Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Codington County South Dakota Historical Markers

 
Dexter Cemetery Marker image, Touch for more information
By Ruth VanSteenwyk, June 28, 2016
Dexter Cemetery Marker
South Dakota (Codington County), Florence — Dexter Cemetery
Near 156th St. 0.3 miles west of 446th Ave.
The Dexter Cemetery was started by the early pioneers located in this area in 1899 on land donated by John and Eliza Drake. This was followed by the organization of the United Brethren Church in Christ in 1902 under the supervision of Rev. W.F. . . . — Map (db m101260) HM
South Dakota (Codington County), Kranzburg — District No. 5 Public School
On St. Peter St. NW at Hastings Ave. NW, on the left when traveling east on St. Peter St. NW.
District No. 5 School was the first rural public school in Codington County. At a meeting on June 30, 1879 at the Kranz Hotel, it was decided to build the school for $1,000 or less. The first term was from December 1879 to March 1880, taught by . . . — Map (db m101265) HM
South Dakota (Codington County), South Shore — Punished Woman's Lake Legend of
On State Highway 20 1 mile east of 462nd Ave., on the right when traveling east.
During the Moon of the Harvest (August) in 1773 a band of Sioux were camped on the shore of this lake. We-Wa-Ke, fairest maiden in the camp had given her heart to a brave young warrior, Big Eagle, whose courage on the hunt and in battle far . . . — Map (db m101267) HM
South Dakota (Codington County), Watertown — Carnegie Free Public Library 27 First Ave. S. E.
On 1st Avenue Southeast at South Maple, on the left when traveling east on 1st Avenue Southeast.
Built 1905-1906. Maurice Hockman Architect. Library left 1974. — Map (db m141092) HM
South Dakota (Codington County), Watertown — Codington County Courthouse
On First Avenue SE 0.1 miles east of Broadway, on the right when traveling east.
An example of Neo-classical architecture with Renaissance exterior elements, the Codington County Courthouse was built by Gray Construction under the direction of architects Freed and Perkins & McWayne. It cost $375,000.00 and was dedicated in June . . . — Map (db m23930) HM
South Dakota (Codington County), Watertown — Commercial Historic District
On East Kemp Avenue east of North Maple, on the right when traveling east.
Watertown was platted by the Winona & St. Peter Railroad. The uptown district, consisting of six square blocks, was divided into narrow lots intended mostly for commercial use running parallel to the railroad tracks. Important noncommercial . . . — Map (db m120097) HM
South Dakota (Codington County), Watertown — Forsburg Park Sundial
On State Highway 20 1 mile east of 351st Ave.
This sundial and this park are dedicated to time. Time is a paradox. . . we never seem to have enough. Yet we have all the time there is. We chose the sundial the oldest known device for Measuring time as a means of taking time to say . . . — Map (db m113356) HM
South Dakota (Codington County), Watertown — Maurice Hockman
On West Kemp Avenue 0.1 miles west of Broadway St. S, on the left when traveling east.
Maurice A. Hockman, a prominent South Dakota architect, designed a large part of uptown. At least ten buildings are attributed to him and nine or more have Hockmanesque features. Characteristics of his style are prominent courses of brick . . . — Map (db m131988) HM
South Dakota (Codington County), Watertown — Old M. & ST. L. Depot Museum
On North Broadway, on the right when traveling north.
This depot, originally the Rock Island Lines New Passenger Station and Division Office Building. Was erected as a joint venture of the Rock Island, and the Minneapolis and St. Louis Railroads in 1912 for $50,000.00.

Over the years, it has . . . — Map (db m90413) HM

South Dakota (Codington County), Watertown — Post Office & Auditorium (Watertown, South Dakota)
On Broadway St S at 1st Ave SE, on the left when traveling south on Broadway St S.
After years of renting spaces, the US Postal Service constructed the building on the corner of Broadway and First Avenue North in 1908 to 1909. By 1932, it was clear that the facilities were not adequate, which resulted in a well-blended . . . — Map (db m113231) HM
South Dakota (Codington County), Watertown — Public Opinion & City Hall
On 3rd St NE at Kemp Ave E on 3rd St NE.
Several newspapers kept the people of Watertown up to date until about 1900. By then the majority of them had ceased publication or merged with other papers. The Public Opinion was formed from the merger of the Courier-News, which began printing . . . — Map (db m131989) HM
South Dakota (Codington County), Watertown — Watertown and Vicinity
On 9th Ave. SW at 3rd St. SW, on the right when traveling west on 9th Ave. SW.
1835 Joseph LaFramboise had trade post at Two Woods Lake (Chanopa. 1838 Nicollet & Fremont , explorers, visited SE Codington County. 1840 Rev. Stephen Return Riggs enroute, Lac Qui Parle to Ft. Pierre, traversed the area. 1856 Capt. Alfred . . . — Map (db m91935) HM

12 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement