Atlantic Beach, nicknamed "The Black Pearl," was established about 1934 as an oceanfront community for blacks denied access to other area beaches by segregation. Many became year-round residents, but most spent their vacations here. From the 1930s . . . — — Map (db m23511) HM
This school, built in 1953, was one of the many African-American schools built by the equalization program of Gov. James F. Byrnes, intended to preserve school segregation by building new schools for black children. Students in grades 1-7, who had . . . — — Map (db m40276) HM
Sonny’s Pavilion, built in 1949 by N.F. “Sonny” Nixon, was an open-air pavilion on the Grand Strand. The rhythm & blues of the post-World War II era—later called beach music—was played on jukeboxes at area pavilions where . . . — — Map (db m27329) HM
1845–1929 A pioneer who devoted his life to the religious and social welfare of his town and county. • A benefactor to rich and poor who gave wholeheartedly of his time and talents to the enrichment of his fellow man. • A staunch Christian . . . — — Map (db m848) HM
[Front] Coastal Carolina University was founded in 1954 as Coastal Carolina Junior College, holding evening classes in Conway High School 1954-1963. Its first enrollment numbered 53 students. Originally sponsored by the College of Charleston . . . — — Map (db m36813) HM
Conway High School was located here from 1929 to 1979. A two-story brick Classical Revival building, its cornerstone was laid in 1928 and the building was completed in 1929. Classes began that fall. Coastal Carolina Junior College (now Coastal . . . — — Map (db m36818) HM
Methodist Bishop Francis
Asbury’s many visits to
Kingston (Conway) between
1785 and 1815 preceded the organization of a Methodist congregation here. Land was
obtained in 1842 and the
first church building was
constructed here in 1844.
Still . . . — — Map (db m11259) HM
A Presbyterian congregation
existed here in the village
of Kingston by 1756. Its
meetinghouse was on this
site but by 1795 the
congregation had apparently
disbanded. In 1855 a
proposal to reestablish
a Presbyterian church in the
town was . . . — — Map (db m11260) HM
By 1733, Kingston Township
had been “marked out”
in this area, and by 1737
the town of Kingston was
in existence. Since many
landowners were non-residents, the township
did not flourish. In 1801,
the town was . . . — — Map (db m11291) HM
Peter Horry. A planter of French Huguenot descent, Peter Horry (O-ree) was born in SC ca. 1747. A lieutenant colonel in the Revolution and later brigadier general in the SC Militia, he represented Prince George Winyah in the SC House and Senate. . . . — — Map (db m11262) HM
The historic brick for this park was donated in memory of Martha Ann Ray by her family, Allen L., JoAnn and Gregory Allen Ray.
The brick was acquired by the Ray Family in 1969 when the St. John’s Hotel (circa 1836) in Charleston, South . . . — — Map (db m102273) HM
In 1792 Galivants Ferry was named for Richard Gallevan, owner of ferry rights for Elirsee's Landing on the Little Pee Dee River. The ferry was an important crossing on the road to Conwayborough, the county seat, later renamed . . . — — Map (db m35) HM
The Galivants Ferry Stump Meeting, a Democratic Party tradition, has been held here in the spring every two years since 1880. Sponsored by the Holiday family, its origins are associated with Wade Hampton's 1876 appearance. Hampton, a former . . . — — Map (db m23623) HM
U.S. 501 – Galivants Ferry to Conway. Named in 1979 in honor of Joseph William Holliday, leader in Naval Stores Industry and Commissioner of Horry County (Elected 1870); born 1827–died 1904.
George Judson Holliday, Planter, Merchant, . . . — — Map (db m37946) HM
This church was organized in 1894 by founders Antey Graham, Beney Graham, Samuel Graham, Will Hill, and Ben Wilson, and later became a member of the Kingston lake Association. The first sanctuary, a frame building, was build about 1913 and located . . . — — Map (db m847) HM
[Marker Front] This church, known as Honey Camp Baptist Church until 1924, was founded in 1807. It is the mother church to several Baptist churches in eastern S.C., including Spring Branch (1830), Pleasant View (1875), Mt. Zion (1887), Mt. . . . — — Map (db m26753) HM
During the colonial era the Boundary House, on the S.C.-N.C. line 1.3 mi. SE, was both a private residence and “public house.” In 1775 Isaac Marion (d. 1781), eldest brother of future partisan leader Gen. Francis Marion, lived there. On . . . — — Map (db m5345) HM
Chestnut Consolidated Schools, which was located here 1954-1970, was built under the equalization program of Gov. James F. Byrnes, intended to preserve segregation by building new schools for blacks. Named to honor Horry County educator J.T. . . . — — Map (db m52518) HM
On Jan. 1, 1740, George Whitefield, a fiery disciple of Methodists John and Charles Wesley preached at a tavern near here. Observing patrons dancing, Whitefield exhorted them against that vice. Soon the dancers stopped and allowed Whitefield to . . . — — Map (db m16373) HM
In memory of Rebecca Randall Bryan. “On March 22, 1856, Thomas Randall conveyed to Abraham W. Bessent and John S. Thomas, trustees of the Baptist Church, this plot of ground, with title to exist for so long as it continued a location of . . . — — Map (db m16805) HM
Loris Training School, which stood here from 1928 to 1955, was the first school for black students in Loris and other nearby communities. Built at a cost of $4,700, it was one of more than 5000 schools in the South funded in . . . — — Map (db m26754) HM
This stretch of our Marshwalk is dedicated to the Murrells Inlet boat captains of the past who established the fishing industry that we depend upon today. Early in the 20th century, seagoing inlet captains began to take small parties out for . . . — — Map (db m100705) HM
St. James Rosenwald School, which stood here from the late 1920s until the early 1970s, was one of several African-American schools in Horry County funded in part by the Julius Rosenwald Foundation. Rev. Smart Small, Sr. . . . — — Map (db m27331) HM
Hospital care was one of the integral missions of the newly created U. S. Army Air Base on land donated by the City of Myrtle Beach. As the base was built at the outset of World War II, the hospital was located about one mile east of here in an . . . — — Map (db m102235) HM WM
In 1948, the War Assets Administration transferred to the Town of Myrtle Beach the Army Air Base. Since the maintenance and operation of an airport is a year-round proposition, it was easy to see that the town had embarked upon a big venture. When . . . — — Map (db m102148) HM
The 354th Day Fighter Wing was originally composed of three fighting squadrons — the 353rd, 355th and 356th Day Fighter Squadrons. In 1957, an Air Force-wide reorganization of flying units reduced the number of F-100s assigned to the Myrtle . . . — — Map (db m102151) WM
The 353rd Tactical Fighter squadron was formed on November 15, 1942. During World War II the fighter squadron was known as the "Fighting Cobras,“ and served with distinction in England, France and Germany, flying the P-39, P-51 and P-47 . . . — — Map (db m102103) WM
On November 19, 1956, the Air Force resurrected the unit as the 354th Fighter-Day Group and stationed it at Myrtle Beach Air Force Base. It was then re-designated the 354th Tactical Fighter Wing in July 1958, flying the RF-80, and during 1959 began . . . — — Map (db m102127) WM
In August 1990, the 354th was once again deployed for combat operations this time in the Persian Gulf in support of Operation Desert Shield. By the end of the conflict, the 354th's A-10s were credited with destroying 950 tanks, 900 artillery . . . — — Map (db m102163) WM
The 354th Fighter Wing has a long and distinguished past. The wing saw action in every major conflict in which the United States was involved, except for the Korean War. Activated at Hamilton Field in California on November 15, 1942, as the 354th . . . — — Map (db m102125) WM
The 354th Tactical Fighter Wing (TFW) had its genesis as the 354th Fighter Group (FG) in November 1942 at Hamilton Field, California. In October 1943, it was moved to England and began aerial combat operations flying P-51s. In November 1944, it . . . — — Map (db m102126) WM
During the period that A-7Ds operated at the Myrtle Beach Air Force Base, the tactical fighter squadrons carried out important peace time deployment and reinforcement responsibilities in three key theaters of operation. In the European Theater, . . . — — Map (db m102150) HM WM
November 1956 saw the reactivation of the 356th as the "Green Demons" at Myrtle Beach Air Force Base, flying the F-100D Super Sabre. The 356th participated in numerous deployments to Europe during the late 1950s and early 1960s, and also deployed . . . — — Map (db m102101) WM
The 356th Tactical Fighter Squadron Operations (Green Demons), building 347, was located in the area now occupied by the Myrtle Beach Police Department office and Training Facility. The 356th Tactical Fighter Squadron was activated in November . . . — — Map (db m102102) WM
The A-10 Thunderbolt II was assigned to the Myrtle Beach Air Force Base from 1977 to 1993. It was manufactured by the Fairchild Republic Corporation and traces its name, Thunderbolt II, back to the Republic Aircraft Corporation's Army Air Corps . . . — — Map (db m102152) WM
Named after a type of pirate vessel the Corsair was the United States Navy's famed F-4U fighter aircraft of World War II. It was manufactured by the Chance Vought Corporation, which eventually became the LTV Corporation and manufacturer of the . . . — — Map (db m102153) WM
In the Fall of 1956, officers and airmen from the United States Air Force were assigned to newly constructed Myrtle Beach Air Force Base to start a new fighter wing. Their task was reactivation of the famous World War II “Pioneer Mustang . . . — — Map (db m102124) WM
The Airmen’s Dining Hall, building 245, a large facility capable of simultaneous feeding of several hundred airmen, was located in this area of The Market Common.
The Dining Hall was centrally located with respect to the Airmen’s Dormitory . . . — — Map (db m120506) HM
Settlers from the Waccamaw Neck attempted to extend thei plantations to what was called Long Bay. Many families received land in 1735 just south of the Withers Swash when the colonial government began issuing grants. Independent farmers and . . . — — Map (db m102106) HM
The Audio Visual Facility, building 502, at this location provided a complete line of audio visual services in support of all of the units on the base.
The facility was equipped with two darkrooms for photography work and had the capability to . . . — — Map (db m113446) HM
The Auto Craft Center, building 255, was located on Wainwright Boulevard, now Johnson Avenue. The building was constructed in 1962.
The Auto Craft Center offered a wide range of services and had a large selection of equipment and tools. The . . . — — Map (db m113445) HM
The Aircraft Avionics Maintenance shops, building 325, were housed in an environmentally controlled building near this location. The Avionics Squadron administrative offices were located in this building.
The shops contained a full complement . . . — — Map (db m113455) HM
The Base Civil Engineering Complex, building 219, was located within this area of The Market Common. It contained the Base Civil Engineering Administrative Offices, specialty maintenance shops and storage for material used in maintaining base . . . — — Map (db m113453) HM
Base Supply, building 214, contained 154,000 square feet of space. This building housed the administrative offices of the Supply Squadron. It also provided storage for the hundreds of items used in carrying out all Base functions, as well as . . . — — Map (db m113444) HM
Located across the street from the hospital on Pampas Drive, the bowling center, building 132, was constructed in 1961.
The center offered many hours of fun and relaxation. The 18-lane center offered league bowling each weekday evening, while . . . — — Map (db m113487) HM
General Howard was the only fighter pilot awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor for heroic combat flying in the European Theater of Operations during World War II.
While flying his P-51 on a bomber escort mission near Berlin in 1944, he . . . — — Map (db m102039) WM
General Howard was the only ﬁghter pilot awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor for heroic combat ﬂying in the European Theater of Operations during World War II.
While ﬂying his P-51 on a bomber escort mission near . . . — — Map (db m113454) HM
General Hall served at Myrtle Beach Air Force Base as Commander of the 354th Tactical Fighter Wing during the period April 1984 to January 1986. He is a native of Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, and earned a bachelor's degree from the University of . . . — — Map (db m102767) WM
General Jenkins served at Myrtle Beach Air Force Base as Vice Commander and then Commander of the 354th Tactical Fighter Wing from August 1987 to March 1990. He accumulated more than 3,100 flying hours in tactical fighter aircraft, including the . . . — — Map (db m102230) HM WM
Brigadier General Thomas M. Knoles, a command pilot in the United States Air Force, was born in 1927 in Flagstaff, Arizona, and graduated from Flagstaff High School in 1945. He attended the University of Arizona prior to enlisting in the Army Air . . . — — Map (db m102100) WM
Captain Paul Johnson of Dresden, Tennessee, was a pilot with the 354th Tactical Fighter Wing, Myrtle Beach Air Force Base, during the Desert Storm Combat Operations over Iraq. On January 21, 1991, Captain Johnson flying an A-10 was tasked with a . . . — — Map (db m102196) WM
Captain Stephen Phillis, a native of Rock Island, Illinois, was an A-10 pilot at the Myrtle Beach Air Force Base during the time when the United States military was preparing for Operation Desert Storm in response to the lraqi occupation of Kuwait. . . . — — Map (db m102041) WM
Captain Stephen Phillis, a native of Rock Island, Illinois, was an A-10 pilot at the Myrtle Beach Air Force Base during the time when the United States military was preparing for Operation Desert Storm in response to the Iraqi occupation of Kuwait. . . . — — Map (db m113456) HM
This is the site of the former Myrtle Beach Air Force Base Chapel, building 112, located on what was then Third Street and Farrow Boulevard.
The Base Chapel program supported both Protestant and Catholic religious education programs and . . . — — Map (db m113486) HM
Chaplain Baldwin served as the Senior Installation Chaplain at Mytle Beach Air Force Base during the period June 1989 to 1992. During this period he also accompanied the 354th Tactical Fighter Wing on deployment to King Fahad International Airport, . . . — — Map (db m102237) HM WM
Chief Master Sergeant James Cope
Chief Master Sergeant James Cope was 1st Sergeant in the 356th Fighter squadron and the 354th Armament and Electronics Squadron. Chief Master Sergeant (CMSgt) is the ninth, and highest, enlisted rank in the . . . — — Map (db m102231) HM WM
Chief Master Sergeant Jimmy E. Davis is a native of Georgetown County, South Carolina. He graduated from Winyah High School in Georgetown, South Carolina, and enlisted in the United States Air Force shortly thereafter. After completing basic . . . — — Map (db m102229) HM WM
In 1961, Dominican Republic Dictator Raphael Trujillo was assassinated. In the following years, turmoil and conflict were the order of the day on the island. President John F. Kennedy made it clear that it was time for democracy in the Dominican . . . — — Map (db m102073) WM
Colonel Branch was born and raised in south Texas where he learned to fly in a Piper Cub. In 1951, he joined the United States Air Force and was commissioned and rated as pilot in 1952. He completed advanced training in the F-86 and was sent to . . . — — Map (db m102239) HM WM
Colonel Cook was born in Pennington, New Jersey, in 1921. He attended Randolph Macon Academy in Virginia and graduated Bucknell University in 1942. He enlisted in the Army Air Corps in 1942 and was commissioned a Second Lieutenant in 1943. Upon . . . — — Map (db m102228) HM WM
Colonel Charles M. "Charlie" Thrash was stationed at Myrtle Beach Air Force Base on three different occasions. During these three tours he filled nearly every flying-related leadership position in the 354th Tactical Fighter Wing and amassed more . . . — — Map (db m102238) HM WM
Colonel Brown is a native of Elizabethtown, North Carolina. He graduated from the United States Air Force Academy in 1978.
After completing pilot training at Laughlin Air Force Base in Del Rio, Texas, he was assigned to Myrtle Beach Air Force . . . — — Map (db m113440) HM
Colonel Deville, was born and raised in Eunice, Louisiana, in the heart of Cajun country. He received his bachelor's degree in industrial technology from Louisiana State University and his masters in business management from Georgia College. . . . — — Map (db m102104) WM
Francis S. “Gabby” Gabreski was born and raised in Oil City, Pennsylvania, joined the Army Air Corps in 1940, and graduated from pilot training as a Second Lieutenant in March 1941. He was serving in Hawaii during the “Day of . . . — — Map (db m119903) HM
Colonel Joseph R. Nevers had an illustrious military career spanning 35 years. He was renowned as a fighter pilot having accumulated more than 7,700 flying hours in such aircraft as the F-86, F-100 and the F-104. In fact, his 4,885 flying hours in . . . — — Map (db m102299) HM WM
Colonel Joseph S. Barton was stationed at Myrtle Beach Air Force Base from August 1988 until the base closed in March 1992. His first association with the base was as an ROTC cadet from the University of Georgia at Summer Camp in the summer of . . . — — Map (db m119134) HM
Captain Robert F. Pasqualicchio was part of the initial cadre that opened Myrtle Beach Air Base in 1956 and was the first commander of the newly formed 356th Fighter squadron of the 354th Fighter Group. He enlisted in the United States Army Air . . . — — Map (db m102232) HM WM
Colonel Styers served in the United States Air Force for 26 years retiring in September 1992.
In August 1995, Colonel Styers became the Executive Director of the Myrtle Beach Air Force Base Redevelopment Authority, established by the South . . . — — Map (db m113449) HM
Colonel Lewis was born on Christmas Eve 1919, in Superior, lowa. When the war broke out in Europe, he joined the Royal Canadian Air Force and then later transferred to the United States Army Air Corps. He was assigned to fly P-38 aircraft . . . — — Map (db m102298) HM WM
Crabtree gymnasium, building 256, is located on Meyers Avenue.
The building is named for Clem Gerald Crabtree who served as head of Morale, Welfare and Recreation at Myrtle Beach Air Force Base. He died while still working there, and in 1982 . . . — — Map (db m113483) HM
For more than a decade, the 354th Tactical Fighter Squadron conducted routine A-10 training missions which included numerous deployments and exercises. That routine came to an abrupt end in August 1990, when the 354th Tactical Fighter Wing was . . . — — Map (db m102066) WM
This is the site of the former Dormitory Complex, buildings 241-249, which consisted of 10 dorms and a dining hall.
Seven three-story dormitories offered 74 rooms per building. Each housed approximately 140 bachelor airmen.
All dorms had . . . — — Map (db m120505) HM
Let this empty chair serve as a memorial to those who
served our great Nation, but have never returned to us.
They are Prisoners Of War and our Missing In Action
City of Myrtle Beach
Rolling Thunder, Inc.
South . . . — — Map (db m102134) WM
The F-100 D/F was assigned to the 354th Fighter Day Wing, Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, early in 1957. It continued to be flown by the Wing through many deployments around the world. The wing squadrons were sent to Vietnam with the F-100s. . . . — — Map (db m102154) WM
Battlefield tank-killer, heavily armored and built around a powerful 30 mm gun and its enormous munition drum. The large unswept wing, the two turbofan engines in pods on top of the fuselage, and twin tailfins are all designed to keep the A-10 . . . — — Map (db m23620) HM
Honored by the Grand Strand
June 28, 2008
Wolmi-Do Island Pusan
Seoul Chosin Reservoir
June 25, 1950 - July 27, 1953
Rolling Thunder, Inc. . . . — — Map (db m102133) WM
General Bruce Carlson is a native of Hibbing, Minnesota, and is a graduate of the University of Minnesota. While at the University, he completed the Air Force ROTC (Reserve Officer's Training Corps) program as a distinguished graduate. After . . . — — Map (db m102192) WM
General Carns served at the Myrtle Beach Air Force Base as Commander of the 354th Tactical Fighter Wing from March 1979 to October 1980. During this period, he developed and implemented a unique combat readiness training program centered on . . . — — Map (db m113438) HM
General Reed was born in Elkhorn City, Kentucky. He earned a bachelor of arts degree in international relations from Syracuse University, New York, in 1959 and a master of public administration degree from The George Washington University in 1965. . . . — — Map (db m113448) HM
The phrase “Grand Strand” is often seen or heard while vacationing in Myrtle Beach. Grand Strand refers to the virtually uninterrupted 60 mile stretch of beach between Georgetown and Little River, SC. Each of the many . . . — — Map (db m100734) HM
On August 7, 1782, the Badge of Military Merit was first announced to the Continental Army at the Headquarters in Newburgh, NY. Designed by Washington in the form of a purple heart, it was intended as a military order for soldiers who displayed . . . — — Map (db m102190) WM
Hoyt Hendrick was employed at the Myrtle Beach Air Force Base in 1955 as civil engineer for the United States Army Corps of Engineers, which was preparing the Myrtle Beach municipal airfield to become a major Air Force Base. In 1958, he transferred . . . — — Map (db m102227) HM WM
Oct. 15, 1954
On the afternoon on the 15th emerging to find their physical and economic world shattered, local residents could not have envisioned that their resolve to rebuild would set their provincial resort of small, family . . . — — Map (db m100719) HM
Oct. 15, 1954
Hurricane Hazel made landfall at 9:15am 30 miles north of Myrtle Beach. Wind gusts of 160 mph and sustained winds of 140 mph coupled with an abnormally high lunar tide resulted in an 18 foot storm surge. 80% of the . . . — — Map (db m100723) HM
Sept. 22, 1989
Hurricane Hugo, a Category 4 Tropical Cyclone with sustained winds of 138 mph, made landfall 100 miles to the south near Charleston, SC. Hugo was so intense a storm it ravaged the coast far from its center. The Grand . . . — — Map (db m100724) HM
Jack Walker, the oldest of six children, grew up in Columbia, SC and knew he wanted to be involved in planning from an early age. He graduated from Clemson University with a degree in architecture with a goal of getting into planning while having a . . . — — Map (db m102300) HM
Joe W. Blizzard was born October 19, 1915 in Dillon, South Carolina. He was South Carolina's youngest amateur golf champion at just 16. He attended Clemson College and Furman College in South Carolina.
During World War II, he served with the . . . — — Map (db m102105) HM
Justin W. Plyler
Dedicated during the Sun Fun Festival,
June 3, 2005
Justin Whitaker Plyler was an early visionary who loved Myrtle Beach and saw what it could become. In the 1940s, he dreamed of a reasonably priced destination . . . — — Map (db m100733) HM
The Law Center, building 234, was located in this area of The Market Common. It housed the Staff Judge Advocate and the lawyers assigned to the judge’s staff. The building also contained the court room used in those cases involving trial by court . . . — — Map (db m113447) HM
Lieutenant Colonel (then Captain) Anthony "Tony" Shine, a native of Pleasantville, NY, was a member of the 355th Tactical Fighter Squadron when the A-7D he was piloting disappeared beneath a cloud covering over the border of North Vietnam and Laos. . . . — — Map (db m102037) HM
Lieutenant Colonel (then Captain) Anthony "Tony" Shine, a native of Pleasantville, NY, was a member of the 355th Tactical Fighter Squadron when the A-7D he was piloting disappeared beneath a cloud covering over the border of North Vietnam and Laos. . . . — — Map (db m102195) WM
Lieutenant Colonel Rutherford, a native of Montgomery, Alabama, was a Command fighter pilot in the United States Air Force and the District of Columbia National Guard for more than 30 years. He was stationed at Myrtle Beach Air Force Base four . . . — — Map (db m102225) WM
General Rosa served at the Myrtle Beach Air Force Base as an A-7 and A-10 pilot in the 353rd Tactical Fighter squadron during the period of July 1975 to August 1980. He holds an undergraduate degree from The Citadel, Charleston, South Carolina, and . . . — — Map (db m102194) WM
Lieutenant William Farrow, a Darlington, South Carolina, native, was a member of the famed Doolittle Tokyo Raiders. This daring raid against the capital of Japan was the first major attack on the Japanese homeland in World War II. After completing . . . — — Map (db m102099) WM
Lt Col Colin Arnold "Arnie" Clarke was born on August 31, 1935, in Seattle, Washington.
Lt Col Clarke accumulated several hundred flying hours in United States Air Force aircraft, most notably the F-100 Super Sabre and the A-7D Corsair II. He . . . — — Map (db m102067) WM
The A-7 is a straightforward, shoulder-wing aircraft with swept flight surfaces, provision for inflight refueling, and narrow-track tricycle landing gear.
The A-7 is armed with a single M61A1 Vulcan 20-mm cannon, routinely carries two AIM-7L . . . — — Map (db m23621) HM
Major General Sharpe was vice commander, then commander, of the 354th Tactical Fighter Wing at Myrtle Beach Air Force Base during the period of January 1988 to June 1991. During a portion of this time, he deployed with the Wing and A-10 aircraft . . . — — Map (db m102193) WM
General Gilbert Meyers entered military service in 1936. He completed his pilot training in 1938 and was assigned the Eighth Pursuit Group at Langley Field, Virginia. His distinguished career contained many firsts. During the early part of World . . . — — Map (db m102296) HM WM
Born in Marion, Virginia, General James Hackler grew up in Wilmington, North Carolina. He attended the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and graduated from the United States Military Academy in 1943. He was then assigned to the European . . . — — Map (db m102036) WM
General Kruzel served a the Myrtle Beach Air Force Base as Vice Commander and then Commander of the 354th Tactical Fighter Wing during the period July 1961 to April 1963. He graduated from the University of Scranton in Scranton, Pennsylvania in . . . — — Map (db m102233) HM WM
Marine Amphibious Assault
In April of 1864 the footprints in the sand before you would have included those of Union Marines. On April 23, embarking in longboats from the USS Ethan Allen, marine raiders landed without being engaged at Cane . . . — — Map (db m100721) HM
Mayors of Myrtle Beach
1938 – 1939 W. L. Harrelson
1939 – 1941 Ben M. Graham
1941 – 1943 W. L. Harrelson
1943 – 1947 O. C. Callaway
1947 – 1949 H.W. Tallevast
1949 – 1954 J. N. Ramsey . . . — — Map (db m102132) HM WM
In Memory and to Honor
All Men of The Merchant Marine
Lest We Forget
The John T. Schmidt Palmetto Mariners
Chapter of South Carolina
In Peace And War
Dedicated 2016 — — Map (db m102136) WM
The military aircraft nose art is an American tradition dating back to WWII. Living in uncertainty and tension, wartime servicemen found value in naming their aircraft. During WWII, the practice evolved into creating an image to accompany the name. . . . — — Map (db m102165) WM
As early as 1673, there is a record of a light burning at what was then known as Charles Towne colony. On May 30, 1767, the cornerstone for a new light was laid on a group of three small islands then referred to as Middle Bay Island. The Charles . . . — — Map (db m16465) HM
Located near the exchange complex, the movie theater, building 116, was constructed in 1956.
The theater provided a wide selection of motion picture entertainment, including the latest released films, to military people and their families. A . . . — — Map (db m113489) HM
Mr. Fred Nash, at age 71, distinguished himself by heroism involving voluntary risk of life on August 18, 1958 at Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. On that date, Mr. Nash observed an Air Force T-33 aircraft crash land and burst into flames at the . . . — — Map (db m102068) HM WM
Among the unsung heroes were the civilians who worked at the Myrtle Beach Air Force Base. Mrs. Wilma Tirrell, also known as “Miss Wilma,” is a native of Horry County who grew up on a tobacco farm about ﬁve miles south of Aynor. . . . — — Map (db m113490) HM
To commemorate the history of the Myrtle Beach Air Force Base and the people who were a part of it, the City of Myrtle Beach and the Myrtle Beach Air Force Base Redevelopment Authority erected a signage program to capture and display the history. . . . — — Map (db m102035) WM
To commemorate the history of the Myrtle Beach Air Force Base and the people who were a part of it, the City of Myrtle Beach and the Myrtle Beach Air Force Base Redevelopment Authority erected a signage program to capture and display the history. . . . — — Map (db m102162) HM WM
Throughout the mid-1980s, the 353rd, 355th and 356th Tactical Fighter Squadrons deployed overseas to further refine the Wing's combat training initiatives. Deployments were conducted to Germany, England, Egypt, Korea, Hawaii, Cuba and Puerto Rico. . . . — — Map (db m102149) WM
The very beginning of a military base in Myrtle Beach can be traced to a meeting of the Myrtle Beach Town Council on October 16, 1939. At that meeting, the Council agreed to purchase 135 acres for a municipal airport, and at the next meeting, named . . . — — Map (db m102109) HM WM
In 1994, the Governor of South Carolina eliminated the Air Base Redevelopment Commission and created the Air Force Base Redevelopment Authority to oversee the disposition of federal property that has been or will be turned over to the State or to . . . — — Map (db m102302) HM
Sadly, and with much controversy, the Myrtle Beach Air Force Base was designated for closure as a result of provisions contained within the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 1991 (Title XXIX of Public Law 101-510). The base . . . — — Map (db m102303) HM
The Myrtle Beach Air Force Base Redevelopment Task Force hired EDAW, Inc., from Alexandria, Virginia, as the prime contractor of the reuse consultant team. EDAW Inc., created the Myrtle Beach Air Force Base Community Development Plan in January . . . — — Map (db m102304) HM
Myrtle Beach Army Air Field.
Myrtle Beach Army Air Field operated here 1940-47 and grew out of city plans to expand the municipal airport from two grass landing strips to a more permanent facility. In 1940-41 the U.S. Army Air Corps trained . . . — — Map (db m23506) HM
Myrtle Beach Colored School stood here from the early 1930s to 2001. The first public school for African-American students in Myrtle Beach, it was a six-room frame building similar to the schools funded in part by the Julius . . . — — Map (db m23510) HM
A succession of four beach pavilions stood here or nearby from 1902 to 2006, all built by the Burroughs & Chapin Co. or the Myrtle Beach Farms Co. The first, built in 1902, was a simple oceanfront shelter. The second, built in 1907, was a frame . . . — — Map (db m36810) HM
In honor of Daniel Wayne Nance and Mary Ellen Todd Nance for their significant contributions to Myrtle Beach’s early civic, business and religious growth.
A master builder, Daniel Wayne Nance was responsible for many downtown buildings near . . . — — Map (db m37989) HM
This is the site of building 120, the former Non-Commissioned Ofﬁcers Open Mess.
The NCO Open Mess provided enlisted members a place to go to socialize and relax. The club featured a modern, well decorated ballroom and cocktail lounge, . . . — — Map (db m113479) HM
This is the site of the former Ofﬁcers Open Mess, building 124, constructed in 1956. The Ofﬁcers Open Mess was located near the Ofﬁcers Billeting Quarters and the Base Family Housing Complex.
The building was complete with . . . — — Map (db m113481) HM
P-51 Mustang is the nickname for the deadliest and greatest air-to-air fighter aircraft of World War II. At the beginning of World War II, England desperately needed some fighter aircraft and sought to buy several Curtiss P-40 "Warhawk" fighters . . . — — Map (db m102159) WM
On May 17, 1974, Major Anthony Shine was honored in ceremonies at the Base Chapel. The event was the dedication of a Freedom Tree to honor not only Major Shine, but also those who were prisoners of war and those who are still missing in action. The . . . — — Map (db m102042) WM
Address by General O.P. Weyland, United States Air Force Commander, Tactical Air Command at Reactivation of 354th Fighter Day Wing Ceremony Myrtle Beach Air Force Base, Myrtle Beach, South Carolina December 7, 1956
Governor Timmerman, Mayor . . . — — Map (db m102129) WM
The Recreation Center, Service Club and Library were all housed in building 117. The recreation center was the hub of all recreation activities for the entire Air Force community in the Myrtle Beach area. The award winning facility took pride in . . . — — Map (db m119905) HM
On April 22, 1968, the 354th Tactical Fighter Wing was replaced at Myrtle Beach Air Force Base by the 113th Tactical Fighter Wing, a former District of Columbia Air National Guard (ANG) unit which had been recalled to active duty January 26, 1968. . . . — — Map (db m102130) WM
Used to tan leather, preserve food and as a dietary supplement, salt was a necessary commodity for the southern war effort. To meet demand, salt works operated all along the Confederacy’s Atlantic & Gulf coasts. Seawater . . . — — Map (db m100722) HM
In Memory of
Manzy Avender Gause
Jan. 18, 1892 Oct. 26, 1966
Myrtle Spivey Gause
Sept. 13, 1893 Nov. 22, 1970
Site Of The Seaside Hotel
Manzy And Myrtie were instrumental in the dreams and creation of early Myrtle Beach's hospitality . . . — — Map (db m100735) HM
In March 1942, units of the United States Army Air Corps opened formal operations at what was named the Myrtle Beach Bombing and Gunnery Training Range, which also encompassed the Beach airport. Construction began to meet the urgent needs for . . . — — Map (db m102128) WM
The four fighter squadrons of the 354th Tactical Fighter Wing were intimately involved in the Cold War from the time the Wing became combat ready until it was deployed to the Pacific Theater during the Vietnam War. From 1958 through 1965, the Wing . . . — — Map (db m102071) WM
After its re-activation at Myrtle Beach Air Force Base in 1956, the 354th Tactical Fighter Wing achieved "combat ready" status on July 1, 1958. During the next eight years, in addition to maintaining tactical fighter squadrons on rotational duty . . . — — Map (db m102098) WM
By many accounts, the 1962 Cuban Missile Crisis was the nearest the world has come to nuclear war. In the summer of 1962, Soviet Premier Nikita Khrushchev secretly decided to install intermediate range ballistic missiles in Cuba to counter an . . . — — Map (db m102069) WM
On 19 November 1956, after more than 10 years of inactive status, the 354 Fighter Group was reactivated at Myrtle Beach AFB. The first maintenance training aircraft was flown in on 7 December 1956 by the Fighter Day Wing Commander, Colonel Francis . . . — — Map (db m23622) HM
Between 1933 and 1945 Germany's dictator
Adolf Hitler organized and enforced Nazi policies
that ended individual freedom of speech,
freedom of the press, freedom of assembly,
and the right to privacy.
By May 1945, . . . — — Map (db m119909) HM WM
The King’s Highway
By the mid 1700’s a 1,300 mile continuous road linked all thirteen colonies. Called the “King’s Highway” the thoroughfare stretched from Boston, Massachusetts to Charles Town, South Carolina. It took at least . . . — — Map (db m100720) HM
The highest award that the United States Air Force can bestow upon an individual for heroic action during combat is the Air Force Cross.
A pilot from the 354th Tactical Fighter Wing, Myrtle Beach Air Force Base, earned that award for his heroic . . . — — Map (db m102065) WM
From 1968-1970, the 113th Tactical Fighter Wing trained F-100 pilots for combat in Vietnam. Non-combat pilots were upgraded to F-100 fighter pilots in this RTU Replacement Training Unit. In 1968, the 355th's "Fightin' Falcons" received deployment . . . — — Map (db m102074) WM
Single and unaccompanied married officers arriving for duty were provided billeting in the Visiting Officers Quarters/Bachelor Officers Quarters in building 126.
Two buildings were set aside for this purpose. The larger building could . . . — — Map (db m113482) HM
This sculpture, by Doctor Richard A. Fahy, was presented to the Grand Strand PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder) Group in early 2012. It was dedicated on Memorial Day, 28 May 2012. The sculpture represents the indomitable spirit of the . . . — — Map (db m102164) WM
On April 27, 1791, President George Washington spent the night nearby at the indigo plantation of Jeremiah Vereen. He wrote in his diary that he was “entertained (& very kindly) without being able to make compensation.” The next day . . . — — Map (db m27332) HM
On-base family housing, Woodland Park, was constructed in 1959. The houses featured modern, attractive, all-electric homes convenient to the base property, yet all-electric home situated to minimize aircraft and traffic noise. The housing area . . . — — Map (db m102236) HM WM
One of the first missions to be carried out at the base was that of coastal defense in the wake of the United States' entry into World War II. The dominant wartime mission of the base was training air crews for combat duty. Several bombing and . . . — — Map (db m102123) WM
Located about 5 miles E. of here, this Confederate fort included a blockhouse pierced for musketry and earthworks surrounded by a ditch about 10 ft. broad and 5 ft. deep. The fort was captured Jan 1863 by U.S. Navy Lt. Wm. B. Cushing and twenty-five . . . — — Map (db m849) HM
Roberts Pavilion 1936–1954The Roberts Pavilion, built in 1936 by William Roberts, was an early open-air oceanfront pavilion on the Grand Strand. The rhythm & blues of the post-World War II era—later called beach music—was . . . — — Map (db m11257) HM
The last section of a continuous inside passage along the eastern coast of the United States begun December 19, 1932. Completed April 3, 1936.
United States Corps of Engineers, W.G. Caples, Colonel, U.S.A. • Standard Dredging Co., Contractor; . . . — — Map (db m853) HM
Socastee is a Native American name referred to as “Sawkastee” in a 1711 land grant to Percival Pawley. A skirmish between small forces of American and British troops occurred near Socastee Creek in 1781. By the 1870s, the Socastee . . . — — Map (db m855) HM
This church, originating with services held in a brush arbor, was formally organized by 1818. Its first sanctuary, a log building, was built here soon afterwards on land donated by Philip Elkes. The cemetery, dating from the 19th century, includes . . . — — Map (db m9982) HM
National Registry of Historic Places
Built in 1881
The Socastee Heritage Foundation
is preserving this property
in honor of our past generations
for the benefit of our future generations
Donations Accepted: . . . — — Map (db m108269) HM