Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Lancaster County Pennsylvania Historical Markers

302 markers matched your search criteria. Markers 201 through 302 are listed. Previous 200
 
John Augustus Sutter Memorial Marker is located at the head of his tombstone image, Touch for more information
By Don Morfe, December 4, 2003
John Augustus Sutter Memorial Marker is located at the head of his tombstone
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lititz — John Augustus Sutter Memorial
Dedicated by the Sacramento Chamber of Commerce in memory of John Augustus Sutter who founded California's capital, the City of Sacramento August 12, 1839. The fort which he established is today a shrine containing historical relics of the gold rush . . . — Map (db m81796) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lititz — July 4th Candle Illuminations

The first candle illumination in the Lititz Springs Park was held July 4, 1843 when 400 candles were lit to celebrate America's Independence. This long-held tradition was begun to honor a Christmas Eve Moravian custom of lighting a candle to . . . — Map (db m126276) HM

Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lititz — Last Memorial Day Encampment

On Memorial Day, May 31, 1920, members of Stevens Post No. 517 of The Grand Army of the Republic met on the Lititz Springs grounds for the last time. In recognition of their fallen comrades, the 15 remaining local Civil War Veterans set up . . . — Map (db m126281) HM

Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lititz — Linden Hall
Oldest girls' resident school in the United States. Founded in 1746 by the Moravian Church. Originally a day school, it has since 1794 drawn boarding students from a wide area. The school was chartered under its present name in 1863. — Map (db m5265) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lititz — Lititz
Settled during 1740's, Moravians established here a "land Gemeine," or country congregation in 1756. It was named by Count Zinzendorf after a Bohemian town which sheltered persecuted Moravians in 1456. — Map (db m5317) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lititz — Lititz Boy Scout Cabin — 1927 - 2012

October, 1927, Lititz Boy Scout Troops 2 and 3 opened the doors of the new log cabin which they built representing the early log cabins built by our early American pioneers. Because of their interest in the great outdoors, the scouts received . . . — Map (db m126272) HM

Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lititz — Lititz Caboose Museum

The Lititz Caboose was purchased by the Lititz Springs Park Board Caboose Committee in 2000. This rail car was restored by Gerhart Machinery Company of Lititz and dedicated July 1, 2001. The Caboose Museum is a complimentary companion to the . . . — Map (db m126190) HM

Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lititz — Lititz Moravian Congregation
1749 - 250th Anniversary - 1999 In essentials unity, in non-essentials liberty, in all things love. The Warwick Gemeinhaus was consecrated February 9, 1749. This date serves as the founding date for the Warwick Congregation, which on August . . . — Map (db m5271) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lititz — Lititz Spring Park Memorial Fountain
Lititz Springs Post 1463, Veterans of Foreign Wars and Ladies Auxiliary, proudly dedicate this memorial fountain "to those who made the ultimate sacrifice and to those that were willing." Dedicated July 2, 1994 — Map (db m136389) WM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lititz — Lititz Springs Park Entrance Gates

The first entrance to Lititz Springs Park was a small walking path leading off of Maple Street opposite the old brewery. In 1844 a new visitor entrance to the Park was opened at Broad Street. It was located on the south side of the Lititz . . . — Map (db m126234) HM

Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lititz — Lititz Springs Park Historical Markers

The nine markers placed throughout the Park are both a memorial to "Sketch" Mearig, and also an educational platform of the history of Lititz Springs Park.

Robert "Sketch" Mearig was born in Lititz in 1923. He spent many childhood days . . . — Map (db m126232) HM

Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lititz — Lititz Wall of Remembrance — In recognition of those who built our community
[Left panel:] Count Nicholas Ludwig von Zinzedorf In 1742, Count Nicholas Ludwig von Zinzendorf of Saxony, the leader and organizer of the modern day Moravian Church, preached at the tavern of Jacob Huber, north of Lititz, while . . . — Map (db m136380) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lititz — Moravian Gemeinhaus
Built in 1746 by the Moravians as Church, Parsonage, and School. It stood 125 yards to the north on the elevation on this side of Carter's Run. — Map (db m5266) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lititz — Music Pavilion

On July 4, 1906 a Music Pavilion was dedicated to accommodate Beck's Concert Band, a well respected band in Lititz. An octagonal shaped, gazebo style bandstand with latticed sides, designed by Paul E. Beck, Band Director, was built in the area . . . — Map (db m126236) HM

Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lititz — On This Site in 1861 Julius Sturgis — The oldest commercial pretzel bakery in the United States —
Established the first pretzel bakery in the New World. This tablet dedicated by The National Pretzel Bakers Institute May 1951 Alex V. Tisdale, Pres. — Map (db m90834) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lititz — Paul E. Beck Memorial Band Shell

Dedicated to the memory of Paul E. Beck 1871 - 1934 Lititz Bandmaster and Teacher of Music, Art and Literature

September 2, 1937 . . . — Map (db m126285) HM

Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lititz — Revolutionary War Memorial 1930 Veterans Memorial 1999
On this site are interred the remains of 110 soldiers from General Washington's Continental Army. Wounded at the battles of Brandywine and Germantown, these soldiers were transported to Lititz between December 1777 and August 1778. Hospitalized in . . . — Map (db m5267) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lititz — Round House

The Round House is thought to have originally been built as a grandstand on the grounds of the Warwick Racing Track located northeast of Lititz. It was dismantled and reconstructed on its present site in the early months of 1880.

The Round . . . — Map (db m126235) HM

Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lititz — Springs Head-End

In 1855 the steep bank around the spring head was contoured. Three springs were uncovered flowing from caves to the west. From the bubbling spring, water gracefully flows eastward and is the source of the Lititz Run stream. The clear, limestone . . . — Map (db m126237) HM

Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lititz — The Heritage Center
Dedicated in 1971 Moravian Church Square Established in 1757 In memory of the many men and women of past and present generations who served faithfully in the Moravian Congregation to make our heritage possible. — Map (db m5274) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lititz — The Importance of Conversation

On this site in the 1940s, a young R. Ronald Reedy and his uncle would sit on a bench and watch railroad workers and engineers switch the freight cars bound for Wilbur Chocolate and the nearby lumber yard. And, at certain times throughout the . . . — Map (db m126228) HM

Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lititz — The Lititz Pharmacopoeia
For the use of Medical Department of the "Army of the Federated States of America," was compiled by Physician-General William Brown in Lititz, and published in Philadelphia, in 1778. It was the first American Formulary and a pioneer effort at the . . . — Map (db m5272) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lititz — The Pilgerhaus - 1754 — First House in Lititz
George Klein built a two-story stone house which became the "Pilgerhaus," or Pilgrim's House" to be used as a dwelling for ministers and congregational meetings. In 1760, the congregational store was located in the Pilgerhaus. It remained here . . . — Map (db m136387) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lititz — Veterans Memorial

Dedicated in honor of all those who served honorably in the Armed Forces of the United States of America ☆ ☆ ☆ — Map (db m126193) WM

Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Manheim — Baron Stiegel
The famed glassmaker and ironmaster of colonial days founded Manheim in 1762, and set up his glassworks in 1764. He gave land for the Lutheran Church which still pays his heirs one red rose a year. — Map (db m5321) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Manheim — Heintzelman House
Birthplace of Maj. Gen. Samuel P. Heintzelman, September 30, 1805. A veteran of the Mexican War and the Civil War, he died May 1, 1880, at Washington, D.C., and was buried at Buffalo, N.Y. — Map (db m12457) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Manheim — Manheim Historical Society
Both homes are open to the public during our summer Open House days. Please check our website manheimhistoricalsociety.org for days and hours. Or call (717) 665-7989 for more information or to schedule a tour. Fasig House . . . — Map (db m136375) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Manheim — Manheim Veterans Memorial
In honor of all those who gave their lives, their fortune and their sacred honor in service to our country — past, present and future. — Map (db m136377) WM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Manheim — Memorial to Henry William Stiegel
Glassmaker and ironmaster who was born at Cologne in 1729 and died at Charming Forge in 1785. Picturesque figure of colonial America, his memory is perpetuated by his artistic glassware, by traditions of the Baronial Pomp of his career and by . . . — Map (db m136376) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Manheim — Mount Hope Estate & Grubb Mansion
Mount Hope Estate Has Been Placed on the National Register of Historic Places 1980 — Map (db m54827) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Manheim — Stiegel Glass Manufactory
On this site, from 1763 to 1774, "Baron" Henry William Stiegel made the glass for which he is famous. Erected in 1763, the building was torn down in 1813. — Map (db m5320) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Marietta — A Buried Story — Lancaster-York Heritage Region — Susquehanna River Water Trail —
Today the flood plain before you appears to be untouched and sparsely settled, but from 1845 to 1900, the riverbank between Marietta and Columbia was a beehive of industrial activity. At the center of this industrial complex were eight . . . — Map (db m136368) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Marietta — 2 — Concrete Railroad Piers
With the arrival of the Pennsylvania Railroad, raw materials were delivered to the furnace by rail. The concrete piers were used to elevate the rails so all ore and coal could be dumped between the piers and from there to be transported to the stock . . . — Map (db m136362) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Marietta — 1 — Donegal Place
The homes of Donegal Place were erected as part of the Mussleman/Vesta Furnace complex to provide affordable company-owned housing for employees. This row of tenant housing was identified as Brick Row. Each of the houses consisted of two rooms . . . — Map (db m136316) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Marietta — 7 — Frick Stationary Steam Engine
In 1853, George Frick established a company in Waynesboro, PA to build steam engines. The steam engine, won a gold medal at the Philadelphia World's Fair for best in class. Again in 1880, a Frick Eclipse engine triumphed over 25 other competitors at . . . — Map (db m136361) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Marietta — 4 — Hot-Blast Stove Bases
In the early 1830s the "hot blast" process of using anthracite coal to manufacture iron was introduced. The gases from the furnace were captured and cleaned. The gas was introduced into the vertical stoves. The Stoves were steel cylinders that were . . . — Map (db m136366) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Marietta — Marietta
In 1812, two towns, New Haven and Waterford, were incorporated to form Marietta Borough. It is located at a scenic 90° bend in the Susquehanna River and was formerly known as Anderson's Ferry. French traders had arrived in this area in the late . . . — Map (db m135255) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Marietta — Musselman/Vesta Furnace
The Musselman/Vesta Furnace was built in 1868 by Henry Musselman and H. M. Watts from Marietta. It was the last of eight anthracite-fired iron furnaces built on Susquehanna floodplain between Columbia and Marietta. Located adjacent to canal and rail . . . — Map (db m136313) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Marietta — Musselman/Vesta Iron Furnace Office Building — Circa 1868
Henry Musselman and Henry Watts built the Musselman Furnace in 1868. It was the last of eight anthracite furnaces built on the river floodplain. Later known as the Vesta Furnace, it was remodeled several times. In 1917, E.J. Lavino put it into . . . — Map (db m136315) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Marietta — 3 — Skip Hoist/Oil Shed
The blast furnace was charged with anthracite coal, limestone and iron ore. In order to get the raw materials to the top of the furnace stack, a steam powered device called a "skip hoist" was used. The hoist was an inclined rail that conveyed . . . — Map (db m136363) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Marietta — 6 — Stone Base of the Chimney
The chimney, which was used to exhaust the gases from the stoves, extended 140 feet into the air. At the bottom of each stove was an exhaust pipe that exits into an underground tunnel system that connects to the chimney. The tunnel system (pictured . . . — Map (db m136365) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Marietta — 5 — The Pennsylvania Canal
This section of the canal was built between 1830-1833. The canal was used to transport coal, Mules or horses pulled canal boats. The anthracite coal from northeast Pennsylvania was conveyed to the iron furnaces through the canal network, which also . . . — Map (db m136367) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Marietta — Those Who Served From Marietta in World War II
Those who served from Marietta in World War II [Names listed]Map (db m136372) WM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Marietta — War Memorial Park — Marietta, PA
Dedicated in Honor of those from the Marietta area who served God and Country during World War II and in loving memory of these twelve men who made the ultimate sacrifice. May we, whose Destiny it is to live on, dedicate our lives to the . . . — Map (db m136371) WM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Marietta — 8 — Watts Railroad Station
This station located at Furnace Road and Donegal Place was built in 1871 by the Pennsylvania Railroad to their specifications for rural/freight stations. It was smaller than the Marietta Upper Station (Perry Street), that was built in 1869. It had . . . — Map (db m136314) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Marietta — Women in Marietta — Civil War Trails
Marietta women demonstrated their patriotism during the Civil War by forming organizations such as The Ladies Patriotic Circle and The Ladies Social Knitting Society of Marietta. The Lancaster Express reported on June 14, 1862, that, “the . . . — Map (db m135253) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Maytown — Honor Roll
Proudly we pay tribute to the men and women of East Donegal Township who answered the call to colors in World War II. List of Names — Map (db m5725) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Maytown — In honor of those who served in the World War
1917 1918 From the Maytown District of East Donegal Township Barnhart, William H. • Brandt, Harry • Brandt, Mervin W. • Clepper, Albert B. • Davis, Earl C. • Davis, James • Demmy, Oliver H. • Derr, Albert B. • Eshleman, Robert H. • Farmer, . . . — Map (db m5730) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Maytown — In honor of those who served our country in Korea & Vietnam
In honor of those who served our country in Korea June 25, 1950 Jan 31, 1955 In Vietnam Dec. 22, 1961 May 7, 1975 — Map (db m5723) WM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Maytown — Simon Cameron
Noted leader in state and national politics, statesman, diplomat, member of Lincoln's cabinet, U.S. Senator. Was born, 1799, in a log house that stood on this site. Died in 1889 at Donegal Springs. — Map (db m5721) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Millersville — Millersville University
Founder 1855 as the Lancaster County Normal School, it was named the first Pennsylvania State Normal School, 1859. Fully Commonwealth-owned after 1917, Millersville became a State Teachers College in 1928, and a State College for liberal arts and . . . — Map (db m5326) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Millway — Keller's Mill Bridge — The Covered Bridges of Lancaster County, PA

A New Home for the White Bridge

White is an unusual color for covered bridges in Lancaster County. In fact, this bridge is the only one of the county's covered bridges that is not painted red.

This same bridge once spanned . . . — Map (db m126296) HM

Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Mount Joy — Mountjoy Memorial
This statue is a memorial to the ship "Mountjoy" that saved starving Scot-Irish of Londonderry, Northern Ireland, in 1689. Twenty years later, these same people came to this area bringing their beloved name with them. Mountjoy Township was named . . . — Map (db m136374) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Mount Joy — Old Standby Park
In 1879, a facility on this property, which was locally known as "Old Standby", manufactured gas and distributed it to the local community for lighting, heating, and industrial purposes. The facility earned the nickname "Old Standby" for its . . . — Map (db m136373) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Mount. Joy — Early Telegraph
First commercial telegraph line in the U.S. ran along this railroad right-of-way. Completed from Lancaster to Harrisburg, 1845. The first message, "Why don't you write, you rascals?", was received, Jan. 8, 1846. — Map (db m5719) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Mt. Joy — Donegal Presbyterian Church
Gateway Panel 1 Founded prior to 1721-Gateway erected by the Donegal Society in honor of it's World War Veterans.

Gateway Panel 2 In memory of the Sons of the Donegal Society who gave their lives in the World War 1914-1918 . . . — Map (db m84439) WM

Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Mt. Joy — 199 — Donegal Presbyterian Church — American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site
Founded prior to 1721 by settlers from the north of Ireland First Church built of logs Present building erected in 1740 patent granted by John Thomas and Richard Penn June 4, 1740. Presbytery of Donegal organized in this church October 11, . . . — Map (db m122388) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Mt. Joy — The Witness Tree — Donegal Presbyterian Church
On this sacred spot for 260 years stood the majestic white oak tree known as the Witness Tree. Despite preservation efforts, the tree succumbed to old age and was solemnly removed on June 3, 1991. Its memory symbolizes the patriotism and love of . . . — Map (db m84446) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Mt. Joy — The Witness Tree Monument — Donegal Presbyterian Church
Beneath this Witness Tree a new born patriotism found notable expression

On a Sunday morning in September 1777 an express rider came to tell the congregation of Donegal Church that the British army under Lord Howe had left New York to invade . . . — Map (db m84483) HM

Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Narvon — Bangor Episcopal Church
Bangor Episcopal Church Founded 1722 has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior [Additional plaque below:] Historic Preservation Trust Site . . . — Map (db m136650) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Narvon — The Caernarvon Presbyterian Church
The Caernarvon Presbyterian Church has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior [Additional plaque below:] Historic Preservation Trust Site . . . — Map (db m136652) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Narvon — The Edward Davies House
The Edward Davies House has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior [Additional plaque:] Historic Preservation Trust Site Lancaster County 123 . . . — Map (db m136651) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Paradise — Leaman Place Bridge (1893) — Pequea #4
Prior to the construction of the Pennsylvania Railroad only Henry Leaman's small farmhouse stood near here. In 1835, Mr. Leaman built a hotel and soon after a railroad station was established. A small village gradually sprung up and by the 1880s . . . — Map (db m122598) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Peach Bottom — Robert Fulton Birthplace
The inventor and painter was born here Nov. 14, 1765. Famous for his steamboat "Clermont", he also invented canal machinery, a "diving boat", and torpedoes. — Map (db m127911) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Pequea — Big Cut, Big Fill — The Atglen & Susquehanna in Providence Township
No other section of the eastern A&S more fully demonstrated the Pennsylvania Railroad's (PRR) commitment to re-shape the landscape for an optimum freight road than its seven miles through Providence Township. The gentle compound curve (on paper) . . . — Map (db m122699) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Pequea — Servicing a Freight Road — The Atglen & Susquehanna in Martic Township
Finding a strategic location for servicing the freight route was a challenge for the PRR as the A&S headed west over the deep valley of Pequea Creek (upper left image) toward the Susquehanna River. Facilities were created by carving a wider . . . — Map (db m122695) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Quarryville — A Job on the A & S — The Atglen & Susquehanna in Eden Township
Unlike routes that served passengers and local freight customers, the A&S required relatively few staffed facilities. Westward from Atglen, the A&S was desolate, compared to the main line's string of frequent village stops. Constructed after the . . . — Map (db m122698) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Quarryville — A Stream for Steam — The Atglen & Susquehanna in Bart Township
Of all the resources required for operation of the A&S, none was more deceptively vital than water. From its inception under steam locomotion, the A&S was quietly sustained by the vast water resources it continually crossed. Previous droughts and . . . — Map (db m122696) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Quarryville — Drumore Township Illustrious Americans
This marker perpetuates the memories of four illustrious Americans who were identified with this part of Drumore Township. Erected by The Historical Commission of Pennsylvania and the Lancaster County Historical Society. . . . — Map (db m122638) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Reamstown — East Cocalico Township Korean War Memorial
To Those Who Served During The Korean Conflict June 25, 1950 - January 31, 1955 Jay T. Bare [Killed in Action] [Honor Roll of Names] Memorial Erected May 1999 — Map (db m39280) WM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Reamstown — East Cocalico Township Vietnam War Memorial
To Those Who Served During the Vietnam Conflict December 22, 1961 - May 7, 1975 John Edwards [KIA] James E. Hunsicker [MIA] Randy L. Johnston [KIA] Dervin J. Keisling [KIA] Ronald E. Meckley [KIA] Barry L. Moyer [KIA] James H. . . . — Map (db m39281) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Reamstown — East Cocalico Township World War II Memorial
In everlasting tribute to the honor and glory achieved by the brave men and women of East Cocalico Township who served their country in World War II 1941-1945 [Following men died in service] Harry Bates Benjamin Firestone . . . — Map (db m39283) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Reamstown — Memorial Park of Reamstown
Honoring all East Cocalico Township veterans who proudly served their country during times of emergency — Map (db m39284) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Reamstown — Pioneer Settler / Founder of Reamstown
Pioneer Settler Johann Eberhard Ream, born in Leimen, Germany on October 6, 1687 came to America with his family in 1717. They were the first white people in this area, having arrived here in 1723 or 4. He received two grants of land, 389 . . . — Map (db m39274) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Reamstown — Reamstown — 1760 - 2010
Settled around 1724 by Everhard Ream and founded as a town by his son Tobias Ream in 1760, originally called Zoar. In 1777, during the Revolutionary War, a field hospital was set up here for wounded soldiers from the Battle of Brandwine, some of . . . — Map (db m39273) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Reamstown — The American Indian and the American Soldier
This grinding bowl from East Cocalico is placed to commemorate its maker, The American Indian and the boulder, three other local figures, who lived abreast of the loftier traditions of their time, light and race: The Soldier of . . . — Map (db m22440) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Ronks — History of Railroad Pump Cars
Did you know that this style of pump car dates back to approximately 1880? The relatively low weight allowed a crew of four to six people to easily lift it on or off tracks to clear the way for approaching trains. The cars were fitted with a brake . . . — Map (db m136511) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Ronks — Leacock Presbyterian Church
Leacock Presbyterian Church First services held in log church 1724 Recognized by Synod 1741 — Map (db m67151) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Ronks — Lehigh Valley No. 40 — 1951
The RDC: In 1949, the Budd Company began development of a new lightweight, self-propelled diesel rail car for use in local and branchline passenger service at the request of the New York, Susquehanna and Western Railroad. The resulting . . . — Map (db m19963) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Ronks — Monongahela Railway No. 67 — 1949
The Monongahela: The Monongahela Railroad, incorporated on December 31, 1900, was a jointly owned venture by the Pennsylvania and Pittsburg and Lake Erie railroads to tap the rich coal fields south of Pittsburgh. The Monongahela funneled coal . . . — Map (db m19964) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Ronks — Original Head Race & Water Turbine
This area, now retired from mill operation, was the end of the "head race" or canal originally used to divert water from the Pequea Creek to run an "undershot" water wheel, inside the Mill in 1738. [Captions:] At Mill, water . . . — Map (db m136512) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Ronks — Pennsylvania Railroad No. 3750 — 1920
The Success of the K4s Locomotive: Perpetually searching for more powerful and efficient locomotives, the Pennsylvania Railroad introduced its new standard passenger power in 1914. The K4s Pacific blended the best attributes of other successful . . . — Map (db m19955) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Ronks — Pennsylvania Railroad No. 460 — 1914
The "E6" Class: The introduction of steel passenger trains on the Pennsylvania at the turn of the twentieth century created a need for a more powerful passenger locomotive. While most roads had begun building larger Pacific (4-6-2) type . . . — Map (db m19913) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Ronks — Pennsylvania Railroad No. 6755 — 1930
The "Mountain" Class: The "Mountain" type of locomotive (4-8-2) first appeared on the Chesapeake & Ohio Railroad in 1911. These locomotives excelled at hauling heavy freight trains at high speeds. The Pennsylvania Railroad adopted the M1 design . . . — Map (db m19916) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Ronks — Pennsylvania Railroad No. 7688 — 1915
A Standard Freight Locomotive: With more than 3000 Consolidations on the roster by 1907, the 2-8-0 was clearly the Pennsylvania's locomotive of choice for freight service. Despite the success of current designs, the railroad continuously strove . . . — Map (db m19957) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Ronks — Pittsburgh and Lake Erie No. 508 — 1950
The Little Giant: The Pittsburgh and Lake Erie Railroad, established in 1875, connected the steel centers of Conellsville, Pittsburgh, and Youngstown, Ohio. Only 120 miles long, the P&LE served most of the major industries in the region, . . . — Map (db m19960) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Ronks — Reading Observation No. 1 — 1937
Builder: Budd Company, Red Lion, PA Build Date: 1937 Retirement Date: 1982 Number Built: 2 Weight: 97,000 lbs. Length: 85 ft. PHMC Cat No. RR78.52 The Crusader: As the nation pulled itself out of the Great Depression, the Reading Company . . . — Map (db m19967) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Ronks — Strasburg Rail Road
Established in 1832 in response to the Philadelphia and Columbia Railroad's bypass of Strasburg, it remains the oldest American railroad operating under its original charter. Local railroad enthusiasts saved it from abandonment in 1958 and developed . . . — Map (db m55518) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Rothsville — Cpl Gerald L. Habecker

In memory of Cpl Gerald L. Habecker who died Jan. 21, 1969 in unselfish service to his country Dedicated Aug. 13, 1972 — Map (db m126292) WM

Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Strasburg — 33 East Main Street
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior [Center plaque:] This property recognized by Historic Preservation Trust of . . . — Map (db m136510) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Strasburg — 37 East Main Street
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior [Additional plaque below:] Strasburg, Pennsylvania circa 1874 37 E. . . . — Map (db m136509) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Washington Boro — Great Minqua Path
This was the chief trail used by the Minqua (Susquehannock) Indians to carry great wealth in beaver skins to the white settlements on the Delaware during the mid-seventeenth century. The Swedes, Dutch and English warred for the control of this trade. — Map (db m5765) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Washington Boro — Martin Chartier
- Died 1718 - Noted indian trader and interpreter in early Pennsylvania and Maryland Frenchman from Canada who resided at Fort St. Louis of the Sieur de la Salle in present Illinois, 1684-1690 A leader thence of the Shawnee Indians . . . — Map (db m5763) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Washington Boro — Washington Boro Archaeological Sites
This area contains one of the highest concentrations of archaeological sites in Pennsylvania. The sites range from small camps to large villages and cover 11,000 years of Native American culture. the largest villages were built by the Susquehannocks . . . — Map (db m5764) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Willow Street — Birthplace of the Pennsylvania Rifle
Martin Meylin, 1670–1749, gunsmith of Switzerland settled here in the Pequea Valley in 1710 and made in this gun shop the earliest known Pennsylvania or so called Kentucky Rifle. He was the first of a group of Lancaster County rifle . . . — Map (db m5354) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Willow Street — Blacksmith Shop
This building exemplifies the blacksmith shops that existed in all early communities. These shops were always an important part of local agricultural and community development. This shop is built in the exact dimensions of what is known as the . . . — Map (db m67149) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Willow Street — Boehm's Chapel
Built 1791, this "Temple of Limestone" is the oldest existing structure designed for Methodist use in Pennsylvania, and one of the oldest in the U.S. Erected on land formerly owned by Bishop Martin Boehm, co-founder of the United Brethren in Christ, . . . — Map (db m5114) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Willow Street — Founded 1791 Boehms Chapel
Boehm's Chapel is the fourth oldest existing structure built for Methodist worship in America. It was erected on land donated by the Rev. Martin Boehm, an itinerant preacher and co-founder with the Rev. Phillip W. Otterbein of the United Brethren in . . . — Map (db m5115) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Willow Street — Heine Weber Smokehouse
This smokehouse was removed from the site of the "Heine" Weber homestead in the historic Weaverland Valley. The house and barn on the Weber homestead were built in the early 1760s, and this building appears to be of the same period. The roof . . . — Map (db m67250) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Willow Street — Herr House
Three quarters of a mile south on the side road is the stone house built in 1719 by Christian Herr, son of Hans Herr, founder, in 1710, of the first Mennonite community in this area. It is the oldest building this far west in Pennsylvania. — Map (db m5234) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Willow Street — Martin Meylin’s Gunshop
Old gunshop, built in 1719, is located about one mile northeast. Here, before 1745 the earliest known Pennsylvania Rifle, misnamed Kentucky Rifle, was made. building is marked with a tablet. — Map (db m5116) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Willow Street — Millstones
These millstones stand in silent testimony to the importance of milling in Lancaster County. The first mill was built only a few years after the Mennonites arrived in 1710. Vital to agriculture, the mills increased in number to over 200 by 1839. . . . — Map (db m67150) HM

302 markers matched your search criteria. Markers 201 through 302 were listed. Previous 200
Paid Advertisement