Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Lawrence County Pennsylvania Historical Markers

 
Harbor Creek Marker image, Touch for more information
By Mike Wintermantel, December 30, 2011
Harbor Creek Marker
Pennsylvania (Lawrence County), Edinburg — Harbor Creek
Northern terminus, Beaver Division of Pennsylvania Canal system, completed to this point, 1834. Important shipping point before completing "Cross-Cut Canal" to Ohio, 1838, and Erie Extension to Greenville, 1840. — Map (db m51143) HM
Pennsylvania (Lawrence County), Edinburg — Ira D. Sankey
Famous singing evangelist, fellow-worker with Dwight L. Moody in Europe and in America, was born August 28, 1840, at Edinburg, in a house since removed. He died in Brooklyn, New York, on August 13, 1908. — Map (db m40217) HM
Pennsylvania (Lawrence County), Edinburg — Kuskuskies Towns
Of this group of towns, the last one occupied by the Indians stood near here in 1785, when Gen. Wm. Irvine toured the Donation Lands just before their division into tracts to Revolutionary soldiers. — Map (db m40216) HM
Pennsylvania (Lawrence County), Ellwood City — Helling Stadium
Named in honor of Dr. H.E. Helling, who was a member of the Ellwood City school board for 31 years, 1926-1957. Served community as a physician for over 60 years. — Map (db m69269)
Pennsylvania (Lawrence County), Ellwood City — Seamless Tube Industry
A block away was the plant in which Ralph C. Stiefel, the Swiss-born engineer, invented the rotary piercing process for making steel tubing in 1895. He helped found Ellwood Weldless Tube Company, which became a nucleus for the National Tube Division . . . — Map (db m40219) HM
Pennsylvania (Lawrence County), Enon Valley — Enon Valley
Valley of Many Waters. First settled by Samuel Harnit in 1800. Relocated from Old Enon which was settled by Enoch Marvin. P.FT. W.&C. Railroad completed in 1851 created station. Roundhouse repair shops. Town once had three hotels and I.O.O.F. Hall. — Map (db m72186) HM
Pennsylvania (Lawrence County), Moravia — Friedensstadt
Marker #1 Founded 1770 by Christian Delaware Indians brought from upper Allegheny by the Reverend David Zeisberger. Settling on the eastern river-bank on May 3, they moved to the west side about three months later.

Marker #2 . . . — Map (db m40214) HM

Pennsylvania (Lawrence County), Moravia — Friedensstadt
This stone marks the site of the former Moravian Indian village of Languntoutenunk, or Friedensstadt, or city of Peace. Settled by the Moravian Indians in the spring of 1770. The majority of the members of this Mission had formerly belonged to the . . . — Map (db m49396) HM
Pennsylvania (Lawrence County), New Castle — "Squaw Campaign"
500 unruly militia, under command of Gen. Edward Hand, left Pittsburgh to attack British at present Cleveland, February 1778. At an Indian town in the river-fork below here, they killed a man and an old woman; then returned home. — Map (db m72992) HM
Pennsylvania (Lawrence County), New Castle — C. Frederick Post
Sent by Provincial officials to draw Indian friendship away from the French, the Moravian missionary held councils at Kuskuskies Towns, August to November, 1758. His work, and the threat of General Forbes' army, forced the French to leave . . . — Map (db m52131) HM
Pennsylvania (Lawrence County), New Castle — Kuskuskies Towns
Important group of Indian towns on and near site of present New Castle. First inhabited by Senecas; but after 1756 settled chiefly by Delawares from eastern Pennsylvania. Abandoned during Revolutionary War. — Map (db m40215) HM
Pennsylvania (Lawrence County), New Castle — Lawrence County
Formed March 20, 1849 from Beaver and Mercer counties. Its name honors naval hero Captain James Lawrence. County seat, New Castle was laid out in 1802. Between 1890 and 1920 it was one of America's fastest growing cities and center of the tin-plate . . . — Map (db m40218) HM
Pennsylvania (Lawrence County), New Castle — Warner Brothers' First Theater
An early milestone for the Warners' film empire was the operation of Harry, Sam, & Albert Warner of a theater here, 1906-07. It seated 99 persons, who could view three movies for a nickel. Sixteen years later, Warner Bros. Pictures was established. — Map (db m74888) HM
Pennsylvania (Lawrence County), New Wilmington — East Diamond
These adjacent four corners form the East Diamond. The East and West Diamonds are commonly referred to as the Town Square. The rare Double Diamond design is part of the original 1824 drawing of New Wilmington by James Waugh. The Diamonds were . . . — Map (db m105647) HM
Pennsylvania (Lawrence County), New Wilmington — West Diamond
These adjacent four corners form the West Diamond. The East and West Diamonds are commonly referred to as the Town Square. The rare Double Diamond design is part of the original 1824 drawing of New Wilmington by James Waugh. The Diamonds were . . . — Map (db m105649) HM
Pennsylvania (Lawrence County), New Wilmington — Westminster College
Founded by the Associate, now United Presbyterian, Church. Chartered 1852. One of first two colleges in Pennsylvania to grant degrees to women, and the first to grant them the A. B. degree, in 1857. — Map (db m51140) HM
Pennsylvania (Lawrence County), Volant — Neshannock Potato
The once widely-known and choice variety originated just west of here, on a farm occupied by John Gilkey, 1798-1826. A brother, James, was fellow-worker. Their potato was also called Mercer or Gilkey. — Map (db m51138) HM
Pennsylvania (Lawrence County), Wampum — On August 4, 2000
On August 4, 2000, a train carrying Texas Governor George W. Bush, his running mate Dick Cheney, U.S. Senator Rick Santorum, and future Congresswoman Melissa Hart stopped here in Wampum to greet approximately 500 people who had gathered by the . . . — Map (db m72184) HM

18 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement