildings
Constructed by the Brotherhood between 1738 and 1745. Included both a dormitory and Saal. During the Revolutionary War some of the Mount Zion buildings served as a hospital for American soldiers. — Map (db m136646) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Ephrata — The Kedar
Archaeologists working at this site between 1994 and 1998 located evidence of a large 18th century structure built of posts placed in the ground, as defined by the stone outline. There are several possible interpretations for this previously . . . — Map (db m136643) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Ephrata — This site honors the Sister City Relationship between Ephrata, Pennsylvania and Eberbach, Germany
This site honors the Sister City Relationship between Ephrata, Pennsylvania and Eberbach, Germany. This relationship was established in 1976 as part of the Ephrata Bicentennial Celebration. Eberbach is the birthplace of . . . — Map (db m136625) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Gap — Great Minquas Path
An Indian trail, which was later the original Conestoga Road, passed through Gap, half a mile south of here. Over it, in the 17th century Minquas(Conestoga) Indians carried quantities of beaver skins from the Susquehanna Valley to trading post near . . . — Map (db m5718) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Gap — The Gap Clock Tower
Unique on American Highways, was erected by the people of Gap in 1892. It was restored in 1953. The clock’s face, long telling time to passing multitudes on the Newport Road, overlooks, at The Gap, William Penn’s entrance into Conestoga, new . . . — Map (db m122694) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Gap — William Chester Ruth — (1882-1971)
African American inventor who opened a blacksmith and machine shop here in 1923. He did metal work and repairs, primarily for Pennsylvania German farmers. Ruth designed and patented many agricultural devices, most notably his 1928 baler feeder. He . . . — Map (db m48495) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Kinzer — Kinzer — Founded 1835 —
Gap-2 KINZER Named for Harry Kinzer Decendent of Huguenot Settlers Founded 1835 — Map (db m50426) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Abraham de Peyster
Abraham dePeyster Alderman of the City of New York 1685; Mayor of that City, 1691-95. Member of Earl Bellomont’s Council, 1698, Assistant Judge of the Supreme Court, 1698. Colonel Commanding, Regiment of Militia of City Trained Bands 1700 Chief . . . — Map (db m54368) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — African-American Women Escape County Jail, 1835 — Lancaster County Sheriff, 'Dare Devil Dave' Miller secretly liberated women jailed by bounty hunters
Fulton Theatre, directly opposite of this block, is among the nation's oldest continually operating performance halls. When this site was the location of the Lancaster County Jail, a dramatic episode in the Underground Railroad history occurred. The . . . — Map (db m136439) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Ambulance Co. No. 111   28th Division A.E.F.
To honor the members of Ambulance Co. No. 111   28th Division A.E.F. Originally Company No. 3 Penna. National Guard * Captain Charles P. Starr, Commanding Officer Captains * John D. Boger   * Alfred F. Compton   * Grant B. Weaver   * William . . . — Map (db m54592) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Andrew Ellicott — (1754 - 1820)
Surveyor, mathematician, astronomer. Secretary, Pennsylvania Land Office, 1801-08. In 1803, while living here, he taught Meriwether Lewis surveying and navigation skills. Helped survey & draw boundaries of New York, Pennsylvania, Washington, D.C. & . . . — Map (db m5171) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — At Rockford near here lived & died General Edward Hand, M.D.
Soldier of the Revolution, Adjutant General & friend of Washington. Born in Clydruff, Ireland. He first fought for British rights, then for American liberty. Lancaster County's Historical Society erected this tablet Sept. 20, A.D. 1912, to honor a . . . — Map (db m5231) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — B. F. Good/P. Lorillard Tobacco Warehouse
B.F. Good/P. Lorillard Tobacco Warehouse built in 1899 has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m136616) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Bailey's Printshop
Francis Bailey, official printer to both the U.S. Congress and the Commonwealth, operated a printing office on this site from 1773 to 1780. Here, he produced many historic imprints including Thomas Paine's "Crisis No. 4." — Map (db m5159) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Belmont Lime kiln — circa 1876
These lime kilns were built in the late 19th century for the purpose of making lime. Broken limestone was dumped into the top and heated to approximately 1500F degrees in the chambers or "pots". At this point the stone was calcined and chemically . . . — Map (db m136615) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Belmont Quarry
In the later 19th century, David M. Mayer, owner of Belmont Farm, began his lime kiln operation to aid local farmers in fertilizing the rich Lancaster County soil with needed lime. To fuel his lime kilns, Mayer excavated stone on his property, and . . . — Map (db m136614) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Benjamin Franklin — 1706 - 1790
[Front:] Benjamin Franklin 1706 - 1790 Philosopher Diplomat Inventor Scientist Printer Author [Left side:] Franklin College University of Pennsylvania Pennsylvania Hospital Circulating Library . . . — Map (db m136428) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Captain Stephen Chambers — 1753 - 1789
Officer in Revolutionary War Delegate to the State Convention which ratified the Constitution of the United States trustee of Franklin College Worshipful Master of Lancaster Lodge No. 43 F. and AM Member of Lancaster Bar and . . . — Map (db m5208) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Central Market
The red brick market building directly before you is the oldest publicly owned, continually operated market in the United States, representing a Lancaster tradition since 1730. This building, which was constructed in 1889 by John Berger, is . . . — Map (db m5152) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Charles Demuth
Born in Lancaster, Nov. 8, 1883. Demuth achieved international fame for his precise modernist paintings including "My Egypt" and "I Saw the Figure 5 in Gold." He traveled in the U.S. and abroad but resided after 1889 in this house. Here he died in . . . — Map (db m5202) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Colonel Matthias Slough — 1733-1812
Officer in Revolutionary War Member of General Assembly Coroner who presided at inquest of Paxton Massacre Proprietor of White Swan Tavern Member of St. James Church — Map (db m5212) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Colonial Mansion
This house, of true Georgian style, was built about 1750. The ground was purchased by Thomas Poultney, merchant, in 1749, John Passmore, first mayor of Lancaster, occupied the house at one time. — Map (db m5226) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Conestoga Navigation Company
A slackwater canal between Lancaster and Safe Harbor, built following the company's incorporation in 1825, facilitated access to Philadelphia, Baltimore, and other ports. This canal's 18-mile course included nine sets of locks and dams; Lock No. 1 . . . — Map (db m5327) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — David M. Mayer House — 1867
David M. Mayer (1836-1891) began construction of his original home in 1867. In 1870, David purchased the 203 acres where the house sits from his father, Martin Mayer. He married Katherine F. Hunsucker in 1868 and had two children. David dies in 1891 . . . — Map (db m136612) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Early Architecture
This one and a half story house is typical of the architecture during the period of early settlement of Lancaster, dating from 1730. Most of the local houses in 1800 were of this style. — Map (db m5168) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Early Transportation Routes
King Street Throughout Lancaster City's history, king Street has been a major throughfare between Philadelphia and points west. In 1733 work commenced on the King's Highway, now Route 340. This highway began at the square extended eastward on . . . — Map (db m5153) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Edward Shippen — 1703 - 1781
Chairman of Committee of Correspondence During American Revolution Chief Burgess of Lancaster at time of Paxton Massacre Judge of the County Court One of Founders and a Trustee of Princeton University Grandfather of Peggy, wife of . . . — Map (db m5207) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — 37 — First Presbyterian Church — American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site
Congregation traces its origin to 1742. The first regular pastor was Rev. John D. Woodhull, Revolutionary patriot. First building completed here in 1770; present edifice dedicated 1851. James Buchanan, 15th President of the U.S., was a member. — Map (db m122389) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — First Reformed Church
Congregation of German, Swiss, and French settlers was formed about 1729. Log church here, Lancaster's first, 1736. Stone building, 1753; brick church, 1854. Rev. Philip Otterbein, Rev. William Hendel, Dr. Henry Harbaugh were eminent pastors. — Map (db m5205) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Frank E. and Eva L. Manning Alumni Green
In 1853 James Buchanan, president of the Board of Trustees and later the fifteenth president of the United States, chose this as the site of the newly merged Franklin & Marshall College. The College Building, which became known as Old Main in the . . . — Map (db m136425) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Franklin & Marshall College September 11 Memorial
In Remembrance of Members of the Franklin & Marshall College Community and All Others Who Perished in the Terrorist Attacks of September 11, 2001 World Trade Center, New York City, NY Jeffrey M. Charnoff '88 Edward J. . . . — Map (db m136432) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Frederick Augustus Muhlenberg
Sacred to the memory of Frederick Augustus Muhlenberg who was born on the 1st day of January, 1750 and departed this life on the 4th day of June, 1801 Aged 51 years, 5 months and 5 days ------------------------------ Lutheran Pastor in Colonial . . . — Map (db m54382) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Fulton Opera House
Built in 1852 and named Fulton Hall in honor of Robert Fulton. It is considered an excellent example of the 19th century "Opera House." For more than 75 years, every major star of the American theatre appeared on its stage. — Map (db m5170) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — General Edward Hand — 1744 - 1802
Lancaster's leading soldier During Revolutionary War Friend and Companion-in-Arms of Gen. George Washington Member of Continental Congress Chief Burgess of Lancaster Warden and Vestryman of St. James Church Rock Ford his Lancaster . . . — Map (db m5211) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — George Ross
Soldier, ardent patriot, jurist, and a Signer of the Declaration of Independence, settled at Lancaster about 1751. Site of his country house, now marked by monument, is on Ross Street, nine blocks north. Died, 1779. — Map (db m5227) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Gotthilf Heinrich Ernst Muhlenberg, S.T.B.
Here rest the bones of Gotthilf Heinrich Ernst Muhlenberg, S.T.B. who, as a true shepherd, tended this congregation with the Gospel of Christ for 35 years. His spirit joyfully escaped its shell, which collapsed here on the 23rd of May, 1815, in . . . — Map (db m54386) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Grape Hotel
. . . — Map (db m53457) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Harry P. Forry
Harry P. Forry Lt. Army Air Force July 14, 1942 — Map (db m136502) WM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Henry Hess Landis Farm
Isaac C. Landis (1843-1931) established this farmstead around 1870 on a 52-acre parcel. It consisted primarily of the wooden frame house in front of you and a medium-size barn, both painted red. In 1908, the barn burned down and he had it rebuilt. . . . — Map (db m84452) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Henry Krauskopf House and Store
Henry Krauskopf House and Store Oldest surviving structure for the manufacturing and marketing of cigar boxes and tobacco related products built in 1874 has been placed on the National Register of the United States Department . . . — Map (db m136437) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Henry Norwood "Barney" Ewell — (1918-1996)
A graduate of McCaskey High School and Penn State Univ., Ewell was one of the world’s leading sprinters and long jumpers in the late 1930s and 40s. Cancellation of the 1940 and 1944 Olympics during WWII prevented Ewell from competing in his prime. . . . — Map (db m135752) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Historic Site in Journalism
Lancaster Newspapers, published on this site of Francis Bailey's colonial printshop, trace their roots to the Lancaster Journal of 1794. the Journal was published and edited by William Hamilton and Henry Willcocks. It merged with the Intelligencer, . . . — Map (db m5160) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Holy Trinity Lutheran Church
Founded in 1730. a session for an Indian treaty was held in the original church building in 1762. The present edifice was dedicated in 1766. Here are interred the remains of Thomas Wharton (1778) and Gov. Thomas Mifflin (1800). — Map (db m5124) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Home Site of Col. William Henry — 1729 - 1786
Prominent patriot Master rifle maker Enterprising and successful experimenter in steam navigation — Map (db m5156) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — In Memory of World War I Heroes
In memory of World War I Heroes — Map (db m136430) WM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Isaac Long Barn
The United Brethren in Christ, and the Evangelical United Brethren Church, trace their origin to the joint efforts of Rev. Philip w. Otterbein of the German Reformed Church and Martin Boehm, a Mennonite preacher, as a revival held here about 1767. . . . — Map (db m8267) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — James Buchanan
Lawyer, statesman, diplomat, and fifteenth President of United States, lies buried in this cemetery, about 350 yards southeast. His home, Wheatland, located on Marietta Avenue, is marked with a bronze tablet. — Map (db m5117) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — James Buchanan
President of the United States 1857 – 1861 Given in memory by Dulon F. Buchmiller — Map (db m54356) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — James Buchanan
Fifteenth President of the United States, lies buried at Woodward Hill Cemetery located five blocks to the south on Queen Street. — Map (db m84451) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — James Buchanan Home
has been designated a Registered National Historic Landmark Under the provisions of the Historic Sites Act of August 21, 1935 this site possesses exceptional value in commemorating and illustrating the history of the United States. U.S. Department . . . — Map (db m54353) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — James Hale Steinman, A.B., LL. B., LL.D.
October 22, 1886 - December 31, 1962 Graduate of the Yeates School, The Hotchkiss School, Yale University University of Pennsylvania School of Law President and publisher of Lancaster newspapers Chairman of the board, Intelligencer Printing . . . — Map (db m5163) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — James Hazlett Binns
1912 - 1985 Industrialist • Patriot • Humanitarian • Mentor He rose from sales trainee to become president and chairman of Armstrong World Industries, a director of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, and chairman of the National Association of . . . — Map (db m5324) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — James Tilden Sheckard — 1878 – 1947
Dedicated to the memory of James Tilden Sheckard 1878 – 1947 the Lancaster County boy who starred on the Baltimore Orioles the Brooklyn Dodgers and the famous Champion Chicago Cubs of 1906-1910 to become one of the great outfielders of all . . . — Map (db m54364) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Jasper Yeates — 1746 - 1817
Member of Committee of Correspondence During Revolution Judge of the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania Delegate to the State Convention which Ratified the Constitution of the United States Man for Whom Yeates School was named . . . — Map (db m5209) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — John Durang
. . . — Map (db m122422) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — John Durang — (1768 - 1822)
The first American-born professional stage performer, Durang gained fame as a dancer, actor, clown, musician, acrobat, choreographer, and puppeteer. Born in Lancaster near here, he performed in the northeastern US, eventually founding his own . . . — Map (db m122423) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — John F. Reynolds — (1820-1863)
Major General in the Union Army during the Civil War. He played a key role in committing the Army of the Potomac to the Battle of Gettysburg, July 1, 1863. He was killed early on the first day. Buried in Lancaster Cemetery, he was born and resided . . . — Map (db m84450) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — John Frederick Steinman, Ph. B., LL. D.
August 21, 1884 - December 23, 1980 Graduate of the Yeates School, the Hotchkiss School, and Yale University Publisher and chairman of the board of Lancaster Newspapers, Inc. Chairman of the board, Intelligencer Printing Company Co-founder . . . — Map (db m5162) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — John Fulton Reynolds
Colonel of the Fifth Infantry, U.S. Army Major General of Volunteers Born September 21, 1820 Killed at the Battle of Gettysburg while commanding the Left Wing of the Army of the Potomac July 1, 1863 Erected by Independent Battery I Pa. Light . . . — Map (db m54370) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — John Marshall
[Front:] The Great Chief Justice John Marshall 1755-1835 "United we are strong, divided we fall" "Silverheels" [Left side:] "That [the slave trade] is contrary to the laws of nature will scarcely . . . — Map (db m136429) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Joseph Simon — (1712 - 1804)
Jewish pioneer and merchant, Simon played a significant role in the development of central and western PA. He participated in expeditions as far as the Mississippi and helped establish Lancaster as a center for exploration, trade & settlement. . . . — Map (db m134339) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Klauder-Apple Walk — dedicated to Charles Zeller Klauder and Henry Harbaugh Apple
Charles Zeller Klauder (1872 - 1937), a Philadelphia architect and prolific designer of educational buildings, was selected as Franklin & Marshall's architect and planner in 1923. During the next seven years, he designed Franklin-Meyran and . . . — Map (db m136431) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Lancaster County
Formed on May 10, 1729 out of Chester County. Named for Lancashire in England. County seat, Lancaster, was chartered a borough in 1742; a city in 1818. It was the State capital, 1799-1812. County is noted for its rich farmland and ethnic diversity. — Map (db m5203) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Lancaster County Civil War Veterans Memorial
In honor and memory of Lancaster County Veterans for their service and sacrifice during the Civil War Civil War 1861 - 1865 — Map (db m136506) WM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Lancaster County Korean War Veterans Memorial
In honor and memory of Lancaster County Veterans for their service and sacrifice during the Korean War 1950 - 1955 — Map (db m136508) WM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Lancaster County Veterans Memorial
Dedicated to the Veterans of Lancaster County November 11, 2011 — Map (db m136504) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Lancaster County Vietnam War Veterans Memorial
In honor and memory of Lancaster County Veterans for their service and sacrifice during the Vietnam War 1964-1975 — Map (db m136503) WM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Lancaster County World War II Merchant Marine Veterans Memorial
Dedicated to World War II Merchant Marine Veterans of Lancaster County November 11, 2012 — Map (db m136505) WM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Lancaster County World War II Veterans Memorial
In honor and memory of Lancaster County Veterans for their service and sacrifice during World War II — Map (db m136507) WM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Lancaster Rotary Park: 100 years of Rotary International — Lancaster City
On February 23, 1905 Rotary International, the world's first and largest non-profit service organization was founded. Paul Harris met with three of his friends in Chicago, Illinois, to promote business fellowship. The name "Rotary" derived from the . . . — Map (db m136618) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Lancaster's 'freedom spies' — Rauch, Boston helped Thaddeus Stevens thwart slave catchers, circa 1850
In an upper floor office this square at No. 8 West King Street, the notorious George Hughes operated a business that supported bounty hunters who came here from Southern states tracking formerly enslaved Africans living and working in relative . . . — Map (db m136494) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Lancaster's Historic Diversity — Lancaster City
At the root of Lancaster City's history, one major element is consistent...diversity. In the mid 1700s, the first citizens were from a variety of ethnic and religious backgrounds — German, Scots-Irish, and English. ❖ German . . . — Map (db m136450) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Landis Graveyard

Herein lie the remains of the following who were interred here in the past

(front) Anna Binkley 1783-1847 • Barbara Hershey 1769-1828 Johannes Eby 1800-1822 • C. H. -1771 A. F. -1822 • E. H. -1771 Anna Stibges Frank . . . — Map (db m126339) HM

Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Leo F. Hauck — 1888 – 1950
Memorial to Leo F. Hauck 1888 – 1950 In an era of top middleweight and light heavyweight boxers, 1905 – 1920, Leo Hauck rose through them all to become “Uncrowned Middleweight Champion of the World.” Always a clean . . . — Map (db m54366) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Major John Light — 1755-1834
Served throughout the Revolutionary War Fought in Battles of Lake Champlain Princeton and Yorktown Chief Burgess of Lancaster Member of St. James Church — Map (db m5213) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Mathias Roeser
Here from 1740 to 1771 lived one of colonial America's most important gunsmiths. His work was central to development of the Pennsylvania rifle. Other family members and an apprentice, William Henry, Sr., became leading gunsmiths & supplied arms to . . . — Map (db m5167) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Mayer Cemetery — Cemetery at Belmont
This 50 ft Χ 60 ft graveyard, surrounded by an iron fence, contains 21 headstones and 17 foot stones in the enclosure. Some of the inscriptions on sandstone markers are now unable to be deciphered due to weathering and elements. Below is a list of . . . — Map (db m136613) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Military Stables and Barracks
This long building was used as military stables during the Revolution. On opposite side of street, stood the Barracks where British and Hessians were imprisoned during that period. — Map (db m5122) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Montgomery House
Listed in the National Register of Historic Places, this house was built in 1804 for prominent Lancaster attorney William Montgomery by Harrisburg based architect Stephen Hills. The Montgomery House originally contained a rare oval room on the first . . . — Map (db m136443) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Monument to John Wise

Famous pioneer aeronaut of America, who was born in Lancaster in 1808 and lived most of his life near this spot. Beginning in 1835 he completed, from many towns, 462 balloon ascensions during his lifetime. John Wise lies in . . . — Map (db m126335) HM

Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Old Center Square (Penn Square)
Indian wigwams, a hickory tree, and a spring - that was old center square "Hickory Town" prior to 1730. In that year, however, significant changes occurred as Andrew and James Hamilton laid out Lancaster Townstead with an open square. Streets . . . — Map (db m5151) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Old Courthouse
In 1739, the small brick courthouse of old Lancaster, one of the first in America, was completed. The two story courthouse was constructed in the center of the square and provided a courtroom on the first floor, and a council chamber and small . . . — Map (db m5134) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Old Jail
The Lancaster jail was located a half block to the north from 1753 to 1851. The last remaining Conestoga Indians were held here in protective custody in 1763. They were killed by a vigilante group, the Paxton Boys. No arrests were made. — Map (db m122635) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Patriots of St. James Church
In honor of members of St. James’ Church who served America during the time of the Revolution •     •     • George Ross Signer of the Declaration of Independence •     •     • Major General Edward Hand Friend and companion in arms of General George . . . — Map (db m54381) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Penn Square — Lancaster City
Since its establishment in 1730, Lancaster City has been a bustling, vibrant community with a rich history. Founded by James Hamilton, an English businessman, the city was designed to be the county seat, with a Courthouse placed in the center of . . . — Map (db m5201) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Pennsylvania Medical Society
Founded April 11, 1848, at the First Methodist Episcopal Church on this site. Its purpose was to foster the advancement of medical knowledge, relieve suffering and promote the health of the community. Samuel Humes, M.D., of Lancaster was the first . . . — Map (db m5206) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Pennsylvania Rifle
Misnamed Kentucky Rifle, this famous weapon of the frontier was developed in the 1700's at Lancaster, which was the center for its manufacture — Map (db m84447) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Philadelphia & Columbia Railroad, 1834 — Travel cut to 3½ days across Pennsylvania on first chartered railroad, canals & inclined planes — Lancaster City —
This narrow stretch of land from here to Harrisburg Avenue was part of the state's first chartered public railroad, providing a vital ink to Lancaster's city center. Now known as Mayor Janice C. Stork Corridor Park, this is the last remaining . . . — Map (db m136620) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Privy
      Built in 1828, the privy is one of the three original buildings left on the estate. Privies were in use here until the late 1800’s, when an interior bathroom was added to the mansion. Interesting to note the symmetrical arrangement with the . . . — Map (db m54395) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Revolutionary War Stables
. . . — Map (db m54387) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Reynolds House
Birthplace and residence of Major General John F. Reynolds of the Army of the Potomac. Killed on the morning of the first day of the Battle of Gettysburg, July 1, 1863, his body lies buried in Lancaster Cemetery. — Map (db m5165) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Robert Coleman — 1749 - 1825
Associate Judge of Lancaster County Member of Legislature Delegate to State Convention which Ratified the Constitution of the United States Ironmaster of Lancaster County Warden and Vestryman of St. James Church Father of Ann - Buried . . . — Map (db m5210) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Rock Ford
Name of Colonial mansion of Edward Hand. Adjutant General of the Continental Army, and notable Lancaster physician. George Washington was entertained here in 1791. The old mansion is about a half mile to the southeast. — Map (db m5229) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Ross H. Sachs
Ross H. Sachs was a beloved coach at Franklin & Marshall College for over two decade. A native of Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, Ross was a three-sport athlete at Gettysburg High School and earned All-State honors in basketball and football. After . . . — Map (db m136436) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Ruamie Hill Binns
1914 - 2002 Civic Leader • Volunteer • Philanthropist • Friend She shared her talents and her spirit with Lancaster for six decades, including leadership roles in family and children's services, the Junior League, the Community Chest, the . . . — Map (db m5323) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — S. Dale Kaufman — (1911 - 1977)
S. Dale Kaufman, senior partner in the architectural firm of Haak, Kaufman, Reese and Beers, was the principle architect in the nationally recognized restoration of this market which captured the 1976 H.U.D. honor award for design excellence. A . . . — Map (db m5157) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — S. Woodrow Sponaugle '37
S. Woodrow "Woody" Sponaugle was an outstanding athlete, coach, and athletic director at Franklin & Marshall. The winner of nine letters and Little All-America honors as an undergraduate, Woody returned to the college in 1948 to serve sixteen years . . . — Map (db m136435) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Sgt Joseph E Jackson
To the children in memory of Sgt Joseph E Jackson. Far away in an alien land he found not only a war but children. Children the same as those he knew at home friendly smiling and eager for knowledge. — Map (db m53458) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Shippen House
Site of house occupied 1751-1781, by Edward Shippen; lawyer, judge, Chairman Committee of Observation, and grand-father of Peggy Shippen Arnold. An earlier occupant was Thomas Cookson, first Burgess of Lancaster Borough. — Map (db m31893) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Simon Snyder
Born, 1759, on this site. Governor of Pennsylvania for three terms, 1808-17. His strong appeal for a call to arms, and defense of sound currency, during War of 1812, are noteworthy. Died in 1819 at Selinsgrove. — Map (db m5120) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Site of Conestoga Indian Massacre — December 27, 1763
Site of Conestoga Indian Massacre December 27, 1763 — Map (db m122636) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Smokehouse / Icehouse
      One of the three buildings constructed in 1828, this west dependency appears to have been a combination smokehouse / icehouse when it was originally built. Located a convenient distance from the basement kitchen, it is built of brick, wood, . . . — Map (db m54399) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Soldiers and Sailors Monument
Directly before you in the square stands the soldiers and sailors monument, erected in 1874 by the Lancaster County Monumental Association to honor the brave men and women of Lancaster County who died to save the Union during the Civil War. The . . . — Map (db m5129) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — St. James' Church (Episcopal)
Founded 1744. Original structure built 1746-53; this building begun 1820. George Ross, signer of the Declaration of Independence, was vestryman. Buried here are the patriots Edward Shippen, William Atlee, Edward Hand, and Jasper Yeates. — Map (db m5204) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Stevens Grave & Memorial — Shreiner-Concord Cemetery
Stevens Grave & Memorial Burial place of a true American hero ---------------- Thaddeus StevensLancaster County’s U.S. Representative was the most powerful congressman during the Civil War and early Reconstruction. He was a master . . . — Map (db m54598) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Thaddeus Stevens
Lawyer, congressman, defender of free public schools, abolitionist, lies buried in the rear of this cemetery. He believed in the "Equality of man before his Creator." Resided in Lancaster from 1842 until his death, 1868. — Map (db m5228) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Thaddeus Stevens — 1792 - 1868
Leading statesman of the Civil War period lived here from 1843 until the time of his death — Map (db m136445) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Thaddeus Stevens
Philanthropy An important part of Thaddeus Stevens' legacy is his philanthropy. Throughout his life he could never recall the poverty and discrimination of his childhood without great pain. Its effect was to sensitize him to the oppression . . . — Map (db m136622) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — The Evangelic Lutheran Church of the Holy Trinity
Earliest Congregation in Lancaster Organized 1730 Fostered six other city congregations ————•———— First church erected 1734 Present building begun in 1761 Dedicated in 1766 by Henry Melchior . . . — Map (db m54654) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — The Jasper Yeates Building
The Jasper Yeates Building circa 1775 has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m136441) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — The New Era Building
The New Era Building circa 1890 has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m136501) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — The Rev. Thomas Barton
Memorial Stone to The Rev. Thomas Barton 1730 – 1780 British Missionary who served for 19 years with distinction as third rector of St. James Church 1759-1778. True to his ordination vows, he remained loyal to the Crown during the American . . . — Map (db m54377) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — The Revolutionary War — 1775-1783
This marker pays tribute to the soldiers who fought for our liberty and the women who supported them. The plaque also marks the site of the county's first courthouse where, on September 27, 1777, the Continental Congress met for a day. Lancaster . . . — Map (db m136456) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — The Richard Kneedler Sculpture Garden
During his 35 years as a faculty member, administrator and president of Franklin & Marshall College, Richard Kneedler '65, P'98 devoted his extraordinary leadership abilities to transform his alma mater in a variety of significant ways. One of . . . — Map (db m136422) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — The Steinman Hardware Building
The Steinman Hardware Building circa 1886 has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m136440) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — The War of 1812
On June 18th, 1812, the United States Congress declared war on Great Britain, at the request of President James Madison. The British had blockaded the U.S. coast, seized American ships, and impressed their seamen. Also, the Canadians supported . . . — Map (db m136458) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — The Water Towers in Buchanan Park
Near this site stood two water towers that for approximately seventy years were part of Lancaster’s skyline. In the early twentieth century the Conestoga River was the sole source of public water in the city. As the west end grew, distance from the . . . — Map (db m54369) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Thomas Mifflin, Esq.
Signer of the Constitution of the United States of America Erected by General Thomas Mifflin Chapter Mifflintown, Juniata County, Pennsylvania Daughters of the American Revolution 1987 < Upper Marker : > In perpetuation of the memory of . . . — Map (db m54653) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Thomas Wharton, Jr.
In memoriam Thomas Wharton, Jr. First President of the Supreme Executive Council of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and Captain General and Commander-in-Chief in and over the same on March 5, 1777 Died in Office, greatly lamented May 23, 1778. At . . . — Map (db m54657) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — U.S.S. Maine Memorial
In Memoriam U.S.S. Maine Destroyed in Havana Harbor February 15th 1898 This tablet is cast from metal recovered from the U.S.S. Maine < Rear Marker : > 1898 – 1902       Erected by General Wm. S. McCaskey Camp United Spanish . . . — Map (db m54400) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Vietnam Veterans Memorial
Dedicated to those Vietnam Veterans who served honorably during the period of August 5, 1964 🎖️ May 7, 1975 — Map (db m136453) WM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Wheatland
Home of President James Buchanan from 1849 to his death is a few blocks away. Statesman and diplomat, as Member of Congress, U.S. Senator, Secretary of State and Minister to England. Elected President in 1856. — Map (db m5232) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Wheatland
The home of James Buchanan, statesman, diplomat and the fifteenth President of the United States (1857 -61), is located on Marietta Avenue, seven blocks south. Buchanan maintained Wheatland as his home from 1848 until he died there on June 1, 1868. — Map (db m122630) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Whitehead Plaza — Franklin & Marshall College, 1787 — Lux Et Lex —
This plaza joins two buildings erected during the presidency of John Summers Stahr, class of 1867, the Gymnasium (1891) and the Science Building (1900-02). Dr. Stahr served his alma mater as professor of Natural Sciences for more than 50 years and . . . — Map (db m136424) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — William Augustus Atlee — 1735-1793
Chairman of Committee of Safety during American Revolution Chief Burgess of Lancaster Judge of first Supreme Court of Pennsylvania Warden and Vestryman of St. James Church — Map (db m5214) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — William J. Iannicelli '48
"Coach I," as he is affectionately known by thousands of Franklin & Marshall alumni, was one of the most successful athletes and coaches in the history of the college. An All-American in track and field and a little All-American in football, Bill . . . — Map (db m136434) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Witmer's Tavern
One of the best surviving structures of its type. Original east end built about 1725 by Benjamin Witmer, agent for the London Land Company. Passed on to his son, tavern-keeper John Witmer. Enlarged by Henry Witmer, 1773. Family was prominent in many . . . — Map (db m8269) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — World War I Memorial — Spirit of the American Doughboy
Dedicated to The men and women of the Seventh Ward Lancaster, PA. who by their patriotism courage and devotion helped win The World War 1914 - 1918 for humanity, liberty and righteousness erected by the Citizens of the . . . — Map (db m66429) WM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lititz — "Steps of Progress"

These "Steps of Progress" to the Lititz Boy Scout Pavilion were provided and built by Boy Scout Ryan Haines of Lititz Boy Scout Troop 142 as his Eagle Scout Project — Map (db m126240) HM

Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lititz — 1895 Drinking Fountain

This fountain was part of the lower piece of one of the three original gas lights that were located at the "Roebuck Memorial Fountain," in Lititz, which was dedicated October 3, 1895. It was saved and has since been rebuilt and placed . . . — Map (db m126231) HM

Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lititz — 66 East Main Street
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m136386) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lititz — An Icon of Lititz Springs Park

The lion's head has been a prominent icon to Lititz Springs Park since 1857. In addition to its beautiful stream, its shaded walkways and its well-kept natural environment, Lititz Springs Park was enhanced by an elegant carving of a lion's head . . . — Map (db m126238) HM

Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lititz — Arched Bridge

In 1856 sandstone from the Furnace Hills north of Lititz was brought to the park grounds by horse and cart and used as coping around the head-end of the Springs. This stone coping continued eastward to prevent the stream from overflowing and . . . — Map (db m126280) HM

Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lititz — Beck Memorial Band Shell

Built in 1937, the "Paul E. Beck Memorial Band Shell" has hosted many musical venues and notable celebrations, including the crowning of the Queen of Candles, the highlight of the 4th of July festivities in the park since . . . — Map (db m126283) HM

Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lititz — Building of the Lititz Freight Station in 1921

In 1884, the Lititz Moravian Congregation, who owned Lititz Springs Park, entered into a ninety-nine year lease with the Philadelphia & Reading Railroad Company for the location of a new Passenger Depot & Express Station to be built on Park . . . — Map (db m126227) HM

Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lititz — Built 1907 — The John Badorf House — 120 N. Broad St., Lititz, PA —
John Badorf was the proprietor of the Warwick House and Badorf Shoe Company. The 360 ton house was originally located on the corner of N. Broad St. and W. Lincoln Ave. It was moved back 50 feet in 1993 for the addition of a third lane on W. Lincoln . . . — Map (db m136378) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lititz — Elmer Holmes Bobst
His generosity interest in human welfare and love for Lititz, his boyhood home, made possible the restoration and development of this park. Established in 1843 by the Moravian Congregation, the park was given to the community of Lititz in 1956. — Map (db m5318) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lititz — Fern Island
At one time, the Lititz Spring Park was swampland with a small stream running through it. In the late 1700's young men from Lititz began filling in the swamp in hopes of making the area a place of leisure and enjoyment. In the mid 1800's, trees . . . — Map (db m136379) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lititz — General Johann Agust Sutter Home
General Johann Agust Sutter Home built in 1871 has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m136388) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lititz — In Grateful Recognition to All Veterans
who preserved the freedom won by America's first veterans that are buried here. 1776 - 1999 — Map (db m5269) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lititz — In Memory of 110 Soldiers of the Continental Army
Who died in the Lititz Military Hospital between December 19, 1777 and August 28, 1778 and are buried here. — Map (db m5268) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lititz — In Memory of the Brave Soldiers of the Continental Army
who died in this building when it was used by order of General Washington as a military hospital from Dec. 19, 1777 to Aug. 28, 1778. This tablet is erected by the Lititz Moravian Congregation of the 450 men quartered here, there died 120, of whom . . . — Map (db m5273) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lititz — John A. Sutter
In the cemetery opposite is buried the California pioneer. Founder of Sacramento, 1839. Gold was discovered on his lands, 1848. Ruined by the gold rush, he made Lititz his home from 1871 until death, 1880. — Map (db m5264) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lititz — John A. Sutter — 1803 - 1880
. . . — Map (db m136385) HM

302 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 102
Paid Advertisement