Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Venango County Pennsylvania Historical Markers

 
Venango Path Marker image, Touch for more information
By Mike Wintermantel, May 1, 2013
Venango Path Marker
Pennsylvania (Venango County), Barkeyville — Venango Path
A major Indian path from the Forks of the Ohio (Pittsburgh) to Venango (Franklin) was located just west of here. George Washington used it in traveling north to Fort Le Boeuf in 1753. Captain Jonathan Hart widened the path in 1787 on his way to . . . — Map (db m42944) HM
Pennsylvania (Venango County), Cornplanter — McClintock-Steele-Waitz House — (a.k.a. Coal Oil Johnny's House)
McClintock-Steele-Waitz House (a.k.a. Coal Oil Johnny's House) This timber frame home was constructed in the early 1850's by Culbertson and Sarah "Sally" McClintock along the west bank of Oil Creek approximately 0.7 mile downstream from this . . . — Map (db m107774) HM
Pennsylvania (Venango County), Emlenton — Arthur W. Phillips - Physician / Humanitarian
Arthur William Phillips was born in Emlenton on July 29, 1888. His father, Samuel W. Phillips, successfully owned and operated oil wells in the Emlenton area. His mother, Clara Crawford Phillips, was a native of neighboring Scrubgrass Township. . . . — Map (db m78843) HM
Pennsylvania (Venango County), Emlenton — Education - A Local Priority
The first school began in 1839 in a private home. In 1873 a large three-story brick building, including a high school, was erected on this site. In 1928 it was replaced by the present building, completely equipped, a gift to the community by Harry . . . — Map (db m78846) HM
Pennsylvania (Venango County), Emlenton — Emlenton At Leisure
Emlenton played as hard as it worked and the railroad brought many people to town for special occasions. The depot was located at the rear of this site and was served by eleven daily passenger trains. People then used the rails as much as we use our . . . — Map (db m78847) HM
Pennsylvania (Venango County), Emlenton — H.B. Mitchell - An Emlenton Success Story
In 1896, Harry Bennett Mitchell (1875-1945) assumed the reins of his late father's hardware business. At age 21 he began to build an enterprise that would span more than four decades and make him one of Emlenton's most prosperous merchants. In . . . — Map (db m78849) HM
Pennsylvania (Venango County), Emlenton — Hotels of Emlenton
left panel Travelers to this area were first accommodated in a tavern built near this site in 1820 by Andrew McCaslin. Another early hotel was later built across the river in what was referred to as "West Emlenton." Both catered to river . . . — Map (db m78841) HM
Pennsylvania (Venango County), Emlenton — James Bennett - Premier Entrepeneur
Bennett came to Emlenton in 1868 to hire out as a tinner to the Widel and Crawford Foundry at $1.25 a day. He stayed on to become one of the town's most prosperous and respected citizens. For half a century hea was the impetus and/or promoter of . . . — Map (db m78848) HM
Pennsylvania (Venango County), Emlenton — Railroad Supplies The Area's Needs
The Allegheny Valley Railroad, later a branch of the Pennsylvania Railroad, reached Emlenton in 1867. Local merchants soon availed themselves of the freight services bringing goods from all parts of the country. Daily merchandise trains brought . . . — Map (db m78850) HM
Pennsylvania (Venango County), Emlenton — The Crawford Family
Eben Crawford (1821-1897), was an iron foundry operator and early oil and gas producer. In 1926 sons, George (1861-1935) and Fred (1863-1933) organized Columbia Gas and Electric Corp., the world's largest integrated natural gas company, merging . . . — Map (db m78833) HM
Pennsylvania (Venango County), Emlenton — The Emlenton Bridge
The Emlenton Bridge spanned the Allegheny River at this location from 1883 to 1987. Originally constructed of wrought iron, it consisted of two double-intersection Pratt trusses. Built by the Wrought Iron Bridge Company for the Emlenton Bridge . . . — Map (db m78838) HM
Pennsylvania (Venango County), Emlenton — West Main Street Development
In 1856 Levi Allebach moved his jewelry business from Water Street (later River Ave.) - much against the advice of local residents - into this "backwoods" building. At that time Emlenton's commercial section was located along the river. Within a few . . . — Map (db m78852) HM
Pennsylvania (Venango County), Franklin — Fort Franklin
Site just west of here. Built in 1787 by United States troops under Captain Heart. First American fort in the region and base for protecting northwestern Pennsylvania's early settlements. — Map (db m42933) HM
Pennsylvania (Venango County), Franklin — Fort Machault
Built by the French in 1756 to guard the route to the Ohio; it was evacuated and burned by them after the siege and fall of Fort Niagara in 1759. Site of fort is one block south. — Map (db m42936) HM
Pennsylvania (Venango County), Franklin — Fort Venango
To assert control over the area, Fort Venango was built near this point by the British in 1760. The fort was attacked and destroyed by Indians in 1763 during Pontiac's uprising. — Map (db m42938) HM
Pennsylvania (Venango County), Franklin — Franklin
A frontier settlement, originally called Venango, was an established community and county seat when the oil boom hit. The town grew and prospered with the influx of speculators and businesses, becoming a center of refining activity in the rapidly . . . — Map (db m69044) HM
Pennsylvania (Venango County), Franklin — Galena-Signal Oil Company
Founded 1865. Under the leadership of Charles Miller and Joseph Sibley, it produced high-quality lubricants used by most United States railroads. Purchased 1878 by John D. Rockefeller's Standard Oil, which used Galena-Signal products to gain . . . — Map (db m42939) HM
Pennsylvania (Venango County), Franklin — George Bissell — (1821-1884)
An attorney and oil industry pioneer, in 1854 with J.G. Eveleth, he purchased the Hibbard Farm, future site of Drake Well. Later that year, they organized Pennsylvania Rock Oil Company, America's first oil corporation. Bissell, with partners, also . . . — Map (db m42940) HM
Pennsylvania (Venango County), Franklin — Johnny Appleseed
John Chapman, an actual person as well as a folk hero, lived nearby along French Creek between 1797 and 1804. Records indicate he had a nursery there and one near Warren, Pennsylvania, before moving on to Ohio. Born 1774 in Massachusetts, he died in . . . — Map (db m42934) HM
Pennsylvania (Venango County), Franklin — Major General Jesse L. Reno — (1823-1862)
Jesse Reno's boyhood home was here where his father, Lewis, operated a hotel. He left in 1842 to enter the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, graduating in 1846 as a Second Lieutanant in the Ordnance Corps. After distinguishing himself in the . . . — Map (db m74627) HM
Pennsylvania (Venango County), Franklin — Old Garrison
Built in 1796 to replace Fort Franklin. Commanded both French Creek and the Allegheny River. Occupied until 1799 by United States troops. Was later the first jail of Venango County. The site at the foot of Tenth Street is now under water. — Map (db m42941) HM
Pennsylvania (Venango County), Franklin — Samuel C.T. Dodd — (1836-1907)
General solicitor of Standard Oil, 1881-1905, and author of the Standard Oil Trust Agreement (1882). The agreement led to the company’s dominance of the industry and served as a model for other trusts. A Franklin native, his early law office was . . . — Map (db m42942) HM
Pennsylvania (Venango County), Franklin — Venango County
Formed March 12, 1800 out of Allegheny and Lycoming counties. The name (an Indian term) refers to French Creek. Franklin, county seat, was laid out in 1795. It became a city in 1868, as did Oil City in 1871. At Drake Well the oil industry was born, . . . — Map (db m42943) HM
Pennsylvania (Venango County), Oil City — Charles Lockhart — (1818-1905)
The largest crude oil refiner in Pittsburgh in the 1860s. Lockhart, Frew and Company merged its seven refineries with Standard Oil in 1874. Lockhart served on the board, managing 80% of United States oil refining, transport, and marketing. One of . . . — Map (db m42922) HM
Pennsylvania (Venango County), Oil City — Col. Francis "Gabby" Gabreski — (1919-2002)
A US Air Force pilot, he was a leading fighter ace during WWII and the Korean War. He taught fighter tactics to his pilots as squadron commander. He was highly decorated by the US and its allied partners. The son of Polish immigrants, he was born . . . — Map (db m59074) HM
Pennsylvania (Venango County), Oil City — Cornplanter
The Principle Chief of the Seneca People Also known as Gyantwachia ("The Planter") 1732? - 1836 On March 16, 1796 the Pennsylvania Legislature granted Cornplanter a tract of land at the confluences of the Allegheny River and Oil Creek, the . . . — Map (db m64965) HM
Pennsylvania (Venango County), Oil City — Cornplanter
A diplomat and defender of Seneca land and culture, Cornplanter allied the Iroquois Confederacy with the fledgling US after fighting for the British during the American Revolution. He arbitrated conflicts between Native Americans and settlers, . . . — Map (db m114605) HM
Pennsylvania (Venango County), Oil City — H. McClintock Farm
Arriving in the Oil Creek valley in 1796, Hamilton McClintock, Sr. purchased a 400-acre tract of land for farming. To his good fortune, the property boasted a productive, natural oil spring. Like the Seneca who inhabited the land before him, . . . — Map (db m133599) HM
Pennsylvania (Venango County), Oil City — Humboldt Refinery
One of the largest and most scientifically advanced petroleum refineries of its time occupied 47 acres along Cherry Run immediately northwest of this site. It was placed in operation by chemist Jon Bruns and the Lodovici Brothers in 1862. Named for . . . — Map (db m64958) HM
Pennsylvania (Venango County), Oil City — Hyde & Egbert Farm, and the McCray Tract
Two of the most notable farms at Petroleum Centre – the richest producing area in 1866 – were the McCray Farm on the high bluff behind the Oil Creek State Park Office , and the Hyde and Egbert Farm at its base. Companies and individuals . . . — Map (db m134838) HM
Pennsylvania (Venango County), Oil City — In Commemoration of the Gift
In commemoration of the gift of 303 acres of land now occupied by the city of Oil City, and located at the mouth of the Allegheny River by Thomas Mifflin, as the first Governor of Pennsylvania, to Cornplanter, Chief of the Seneca Indians on March 6, . . . — Map (db m65534) HM
Pennsylvania (Venango County), Oil City — In Memory of Cornplanter — 1735 - 1836
John O'Bail Chief of the Seneca Indians Who for services rendered the State of Pennsylvania at the close of the Revolution was created by Governor Mifflin in 1789 the land on which this part of Oil City is situated. — Map (db m64967) HM
Pennsylvania (Venango County), Oil City — Jacob J. Vandergrift — (1827-1899)
A leader in transforming the shipment of oil - by river, by rail, and ultimately by pipeline. Vandergrift arrived in Oil City, 1861, as a river captain. Beginning in 1868, Vandergrift, Forman and Company, laid miles of pipe to move oil from wells to . . . — Map (db m42924) HM
Pennsylvania (Venango County), Oil City — John Dewey
After graduation from the University of Vermont in 1879, the noted philosopher, liberal, and advocate of progressive education (1859-1952) taught for the first two years of his distinguished career at Oil City's first high school, located on this . . . — Map (db m42927) HM
Pennsylvania (Venango County), Oil City — Joseph Reid Gas Engine Company
Founded in Oil City, 1894, it produced engines for pumping oil wells. Its popular single piston engine was used worldwide by the oil industry. The company closed in 1939. — Map (db m42928) HM
Pennsylvania (Venango County), Oil City — McClintock Well #1 — Producing Oil Since 1861
Designated as an American Treasure by the National Park Service in 1999, McClintock #1 is a shallow, stripper well- one of many independently owned - that produce a few barrels (bbls) daily, but together generate around 30% of American oil. In . . . — Map (db m133603) HM
Pennsylvania (Venango County), Oil City — McClintock's Story — Owners and Producers from 1859 to 2000
Brewer, Watson & Company signed the first oil lease for land with Hamilton McClintock in 1869 and began drilling in 1860. On May 6, 2000, the oil well they drilled in 1861 was accepted by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania in recognition of the . . . — Map (db m133605) HM
Pennsylvania (Venango County), Oil City — Oil Well Supply Company
Founded nearby in 1878, it was a leading manufacturer of oil well machinery and supplies, serving the oil industry across the globe. By the early 1900s, employment peaked at 2,000. In 1930 it became a subsidiary of United States Steel. — Map (db m42932) HM
Pennsylvania (Venango County), Oil City — Patrick C. Boyle — (1846-1920)
An early oil scout and pioneer oil industry journalist, editor, and publisher. He owned and managed The Derrick newspaper and The Oil and Gas Journal, shaping them into nationally influential petroleum industry trade publications. . . . — Map (db m64926) HM
Pennsylvania (Venango County), Oil City — Pithole
Created in 1865 by the discovery of oil. Within a few months it was a boom town of 15,000 with banks, churches, hotels, newspaper, post office, water system, and railroad. Oil wells began to go dry in less than a year, and in time only excavations . . . — Map (db m64959) HM
Pennsylvania (Venango County), Oil City — Rynd Farm
In 1800, Irish immigrant Ambrose Rynd purchased a 500-acre tract of land in the Oil Creek from the Holland Land Company. He built a cabin on the property and dedicated the rest of his life to farming the land. Nearly 60 years later, his grandson . . . — Map (db m133607) HM
Pennsylvania (Venango County), Pinegrove Township — Speechley Gas Pool Well
Here on April 15, 1885, at a depth of 1, 963 feet, Samuel Speechley completed a natural gas well that was sufficient, for a time, to supply all of Oil City & nearby communities. At the pool of this well was discovered a deep gas bearing sand-stone . . . — Map (db m65535) HM
Pennsylvania (Venango County), Pleasantville — First Oil Pipeline
Constructed in the fall of 1865. Following a straight course about 5 miles in length, it transported oil by pumps from Pithole to a railhead at Miller Farm, thus revolutionizing the transportation of petroleum. Dug up when Pithole wells were pumped . . . — Map (db m64963) HM
Pennsylvania (Venango County), Pleasantville — John Franklin Carll — (1826-1904)
Pioneer petroleum geologist and engineer, Carll originated many standard oil industry practices, including accurate drilling records, correlating and mapping sub-surface reservoir rocks, and explaining the increased productivity resulting from . . . — Map (db m64964) HM
Pennsylvania (Venango County), Pleasantville — Pithole
Created in 1865 by the discovery of oil. Within a few months it was a boom town of 15,000 with banks, churches, hotels, newspaper, post office, water system, and railroad. Oil wells began to go dry in less than a year, and in time only excavations . . . — Map (db m64960) HM
Pennsylvania (Venango County), Pleasantville — Pithole City
Site of oil-boom town of 15,000. Established in 1865, a ghost town by 1868. Administered by the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission. — Map (db m64961) HM
Pennsylvania (Venango County), Reno — Jesse L. Reno — (1823-1862)
A distinguished Civil War General, Reno commanded a brigade of Burnside's Army in its North Carolina expedition and the 9th Corps of the Army of the Potomac at the battle of South Mountain, Md. where he was killed. He served previously in the . . . — Map (db m74614) HM
Pennsylvania (Venango County), Rouseville — Coy Coquette Locates Gusher
Early in 1864, A. C. Kepler dreamt he was in the woods with young woman who some considered a coquette (a flirt). An American Indian attacked him with a bow and arrow. The woman stealthily advanced and handed him a rifle that she plucked from . . . — Map (db m134839) HM
Pennsylvania (Venango County), Rouseville — Henry R. Rouse (1823-1861)
A former teacher and Warren County legislator who became a successful oil lease owner. One of 19 persons killed when the Little & Merrick oil well at Rouseville exploded and burned on April 17, 1861. As he lay dying, Rouse dictated a will that . . . — Map (db m50500) HM
Pennsylvania (Venango County), Rouseville — Oldest Producing Oil Well
McClintock No. 1 Oil Well has produced continuously since August, 1861. Drilled only two years after the famous Drake Well, it is located 240 yards away, across the railroad. — Map (db m50502) HM
Pennsylvania (Venango County), Rouseville — Toll Bridge
The oil boom of the 1860s attracted far more people to the area than could share directly in the oil profits. Some people found ways to make money through support services, such as transportation. You could only cross Oil Creek by ferry or ford . . . — Map (db m134858) HM
Pennsylvania (Venango County), Rouseville — Welcome to Petroleum Centre
Return to the oil boom era of the 1860s. Follow these signs, and let your mental time machine transport you to the noisy hustle and bustle of Washington and Main streets, the major thoroughfares of boomtown Petroleum Centre. Petroleum Centre, . . . — Map (db m134842) HM
Pennsylvania (Venango County), Rouseville — Wildcat Hollow
You are facing Hogback Hill. Behind it lies Wildcat Hollow, one of the many productive fields in the early oil era. According to tradition, a speculator who risked his luck by drilling in this narrow valley shot a wildcat, had it stuffed and set . . . — Map (db m134867) HM
Pennsylvania (Venango County), Titusville — Densmore Tank Cars
The first functional railway oil tank car was invented and constructed in 1865 by James and Amos Densmore at nearby Miller Farm along Oil Creek. It consisted of two wooden tanks placed on a flat railway car; each tank held 40-45 barrels of crude . . . — Map (db m88570) HM
Pennsylvania (Venango County), Titusville — Drake Well
This native boulder marks the plot where through the foresight, energy and persistence of Edwin L. Drake The first well was drilled for oil. On August 27, 1859 oil was found at a depth of sixty-nine feet. This great discovery . . . — Map (db m39968) HM
Pennsylvania (Venango County), Titusville — Drake Well Park
On this site "Col." Edwin Drake struck oil Aug. 27, 1859; the birth of the petroleum industry. Administered by the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission. — Map (db m50477) HM
Pennsylvania (Venango County), Titusville — Samuel Van Syckel
This plaque is dedicated to the memory of Samuel Van Syckel whose inventive mind and business ability planned and built the first successful oil pipeline in the world in September, 1865, from Pithole to Miller Farm, PA. Thus was set in motion a . . . — Map (db m133595) HM
Pennsylvania (Venango County), Utica — Utica Bridge
South Face Former location of a 262 foot, two span pratt through truss bridge constructed in 1866 by the Smith Bridge Company of Toledo, Ohio. The structure was a good example of late nineteenth century bridge technology, including pinned . . . — Map (db m74629) HM

58 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement