Archie M. Gubbrud was born December 31, 1910, the eldest son of Marius T. Gubbrud and Ella Rommereim Gubbrud at his parental farm home in Norway Township, Lincoln County. He was brought up on this farmstead with a post office address of Alcester, . . . — — Map (db m112829) HM
Camp SCS-3 (DPE-211 in 1934): located in city park of NE Alcester. Companies: 2746--8/3-10/1/34 & 6/27/35-8/14/41; 4725V--8/15/41 - 5/27/42.
The Civilian Conservation Corps was a federal work - relief program during the Great Depression. . . . — — Map (db m112832) HM
Beginning their journey on a diet of salt pork, lard with flour, and Indian meal (ground corn), Meriwether Lewis, William Clark, and the other members of the Corps of Discovery, went on to taste nearly everything the West had to offer - through . . . — — Map (db m100915) HM
Lewis & Clark camped here and said much elk sign on August 22, 1804 and held first election in northwest that evening.
In 1856, the Sioux City-Ft. Randall Military Road passed hereby.
Eli Wixson arrived on 22 July 1859 and built a log . . . — — Map (db m100896) HM
The Missouri River Valley, up to this location, was well-known to French and British fur trappers. For decades, trappers navigated down the Big Sioux River and the lower Missouri toward St. Louis. Due to the intimidating presence of the Yankton . . . — — Map (db m100914) HM
When the famous Norwegian-American novelist Rolvaag (1876-1931) came to America, he worked on the 200-acre farm of Severt Eidem (NE quarter, Section 12, and 40 acres, Section 1, Brule Township), two miles north of this corner. Rolvaag's first book . . . — — Map (db m101251) HM
Lewis & Clark Campsite
The Missouri River has carved many channels in its history. One such channel curved through the western edge of Elk Point creating the area now known as Heritage Park.
On August 22, 1804, Captain William Clark . . . — — Map (db m100821) HM
The Corps of Discovery returned to this location after a two-year absence on September 3, 1806. Meriwether Lewis and William Clark found their "Elk sign" campsite occupied by James Aird, a Scottish fur trader. They pressed him eagerly for news . . . — — Map (db m100912) HM
Stately church edifices frequently have humble beginnings and so with St. Paul Lutheran Church, one of South Dakota's finest. The humble log church pictured hereon was erected in 1867 by the members of the Norwegian Evangelical Lutheran Congregation . . . — — Map (db m92706) HM
In 1804-06, Captains Meriwether Lewis and William Clark led about 40 soldiers and boatmen on an epic journey. President Thomas Jefferson commissioned this "Corps of Discovery" to find a route to the Pacific Ocean through the newly acquired . . . — — Map (db m100917) HM
While camped at the "Elk Sign" campsite on August 22, 1804, Captains Meriwether Lewis and William Clark acted to replace Sergeant Charles Floyd, who had taken ill and died two days earlier. They called for the Corps of Discovery to vote on . . . — — Map (db m100916) HM
The Huge wooden cross in the cemetery, replaced the rude one erected on that day in May, 1876, when Father Pierre Boucher led his pilgrimage of Catholic & Protestant marchers back to Jefferson, after an eleven mile trek seeking Divine Intervention . . . — — Map (db m92759) HM
The vicinity of Jefferson, even before the organization of Dakota Territory in 1861, was a French - Canadian community and Catholic services were held sporadically prior to the advent of Father Pierre Boucher in 1867. In 1862 a small log building . . . — — Map (db m92762) HM
This granite block erected by the Old Settlers Association of Union County, South Dakota, marks the site of Fort Brule Built in 1862 by soldiers and settlers as protection against renegade and hostile Indians. Abandoned in 1868 Dismantled . . . — — Map (db m93600) HM
Rev. S.W. Ingham, a travelling Missionary, in 1861 baptized Minnesota Watson, daughter of Thomas and Adeline Watson, who with A.J. Bell and wife were its earliest members in the Brule Creek community. The Indian War of the Outbreak in August 1862 . . . — — Map (db m93599) HM
The first parish in Garryowen was organized in 1879. St. Mary's Church and cemetery were located together on five acres of land donated by Patrick Mahan. The church eventually became too small for a growing community and a larger . . . — — Map (db m93597) HM
The rich farm country of southeast South Dakota lies in the triangle formed as the Missouri River, to the west, and the Big Sioux River, east of here, flow toward their confluence about 37 miles southeast of this point. This was the land that drew . . . — — Map (db m92824) HM
The Missouri, the continent's longest river, figures prominently in the unfolding of America's saga. Flowing nearby in its 2,341 - mile course from the Rocky Mountains to the Mississippi, the Big Muddy is not only loaded with sediment but steeped in . . . — — Map (db m92825) HM