Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Union County Pennsylvania Historical Markers

 
Wide view of the Bucknell University Marker image, Touch for more information
By Paul Crumlish, June 5, 2011
Wide view of the Bucknell University Marker
Pennsylvania (Union County), Lewisburg — Bucknell University
Organized in 1846 as the University at Lewisburg by the Baptist Church. Named Bucknell University in 1886, honoring William Bucknell, donor and trustee. Degrees first conferred upon women students in 1885. — Map (db m43488) HM
Pennsylvania (Union County), Lewisburg — Buffalo Church
Organized by Presbyterian pioneers, 1773; broken up by Indian raids. Resumed with first regular pastor 1787. Log church of about 1774 replaced by stone in 1816, by brick in 1846. It stands a mile to the north. — Map (db m84437) HM
Pennsylvania (Union County), Lewisburg — 271 — Buffalo ChurchAmerican Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site
Organized by Presbyterian pioneers, 1773; broken up by Indian raids. Resumed with first regular pastor, 1787. Log church of about 1775 replaced by stone in 1816 and by brick in 1846. — Map (db m122485) HM
Pennsylvania (Union County), Lewisburg — Buffalo Presbyterian Church
Organized 1773 First building erected 1775 Second building erected 1816 Present building erected 1846 Pastors 1773-1787 - Supplies 1787-1801 - Rev. Hugh Morrison 1801-1805 - Supplies 1805-1835 - Rev Chas. Hood 1835-1884 - Rev. Isaac Grier . . . — Map (db m84440) HM
Pennsylvania (Union County), Lewisburg — Catholic Chapel

Built at Second and St. John Streets in 1790 by Town Proprietor Mathias Ellenckhuysen, his wife, Clara and Rev. John B. C. Helbron, O.F.M. Cap., Pastor of Holy Trinity Church, Philadelphia and attended by Major Anthony Selin, founder of . . . — Map (db m91231) HM

Pennsylvania (Union County), Lewisburg — Civil War Memorial

Erected by Union County to the memory of her soldiery 1861 to 1865 ————— The Republic called They answered with their blood . . . — Map (db m127543) WM

Pennsylvania (Union County), Lewisburg — Col. John Kelly
Outstanding Indian fighter of Buffalo Valley. Settled here about 1769; built log house to the north, now weatherboarded in 1775. Col Kelly served with distinction at the battles of Trenton and Princeton. He died in 1837. Buried at Lewisburg. — Map (db m84442) HM
Pennsylvania (Union County), Lewisburg — Daniel F. GreenBorn Oct. 9, 1870 • Died Aug. 5, 1954

This tablet is in memory of the donor of this park

Daniel F. Green

Citizen, Banker, Philanthropist

His career and love of children is an inspiration for all

Dedicated June 14, 1955 — Map (db m91229) HM

Pennsylvania (Union County), Lewisburg — Eli Slifer

Home, 1861-1888, of Civil War Secretary of the Commonwealth, who as assistant to Governor Andrew Curtin had leading role in mobilizing State's men and resources for war. Elected State Assemblyman, State Treasurer. Born 1818, died 1888. House is . . . — Map (db m43352) HM

Pennsylvania (Union County), Lewisburg — General Tasker H. Bliss
Chief of Staff of the U.S. Army during the first World War and military counselor to President Wilson at the Versailles Peace Conference, was born in this house on December 31, 1853. — Map (db m43385) HM
Pennsylvania (Union County), Lewisburg — Gordon A. Hufnagle Park

Dedicated to the memory of Gordon Hufnagle, Public Safety Director, who lost his life while attempting the rescue of Lewisburg citizens on June 22, 1972. — Map (db m127562) HM

Pennsylvania (Union County), Lewisburg — History of the Lewisburg Cemetery Office

The small, recently preserved, former cemetery office is believed to have been part of the sexton's house that was not in condition to be moved when the house was moved across the street and became part of Bucknell University property.

The . . . — Map (db m127605) HM

Pennsylvania (Union County), Lewisburg — In Honor of Ludwig Derr
First settler on the site of Lewisburg Founder of Derrstown, 1785 which was incorporated into the Borough of Lewisburg, 1812. Our first public spirited citizen Derr gave land to the Presbyterian, Lutheran and German Reformed Churches. His only . . . — Map (db m124005) HM
Pennsylvania (Union County), Lewisburg — Lewisburg Cross-Cut Canal
Completed in 1833 as a part of Pennsylvania Canal. It was 5/8 mile long and had 3 lift locks. A dam provided slack water, enabling boats to cross the river, thus creating a great trade center here. — Map (db m43357) HM
Pennsylvania (Union County), Lewisburg — Lewisburg Witness Tree

This ancient oak is today the only surviving witness tree among those that marked the survey of February 28 1769 which set apart the tract on which Lewisburg is situated and which was made for the proprietaries by William . . . — Map (db m127608) HM

Pennsylvania (Union County), Lewisburg — Ludwig Derr
Founder of Lewisburg, 1785. Lived here in a log house incorporated in the present structure. Nearby, he operated a trading post and a grist and saw mill. Derr died in Nov. 1785. — Map (db m43450) HM
Pennsylvania (Union County), Lewisburg — Moore Avenue
. . . — Map (db m127536) HM
Pennsylvania (Union County), Lewisburg — Purple Heart MemorialCombat Wounded Veterans

Dedicated to all men and women wounded in all our wars

My stone is red for the blood they shed. The medal I bear is my country’s way to show they care. If I could be seen by all mankind maybe peace will come in my . . . — Map (db m127561) WM

Pennsylvania (Union County), Lewisburg — Reading Railroad Freight StationLewisburg Borough

Listed in the National Register of Historic Places

1992 —————————————— Lewisburg Historic District Listed in the National Register of . . . — Map (db m127564) HM

Pennsylvania (Union County), Lewisburg — Rev. George Pomeroy Watrous

Born in Chester, Connecticut, January 10, 1825. Died at Jackson Summit Pa, June 26, 1894. ————•———— Graduated from Rochester University 1852, Theological Seminary 1854. Same year . . . — Map (db m127637) HM

Pennsylvania (Union County), Lewisburg — Robert Lowry
The famed hymn-writer lived in this house, 1869-75. Here, some of his best known hymns were written. His music was sung in many foreign lands. One of his works is, "Shall We Gather at the River." Lowry died in 1899. — Map (db m43487) HM
Pennsylvania (Union County), Lewisburg — Samuel Maclay
Member of Congress, 1794-97. U.S.Senator, 1802-09. Also member of the General Assembly, 1787-91; 1797-1802. Resident of Buffalo Valley after 1770 and died here in 1811. Buried in the nearby church cemetery. — Map (db m84435) HM
Pennsylvania (Union County), Lewisburg — Site of The College Inn

This marks the site of The College Inn "On The Quadrangle" 1908 - 1973 — Map (db m127535) HM

Pennsylvania (Union County), Lewisburg — St. Anthony Street Bridge
One of the earliest metal-truss bridges in the area was built on this site in 1889. It was a single-span pin-connected Pratt through truss erected by the Champion Bridge Company of Wilmington, Ohio, one of the nation's oldest such firms. The 150.5 . . . — Map (db m124004) HM
Pennsylvania (Union County), Lewisburg — Underground Railroad
This old stable was a station on the Underground Railroad. Here fugitive slaves were hidden, fed, and aided in reaching the next station on their journey. — Map (db m43447) HM
Pennsylvania (Union County), Lewisburg — Union County
Formed March 22, 1813 out of Northumberland County. Its name honors the Federal Union. The county seat was first Mifflinburg, and after 1815 it was New Berlin. Lewisburg, county seat since 1855, was incorporated 1822 and is home of Bucknell . . . — Map (db m43445) HM
Pennsylvania (Union County), Lewisburg — Wendle Community Mausoleum

In c.1912 the Wendle Family Mausoleum at this location was constructed by H.M. Wendle, a stone mason, as a final resting place for family. Eventually the structure deteriorated beyond repair. In 2007, with assistance from Herbert and Gale . . . — Map (db m127611) HM

Pennsylvania (Union County), Lewisburg — William Cameron

Through the generosity of Squire Wm. Cameron, he presented to the Borough of Lewisburg $10,000 for the purchase of a steam powered fire engine made by the Silsby Co. In honor of this generous gift, the present fire company, at that time, voted . . . — Map (db m127640) HM

Pennsylvania (Union County), Mifflinburg — Early Axes

Broad Axe for hewing a square beam [Drawing showing difference with an] Axe for felling and chopping a tree

Three Major Broad Axe Types · American - Broad Axe with Poll · English - Polless Broad Axe · German - . . . — Map (db m127473) HM

Pennsylvania (Union County), Mifflinburg — Evangelical Church
The first church built by "Albright's People," later the Evangelical Association, was erected in New Berlin in 1816. It was the first Evangelical Church in the United States. The site is marked by a monument. — Map (db m84422) HM
Pennsylvania (Union County), Mifflinburg — Exterior Clues to Identify a Town Log House

Mifflinburg has many log-constructed houses. Most are buried in renovations and extensions, clad with wood or even vinyl siding. Only a discerning eye can perhaps recognize these original log structures. Some of the distinguishing features . . . — Map (db m127481) HM

Pennsylvania (Union County), Mifflinburg — First Lutheran Church War Memorial

In Memory of Lester R. Ruhl, W W I, and dedicated to the men and women of First Lutheran Church who served in all wars of the USA. — Map (db m127469) WM

Pennsylvania (Union County), Mifflinburg — Fought's Mill
The nearby mill is on the site of the earlier mill built in 1771. The original Fought's Mill was a settler's refuge against Indians in Revolutionary days. Here was held Nov. 3, 1776, Buffalo Valley's first election under the Constitution of 1775. — Map (db m84424) HM
Pennsylvania (Union County), Mifflinburg — Hints to Dating a Pre-1850 Building

Historical records... a) land deeds b) tax assessment records c) church records d) Sandborn fire maps e) local atlas/old maps f) census records

Types of Wood in Logs... oak, white pine and hemlock— yellow pine . . . — Map (db m127475) HM

Pennsylvania (Union County), Mifflinburg — John Jacob LeRoy
John Jacob LeRoy was killed by the Indians near this spot during the time of the Penns Creek Massacre, October 18, 1755. This was the first act of hostility by the Indians of this Province following the defeat of General Edward Braddock, July 9, . . . — Map (db m87574) HM
Pennsylvania (Union County), Mifflinburg — Leroy Massacre
Near here John Jacob Leroy was killed by Indians on Oct. 16, 1755, following the Penn's Creek Massacre. This was the first Indian hostility in the region after Braddock's defeat. — Map (db m84425) HM
Pennsylvania (Union County), Mifflinburg — Pennsylvania-German Four-square GardenCommon Methods of Corner Notching in Log Construction

Originating from the quadrant courtyards of German monasteries, the Pennsylvania German four-square kitchen gardens were divided into an even number of garden beds, usually four. They were raised, and divided by narrow paths. The garden was . . . — Map (db m127485) HM

Pennsylvania (Union County), Mifflinburg — Preparing the Logs

1 - Making a chalk-line on the log

· Cord reel with chalk · "Twang" a chalked squaring cord on bark. · Cross-section of log: gray shows hewn area

2 - "Scoring to the Line"

· Standing on the log with a long-handled . . . — Map (db m127472) HM

Pennsylvania (Union County), Mifflinburg — Story of Little Log House

The existence of this log house was unknown for many years because it was concealed within a large two-story frame house built over the years around the original log house. In 2002, plans were under way to demolish the larger house, move the . . . — Map (db m127470) HM

Pennsylvania (Union County), Mifflinburg — Typical Floor Plan of Continental Central Fireplace Log House

First floor room arrangement of Mifflinburg's log house

Heating and cooking in this log house differs from typical layouts. No signs of framing for such a large fireplace was found. Rather, a small 8" diameter pipe hole, which . . . — Map (db m127471) HM

Pennsylvania (Union County), New Berlin — "Albright's People"
The first church edifice of "Albright;s People" Later known as "The Evangelical Association" now, The Evangelical Church was erected on this plot, A.D. 1816 The total number of Albright's Followers was then, 1401 They now . . . — Map (db m84427) HM
Pennsylvania (Union County), New Berlin — Evangelical Church
The first church built by "Albright's People," later the Evangelical Association, was erected in New Berlin in 1816. It was the first Evangelical Church in the United States. The site is marked by a monument. — Map (db m84421) HM
Pennsylvania (Union County), New Berlin — First Church Building and Printing House of the Evangelical Association
The Evangelical Association was an American religious denomination formally organized by the followers of Jacob Albright in 1803.

The paving stones set in the ground mark the outlines of the first church building and the first printing house of . . . — Map (db m84433) HM

Pennsylvania (Union County), New Berlin — First Church of the Evangelical Association
Early preaching services of the Evangelical Association were held in homes, schoolhouses, and public buildings. The first church building of the denomination was erected at this spot in New Berlin, Union County PA in 1816. The lot for the building . . . — Map (db m84430) HM
Pennsylvania (Union County), New Berlin — First Printing House of the Evangelical Association
The first General Conference of the Evangelical Association, meeting in 1816 in the house of Martin Dreisbach of Buffalo Valley, Union County PA, authorized the establishment of a denominational printing house. The 1815 purchase of this lot in New . . . — Map (db m84434) HM
Pennsylvania (Union County), New Berlin — United Methodist Sites in New Berlin
1. Site of the first church building an first printing house of the Evangelical Association Water and Plum Streets These buildings were erected in 1816 as the first such structures in the entire denomination.

2. Second church building of the . . . — Map (db m84429) HM

Pennsylvania (Union County), West Milton — Shikellamy’s Old Town

On the plain stretching southeast from this ridge was situated the Indian village of Shikellamy’s Old Town, which was visited by Conrad Weiser in 1737, when on his way to Onondaga. Shikellamy was appointed vice-regent of the Iroquois . . . — Map (db m43310) HM
Pennsylvania (Union County), White Deer — Widow Catherine Smith
Built a stone house on this site in 1774, operating saw and grist mills that stood near the intersection of the present highway. During 1776, she completed the boring mill where a great many gun barrels for the Continental Army were manufactured. — Map (db m43300) HM
Pennsylvania (Union County), Winfield — Lee Massacre
Major John Lee and his entire family, with the exception of a son Robert, were massacred near here by an Indian war party of August 16, 1782. — Map (db m70663) HM

49 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement