Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Westmoreland County Pennsylvania Historical Markers

 
Fort Hand Marker image, Touch for more information
By Mike Wintermantel, November 12, 2014
Fort Hand Marker
Pennsylvania (Westmoreland County), Apollo — Fort Hand1777-1779
Only fort erected in Westmoreland County by Continental Congress Blockhouse surrounded by stockade with wall guns Named for Gen. Edward Hand — Map (db m78855) HM
Pennsylvania (Westmoreland County), Apollo — Nellie Bly(1864-1922)
A crusading journalist on Pittsburgh and New York newspapers, she won fame for her daring exploits and her investigations of social ills. In 1889-90, Bly circled the globe in 72 days. She was born Elizabeth Cochran and lived here as a child. — Map (db m40557) HM
Pennsylvania (Westmoreland County), Arnold — Fannie Sellins(1870-1919)
An organizer for the United Mine Workers, Fannie Sellins was brutally gunned down in Brackenridge on the eve of a nationwide steel strike, on August 26, 1919. Her devotion to the workers' cause made her an important symbolic figure. Both she and . . . — Map (db m58072) HM
Pennsylvania (Westmoreland County), Belle Vernon — Colonel Edward Cook(1738-1808)
Settling here in the 1770s, Cook became a prominent landholder, jurist, and politician. He was a member of the Provincial Congress in Philadelphia in 1776 and served at the State Constitutional Convention. Although a moderate during the Whiskey . . . — Map (db m54927) HM
Pennsylvania (Westmoreland County), Delmont — Bushy Run
Three miles to the south, at Bushy Run, an army under Colonel Henry Bouquet defeated the Indians, August 5-6, 1763. This raised the siege of Fort Pitt and opened the gateway for settlement of the West. It is now a State Park. — Map (db m47957) HM
Pennsylvania (Westmoreland County), Delmont — Fairview Park
Due to racial segregation into the mid-20th century, African Americans were excluded from many amusement parks and recreational facilities. Local Sunday School superintendents formed the Monongahela Valley Sunday School Assoc. and in 1945 purchased . . . — Map (db m107239) HM
Pennsylvania (Westmoreland County), Donegal — Donegal American Legion Veterans Memorial
Dedicated to all veterans through peace or war Their memories will never die. — Map (db m23246) HM
Pennsylvania (Westmoreland County), East Huntingdon — Morewood Massacre
On April 2, 1891, at the nearby Morewood Mines of the H.C. Frick Coke Company, sheriff's deputies killed seven strikers; two more died later. These were among some 16,000 workers striking for higher wages in the coke region. Thousands of mourners . . . — Map (db m55591) HM
Pennsylvania (Westmoreland County), Greensburg — Arthur Saint Clair(1737-1818)
President, Continental Congress, 1787; member, 1785-87. First Governor of the Northwest Territory (lying between the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers), 1787-1802. Earlier, he was Westmoreland County Court Justice after the county's formation in 1773, and . . . — Map (db m48066) HM
Pennsylvania (Westmoreland County), Greensburg — Fort Allen
A little south, site of post built 1774 by Pennsylvania German pioneers of Brush Creek and Harrold's settlements. A refuge from Indians in Dunmore's War and American Revolution. — Map (db m55583) HM
Pennsylvania (Westmoreland County), Greensburg — Fort Allen
Built and commanded by Colonel Christopher Truby, officer of the revolution, was located 150 yards to the south of this marker. A frontier Fort of Dunmore's War 1774, the Indian War, and the War of the Revolution, It was also known as Truby's . . . — Map (db m55584) HM
Pennsylvania (Westmoreland County), Greensburg — Hannastown
Site of former county seat of Westmoreland County is just west of here. First county seat west of mountains, 1773. Citizens adopted a Declaration in support of the Revolution, 1775. Burned by the Indians in 1782. — Map (db m55846) HM
Pennsylvania (Westmoreland County), Greensburg — Sion Church-Herolds SettlementFirst Lutheran Church West of the Alleghany Mountains
Pioneers arrived 1755-1760 • Settlement established 1769 158 acres called "Good Purpose" preempted for Lutheran Church in 1765. Warrant Granted 1785 Patent Granted 1789 Log School House and Church built 1772 on site about 300 feet south of . . . — Map (db m55595) HM
Pennsylvania (Westmoreland County), Greensburg — Toll House
Just northeast of here stood 1 of 5 gates of Greensburg-Pittsburgh Turnpike Road Company The turnpike, a section of the Pittsburgh-Philadelphia road, was completed in 1817. Over it, passed goods in trade between east and west. — Map (db m47959) HM
Pennsylvania (Westmoreland County), Greensburg — Toll House
Site of toll house of the Stoyestown-Greensburg Turnpike Road Company The turnpike, a section of the Philadelphia-Pittsburgh road, was completed in 1819 at a cost of about $6,000 a mile. State took over the turnpike in 1911. — Map (db m47960) HM
Pennsylvania (Westmoreland County), Greensburg — Train Station at GreensburgLincoln Highway
Road versus Rail—The Lincoln Highway stretches from New York City to San Francisco. In Western Pennsylvania, the Highway converges with the Pennsylvania Railroad Main Line at one location: Greenburg. The train station at Greensburg, . . . — Map (db m67362) HM
Pennsylvania (Westmoreland County), Greensburg — Westmoreland County
Formed on February 26, 1773 from Bedford County, it once comprised most of southwest Pennsylvania. First seat of English justice west of Alleghenies. Site of 1775 "Hanna's Town Resolves." Greensburg, the county seat, was incorporated in 1799. — Map (db m47961) HM
Pennsylvania (Westmoreland County), Harrison City — Bushy Run Battlefield
British and Americans under Colonel Henry Bouquet defeated the Indians here, August 5-6, 1763, during the Pontiac War, and lifted the siege of Fort Pitt. — Map (db m55582) HM
Pennsylvania (Westmoreland County), Hempfield — Braddock's Military Road 1755 Salt Lick Camp
This tablet marks the site of General Edward Braddock's sixteenth encampment named "Salt Lick Camp." Here Braddock's army camped July 3, 1755, after having marched six miles from Jacobs Cabin Camp. The circuitous route via Mount Pleasant was made to . . . — Map (db m72366) HM
Pennsylvania (Westmoreland County), Irwin — Braddock's Military Road 1755 "Three Springs" Camp
This tablet marks the most probable site of General Braddock's nineteenth camp. Here Braddock's army camped July 7, 1755, en route to capture Fort Du Quesne. The Turtle Creek defile with its deep and rugged ravines, and its steep and almost . . . — Map (db m33544) HM
Pennsylvania (Westmoreland County), Irwin — Braddock's Military Road 1755 Monacatootha's Camp
This tablet marks the site of General Edward Braddock’s eighteenth encampment called Monacatootha Camp from an unhappy incident on the march. Monacatooha’s son was shot by accident by Braddock’s own men. General Braddock as soon as the army camped . . . — Map (db m97380) HM
Pennsylvania (Westmoreland County), Irwin — Fort Walthour
Erected about 1774 near this place This stockade, enclosing a blockhouse and several buildings, was built by the pioneers of the Brush Creek community on the plantation of Christopher Walthour. It was the chief place of refuge and defense of the . . . — Map (db m78437) HM
Pennsylvania (Westmoreland County), Irwin — John Irwin House
Built 1836 by John Irwin, Nephew of Colonel John Irwin, this brick structure served as an inn for stagecoach passengers on the Greensburg to Pittsburgh Pike at Tinker Run. In 1851 John Irwin laid out the original plan of lots for the town of Irwin . . . — Map (db m58074) HM
Pennsylvania (Westmoreland County), Irwin — Long Run Church
Recognized site of early Presbyterian meetinghouse during the early 1770’s. First log church was destroyed by fire in 1775.

In 1781 the Long Run Church was built on the site of the William Marshall Family Massacre. — Map (db m109616) HM

Pennsylvania (Westmoreland County), Irwin — The Beginning of the Lincoln Highway
The Lincoln Highway was the first coast-to-coast highway built in 1913. A group of visionary businessmen from the automotive industry, led by Henry B. Joy and Carl Fisher, formed the Lincoln Highway Association. The Association successfully . . . — Map (db m58075) HM
Pennsylvania (Westmoreland County), Jeannette — AmbushBushy Run Battlefield
Col. Bouquet’s army left Ligonier on August 4th, 1763, and made twelve miles progress before stopping to camp along the road. On August 5th, Bouquet resumed his march and proceeded to within one mile of Bushy Run Station when Native Americans . . . — Map (db m67382) HM WM
Pennsylvania (Westmoreland County), Jeannette — Bushy Run
Four miles to the north, at Bushy Run, an army under Colonel Henry Bouquet defeated the Indians August 5-6, 1763. This raised the siege of Fort Pitt and opened the gateway for settlement of the West. It is now a State Park. — Map (db m47958) HM
Pennsylvania (Westmoreland County), Jeannette — Pontiac's WarBushy Run Battlefield
In the heart of the French and Indian War British emissaries attempted to persuade the Native Americans in the Ohio Valley to abandon their support of the French. In exchange, the British promised to leave the land west of the Allegheny Mountains . . . — Map (db m67385) HM WM
Pennsylvania (Westmoreland County), Jeannette — Welcome to Bushy Run Battlefield
Bushy Run Battlefield is the 1763 site of a battle between Native Americans and British forces under the command of Colonel Henry Bouquet. This battle stopped a Native American attempt to regain lands controlled by the British and allowed western . . . — Map (db m67383) HM
Pennsylvania (Westmoreland County), Latrobe — Fred McFeely Rogers(1928-2003)
Born and raised in Latrobe, Mister Rogers was the creator, composer, host, and puppeteer of the award-winning TV program Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood (1968-2001). The program, produced at WQED in Pittsburgh, emphasized kindness, compassion, . . . — Map (db m95411) HM
Pennsylvania (Westmoreland County), Latrobe — Right Reverend Boniface Wimmer, O.S. B.
PAX Right Reverend Boniface Wimmer, O.S.B. Founder of the Benedictine Order in the United States, Archabbot of St. Vincent, First President of the American Cassinese Congregation, Born at Thalmassing, Bavaria, January 14, 1809, Died at . . . — Map (db m80111) HM
Pennsylvania (Westmoreland County), Latrobe — Saint Vincent
Founded in 1846 by Boniface Wimmer on the site of a Catholic parish built in 1789, Saint Vincent Archabbey, College, and Seminary was the first institution in the US established by monks of the Order of Saint Benedict. The college was incorporated . . . — Map (db m80109) HM
Pennsylvania (Westmoreland County), Latrobe — Site of Sportsman's Hall Log Cabin
Which served as the first Catholic Parish Church of western Pennsylvania. The property was bought by the Reverend Theodore Brouwers, O.F.M. First pastor of the congregation, April 16, 1790. — Map (db m80113) HM
Pennsylvania (Westmoreland County), Latrobe — St. Xavier's
This Convent and Academy is the oldest institution of the Sisters of Mercy who came from Ireland in 1843. From here many Sisters have gone to various parts of the United States as nurses and teachers. — Map (db m48070) HM
Pennsylvania (Westmoreland County), Latrobe — The Banana Split
In 1904 in Latrobe, the first documented Banana Split was created by apprentice pharmacist David Strickler-sold here at the former Tassell Pharmacy. Bananas became widely available to Americans in the late 1800s. Strickler capitalized on this by . . . — Map (db m68062) HM
Pennsylvania (Westmoreland County), Latrobe — The Johnson House at KingstonEst, 1815 — Lincoln Highway Heritage Corridor
A residence and farm, a stagecoach stop, a tavern, an office building and a museum! In 1812, Scotch-Irish immigrant Alexander Johnston (who lived to be almost 100 yrs.) began erecting this landmark structure. The stone for the building and . . . — Map (db m99062) HM
Pennsylvania (Westmoreland County), Latrobe — Twelve Mile Camp
George Washington in 1758 set up a camp a mile north of this point while building Forbes Road. In 1774 Fort Shippen was built at the same site. — Map (db m48079) HM
Pennsylvania (Westmoreland County), Latrobe — William Findley
Near the western end of Latrobe was the log house of this antifederalist Congressman, who lived modestly alongside his constituents. A shaper of public opinion in western Pennsylvania, he sympathized with the Whiskey Rebellion but, as tempers . . . — Map (db m48082) HM
Pennsylvania (Westmoreland County), Ligonier — Arthur Saint Clair
At the head of the hollow to the south was last home of General Saint Clair. He served in the Revolutionary army, in the Continental Congress, and was first Governor of the Northwest Territory. His grave is at Greensburg. — Map (db m48067) HM
Pennsylvania (Westmoreland County), Ligonier — Building the HighwayLincoln Highway Heritage Corridor
This cement marker is one of 3,000 markers that were erected along the Lincoln Highway from New York City to San Francisco, approximately one per mile. On September 1, 1928, cement posts with bronze medallions bearing President Lincoln's profile . . . — Map (db m49264) HM
Pennsylvania (Westmoreland County), Ligonier — Bullet's Defeat
French and Indian troops defeated a party of 100 Virginians under the command of Captain Thomas Bullet near here on May 22, 1759. Bullet and his troops were taking provisions from Bedford to Fort Ligonier when they were attacked. They suffered over . . . — Map (db m68064) HM
Pennsylvania (Westmoreland County), Ligonier — Desert Storm Memorial
Dedicated in honor of our Ligonier area servicemen and women who served our country and fought to preserve peace. Dedicated July 4, 1991 — Map (db m49263) WM
Pennsylvania (Westmoreland County), Ligonier — Forbes Road1758 — Fort Bedford to Fort Duquesne
Fort Ligonier Built by order of General Forbes. Was located 200 yards west of this marker. The road leads south-westward to 12 mile encampment. Eminent service was rendered here by Colonel Henry Bouquet and Colonel John Armstrong and in . . . — Map (db m48072) HM
Pennsylvania (Westmoreland County), Ligonier — Fort Ligonier
Built here 1758 as a base of Forbes expedition. Under Colonel James Burd withstood French and Indian attack, October 22, 1758. Only small fort in West not taken in Pontiac's War, 1763, it made possible Bouquet's rescue of Fort Pitt. — Map (db m48073) HM
Pennsylvania (Westmoreland County), Ligonier — Fort Ligonier
The first English fort west of the Alleghany Mountains was built five hundred feet south-east of this spot, in 1758 by order of General John Forbes, and named in honor of Lord John Ligonier. Here General Forbes with the aid of Colonels George . . . — Map (db m48076) HM
Pennsylvania (Westmoreland County), Ligonier — Fort LigonierMonument Marks the Site
This monument marks the site of Fort Ligonier. It was built in 1758 during the French and Indian War by Colonel Henry Bouquet and named by his Commander General John Forbes, in honor of Sir John Ligonier, Commander in-chief of the British Armies. . . . — Map (db m61086) HM
Pennsylvania (Westmoreland County), Ligonier — Fort LigonierCentury Chain
President Dwight D. Eisenhower, seen by 30,000 in Ligonier on September 26, 1958, climaxed his visit with a public address on this site. He sealed into the Century Chain the open Bicentennial Link, using as ax from the fort’s artifacts. The . . . — Map (db m61087) HM
Pennsylvania (Westmoreland County), Ligonier — Highway EnterpriseLincoln Highway Heritage Corridor
In 1895, people from Pittsburgh could find refuge from the hustle and bustle of the city in Ligonier. At this time, Mr. Wiliam J. Potts, Ligonier's first Mayor, built a Victorian residence on this site for his wife Jessamine. It was the first home . . . — Map (db m49265) HM
Pennsylvania (Westmoreland County), Ligonier — Idlewild In 1938 - The Rollo Coaster Opens
In 1938 The Rollo Coaster opens to a crowd of 18,000. Standing 27' tall and 900' long, the unique out-and-back ride was constructed on a hillside. The wood for the ride was cut on park property, utilizing a sawmill built next to the construction . . . — Map (db m76913) HM
Pennsylvania (Westmoreland County), Ligonier — Idlewild Park
The longest-operating amusement park in Pennsylvania and among the oldest in the nation. In 1878, Thomas Mellon leased land along his Ligonier Valley Railroad hoping to increase passenger traffic by opening a picnic ground. Amusement rides began to . . . — Map (db m60066) HM
Pennsylvania (Westmoreland County), Ligonier — Idlewild Park Depot / Smallest Train Station125 Years — 1878-2002
[on depot] Idlewild Park was a regular stop on the Ligonier Valley Railroad, which connected with the P.R.R.'s main line at Latrobe from 1878 to 1952. This was the depot. It had a waiting room, ticket agent room, freight express room. "Ripley" . . . — Map (db m77025) HM
Pennsylvania (Westmoreland County), Ligonier — Johnston House
William F. Johnston, Governor of Pennsylvania, 1848-1852, was born near here, 1808. This house, built by his father, 1815, was his boyhood home. Known as Kingston House, it has been cited as a fine example of colonial style. — Map (db m48077) HM
Pennsylvania (Westmoreland County), Ligonier — Ligonier DepotPennsylvania Game Commission, Southwest Division HQ — Ligonier Valley School District
Dedicated April 6, 1957 to Better Wildlife Management ————— On November 3, 1955, the Game Commission purchased this property from the Ligonier Valley Railroad Company, which was incorporated on April 13, . . . — Map (db m49213) HM
Pennsylvania (Westmoreland County), Ligonier — Ligonier Town Square Fountain
On June 30th 1921 the members of Ligonier Volunteer Hose Company No. 1 presented this fountain to the People of Ligonier — Map (db m49219) HM
Pennsylvania (Westmoreland County), Ligonier — Ligonier War Memorial
In eternal gratitude to those who served in all conflicts waged to create and preserve our nation and our way of life Erected May 30, 1962 — Map (db m49262) WM
Pennsylvania (Westmoreland County), Ligonier — Loyalhanning
Indian village settled by the Delaware soon after their departure from the Susquehanna area in 1727, was located here. The name refers to "middle stream". — Map (db m60171) HM
Pennsylvania (Westmoreland County), Ligonier — Original Course of Forbes Road1758
Throught Ligonier Valley to Fort Pitt — Map (db m68067) HM
Pennsylvania (Westmoreland County), Ligonier — Philadelphia Tobaggan Company Carousel Number 83PTC No. 83
This beautiful carousel was built by the talented craftsmen of the Philadelphia Toboggan Co., who carved the solid wood horses and the intricate crown. The first year these horses galloped to the sound of laughing children, this merry-go-round . . . — Map (db m76911) HM
Pennsylvania (Westmoreland County), Ligonier — Picture Yourself on the Lincoln HighwayLincoln Highway Heritage Corridor
Pleasure driving along the Lincoln Highway has long been a popular pastime. Motorists sought and continue to seek scenic beauty and amusements, such as Idlewild Park. For most of its history, the Lincoln Highway was lined with attractions, . . . — Map (db m76912) HM
Pennsylvania (Westmoreland County), Ligonier — Railroad Signs125 Years — 1878-2002
This cast iron sign originally stood beside the Ligonier Valley Railroad tracks that passed through Idlewild. Several more can be found along the route of the park's narrow gauge train the "Loyalhanna Ltd." — Map (db m77024) HM
Pennsylvania (Westmoreland County), Ligonier — Road versus RailLincoln Highway Heritage Corridor
The rise and fall of the railroad corresponded to the continuing increase of roads, like the Lincoln Highway. Railroads were needed for transportation because roads were virtually impassable. But once new paving techniques made road surfaces . . . — Map (db m49218) HM
Pennsylvania (Westmoreland County), Ligonier — Roadside EnterpriseLincoln Highway Heritage Corridor
As the Lincoln Highway prospered, many towns saw the introduction of automobile dealerships onto Main Street. In 1920, A.J. McColly purchased this site, tore down two frame houses, along with a blacksmith shop, and erected this building for his . . . — Map (db m49266) HM
Pennsylvania (Westmoreland County), Ligonier — Saint Clair Hollow
Named in honor of General Arthur Saint Clair. The source of this hollow is a large spring two miles south, where General Saint Clair, in a log cabin, spent his last days. He was, A Major General in the American Revolution. President of the . . . — Map (db m48068) HM
Pennsylvania (Westmoreland County), Monesson — Christian B. Anfinsen(1916-1995)
Noted biochemist, born in Monessen. Recipient, Nobel Prize in Chemistry, 1972, for his pioneering study into the structure of the enzyme called "ribonuclease." A laboratory chief, National Institutes of Health, 1950-1982; he taught at Johns Hopkins . . . — Map (db m44984) HM
Pennsylvania (Westmoreland County), Mount Pleasant — Braddock's Military Road 1755
Gen. Edw. Braddock, equipped to attack Ft. Duquesne, cut a 12 ft. road north through the western wilderness. On July 2nd, seven days before their defeat, his troops rested midday at springs nearby then marched a few miles NW from this point to . . . — Map (db m20944) HM
Pennsylvania (Westmoreland County), Mount Pleasant — First General Conference of the United Brethren in Christ
In the Bonnet School House, on this site, the first General Conference of the Church of the United Brethren in Christ was held A.D. 1815. — Map (db m23094) HM
Pennsylvania (Westmoreland County), Mount Pleasant — General Edward Braddock and His Army
Crossed the Pittsburgh and Mount Pleasant Pike at this point July 3, 1755 — Map (db m20942) HM
Pennsylvania (Westmoreland County), Mount Pleasant — Henry Clay Frick
In memory of Henry Clay Frick 1849 - 1919 Native of this District Coal and Coke Magnate Ironmaster Capitalist and Philanthropist who began his financial career as a clerk in a store located in this building owned and . . . — Map (db m72364) HM
Pennsylvania (Westmoreland County), Mount Pleasant — Henry Clay Frick
The steel and coke magnate was born about one mile from here on Dec. 19, 1849. Birthplace and Historical House, the Overholt home, are now preserved as a historical museum. — Map (db m73913) HM
Pennsylvania (Westmoreland County), Mount Pleasant — John W. Geary
Governor of Pennsylvania, 1867-73; born, 1819, in Mt. Pleasant. His active career included other important offices: First Mayor of San Francisco, 1850; Governor of Kansas Territory, 1856; Major General, Civil War. Died, 1873. — Map (db m22354) HM
Pennsylvania (Westmoreland County), Mount Pleasant — Mount Pleasant Veterans Memorial
We Are Free Because They Served World War I World War II Korea Vietnam July 4, 1973 Andrew P Palenchar, Army KIA Clyde E Whetsel, Army KIA John Macheska, Army POW George Stefano, Army KIA John M Ulrey, Army KIA Frank C . . . — Map (db m22378) WM
Pennsylvania (Westmoreland County), Mount Pleasant — Mount Pleasant War Memorial
Erected to the memory of our gallant sons who endured the hardships and fought our nations battles Dedicated Nov. 11, 1924 1775-1783 Revolutionary War • 1812 War of 1812 1846-1848 Mexican American War • 1861-1865 Civil War . . . — Map (db m22355) WM
Pennsylvania (Westmoreland County), Mount Pleasant — Standard Shaft Mine and Coke Works
One of the world's largest coke producing centers operated here from 1883 to 1931. H. C. Frick Coke Company's more than 900 beehive ovens consumed thousands of tons of coal daily. The company publicized itself by exhibiting a scale model of Standard . . . — Map (db m55587) HM
Pennsylvania (Westmoreland County), Murrysville — Forbes Road
On the hill one mile south was located the Washington Camp. This base for Forbes Road was built Nov. 1758 by Col. George Washington, "Commanding the Troops to ye Westward," on the order of Colonel Henry Bouquet. — Map (db m43752) HM
Pennsylvania (Westmoreland County), Murrysville — Forbes Road
On the hill one mile south was located the Washington Camp. This base for Forbes Road was built Nov. 1758 by Col. George Washington, "Commanding the Troops to ye Westward," on the order of Colonel Henry Bouquet. — Map (db m43753) HM
Pennsylvania (Westmoreland County), Murrysville — Haymaker Well
On this site, a pioneer natural gas well "blew in" on November 3, 1878. Named for the brothers Matthew and Obe Haymaker who drilled it, the well was drilled to a depth of 1,400 feet to the Murrysville sandstone, a bed of pourous rock similar to the . . . — Map (db m79286) HM
Pennsylvania (Westmoreland County), Murrysville — Murrysville Gas Well
First gas well in county, and one of world's most productive. Drilled, 1878. Caught fire in 1881, burning for years with tremendous roar and brilliance. Later was controlled and piped to Pittsburgh. Site lies 500 yards S.E. near railroad. — Map (db m43751) HM
Pennsylvania (Westmoreland County), New Alexandria — Chalmers "Slick" Goodlin(1923-2005)
A natural aviator, Goodlin learned to fly at the New Alexandria Airport. In W.W.II Goodlin joined the Royal Canadian Air Force where he earned his wings, then flew for the U.S. Navy. In 1944, he became a test pilot for Bell Aircraft and made 26 . . . — Map (db m97044) HM
Pennsylvania (Westmoreland County), New Alexandria — Thomas F. Gallagher(1822-1883)
Thomas Gallagher and his brother George established a general store at this location in 1844, enlarging the building in 1875, now the oldest, continuously operating commercial building in town. At the outbreak of the Civil War he was commissioned . . . — Map (db m97045) HM
Pennsylvania (Westmoreland County), New Kensington — Stephanie Kwolek(1923-2014)
Polymer scientist whose discoveries led to the invention of DuPont Kevlar in 1965. Due to its high strength and durability, Kevlar is used in numerous industries. It is best known as the super strong material from which bullet-resistant vests are . . . — Map (db m98328) HM
Pennsylvania (Westmoreland County), New Kensington — Willie Thrower(1930-2002)
First African American to play quarterback in the modern National Football League and in the Big Ten Conference. He played in two games for the Chicago Bears in 1953 and was a member of Michigan State’s national championship team in 1952. Thrower . . . — Map (db m68065) HM
Pennsylvania (Westmoreland County), New Stanton — Rural Free Delivery
On November 24, 1896, the United States Post Office Department established Pennsylvania's first two rural mail routes here in Westmoreland County. One operated from the post office here in New Stanton; the other operated out of nearby Ruffsdale . . . — Map (db m55001) HM
Pennsylvania (Westmoreland County), Norvelt — Norvelt
Originally called "Westmoreland Homesteads," Norvelt was established April 13, 1934, by the federal government as part of a New Deal homestead project. With 250 homes, Norvelt provided housing, work, and a community environment to unemployed workers . . . — Map (db m55589) HM
Pennsylvania (Westmoreland County), Pittsburgh — Eddie Adams(1933-2004)
Photojournalist and Pulitzer Prize winner for the 1968 image Saigon Execution, which was influential in swaying public opinion against the Vietnam War. Adams began his career as a photographer for his high school yearbook and the local . . . — Map (db m95410) HM
Pennsylvania (Westmoreland County), Scottdale — Mammoth Mine Explosion
On January 27, 1891, an explosion in the nearby Mammoth Number 1 Mine of the H.C. Frick Coke Company killed 109 coal miners. Seventy-nine of the dead were buried in a mass grave here in Saint John's Cemetery. This disaster was the worst one known to . . . — Map (db m39964) HM
Pennsylvania (Westmoreland County), Smithton — Darr Mine Disaster
On December 19, 1907, an explosion killed 239 men and boys, many Hungarian immigrants, in Darr coal mine near Van Meter. Some were from the closed Naomi mine, near Fayette City, which exploded on Dec. 1, killing 34. Over 3000 miners died in December . . . — Map (db m54926) HM
Pennsylvania (Westmoreland County), Tarrs — East Huntingdon Soldiers Monument
Grand Army of the Republic 1861-1865 Spanish-American War 1898 World War I 1917-1918 World War II 1941-1945 Korean Conflict 1950-1953 Vietnam 1964-1973 — Map (db m20940) WM
Pennsylvania (Westmoreland County), Vandergrift — St Gertrude Roman Catholic Church
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m74892) HM
Pennsylvania (Westmoreland County), Vandergrift — Vandergrift
Hailed by historian Ida Tarbell as America's "most important industrial town," with homes owned by the workers. Founded 1895 by George G. McMurtry, president, Apollo Iron and Steel Company Named for Captain Jacob J. Vandergrift, and designed by the . . . — Map (db m40555) HM
Pennsylvania (Westmoreland County), West Newton — West Newton
Led by Gen. Rufus Putnam, the first settlers to establish American government in the Northwest Territory, built boats here to continue their journey from New England and to found Marietta, Ohio. They embarked on their river trip April 2, 1788. — Map (db m54924) HM

90 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement