Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Mercer County Pennsylvania Historical Markers

 
Carlton Bridge Marker image, Touch for more information
By Mike Wintermantel, July 16, 2017
Carlton Bridge Marker
Pennsylvania (Mercer County), Carlton — Carlton Bridge
The Carlton Bridge was the last remaining multi span truss bridge in Pennsylvania built by the Columbia Bridge Works of Dayton, OH, a company known for its innovation and decorative style. The bridge consisted of two 136 foot long Pratt type through . . . — Map (db m105645) HM
Pennsylvania (Mercer County), Charleston — Clay Furnace
First successful use of raw bituminous coal in place of charcoal, 1846; and of unmixed Lake Superior iron ore in 1856. Built 1845 by Vincent and Himrod; named for Henry Clay. Abandoned in 1861. The site is 2 miles away. — Map (db m41590) HM
Pennsylvania (Mercer County), Clark — Albert Bushnell Hart
Distinguished scholar and historian, Harvard graduate and member of its faculty for sixty years, was born nearby, July 1, 1854, and lived here six years. He died July 16, 1943, at Cambridge, Massachusetts. — Map (db m41588) HM
Pennsylvania (Mercer County), Greenville — Bigler Graves
Jacob and Susan Bigler, parents of two governors, are buried here. Their son William was Governor of Pennsylvania, 1852-55; and their son John, Governor of California, 1852-56. — Map (db m41589) HM
Pennsylvania (Mercer County), Greenville — Camp Reynolds
Site of a 3300-acre U.S. Army facility, 1942-45. Originally the Shenango Personnel Replacement Depot; renamed 1943. During World War II about a million troops passed through here; most were headed for Europe. A peak of 75,000 were housed here at one . . . — Map (db m72982) HM
Pennsylvania (Mercer County), Greenville — First Sunday School in Mercer County
Organized in 1817 by Samuel Webster Teacher of Log School — Map (db m41591) HM
Pennsylvania (Mercer County), Grove City — Cunningham Memorial Park
In 1798, on a nearby site, the first gristmill in this area was built by Valentine and Margaret Cunningham. Later another gristmill was established here. Soon a community was established. The town, first known as Pine Grove, was incorporated as the . . . — Map (db m56836) HM
Pennsylvania (Mercer County), Jamestown — Jamestown Community Veterans Memorial
Jamestown Community Veterans Memorial To all those of our community who have served our nation in peace and war. Freedom is not free. All gave some, some gave all. May God bless them all. — Map (db m107692) WM
Pennsylvania (Mercer County), Leesburg — Johnston Tavern
Kept by Arthur Johnston; licensed in 1827. Present building erected in 1831. Served travelers on the Pittsburgh-Mercer road, and stood conveniently near Springfield Furnace, in operation after 1837. — Map (db m41596) HM
Pennsylvania (Mercer County), Maysville — Pennsylvania
Founded 1681 by William Penn as a Quaker Commonwealth. Birthplace of THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE and THE CONSTITUTION OF THE UNITED STATES. — Map (db m41599) HM
Pennsylvania (Mercer County), Mercer — General Hugh Mercer
In memory of General Hugh Mercer. Born in Scotland, Colonel on General Forbes Expedition against Fort Duquesne 1758, Commander at Fort Pitt 1759, Colonel 3rd Virginia Regiment 1776, Brigadier General Continental Army 1776, killed in the Battle . . . — Map (db m41593) HM
Pennsylvania (Mercer County), Mercer — Mercer County
Formed March 12, 1800 from Allegheny County. The United States census reported 3228 residents in 1800. Named for General Hugh Mercer, Revolutionary hero killed at Battle of Princeton, 1777. Early iron and coal center. Mercer, the county seat, was . . . — Map (db m41598) HM
Pennsylvania (Mercer County), Mercer — The Mercer Soldiers Orphans School
In memory of The Mercer Soldiers Orphans School Mercer, Pennsylvania Opened in 1868 Closed in 1889 Maintained by the State of Pennsylvania for the purpose of providing a home and education for the children of her soldiers and sailors who . . . — Map (db m41604) HM
Pennsylvania (Mercer County), Pymatuning Township — Kidd's Mill Covered Bridge
Built in 1868, spanning the Shenango River. The only remaining bridge in Pennsylvania with an all-wooden truss design patented by Robert Smith of Tippecanoe City, Ohio. The last historic covered bridge in Mercer County, extending 120 feet in length . . . — Map (db m22619) HM
Pennsylvania (Mercer County), Sandy Lake — Maurice K. Goddard 1912-1995
Serving under five governors from 1955-1979 in a remarkable career as Secretary of the Department of Forests and Waters and the Department of Environmental Resources, "Doc" Goddard expanded the state park system, led efforts to professionalize state . . . — Map (db m67116) HM
Pennsylvania (Mercer County), Sharpsville — Erie Extension Canal
Route of travel and trade, Pittsburgh to Great Lakes, 1840-1871. Important to the western Pennsylvania iron industry before the rise of the railroads. The only remaining canal lock still stands in Sharpsville. — Map (db m50503) HM
Pennsylvania (Mercer County), Sharpsville — Erie Extension Canal
Route of travel and trade, Pittsburgh to Great Lakes, 1840-1871. Important to the western Pennsylvania iron industry before the rise of the railroads. Lock #10, a guard lock, represents the only remaining canal lock. — Map (db m50504) HM
Pennsylvania (Mercer County), Sharpsville — Pennsylvania
Founded 1681 by William Penn as a Quaker Commonwealth. Birthplace of THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE and THE CONSTITUTION OF THE UNITED STATES. — Map (db m41603) HM
Pennsylvania (Mercer County), Sheakleyville — James Sheakley
Fourth Territorial Governor of Alaska, 1893-1897, James Sheakley (1829-1917), was born in Sheakleyville, which was named for his grandfather. Appointed by President Cleveland, he also served as United States Commissioner of Schools for Alaska, . . . — Map (db m41595) HM
Pennsylvania (Mercer County), Stoneboro — "Freedom Road"
In search of freedom, men and women brought from the South by the "Underground Railroad" settled near here about 1825 and later. After 1850, most of them went on to Canada. Their cemetery, still in use, lies a short distance above the road. — Map (db m41592) HM

20 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement