Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Washington County Pennsylvania Historical Markers

 
Mt. Hope United Presbyterian Church Marker image, Touch for more information
By William Fischer, Jr., May 22, 2009
Mt. Hope United Presbyterian Church Marker
Pennsylvania (Washington County), Acheson — Mt. Hope United Presbyterian ChurchOrganized (Assoc.) 1800
Pastors Thomas Allison • 1802 - 1837 David Thompson • 1838 - 1847 J T Brownlee D D • 1851 - 1900 S A Jackson • 1901 - 1904 Robert Hamill • 1904 - 1911 A P Duncan • 1915 - 1933 J C Stormont • 1935 - 1938 Ministerial Sons of . . . — Map (db m20816) HM
Pennsylvania (Washington County), Amity — The Reverend Thaddeus Dodd1740 1793
Graduate of Princeton College, 1773 Pioneer, preacher and educator Founder and first pastor of the Upper and Lower Ten Mile Presbyterian Churches, 1779-1793 Established the first classical school west of the Allegheny Mountains in 1782. A . . . — Map (db m69905) HM
Pennsylvania (Washington County), Avella — Doddridge's Fort
To the north were located the stockaded cabins of John Doddridge. Built about 1773, they served as a refuge for settlers of this region in Revolutionary days. Also boyhood home of Dr. Joseph Doddridge. — Map (db m20851) HM
Pennsylvania (Washington County), Avella — Meadowcroft Rockshelter
A deeply stratified archaeological site, its deposits span nearly 16,000 years. Discovered in 1973 by Albert Miller and excavated by University of Pittsburgh archaeologists. Meadowcroft revealed North America's earliest known evidence of human . . . — Map (db m40403) HM
Pennsylvania (Washington County), Beallsville — 10 — Madonna of the Trail
(South Face) N.S.D.A.R. Memorial to the Pioneer Mothers of the Covered Wagon Days. (East Face) On this historic spot, the hunting ground of the friendly Indian Nemacolin, this monument is erected and dedicated to the memory of our pioneer . . . — Map (db m501) HM
Pennsylvania (Washington County), Burgettstown — Site of Burgett Home and Fort
Site of Burgett Home and Fort circa 1780 — Map (db m62958) HM
Pennsylvania (Washington County), California — California(Keystone Marker)
West Brownsville - 4 California Historically famous as meeting place of settlers and Indians in 1767 Founded 1769 — Map (db m45005) HM
Pennsylvania (Washington County), California — California Boatyards
A major steamboat building center on the Monongahela, 1852-1879. No fewer than 131 boats were constructed here (74 in the 1850s alone), primarily for the western river trade. The boatyards ceased operations when the railroad (PV and C) acquired the . . . — Map (db m41783) HM
Pennsylvania (Washington County), California — Joseph A.“Jock” Yablonski(1910-1969)
A longtime resident of California and elected official of the United Mine Workers of America. He led efforts to improve working conditions for coal miners. On December 31, 1969—shortly after his defeat as a reform candidate for president of . . . — Map (db m346) HM
Pennsylvania (Washington County), Canonsburg — Colonel George Morgan
Here was the home, 1796-1810, of the noted Indian trader and agent. Site is marked by a monument. It was here that Morgan was visited by Aaron Burr. His conspiracy was first made known to Thomas Jefferson by Colonel Morgan. — Map (db m40415) HM
Pennsylvania (Washington County), Canonsburg — Dr. Jonathan Letterman(1824-1872)
A military surgeon, Letterman is credited with establishing modern methods of battlefield medical management. During the Civil War, he designed a medical supply wagon prototype, established triage procedures, and instituted an efficient system for . . . — Map (db m110871) HM
Pennsylvania (Washington County), Canonsburg — John McMillan
First Presbyterian missioner in this area, 1775. Founder of Hill Church, 1776, and of Western Theological Seminary and Jefferson College. Died in 1833, after sixty years in the ministry, and is buried in the churchyard. — Map (db m40397) HM
Pennsylvania (Washington County), Canonsburg — The Reverend John McMillan, D.D.
Born November 11, 1752 Died November 16, 1833 Pioneer, Preacher - Educator - Patriot Lies buried in this church yard Served sixty years in the ministry Leader in founding Western Theological Seminary Jefferson College - . . . — Map (db m40398) HM
Pennsylvania (Washington County), Charleroi — John K. Tener(1863-1946)
Governor of Pennsylvania, 1911-1915. Highlights of his administration included creation of statewide primary elections and a state highway system; establishment of the Department of Labor and Industry and Pennsylvania Historical Commission. Member . . . — Map (db m45006) HM
Pennsylvania (Washington County), Claysville — “S” Bridge
This stone bridge was part of the National, or Cumberland Road. Originated in 1805, it was completed to Wheeling in 1818. Over it passed countless wagons and stages uniting the East and the growing West. — Map (db m806) HM
Pennsylvania (Washington County), Claysville — Claysville
Claysville has the distinction of being one of the original “pike towns” along the National Road. In 1817, an early settler and land owner, John Purviance, learned that the new National Road, that was being constructed between . . . — Map (db m9372) HM
Pennsylvania (Washington County), Claysville — Claysville Veterans Memorial
Dedicated to veterans of all wars — Map (db m19400) HM
Pennsylvania (Washington County), Claysville — Rice’s Fort
The site of this fortified blockhouse, built during the Revolution by Abraham Rice was about six miles north on Buffalo Creek. It was attacked by a force of Indians in September, 1782, but withstood the siege. — Map (db m9293) HM
Pennsylvania (Washington County), Claysville — William Holmes McGuffey
Educator and author of the famed McGuffey Eclectic Readers for grade schools, was born five miles SW of here, Sept. 23, 1800. First published in 1836, the Readers sold 122 million copies during the next 85 years and were used in some 35 states. . . . — Map (db m754) HM
Pennsylvania (Washington County), Cross Creek — Cross Creek Church
Founded by Scotch-Irish Presbyterians who began to hold services in 1775 at Vance's Fort, 1 mile north. Original church built here and first pastor called in 1779. The present church building was erected 1864. — Map (db m45731) HM
Pennsylvania (Washington County), Donora — Cement City
Located four blocks to the west. Built 1916-1917 as housing for employees at American Steel and Wire's Donora plant. A community of 100 units in 80 Prairie-style buildings, noted for the innovative use of poured-in-place concrete construction. One . . . — Map (db m45008) HM
Pennsylvania (Washington County), Donora — Rabe Manor
Jacob Rabe came from Maryland in 1770 to Western Pennsylvania while this area was claimed by Virginia. In 1774 he received a Virginia Certificate for 412 acres. Boundary dispute between Virginia and Pennsylvania was settled in 1781, with the . . . — Map (db m69762) HM
Pennsylvania (Washington County), Donora — The 1948 Donora Smog
Major federal clean air laws became a legacy of this environmental disaster that focused national attention on air pollution. In late October of 1948, a heavy fog blanketed this valley, and as the days passed, the fog became a thick, acrid smog that . . . — Map (db m45007) HM
Pennsylvania (Washington County), East Bethlehem — The Abraham Tegarden Family
Abraham (1718-1781) and Mary Parker Tegarden from Frederick County, Virginia 1753, made an 'improvement' opposite mouth of Tenmile Creek, Fayette County; Abraham, sutler for Colonel Bouquet 1759, fought in French and Indian War, Captain Virginia . . . — Map (db m56944) HM
Pennsylvania (Washington County), Finleyville — Cincinnati Mine Disaster
Near this site was located the mule entrance to the Cincinnati coal mine. On April 23, 1913, at 12:15 P.M., One of the worst mine explosions in U.S. history occurred in this mine. This disaster resulted in the deaths of 96 miners and 1 rescue team . . . — Map (db m64385) HM
Pennsylvania (Washington County), Finleyville — Citation:
"For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at risk of life above and beyond the call of duty against the enemy in connection with a bombing mission over enemy occupied Europe on 20 February 1944. The aircraft on which Sergeant Mathies was serving as . . . — Map (db m64386) HM
Pennsylvania (Washington County), Finleyville — Fort Cox or Coxes Station
Built by Gabriel Cox about 700 yards Southeast of this site. Gabriel Cox came to this area in 1770 and took out a grant of 400 acres. The Virginia certificate was dated 1780 under the title of Coxburg. He also received another tract of the 262 acres . . . — Map (db m78747) HM
Pennsylvania (Washington County), Finleyville — James Chapel Methodist Church
James Chapel has been in continuous use since it was built in 1817. It was the outgrowth of a class formed about 1810 at Robert James' home. — Map (db m78748) HM
Pennsylvania (Washington County), Finleyville — Mingo Creek Church
This area has been called the cradle of the Whiskey Rebellion. Here in the 1790s, a log Presbyterian meetinghouse stood near the site of the present church. Used by the Mingo Creek Society after its formation in February 1794, it became a nerve . . . — Map (db m45012) HM
Pennsylvania (Washington County), Florence — Elisha McCurdy
The great Presbyterian revivalist is buried here where he served as pastor 46 years. At Cross Roads and Upper Buffalo he led, in November of 1802, the Great Revival meetings attended by many thousands from near and far. — Map (db m40418) HM
Pennsylvania (Washington County), Independence — Independence Community Honor Roll
[Front of Monument:] 1941 ** Dedicated to the ** 1945 Members of Our Community Serving Our Country in the Armed Forces [Left Column:] H Patterson, C Burns, P Westlake, C Gillespie, J Shymchyk, J Shedkiac, G . . . — Map (db m20854) HM
Pennsylvania (Washington County), McDonald — Jay Livingston(1915-2001)
Prolific composer and writer of popular songs for motion pictures and television from the 1940s to the 1990s. Born and raised in McDonald. Along with partner Ray Evans, Livingston earned Academy Awards for the songs “Buttons and Bows,” . . . — Map (db m45733) HM
Pennsylvania (Washington County), McDonald — McDonald Oil Field
Oil was first struck here in 1890, and in 1891 and 1892 the field yielded the highest levels of oil in the world. Second only in Pa. history to the Bradford Oil Field in both size and production, it was instrumental in achieving the state's highest . . . — Map (db m58541) HM
Pennsylvania (Washington County), Monongahela — Horseshoe Baptist Cemetery
The Horseshoe Baptist Church was built first in 1790 on land formerly owned by Abraham Frye. In 1810 a brick church replaced the original log structure, and for seventy years the member worshipped here. In 1880 that church was torn down and members . . . — Map (db m69760) HM
Pennsylvania (Washington County), Monongahela — Jackie Ormes(1911-1985)
The first black woman to be a nationally syndicated cartoonist in the US, and for many years, the only one. Beginning in 1937, her comics were published in African American newspapers, the Pittsburgh Courier and Chicago Defender. Her . . . — Map (db m98348) HM
Pennsylvania (Washington County), Monongahela — Monongahela
Oldest settlement in the valley and transportation center since the days of Devore's Ferry, chartered 1775. Laid out in 1796 as Williamsport. A city since 1873. Here thousands of pioneers began the river journey to the West. — Map (db m39965) HM
Pennsylvania (Washington County), Monongahela — Monongahela
Oldest settlement in the valley and transportation center since the days of Devore's Ferry, chartered 1775. Laid out in 1796 as Williamsport. A city since 1873. Here thousands of pioneers began the river journey to the West. — Map (db m45003) HM
Pennsylvania (Washington County), Monongahela — Monongahela
Oldest settlement in the valley and transportation center since the days of Devore's Ferry, chartered 1775. Laid out in 1796 as Williamsport. A city since 1873. Here thousands of pioneers began the river journey to the West. — Map (db m45004) HM
Pennsylvania (Washington County), Monongahela — One Extraordinary StreetThe Story of Park Avenue
Immigrants from Italy, Central Europe and other regions settled in Monongahela, Pennsylvania. Through hard work, commitment to faith, family and each other, along with an innovative spirit, they built a thriving community of accomplishment in the . . . — Map (db m45009) HM
Pennsylvania (Washington County), Monongahela — The Mounds
Site of two Indian Burial Mounds built between 2,000 and 3,000 years ago by the Adena people. Late 19th century excavations found skeletons, pottery, copper implements, and other antiquities. — Map (db m45011) HM
Pennsylvania (Washington County), Monongahela — Whiskey Point
The bluff at Main Street and Park Avenue was the site on August 14, 1794, of a meeting of 226 whiskey rebels. Albert Gallatin's eloquence turned the tide, resulting in peaceful ending of the Whiskey Rebellion and the possibility of civil strife. — Map (db m45010) HM
Pennsylvania (Washington County), Prosperity — Site of Old Lindley Fort and Stockade
Built 1770 — Map (db m69906) HM
Pennsylvania (Washington County), Richeyville — Centerville
Beallsville - 4 Centerville Central stopping point between Washington and Uniontown for stagecoaches. Founded 1821 — Map (db m5017) HM
Pennsylvania (Washington County), Scenery Hill — Hill’s Tavern
This tavern, in continuous operation since 1794 when it was opened by Stephen Hill, is one of the oldest on the National Road. It was a popular stop for stage coaches and waggoners. — Map (db m255) HM
Pennsylvania (Washington County), Venice — David Reed
Opposite was the log home of David Reed, leader of the Covenanter squatters on lands owned by George Washington. Here 13 of the Scotch-Irish pioneers met with him on September 20, 1784, defying his effort to remove them. — Map (db m45728) HM
Pennsylvania (Washington County), Venice — George Washington
Near here at the David Reed home, Washington met September 20, 1784, with 13 Covenanter squatters on his tract of 2613 acres. Failure to fix terms of purchase forced him to bring suit at Washington to eject the illegal tenants. — Map (db m45729) HM
Pennsylvania (Washington County), Washington — "Declaration & Address"
First published at this site. Founding of the Disciples of Christ is dated from this statement's adoption, September 7, 1809. It was written by Thomas Campbell, who with his followers had organized the Christian Association of Washington earlier in . . . — Map (db m40416) HM
Pennsylvania (Washington County), Washington — 25 Ton G.E. Diesel-Electric Locomotive 89Pennsylvania Trolley Museum
Acquired by PTM in April 2006, locomotive 89 was originally built in May 1953 for a machine tool manufacturing plant in south central PA. It subsequently had several additional owners, last serving the AGWAY grain terminal in Philadelphia until . . . — Map (db m77027) HM
Pennsylvania (Washington County), Washington — Augusta Town
Here met, in August 1776, under Virginia’s claim to western Pennsylvania, the first court west of the Monongahela River. The site is a mile south and marked by a monument. — Map (db m818) HM
Pennsylvania (Washington County), Washington — Bradford House
Built in 1788 by David Bradford, leader of the Whiskey Rebellion in 1794. Occupied by him until he fled to Spanish West Florida after the collapse of the Rebellion. — Map (db m40400) HM
Pennsylvania (Washington County), Washington — Captain Philo McGiffin
Born December 13, 1860, on this site. Graduate of the United States Naval Academy. Went to China in 1885, built up and trained its Navy. September 17, 1894, it fought the Japanese to a draw in a naval battle at Yalu River. McGiffin died in 1897 from . . . — Map (db m40414) HM
Pennsylvania (Washington County), Washington — Delvin G. Miller(1913-1996)
An excellent horseman and among the most influential names in harness racing, Miller won 2,442 races in 8 decades, including the Hambletonian and the Little Brown Jug. He bred and trained many champions, including Adios, a winning stallion with . . . — Map (db m42049) HM
Pennsylvania (Washington County), Washington — Edward Acheson
The eminent American chemist was born in this house with the round corner, 1856. Was awarded many medals for his invention of carborundum, artificial graphite, and other valuable products of the electric furnace. — Map (db m263) HM
Pennsylvania (Washington County), Washington — Gamma Chapter of Beta Theta Pi
This plaza is the gift of Gamma Chapter of Beta Theta Pi, the oldest chapter in continuous existence and the first chapter of a college social fraternity in Pennsylvania, to mark the 125th Anniversary of its founding in 1842 at Jefferson College. — Map (db m261) HM
Pennsylvania (Washington County), Washington — Gantz Oil Well
Site of first oil well in Washington County. Oil was struck in Dec., 1884. First oil was shipped in 1885; last oil was pumped about 1916. This well led to the development of the Washington oil field. — Map (db m819) HM
Pennsylvania (Washington County), Washington — Globe Inn
Stood on this site. It was opened in 1798 by David Morris. Among the noted guests during the National Road era were five presidents of the United States. Lafayette was entertained here on May 25, 1825. — Map (db m40401) HM
Pennsylvania (Washington County), Washington — Jesse William Lazear
In Memory of Jesse William Lazear 1868-1900, Washington and Jefferson College 1888. Physician and Scientist, he researched the cause of Yellow Fever with the U.S. Army Medical Commission, led by Walter Reed, in Cuba. Volunteering as an experimental . . . — Map (db m64494) HM
Pennsylvania (Washington County), Washington — LeMoyne Crematory
This crematory, the first in the United States, was built in 1876 by Dr. Francis LeMoyne. From 1876 to 1900, there were 42 cremations. Dr. LeMoyne lies buried here. — Map (db m40402) HM
Pennsylvania (Washington County), Washington — LeMoyne House
Built, 1812, by Dr. John LeMoyne. For many years, home of his son Dr. Francis LeMoyne, noted abolitionist, and builder of first crematory in U.S. Now the home of the Washington County Historical Society. — Map (db m262) HM
Pennsylvania (Washington County), Washington — National Road
Our first national road; fathered by Albert Gallatin. Begun in 1811 at Cumberland, Md.; completed to Wheeling in 1818. Toll road under State control, 1835-1905. Rebuilt, it is present U.S. Route 40. — Map (db m816) HM
Pennsylvania (Washington County), Washington — Rebecca Harding Davis(1831-1910)
Journalist, editor, and literary pioneer, Davis was influential in the Realist movement. She wrote hundreds of works related to social issues, including the renowned Life in the Iron Mills. Born in the nearby Bradford House, she attended . . . — Map (db m64342) HM
Pennsylvania (Washington County), Washington — Richfol Shelter
One of the interurban's advantages over the train with which it competed was its frequent stops, either in recognition of heavy patronage or as a result of the farmer's negotiating ability in writing the lease for the right-of-way. After . . . — Map (db m77028) HM
Pennsylvania (Washington County), Washington — The Fraternity of Phi Gamma Delta
Founded May 1, 1848 at Jefferson College by Daniel Webster Crofts James Elliott Naaman Fletcher Ellis Bailey Gregg John Templeton McCarty Samuel Beatty Wilson Fortiter Fideliter Feliciter — Map (db m15976) HM
Pennsylvania (Washington County), Washington — The Whiskey Rebellion
In 1791, the National Road Heritage Corridor was the stage for a national crisis that came to be known as the Whiskey Rebellion, a scene of climatic moments in the history of the United States and its newly formed government. Responding to the first . . . — Map (db m40412) HM
Pennsylvania (Washington County), Washington — Washington
Laid out in 1781 by John and William Hoge. Site of Indian Catfish Camp. Boro charter, 1810; city, 1823. National Road center and rich in historic buildings and associations. Named for George Washington. — Map (db m258) HM
Pennsylvania (Washington County), Washington — Washington
Laid out in 1781 by John and William Hoge. Site of Indian Catfish Camp. Boro charter, 1810; city, 1823. National Road center and rich in historic buildings and associations. Named for George Washington. — Map (db m815) HM
Pennsylvania (Washington County), Washington — Washington
Laid out in 1781 by John and William Hoge. Site of Indian Catfish Camp. Boro charter, 1810; city, 1923. National road center and rich in historic buildings and associations. Named for George Washington. — Map (db m56716) HM
Pennsylvania (Washington County), Washington — Washington and Jefferson College
Chartered history starts with the founding of Washington Acacemy in 1787. A section of the Administration Building erected, 1793. Washington College (1806) and Jefferson College (1802) were united in 1865. — Map (db m259) HM
Pennsylvania (Washington County), Washington — Washington and Jefferson College
Chartered history begins with the founding of Washington Academy in 1787. Section of the Administration Building erected, 1793. Washington College (1806) and Jefferson College (1802) united in March, 1865. — Map (db m58623) HM
Pennsylvania (Washington County), Washington — Washington County
Formed March 28, 1781 out of Westmoreland County and named for General George Washington. A scene of activity in the Whiskey Rebellion, 1791-1794. The county seat, Washington, was made a borough in 1810; then a city in 1924. On the National Road, . . . — Map (db m40410) HM
Pennsylvania (Washington County), Washington — Wolff’s Fort
A stockaded house built here about 1780 by Jacob Wolfe afforded a refuge for the settlers of this region. It was one of the most important forts in the area. — Map (db m817) HM
Pennsylvania (Washington County), West Alexander — Miller’s Blockhouse
Site 3 miles north. Built about 1780 by Jacob Miller, Sr. Rendezvous for settlers of the Dutch Fork area. Here, March 31, 182, Ann Hupp led a heroic defense against attacking Indians. — Map (db m40051) HM
Pennsylvania (Washington County), West Brownsville — James G. Blaine
Born Jan. 31, 1838, on this site, of Pennsylvania pioneer ancestry. Washington College graduate. Moved to Maine in 1854. Served the nation as member of Congress, party leader and Secretary of State. — Map (db m254) HM
Pennsylvania (Washington County), West Middletown — Ralston Thresher
Nearby was the site of the Robert McClure factory of pre-Civil War days. It pioneered in making Andrew Ralston's machine cleaning and threshing grain in a single operation, patented in 1842. — Map (db m40404) HM

74 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement