About 100 yards east of here was the home of General Ellerbe Boggan Crawford Cash, widely known for his 1880 duel with challenger Colonel William M. Shannon, whom he killed. Subsequently, all officers of the state and members of . . . — — Map (db m28267) HM
(Front): Erected by Ladies Memorial Association To the memory of our Heroic Dead who fell at Cheraw during the War 1864 - 1865. (Left Side): Fallen but not dead! "They have crossed over the river And they rest in the shade of the . . . — — Map (db m46221) HM
Organized in 1881, this Negro Presbyterian (USA) school was founded by the Rev. J.P. Crawford with support from Mrs. C.E. Coulter from whom it received its name. The Rev. G.W. Long was academy president from 1908 until 1943, and Coulter offered . . . — — Map (db m18197) HM
John Birks "Dizzy" Gillespie was born in a house on this site on Oct. 21, 1917. His family lived here until they moved to Philadelphia in 1935. A founder of modern jazz, Gillespie was an innovative trumpeter and bandleader known . . . — — Map (db m28273) HM
Francis Asbury (1745-1816), pioneer bishop of American Methodism, came to Cheraw in 1785, on his first visit to S.C. Asbury had just been ordained a general superintendent at the first General Conference in Baltimore on December 27, . . . — — Map (db m46201) HM
St. David's, authorized by the General Assembly in 1768, was the last parish established in colonial S.C. Said to be buried in its churchyard are soldiers of British forces occupying the Cheraws in 1780. The steeple and vestibule of this . . . — — Map (db m28270) HM
This church, formally organized in 1867, had its origins in Cheraw Baptist Church, founded in 1837. Shortly after the Civil War 285 black members there received permission to organize a separate church. Rev. Wisdom London, the first . . . — — Map (db m28271) HM
Encamped at Cheraw Hills in the summer of 1780 during the American Revolutionary War.
The Fraser Highlanders were recruited in Scotland in 1775 by their Clan Chief Simon Fraser, Master of Lovat, to serve in the army of King George III. They . . . — — Map (db m54803) HM
This Carpenter Gothic house was begun ca. 1858 for Aaron Austin (1831-1863) and his wife Margaret Jane Craig. Austin, a Northerner who settled in Chesterfield in the 1850s, was a lawyer and also a Chesterfield District magistrate. . . . — — Map (db m47435) HM
The building that stands here once served as the Chesterfield Academy. The first Chesterfield Academy building was located nearer to downtown. Local tradition holds that the Union 20th Corps burned the school along with other . . . — — Map (db m113789) HM
Chesterfield County's first courthouse was built here soon after the county was established in 1785. The second courthouse on this site was built 1825-1829 from plans by architect Robert Mills, designer of the Washington Monument. According to local . . . — — Map (db m28327) HM
Chesterfield High School, which stood here from 1908 to 1992, was the successor to Chesterfield Academy, an antebellum school burned by Federal troops in 1865. A new academy, built in 1889, later became Chesterfield School. By . . . — — Map (db m113790) HM
This post office, built in 1937-38, is one of several New Deal-era post offices in S.C. designed by the Public Works Division of the U.S. Department of the Treasury. Its architecture, a restrained version of the Colonial Revival . . . — — Map (db m102634) HM
First Secession Meeting, Chesterfield Courthouse.
Nov. 19, 1860.
Banner used on Secession Day.
Dedicated by the U.D.C's of Chesterfield Co. to the brave men, devoted women and faithful slaves, . . . — — Map (db m28328) HM
This house, the oldest in Chesterfield, was built ca. 1798 for John Craig (1755-1839), veteran of the American Revolution, merchant and miller, and county official. Craig’s father Hugh moved his family from Ireland to Virginia in . . . — — Map (db m28329) HM
One of Chesterfield's earliest houses, the Wm. Duke Craig House, c.1820, stood here before it was moved in 1975. Craig (1845-1935), farmer and merchant, also owned nearby Craig's Grist Mill. He fought in the Civil War with the 21st Regiment, S.C. . . . — — Map (db m28330) HM
This depot, built in 1914, was the second station built by the Seaboard Air Line Railway in McBee. The town, the most successful of those established along Seaboard's Columbia-to-Cheraw line after it was completed in 1900, grew so quickly that a new . . . — — Map (db m28265) HM