The Cheyenne to Deadwood Stage Line changed routes several times during its history.
In 1876 and 1877, the Cheyenne to Deadwood stagecoaches came through what would become present day Edgemont over what was known as Pollock’s Cutoff Route. The . . . — — Map (db m119900) HM
Welcome to Edgemont, the beginning of the Burlington Northern George S. Mickelson Trail! This winding trail follows the abandoned Burlington Northern Railroad route 114 miles through the heart of the Black Hills and ends at Deadwood.
The . . . — — Map (db m123925) HM
In early 1890, the Burlington Railroad established Siding 7 three-quarters of a mile up the tracks north from here. The siding consisted of four short, fan-shaped tracks and a hand-operated turntable over an open pit used for servicing engines. . . . — — Map (db m119899) HM
President Theodore Roosevelt (T. R.) stopped in Edgemont on April 25, 1903 as part of a
western states tour. Hundreds were on hand to welcome him.
An old friend, Seth Bullock of Deadwood, arrived with him.
They were then . . . — — Map (db m124008) HM
The eight mile long Fall River, winding through Fall River Canyon after the joining of Cold and Hot Brook streams above the city of Hot Springs, tumbles below over an outcropping of sandstone falling about 50 feet to form Fall River Falls, as viewed . . . — — Map (db m89352) HM
This highway along Fall River is dedicated to Leslie Jensen, 15th Governor of South Dakota 1937-1939, a native of Hot Springs, and a son of Chris Jensen, Black Hills Pioneer and Lille May Haxby Jensen. Educated in Hot Springs, Culver Military . . . — — Map (db m89374) HM
Nobody suspected that this old jail existed until it was found within the walls of a frame house on 332 South Chicago Street, Hot Springs.
The old residence was being taken down for salvage. Although it’s earliest history is obscure, it was . . . — — Map (db m123995) HM
According to tradition, American Indians were stricken with an epidemic known as “fell disease” about the middle of the 16th century that threatened to obliterate the tribes. A messenger arrived from the Great West with news of a . . . — — Map (db m124081) HM
Camp at the Mouth of the Red Canyon, sometimes called Camp Collier, was established at this site in mid-June 1876 tp protect travelers over the 150-mile Cheyenne - Black Hills stage road. It came into being after the Sioux, resentful of the . . . — — Map (db m113165) HM
You are Standing in the Middle of a Community Meeting!
This area is the meeting place of three distinct plant communities ~ The ponderosa pine woodland, the mixed grass prairie, and the Cascade warm springs ecosystem.. Their boundaries . . . — — Map (db m113163) HM
Tribal tradition states that as long ago as the 16th century the Fall River Valley and canyon area were seldom without groups of tipis belonging to North American Plains Tribes. They knew the curative value of the warm springs located there and used . . . — — Map (db m89375) HM
All Black Hills caves have formed in this layer 300 to 600 feet thick. Originally it was laid down on a shallow seabottom about 300 million years ago. Its name derives from the Lakota word meaning "Black Hills". — — Map (db m70978) HM
The site of Hot Springs was occupied before white men ever came to the area by tribal peoples for the “curative” benefits of the mineral springs. The constant 97-98 degree waters became the basis for the thriving . . . — — Map (db m124000) HM
The Civilian Conservation Corps established a camp here during the Great Depression of the 1930s to make improvements to the park. This camp employed 200 men at a time and provided much needed jobs and training. Over an eight-year period, the young . . . — — Map (db m70977) HM
Gigantic mammoths, ancestors of the majestic elephants of today, once roamed freely on the High Plains of North America. A repository of their remains, along with other kinds of animals, lay undisturbed until their discovery over 26,000 years later, . . . — — Map (db m89376) HM
The Town of Oelrichs, Dakota Territory, began in 1885. Harry Oelrichs (1856-1902) of New York came in 1882 and bought out several large cattle ranches, totaling 35,000 head of cattle, for the Anglo-American Cattle Company. At this time, . . . — — Map (db m89461) HM