On Webb Road East (State Highway 82), on the right when traveling west.
Founded 1870, at Culleoka, by William R. ("Sawney") Webb, whose brother John M. ("Old Jack") Webb joined him in 1874. It moved here in 1886. Its curriculum, embracing chiefly Latin, Greek and Mathematics, was designed to give a sound preparatory . . . — — Map (db m24169) HM
On Wartrace Park (Tennessee Route 64), on the right when traveling east.
On this knoll, members of the Federal party which attempted to destroy the Western & Atlantic R.R. in 1862, assembled before starting their foray. It started with seizure of the engine "General" and ended with recapture of the engine at the Georgia . . . — — Map (db m80317) HM
On Shelbyville Highway (Tennessee Route 231), on the left when traveling south.
The Reserve Corps (Granger) moved south along this road, screened by the Army's Cavalry (D.S. Stanley). Taking Guy's Gap, against minor resistance, they pushed rapidly into Shelbyville, evacuated the same morning by the Corps of Maj. Gen. Leonidas . . . — — Map (db m26075) HM
On North Main St. (U.S. 82) at Florida Short Route, on the right when traveling south on North Main St..
Because Shofner and his compatriots brought home stark evidence of Japanese atrocities, the United States and their allies were compelled to alter their strategy in WWII. These reports of Japanese atrocities ignited an urgency to resolve the war . . . — — Map (db m25051) HM
The Veterans Memorial Plaza is conceived and designed to honor, commemorate and forever remember the veterans of Bedford County Tennessee who have served in the armed forces throughout the world. It is to recognize the sacrifices these brave men . . . — — Map (db m85709) WM
On E. Lane St. near N. Brittain St, on the left when traveling south.
This was Lot 44 of the original town plan. A log church was built here in 1815. The Presbyterians used it, and built the present church in 1817. In 1856, a Catholic congregation bought the building, selling to the Northern Methodists in 1894. These . . . — — Map (db m25049) HM
On Judge Mac Farrar Memorial Highway (State Highway 82) at South Brittain Street, on the right when traveling south on Judge Mac Farrar Memorial Highway.
Born in NC, 1783; veteran of the War of 1812; early Bedford County manufacturer; Whig political leader. In 1810 Cannon provided 100 acres of land for the site of the "Town of Shelbyville" and in 1817 donated 5 acres to Dickson Academy and a lot to a . . . — — Map (db m26807) HM
On Lane Pkwy. (County Route 387), on the right when traveling south.
In the cemetery north of the road are buried Confederate soldiers of the Army of Tennessee, who fell while opposing the advance of Rosecrans' Army of the Cumberland through Liberty Gap and Guy's Gap, in late June, 1863. Also buried here are soldiers . . . — — Map (db m25864) HM
On Public Square East (Tennessee Route 130) at West Depot Street, on the left when traveling north on Public Square East.
After the Battle of Stones River ended on January 2, 1863, Union Gen. William S. Rosecrans occupied Murfreesboro. Confederate Gen. Braxton Bragg withdrew south to the Highland Rim to protect the rail junction at Tullahoma, Bragg's . . . — — Map (db m85714) HM
On North Main St., on the left when traveling south.
Born in a house which stood here. Enlisted in the 1st Tenn. Volunteers for the Mexican War; on graduation from US Military Academy in 1853, commissioned in Dragoons. Resigning for the Confederacy and rapidly promoted to colonel, he was captured at . . . — — Map (db m85444) HM
On West Depot Street at Public Square West, on the left when traveling east on West Depot Street.
In memory of the
"Shelbyville Rebels" Co. F.
41st Tenn. Reg't. C.S.A. and
all soldiers from Bedford
County who fought for the
Confederacy in the War
Between the States 1861-1865
Erected and affectionately dedicated
by the Agnes L. . . . — — Map (db m85555) WM
On Alternate U.S. 41 just west of Shofner Road, on the left when traveling north.
Son of Michael, an immigrant from Frankfurt on Main, Germany in 1760. Migrated by covered wagon, horseback and afoot from North Carolina in 1808 with his family and settled this tract of land on Thompson's creek. The land was granted to him by the . . . — — Map (db m80313) HM
Governor of Tennessee for three successive terms 1939-1945. A native of Bedford County and graduate of Webb School, Princeton and Harvard Law School, he was Attorney General of the 8th Judicial Circuit, a member of the 63rd and 70th General . . . — — Map (db m25868) HM
On N. Spring St., on the left when traveling north.
Shelbyville was established in 1810 on 100 acres of land donated by Clement Cannon (1783-1860), local manufacturer and veteran of the War of 1812. The city was named in honor of General Isaac Shelby (1750-1826), statesman and noted Revolutionary War . . . — — Map (db m85443) HM
On Jessup Place, on the left when traveling north.
This 90-acre tract is home of the Tennessee Walking Horse National Celebration - "The World's Largest Walking Horse Show". On July 17, 1939, a non-profit association was chartered to conduct a national celebration to honor and exhibit the Tennessee . . . — — Map (db m25869) HM
On Shelbyville Hwy (U.S. 41-A) near Carr Creek Rd, on the left when traveling north.
Moore County Established 1871; named in honor of
Major Gen. William Moore
He settled in Tennessee in 1808, coming from Kentucky. Commanded a company in the Creek War; finished the War of 1812 as a Major General. Member of the State House . . . — — Map (db m61915) HM
On Cortner Road (County Route 269), on the right when traveling south.
The Beechwood Plantation house, which formerly stood at this site, was an important Confederate headquarters during the Tullahoma Campaign. It was built for Col. Andrew Erwin, Jr. and family in 1826. The Erwins, who were southern sympathizers, . . . — — Map (db m25862) HM
On Blackman Boulevard West (State Highway 64) near Spring Street, on the right when traveling north.
Strolling Jim, the first World's Champion Tennessee Walking Horse, is buried in a pasture directly behind the Walking Horse Hotel. Foaled in 1936, this former work horse was ridden to the championship by Floyd Carothers at the first Walking Horse . . . — — Map (db m24165) HM
On Blackman Boulevard (Tennessee Route 64), on the right when traveling south.
In 1850, Rice Coffey gave eight acres to the Nashville and Chattanooga Railroad on which the main line would run with a depot and freight house at the junction of the branch line to Shelbyville. In 1851, town lots were laid off. The following year, . . . — — Map (db m88407) HM