One of the oldest settlements in Marion County, Britton's Neck lay between Great and Little Pee Dee Rivers extending northward from the mouth of Little Pee Dee. It was named for Francis, Timothy, Daniel, Moses, Joseph, and Philip . . . — — Map (db m45857) HM
From the time Col. Francis Marion took control of the Williamsburg Militia in August 1780 until the following spring, a network of camps in the area where the Great Pee Dee, Little Pee Dee, and Lynches Rivers meet formed a base of operations for his . . . — — Map (db m53901) HM
During the American Revolution Gen. Francis Marion (ca. 1732 ~ 1795), the most successful of the Patriot partisan leaders, made his camp and headquarters about 1.8 mi. SSW on Snow's Island. The island, named for settlers James and . . . — — Map (db m53692) HM
Perhaps no place is more closely associated with Francis Marion’s Revolutionary War career than his legendary camp on Snow’s Island, the large, thickly forested landmass in front of you across the Great Pee Dee River. With plenty of high, dry . . . — — Map (db m53900) HM
According to local tradition, three Methodist meeting houses of the area united c. 1835 to form Ebenezer. An early church building burned in 1855 and was replaced in 1856 by this present building which is listed in the National Register of . . . — — Map (db m27948) HM
“Bluefields,” named for the Blue family, was built by 1870. Annie Evans Blue (d.1912) was given this land in 1872 by her father William Evans (1804–1876), Marion District planter, militia general, and state representative. Annie . . . — — Map (db m24970) HM
On this site, located about ½ mile northeast, at least 500 Loyalists under the command of Major Micajah Ganey laid down their arms in accordance with a previous agreement made between Francis Marion and Ganey. This treaty signed June 8, 1782 at . . . — — Map (db m9983) HM
The Confederacy established a navy yard 1/4 mile NW about 1863 on the banks of the Great Pee Dee River.
Here, under the command of Lt. Van Renssalaer Morgan, a wooden gunboat, the C.S.S. Pee Dee, was built.
Launched by November 1864, it was burned . . . — — Map (db m45855) HM
Born St. John’s Parish, S. C., 1732. Died February 27, 1795. Buried Belle Isle Plantation, Berkeley County, S. C.
1759 — French and Indian War 1761 — Cherokee Uprising 1775 — Captain, 2nd S. C. Regiment 1775 — . . . — — Map (db m18082) HM
This building, the first public school in Marion County, was built in 1886 by the Marion Academy Society, chartered in 1811. The Society, which had operated a private school here for almost seventy-years, then turned the school over to the Marion . . . — — Map (db m25083) HM
Originally a part of colonial Craven County and Georgetown District of 1769, it was created as Liberty County by an Act of the General Assembly in 1785.
The name was changed to Marion District in 1798 and . . . — — Map (db m23627) HM
This one-story brick passenger depot, typical of the period, was built in 1908 for the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad. The first railroad through Marion was the Wilmington & Manchester Railroad, completed here in 1854 and later incorporated into the . . . — — Map (db m38027) HM
David E.Frierson of Harmony Presbytery first preached here at Marion Courthouse in 1841. The church was organized in Feb. 1852 with six charter members: Archibald and Margaret Carmichael of Little Pee Dee Church, Rebecca E. . . . — — Map (db m96624) HM
Named for the Moody family, members of which were buried here 1883 to 1903. Among others interred here are John Smith Sr., Revolutionary War veteran who owned an adjacent plantation, and Enos Tart Jr., who served Marion District as Sheriff, S.C. . . . — — Map (db m9984) HM
This brick building is a fine vernacular interpretation of the Classic Revival style. Completed in 1892, the construction was financed through a $10,000 bond issue; this included an artesian well nearby. The lower floor contained a council room, . . . — — Map (db m25086) HM
To the Memory of those valiant souls who went forth from Old Marion to yield up their lives in Patriotic Devotion to The South and all that the South stood for.
While many of the rest in unknown graves this monument attests the love and admiration . . . — — Map (db m23626) HM
Dedicated to the veterans of Marion County that so nobly served their country in the following wars: World War II December 7, 1941 ~ September 2, 1945; Korean War June 25, 1950 ~ July 27, 1953. Also in special honor for those men . . . — — Map (db m52796) WM
(Front): “To you from failing hands we throw the torch; be yours to hold it high.”
1917 ~ 1918
Gave their lives: Brown, Fernie E.; Grainger, Ernest M.; Holden, Stephen; Lane, William F.; Martin, Walter W.; Sloan, Hayes; . . . — — Map (db m52798) HM
“Come ye yourselves apart” (Mark 6-31) to pray / Any hour—any day.
Formerly Christ Episcopal Church, consecrated December 5, 1920, deconsecrated August 28, 1976. Moved October 18, 1976 from South Main Street to its present . . . — — Map (db m27950) HM
This church was founded in 1882 by 16 charter members, all former slaves or the children of former slaves. It held services in a brush arbor and a cotton gin before building its first sanctuary in 1886 at Main and Marion Streets. The present . . . — — Map (db m45956) HM
Mullins Depot. The town of Mullins, first known as Mullins Depot, grew up as a result of the opening of the Wilmington and Manchester Railroad in 1854. Land for the railroad’s buildings and for the right-of-way was given here by William S. . . . — — Map (db m28005) HM
Drowning Creek the original name of Lumber River arising in NC with dangerous undercurrents, flowing past Nichols, SC, through Marion County, that was originally old Georgetown District and Liberty County. A crucial part in the defeat of the Tories . . . — — Map (db m5085) HM