Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Fairfield County South Carolina Historical Markers

 
Feasterville Female and Male Academy image, Touch for more information
By Michael Sean Nix, December 13, 2008
Feasterville Female and Male Academy
South Carolina (Fairfield County), Blair — 20-11 — Feasterville Female and Male Academy
On State Highway 215 at Coleman Road, on the left when traveling south on State Highway 215.
Around 1840 an academy was established at this site by John Feaster, a noted landowner of this area, for the education of female and male students. By 1842, both academy building and a boarding house (dormitory)had been erected. Mr. Feaster, . . . — Map (db m14396) HM
South Carolina (Fairfield County), Blair — Fort Wagner
On State Highway 215 0.1 miles north of Fort Wagner Road, on the right when traveling south.
Site one mile east at junction of Beaver Creek and Reedy Branch built in 1760 by Hans Wagner as a refuge from the Cherokee Indians — Map (db m14397) HM
South Carolina (Fairfield County), Jenkinsville — 20-6 — Kincaid-Anderson House
On Landis Road 0.8 miles south of South Carolina Highway 213, on the left when traveling south.
This two-story brick house was built by James Kincaid (1754-1801), Revolutionary War soldier, who came from Scotland in 1773 and acquired this land in 1775. It was completed according to his plans after his death by his son, William Kincaid . . . — Map (db m14399) HM
South Carolina (Fairfield County), Jenkinsville — 20-2 / 272 — Old Brick ChurchAmerican Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site
On Monjicono Road (State Highway 213) 0.5 miles west of Landis Road, on the left when traveling west.
On May 9, 1803, the Associate Reformed Synod of the Carolinas was organized here at Ebenezer A.R.P. Church, built in 1788 by a congregation dating from colonial days. The rock wall was added in 1852. Damaged by Union troops in 1865, the church was . . . — Map (db m121864) HM
South Carolina (Fairfield County), Mitford — 20-23 — Camp Welfare
On Camp Welfare Road 2.5 miles south of Wateree Road, on the right when traveling north.
[Front] This camp ground, described by one journalist as "picturesque, rugged, simple, with an overhanging air of festivity," has hosted an annual camp meeting since 1876; slaves had worshipped here before the Civil War. The site was . . . — Map (db m14613) HM
South Carolina (Fairfield County), Mitford — 20-17 — Graveyard Of The Richmond Covenanter Church Reformed PresbyterianA quarter mile east
On State Highway 901 at Heritage Road, on the right when traveling north on State Highway 901.
Here lie buried many of the Scotch Irish pioneers, who, in 1772, under the leadership of the Rev. William Martin, founded one of the first Covenanter churches in upper South Carolina. — Map (db m14506) HM
South Carolina (Fairfield County), Ridgeway — 20-20 — Church Of Jesus Christ Of Latter-Day Saints
On Centerville Road (State Highway 20-67) at Park Road, on the left when traveling north on Centerville Road.
Site of five buildings 1897-1986. Enemies of church burned two, tornado destroyed one. 1994 marks 100 years of Mormon presence in this community. — Map (db m14467) HM
South Carolina (Fairfield County), Ridgeway — 20-1 — Confederate Headquarters
On Dogwood Street at Ruff Street, on the right when traveling south on Dogwood Street.
During February 17-19, 1865, General P.G.T. Beauregard, with Wade Hampton's cavalry acting as rear guard, made his headquarters here, telegraphing General R.E. Lee in Virginia news of the evacuation of Columbia, 20 miles south, before retiring to . . . — Map (db m14328) HM
South Carolina (Fairfield County), Rion — 20-24 — The Oaks
On Monjicono Road (State Highway 213) 0.5 miles west of Jackson Creek Road, on the left when traveling west.
(Front): This early Greek Revival house, built about 1835, is notable for its central double-tiered pedimented portico and double end chimneys. It was named for the oak avenue leading up to it and the oak grove surrounding it. The Oaks was . . . — Map (db m14331) HM
South Carolina (Fairfield County), Rockton — 20-9 — Thomas Woodward
On State Highway 34, on the left when traveling west.
1/4 mile east stood the home of Thomas Woodward, prominent leader of the South Carolina Regulator Movement, 1768-1769. He was a member of the First Provincial Congress and a charter member of the Mt. Zion Society. As Captain of Rangers in 1775-76 he . . . — Map (db m47445) HM
South Carolina (Fairfield County), Salem Crossroads — 20-15 — John Hugh Means/William Harper
On Ashford Ferry Road (County Route 18), on the right when traveling north.
(Front): Governor of S.C. (1850-1852), president of the 1852 Secession Convention, and signer of the Ordinance of Secession in 1860, John Means was born near here in 1812. A colonel in the 17th Regiment, S.C. Volunteers, CSA, he died Sept. . . . — Map (db m47540) HM
South Carolina (Fairfield County), Winnsboro — 20-19 — Bethel Church
On Washington Street at Zion Street, on the left when traveling east on Washington Street.
[Marker Front]: This Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church was incorporated in 1823. Early pastors were the Rev. James Lyle and the Rev. Thomas Ketchin, installed 1825 and 1844 respectively. The old cemetery, located at corner of Fairfield . . . — Map (db m14321) HM
South Carolina (Fairfield County), Winnsboro — British Headquarters
On Zion Street at College Street, on the left when traveling south on Zion Street.
Headquarters of the British forces under Lord Cornwallis Oct. 1780 - Jan. 1781 — Map (db m14313) HM
South Carolina (Fairfield County), Winnsboro — 20-14 — Cathcart-Ketchin House / Catharine Ladd
On Congress Street 0.1 miles north of Moultrie Street, on the right when traveling south.
[Two-sided marker] Cathcart-Ketchin House Richard Cathcart purchased this lot from John McMaster in 1829, and it is thought he built the present federal-style house shortly thereafter. The house has had a number of owners including . . . — Map (db m14325) HM
South Carolina (Fairfield County), Winnsboro — Confederate Dead of Fairfield County
On Hudson Street 0.1 miles east of Zion Street, on the left when traveling east.
[South Side] 17th S.C.V.C. 2nd S.C.V.C. 7th S.C.V.C. 1st S.C.V.C. Beaufort Art. 3rd S.C.S.T. 1861-1865 [West Side] 2nd S.C.V.I. 12th S.C.V.I. 4th S.C.V.C. 5th S.C.V.C. [North Side] 13th S.C.V.I. . . . — Map (db m14312) HM
South Carolina (Fairfield County), Winnsboro — 20-7 — Fairfield County / Winnsboro
On Congress Street just from Washington Street, on the left when traveling north.
Fairfield County A center of activity in the Regulator movement to bring law and order to the backcountry, this area in 1769 was made part of Camden District under the Circuit Court Act. In 1775 it formed part of the District between the . . . — Map (db m47442) HM
South Carolina (Fairfield County), Winnsboro — 20-8 — Fairfield County Courthouse
Near Congress Street at Washington Street, on the right when traveling south.
This courthouse was built in 1822 by Wm. McCreight under the supervision of Robert Mills, South Carolina architect, then serving as Supt. of Public Works. Alterations and additions were made in 1844. It was renovated in 1939 with the addition of two . . . — Map (db m14320) HM
South Carolina (Fairfield County), Winnsboro — 20-16 — Fairfield Institute / Kelly Miller
On Congress Street 0.1 miles north of Palmer Street, on the right when traveling south.
[Fairfield Institute Side] This grade school and normal institute for blacks was founded in 1869 during Reconstruction by the Northern Presbyterian Church. The Reverend Willard Richardson was principal. In 1880, one-hundred of its students . . . — Map (db m14463) HM
South Carolina (Fairfield County), Winnsboro — 20-18 — First Methodist Church
On Congress Street at College Street, on the left when traveling south on Congress Street.
First United Methodist Church was established in 1808 under the leadership of the Rev. James Jenkins, an early circuit-riding minister, and John Buchanan, a captain in the Revolution. Pioneer American Methodist bishop Francis Asbury visited here . . . — Map (db m14284) HM
South Carolina (Fairfield County), Winnsboro — 20-3 — James Henry Carlisle
On Washington Street at Zion Street, on the right when traveling east on Washington Street.
Born in this house on May 24, 1825, the son of William and Mary Ann Carlisle, this noted teacher received his education at Mount Zion Institute and South Carolina College. A delegate in 1860 to the Secession Convention and a legislator in 1864, . . . — Map (db m14323) HM
South Carolina (Fairfield County), Winnsboro — James Wilson Hudson
On Hudson Street at Walnut Street, on the left when traveling east on Hudson Street.
(west face) M Z S 1777. JACOBO WILSON HUDSON, Montis Zion Collegii annos vigenti tres. singulari felicitate Præsidi. Multa præclara in tam longissimo curriculo et didicit et docuit. In literis eruditus, in . . . — Map (db m45128) HM
South Carolina (Fairfield County), Winnsboro — 20-13/202 — Mount Olivet ChurchAmerican Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site
On Mobley Highway (State Highway 20-20) 0.3 miles west of State Highway 200, on the right when traveling west.
Organized before 1785, this Presbyterian Church was originally known as Wolf Pit Church, later as Wateree, and was finally named Mt. Olivet in 1800. The Reverend William Martin, Covenanter minister licensed by the Reformed Presbytery of Scotland, . . . — Map (db m121865) HM
South Carolina (Fairfield County), Winnsboro — 20-12 — Mt. Zion Society
On Hudson Street at Walnut Street, on the left when traveling east on Hudson Street.
A social and benevolent group dedicated to the promotion of education, the Mt. Zion Society was organized in January 1777 at Charleston S.C. John Winn was its first president. By the 1780s the society had founded a school for boys in Winnsboro. . . . — Map (db m14285) HM
South Carolina (Fairfield County), Winnsboro — 20-22 — Saint John's Episcopal Church
On West Liberty Street at South Gadsden Street, on the left when traveling west on West Liberty Street.
(Front): Organized in 1839 and named for St. John's, Berkeley Parish, this was the third Episcopal church established north of Columbia. The Rev. Josiah Obear became its first rector in 1841, serving 1841-49 and 1875-82. The first . . . — Map (db m47542) HM
South Carolina (Fairfield County), Winnsboro — South East Asia
On Hudson Street at Zion Street, on the left when traveling east on Hudson Street.
In memory of those from Fairfield County who died in South East Asia in the service of their country Darvin Flanders Johnny Branham Robert Simmons Abraham Harris Moses Mickle James Thomas Arthur Sloan, Jr. Harold M. Renwick, Jr. . . . — Map (db m14308) HM
South Carolina (Fairfield County), Winnsboro — 20-21 — St. Paul Baptist Church
On Garden Street 0.1 miles south of Fairfield Street, on the right when traveling south.
This African-American church was organized in 1873 by Simon McIntosh, Henry Golden, Lily Yarborough, Frances Kelly, Lizzie Hart, and others. The first pastor, Rev. Daniel Golden, served 1873-1891. The first sanctuary was built in 1876. The present . . . — Map (db m14465) HM
South Carolina (Fairfield County), Winnsboro — Town Clock
Near Congress Street at Washington Street, on the left when traveling south.
In memory of those early citizens of Winnsborough whose civic spirit prompted them to erect this town clock in the year of our Lord - 1833 — Map (db m14319) HM
South Carolina (Fairfield County), Winnsboro — 20-4 — William Porcher Dubose
On Congress Street 0.1 miles south of College Street, on the left when traveling south.
This noted author-theologian, born at this site April 11, 1836, educated at Mt. Zion Institute, the Citadel, and the University of Virginia, served as an officer and a chaplain in the Confederate War. He was Rector in Winnsboro and Abbeville, and in . . . — Map (db m14317) HM
South Carolina (Fairfield County), Winnsboro — World War1914 - 1918
On Hudson Street 0.1 miles east of Zion Street, on the left when traveling east.
Dedicated to those of Fairfield County who served their country in the World War and in memory of those who made the supreme sacrifice — Map (db m14309) HM
South Carolina (Fairfield County), Winnsboro — Wynne DeeBratton Place — Circa 1780 —
On Bratton Street at Zion Street, on the right when traveling west on Bratton Street.
Built by Richard Winn, for whom Winnsboro was named, on a land grant from King George III. Deeded in 1865 as a wedding gift to his daughter Christina and Dr. William Bratton. Was the home of General John Bratton during the Confederacy. Now the home . . . — Map (db m14315) HM

30 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement