Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Carroll County Tennessee Historical Markers

 
Carroll County Marker image, Touch for more information
By Ken Smith, February 2, 2012
Carroll County Marker
Tennessee (Carroll County), Atwood — 4A 17 — Carroll County
Established 1822: Named in honor of William Carroll An officer in the War of 1812; governor of Tennessee, 1821-27 and 1829-35; Served as governor longer than any other man. — Map (db m52132) HM
Tennessee (Carroll County), Atwood — 4A 17 — Gibson County
Established 1823; Named in honor of Colonel John Gibson who served with distinction under General Andrew Jackson in the Natchez Expedition, 1812 - 13, and in the Creek Wars. — Map (db m52134) HM
Tennessee (Carroll County), Atwood — 4A 34 — Gordon Browning — 1889 - 1976
Governor Browning was born in Carroll County. After graduating from Cumberland Law School in 1915, he began practicing in Huntingdon. He commanded Battery D, 114th Field Artillery in France in World War I. In 1922 he was elected to Congress and . . . — Map (db m51404) HM
Tennessee (Carroll County), Clarksburg — Clarksburg — Prelude, Battle of Parker's Crossroads — Forrest's First West Tennessee Raid
(preface) Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest led his cavalry brigade on a raid through West Tennessee, Dec 15, 1862-Jan 3, 1863, destroying railroads and severing Gen. Ulysses S. Grant’s supply line between Columbus, Kentucky, and Vicksburg, . . . — Map (db m74967) HM
Tennessee (Carroll County), Hollow Rock — 4A 53 — Alexis de Tocqueville At Sandy Bridge
Alexis de Tocqueville (1805-1859), author of the classic Democracy in America, and Gustave de Beaumont (1802-1866) spent four frigid days and nights, December 12-16, 1831 at Sandy Bridge, now Hollow Rock. The postmaster, Zephaniah Harris, and . . . — Map (db m52647) HM
Tennessee (Carroll County), Hollow Rock — 4A 14 — Hollowrock Church
Founded in 1822, this Primitive Baptist Church has been in constant use. It holds an annual foot-washing ceremony the first Sunday in May, which is attended by communicants and witnesses from many parts of this and neighboring states. — Map (db m52585) HM
Tennessee (Carroll County), Huntingdon — 4A 27 — Isaac R. Hawkins
Born in Maury Co., he was an officer of volunteers in the Mexican War. A lifelong staunch Unionist, he was a delegate to the Constitutional Union Party convention of 1860, later an officer in the Federal Army. A delegate to the Republican convention . . . — Map (db m52608) HM
Tennessee (Carroll County), Huntingdon — 4A 9 — Nathan Nesbitt
Lived and is buried about 3½ miles southeast. On December 9, 1822, he made a trail through the woods to the new county seat, carrying a crosscut saw. Arrived at Huntingdon, he sawed a door in the new log courthouse and thus, as Chairman of the . . . — Map (db m52609) HM
Tennessee (Carroll County), Huntingdon — 4A 28 — Oak Hill Cemetery
Established in 1822, this cemetery contains the remains of soldiers from every major American war since the establishment of the state. Among those buried here are two from the War of 1812, three from the Mexican War, and thirty-eight from the Civil . . . — Map (db m51407) HM
Tennessee (Carroll County), Huntingdon — 4A 8 — Old Racetrack
Built about 1818 in the area to the east. Here also were held barbecues, barn dances, prize fights and cockfights. Here, according to court records, David Crockett “participated in an affray,” while attending the races. He was fined six . . . — Map (db m52584) HM
Tennessee (Carroll County), McKenzie — 4A 22 — Bethel College
Founded as Bethel Seminary at McLemoresville in 1842 by the West Tennessee Synod, Cumberland Presbyterian Church, with Rev. Ruben Burrow principal. Incorporated in 1847, it became Bethel College in 1850 and moved here in 1872. It was presented to . . . — Map (db m52842) HM
Tennessee (Carroll County), McKenzie — 4A 16 — Clear Lake
About 3 miles SE, the lake was discovered in 1785 by Henry Rutherford, who surveyed the majority of west Tennessee. It was orginally named Boyd's Lake, for the Rev. Adam Boyd, chaplin [sic] of the North Carolina Regiment in the Revolution, who later . . . — Map (db m81368) HM
Tennessee (Carroll County), McKenzie — 4A 11 — Forrest's Raid — Dec. 24, 1862
Moving to McKenzie, Forrest's Brigade captured the 100 - man garrison. Here they spent Christmas Eve, while working parties completed destruction of 4 miles of trestles and bridge between the forks of the Obion River. Other parties completed . . . — Map (db m52174) HM
Tennessee (Carroll County), McKenzie — Harris-Collier-Holland Farm — One Family's Story
Albert Gallatin Harris purchased this farm in 1829 and built the present house in 1857. After camping on the land during the Civil War, Union troops ransacked the farm, killing or stealing all the livestock. They did not burn the house because the . . . — Map (db m74514) HM
Tennessee (Carroll County), McKenzie — 4A 46 — James Monroe McKenzie — 1818 - 1873
James Monroe McKenzie, entrepreneur and philanthropist, was born in February 12, 1818. In 1860 he donated land for the depot and freight office where the Nashville and Northwestern Railroad crossed the Memphis and Ohio Railroad, resulting in the . . . — Map (db m81369) HM
Tennessee (Carroll County), McKenzie — McKenzie's Station — A Strategic Junction — Forrest's First West Tennessee Raid
(preface) Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest led his cavalry brigade on a raid through West Tennessee, Dec. 15, 1862-Jan. 3, 1863, destroying railroads and severing Gen. Ulysses S. Grant's supply line between Columbus, Kentucky, and Vicksburg, . . . — Map (db m74532) HM
Tennessee (Carroll County), McKenzie — 4A 43 — Webb School
Originally founded in 1923 as the black "County Training School" at Smyrna, Tennessee. It was moved to McKenzie in 1927, and named "Webb High School" in honor of John L. Webb. With over 1900 alumni, this school, under the leadership of J. L. Seets . . . — Map (db m52177) HM
Tennessee (Carroll County), McLemoresville — 4 A 13 — First County Court
The home of R.E.C. Dougherty stood on the foundations of the house to the north. Here, as Chairman, he held the first meeting of the Carroll County Court, March 11, 1822. Members were, Daniel Barcroft, John Bone, Banks W. Burrow, Edward Gwin, John . . . — Map (db m51405) HM
Tennessee (Carroll County), McLemoresville — 4 A12 — Forrest's Raid — Dec. 29, 1862
Forrest's Brigade, re-armed, and re-equipped with material and horses captured from the Federal storehouses which they had plundered, passed through here enroute to Lexington and their re-crossing of the Tennessee River at Clifton. — Map (db m51406) HM
Tennessee (Carroll County), Trezevant — 4A 33 — Christmasville
First used as Post No. 2 by the 1785 surveyors, a town was later established on November 14, 1823, at John Christmas McLemore's Bluff, on the South Fork of the Obion River. Goods were shipped down the river until 1854. Buckeye Point, 1 mile east, . . . — Map (db m52130) HM
Tennessee (Carroll County), Trezevant — 4A 35 — Hillsman House
On the old McKenzie Road one mile north stands the historic home of Major Jack Hillsman, Civil War veteran, son of pioneer Reddick Hillsman from North Carolina who helped organize Carroll County in 1821. The two-story house, completed in 1869, was . . . — Map (db m52192) HM

21 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement