English: The point at Coteau-du-Lac is formed by superimposed layers of dolomite (rock containing lime and magnesium). The British military used various excavation techniques to build a canal at this spot.
In general, they removed the . . . — — Map (db m83819) HM
English: The Canadian Parks service has a mission to preserve certain sites that bear witness to the history of our country and to the accomplishments of our ancestors. Of exceptional historic and archaeological importance, the Coteau-du-Lac . . . — — Map (db m83817) HM
Located at the confluence of the Delisle and St. Lawrence rivers, the point of land at Coteau-du-Lac was originally surrounded by water.
However, with the construction of hydroelectric dams and the St. Lawrence Seaway, the . . . — — Map (db m83794) HM
During the American Revolution, Governor Haldimand decided to establish a supply centre at Coteau-du-Lac, since it was well situated on the line of communication between Montréal and the Great Lakes. As early as 1779, blockhouses, . . . — — Map (db m83771) HM
Even before the canal was constructed, Coteau-du-Lac was used as a supply centre for goods being shipped to the Great Lakes posts. In 1779, two storehouses were built on the site: one was reserved for general merchandise, while the . . . — — Map (db m83770) HM
Although the Coteau-du-Lac canal was built primarily to accelerate the transport of troops and military supplies to the forts around the Great Lakes, it was also used for commercial purposes.
Traffic through the canal, which . . . — — Map (db m83798) HM
The settlement of Loyalists in Upper Canada after the American Revolution led to a substantial increase in trade between Upper and Lower Canada in the early 19th century. Since merchandise was transported mainly by water, the . . . — — Map (db m83799) HM
The construction of hydroelectric dams and the St. Lawrence Seaway in the 1950s caused the water level of the river to fall by about 2.5 metres.
At the eastern end of Lake Saint-François, dams, sluicegates and the . . . — — Map (db m83850) HM
From 1778 until the mid-19th century Coteau-du-Lac was the site of a British military post which defended the passage and facilitated the transportation of supplies along the St. Lawrence. It was of strategic importance to the . . . — — Map (db m82178) HM
During the American War of Independence, Frederick Haldimand, Governor of the Province of Quebec, had a supply post built at Coteau-du-Lac, given the site’s strategic location between Montreal and the Great Lakes. As early as . . . — — Map (db m83768) HM
These masonry features are the remains of the north blockhouse built by the British army during the American Revolution (1775-1783). Erected to protect the canal, this building was also used as a barracks and as a storehouse for . . . — — Map (db m83769) HM
English: Since the “batteau” was difficult to portage, the French has to find another means of getting this heavy boat past the rapids. As a result, they constructed a “rigolet” canal at Coteau-du-Lac in the 18th . . . — — Map (db m83846) HM
The construction of the canal at Coteau-du-Lac began in the summer of 1779.
William Twiss, Commanding Royal Engineer of the British army, was in charge of the project. Most of the labourers who worked on the canal were . . . — — Map (db m83820) HM
The St. Lawrence River abounded with rapids between Montréal and Kingston, especially in the stretch between Lake Saint-Louis and Lake Saint-François, where a series of “cascades” made navigation impossible. Of all the . . . — — Map (db m83849) HM
Of American origin, the Durham boat was introduced into Canada in around 1810. Since it was a flat-bottomed, shallow-draught vessel, it could be used in rapids, and shoal without running aground. It was equipped with an oar that . . . — — Map (db m83796) HM
These three markers, located in close proximity, deal with early habitation at Coteau-du-Lac. Marker One: English:
Coteau-du-Lac: A site visited for thousands of years
Over 7,000 years ago . . . — — Map (db m83868) HM
Captain William Twiss, Commanding Royal Engineer of the British army, initiated and supervised the construction of the Coteau-du-Lac canal.
This canal was intended to reduce the amount of time it took for . . . — — Map (db m83822) HM
With the development of lighter artillery, the art of warfare underwent important changes in the second half of the 18th century and early 19th century. Sudden, rapid manoeuvers (sic) began to replace the slow and stationary siege. . . . — — Map (db m83767) HM
English: A canal is an artificial waterway designed to improve navigation on a river or other watercourse.
A lock is a water-filled chamber with gates and sluices which allows vessels to travel between bodies of water that are located at . . . — — Map (db m83818) HM
English: Plans to launch an invasion of Canada during the Revolutionary War (1775-1783) brought to light a major weakness in the country’s system of defence.
At the time, the St. Lawrence River was the only line of supply for the . . . — — Map (db m83823) HM
This marker has material on both sides Side A:English:
Coteau-du-Lac: A Strategic Site
The War of 1812 changed Coteau-du-Lac’s defensive role. It was no longer simply a supply post. . . . — — Map (db m83792) HM