Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Blount County Tennessee Historical Markers

 
The Underground Railroad Marker image, Touch for more information
By Don Morfe, July 29, 2013
The Underground Railroad Marker
Tennessee (Blount County), Friendsville — The Underground RailroadFriendsville Quakers and Cudjo's Cave
Members of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers) came to Blount County in the 1790s looking for a place to worship in peace. Hardworking and industrious, opposing war and slavery, they developed the land and founded the prosperous settlements . . . — Map (db m81361) HM
Tennessee (Blount County), Knoxville — 1E 18 — James Gillespy's Fort
About 2 miles northeast. Attacked Oct. 13, 1788, by 300 Indians under John Watts, the half breed. Defenders held out until ammunition was exhausted. 28 were taken prisoner; 17 slaughtered and bodies burned. Thereafter the locality was called the . . . — Map (db m90458) HM
Tennessee (Blount County), Maryville — 1E 49 — Alleghany Springs
Yellow Sulphur Springs was developed on a modest scale by Jesse Kerr in 1859. In 1885, Nathan McCoy, of Indiana, built an elaborate hotel here. John Hanlon took it over in 1900, and operated it until the outbreak of World War I. It burned in 1933. — Map (db m107919) HM
Tennessee (Blount County), Maryville — 1E 14 — Chilhowee
On Abram’s Creek, near the site of the early Cherokee village, Chilhowee, William and Robert James established a water-powered cotton and woolen spinning and weaving factory. A charter for the business was issued in 1846 and the mill was evidently . . . — Map (db m58501) HM
Tennessee (Blount County), Maryville — Craig Fort - 1785
Stockade enclosing about two acres extending southwest to large spring at base of bluff. Scene of many privations, perils and heroic encounters. — Map (db m107578) HM
Tennessee (Blount County), Maryville — 1E 104 — Freedman's Institute
A three-story brick building was erected 1872-74 on this site to train blacks as teachers. Institute was begun in 1867, in a log house ½ mile north, and later moved into a new building, financed mainly by friends. By 1879, it had trained 80 . . . — Map (db m81362) HM
Tennessee (Blount County), Maryville — General Sam Houston
March 2, 1793 – July 26, 1863 Born In Rockbridge County VA Moved To TN in 1807 Taught At This Schoolhouse In 1812 Attended Porter Academy In 1813 Joined Army In 1813 In Maryville, TN Studied Law In Nashville, TN In 1818 . . . — Map (db m1733) HM
Tennessee (Blount County), Maryville — 1E 5 — Houston's Station
Established by James Houston in 1785, it stood about 300 yards east on Little Nine Mile Creek. From here, in 1786, John Sevier led 160 horsemen against the Cherokee towns. In 1788, the Kirk family was massacred about three miles south; shortly . . . — Map (db m58500) HM
Tennessee (Blount County), Maryville — 1 E 100 — John Craig's Fort
Site of the original settlement of Maryville. Here Captain John Craig in 1785 erected a fort on Pistol Creek to protect settlers from Indian raids. In 1793 as many as 280 men, women, and children lived within its walls for several months, surviving . . . — Map (db m58839) HM
Tennessee (Blount County), Maryville — 1E 42 — Maryville College
Founded in 1819 by the Synod of Tennessee, Presbyterian Church in the USA, as The Southern and Western Theological Seminary, its first president was Rev. Isaac Anderson, D.D. Its original buildings were on Broadway at College Street. Receiving its . . . — Map (db m36993) HM
Tennessee (Blount County), Maryville — Maryville During the Civil War"A shameful...fire"
During the antebellum period, Blount County supported abolitionism. In 1822, local Quakers and other residents formed an abolitionist society, and in the decades following, local clergymen preached against the evils of slavery. When the county . . . — Map (db m69452) HM
Tennessee (Blount County), Maryville — Maryville Polytechnic School
Dedicated with great affection and esteem by former students to the memory of Professor Charles William ("Bill Joe") Henry (1878-1935) and Mrs. Leola Landon Henry (1884-1966). Married January 1904. Founders and operators of Maryville Polytechnic . . . — Map (db m107920) HM
Tennessee (Blount County), Maryville — 1E 56 — Montvale Springs
7 ½ mi. S, this resort was termed the Saratoga of the South in stagecoach days. First advertised in 1832; Daniel Foute built a log hotel there in 1837. In 1853, Asa Watson, of Mississippi, built the Seven Gable Hotel. Sidney Lanier spent much . . . — Map (db m81363) HM
Tennessee (Blount County), Maryville — 1E46 — New Providence Church
This Presbyterian church was founded in 1786 by Rev. Archibald Scott, of Virginia. In 1792, Rev. Gideon Blackburn built a log church here; the stones in the present wall are from a church which replaced it in 1829; the brick church replaced it in . . . — Map (db m28733) HM
Tennessee (Blount County), Maryville — 1E 55 — Pride Mansion
Dr. Samuel Pride, first Worthy Master of the New Providence Masonic Lodge, built his house here. Maj. Gen. W. T. Sherman, enroute to the relief of Burnside at Knoxville, billeted himself here. From 1878 to 1900 it was the Friends’ Normal Institute. . . . — Map (db m58509) HM
Tennessee (Blount County), Maryville — 1 E 75 — Relief of Knoxville
Maj. Gen. W. T. Sherman, U.S.A., arrived in Blount County with 25,000 men, Dec. 5, 1863, to relieve Gen. Ambrose Burnside besieged at Knoxville by Gen. James Longstreet. The 15th Corps camped around Maryville, the 11th around Louisville and the 4th . . . — Map (db m58836) HM
Tennessee (Blount County), Maryville — 1E 6 — Sam Houston Schoolhouse
Three miles south is the school-house built in 1796 by Andrew Kennedy and Henry McCulloch for their children. Sam Houston taught here in 1811 or 1812. He later became Governor of Tennessee, Commander-in-Chief of the Texas Army, President of the . . . — Map (db m109629) HM
Tennessee (Blount County), Maryville — Sam Houston Statue
Four separate plaques. (Text of each plaque under the photos below.) — Map (db m107921) HM
Tennessee (Blount County), Maryville — 1E 51 — Samuel Henry's Station
On the hill to the south, beside the Great War and Trading Path, later the Federal Road, Samuel Henry, Sr., built a fort by 1792. The half-breed John Watts and 200 followers attacked it in August, 1793. Henry’s first mill was authorized in 1795. He . . . — Map (db m58508) HM
Tennessee (Blount County), Maryville — 1E16 — Where Houston Enlisted
Here, where Blount County's first courthouse stood, Sam Houston "took a dollar from the drum", thus marking his first enlistment in the United States Army, March 24, 1813. This culminated in his command of the Army of Texas, which decisively . . . — Map (db m28579) HM
Tennessee (Blount County), Maryville — 1E 109 — William Bennett Scott, Sr.ca. 1821 - 1885
William B. Scott, Sr., a free Black, migrated to East Tennessee in 1847 after increased racial tension in North Carolina. He made harnesses and saddles in Blount County’s Quaker community of Friendsville until the Civil War. In Knoxville, during . . . — Map (db m107600) HM
Tennessee (Blount County), Rockford — 1E 40 — Bartlett's Station
Nicholas Bartlett built a mill 300 ft. downstream about 1785. When Blount County was created in 1795, its mill-pond was a turning point from the Stock Creek boundary to run toward Bay's Mountain. The mill was used as a fort in the Indian troubles of . . . — Map (db m109333) HM
Tennessee (Blount County), Rockford — Knox CountyEstablished 1792; named in honor of — Maj. Gen. Henry Knox
Washington's Chief of Artillery in the Revolutionary War. Secretary of War in Washington's Cabinet. One of the founders and first secretary of the Society of the Cincinnati. — Map (db m109332) HM
Tennessee (Blount County), Seymour — 1E 19 — Eusebia Church
Early settlers coming down the Great War & Trading Path in 1784-85 camped here; it was the scene of their first death and burial. In 1786 the Rev. Archibald Scott of Virginia organized a Presbyterian congregation in the area; the church was built . . . — Map (db m108215) HM
Tennessee (Blount County), Seymour — 1E 19 — Eusesbia Church
Early settlers coming down the Great War & Trading Path in 1784-85 camped here; it was the scene of their first death and burial. In 1786 the Rev. Archibald Scott of Virginia organized a Presbyterian congregation in the area; the church was built . . . — Map (db m81365) HM
Tennessee (Blount County), Seymour — 1E 22 — McTeer's Fort
One mile south, near a large spring, Robert McTeer built a fort and mill in 1784. A branch of the Great War and Trading Path passed nearby. Reportedly, the first school in what later became Blount County was held here; it was also the first polling . . . — Map (db m108216) HM
Tennessee (Blount County), Townsend — An Early Mountain Community
In the early 1900s family farms covered the valley. Self-sufficiency was the rule in those days, but most people made use of the mill, the country store, and the blacksmith shop. The buildings assembled here represent part of a typical mountain . . . — Map (db m58475) HM
Tennessee (Blount County), Townsend — Civilian Conservation Corps
In Honor of the Civilian Conservation Corps 1933 – 1942 whose hands built roads, trails, bridges, buildings, campgrounds, and picnic areas in Great Smoky Mountains National Park for the benefit and enjoyment of the people. “If you . . . — Map (db m58440) HM
Tennessee (Blount County), Townsend — 1E 13 — John Mitchel
This Irish patriot, exiled from his homeland for revolutionary newspaper activities, settled in the cove about two miles from here in 1855. After a short stay he moved to Knoxville. The rest of his life was taken up with lecture tours and newspaper . . . — Map (db m56818) HM
Tennessee (Blount County), Townsend — 1E 110 — The Little River Lumber Company
This is the former site of the Little River Lumber Company mill complex. Founded in 1901 by Col. W.B. Townsend for whom this community is named, the company was one of the largest commercial lumber operations in the Smokies. From 1901 to 1939, the . . . — Map (db m36995) HM
Tennessee (Blount County), Townsend — 1E 15 — Tuckaleechee Villages
Near here was one of these three Cherokee villages, unoccupied when settlers arrived about 1791. A branch of the Great War and Trading Path forked here, one to North Carolina, the other to villages on the Little Tennessee. The Virginia trader, . . . — Map (db m46477) HM
Tennessee (Blount County), Walland — 1E 48 — Gamble's Station
A mile north, on Little River, Josias Gamble built a fort in 1740. Gov. William Blount came here in 1790, to pacify and disperse a gathering of settlers about to attack the Indians to recover stolen horses. The fort was never attacked, but was a . . . — Map (db m46479) HM

32 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement