Home of roving Indians until 1862. The exploring party of Nicollet, scientist, and Fremont,
‘Pathfinder of the West,’ visited Oakwood Lakes July 1838, leaving the first reliable record.
The region East of the Big Sioux was ceded by the . . . — — Map (db m121185) HM
domain of the Dakota (Sioux) Indians, with a trading post, traditionally, at the Great Bend as
early as 1763 and Joseph LaFramboise in 1822 and Philander Prescott, 1832-33, certainly had
posts there. That portion east of the Big Sioux was . . . — — Map (db m121184) HM
Here on the Highway, in front of this marker stood the "Lone Tree" for more than two generations. It was planted a mere cottonwood seedling in the hole left by pulling out the original survey stake (surveyed in September 1869 by Levi P. Drake and . . . — — Map (db m101293) HM
One hundred years ago Flandreau Indian School had its inception when the federal government appropriated $1,000 for the mission school set up in 1872 by Presbyterian missionaries for Santee Sioux who had homesteaded near Flandreau.
The first . . . — — Map (db m131010) HM