Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Carter County Tennessee Historical Markers

 
Wide view of the Carter County's Train History Marker image, Touch for more information
By Paul Crumlish, July 17, 2011
Wide view of the Carter County's Train History Marker
Tennessee (Carter County), Elizabethton — 1A 123 — Carter County's Train History
Carter Countyís railroad history is the story of three trains – the East Tennessee and Western North Carolina, better known as Tweetsie (1881-1951); the Southern Railroad (1911-1940); and the North American Rayon Steam Engine (1936-1992). The . . . — Map (db m46561) HM
Tennessee (Carter County), Elizabethton — 1A 119 — Cedar Grove Cemetery
Cedar Grove Cemetery was originally established as a "colored cemetery" in the early nineteenth century on a tract of land adjacent to a trail that became known as Gap Creek Road. The remote and rocky terrain often required the use of dynamite to . . . — Map (db m81370) HM
Tennessee (Carter County), Elizabethton — 1A 62 — Covered Bridge
This bridge over Doe River was built early in 1882 at a cost to the county of $3000 for the bridge and $300 for the approaches. The site was chosen by J.J. McCorkle, Wiley Christian and H.M. Rentfro. The committee were Thomas E. Matson, Engineer, . . . — Map (db m46706) HM
Tennessee (Carter County), Elizabethton — 1A 54 — Duffield Academy
These stones are from the foundation of the academy established Sept. 13, 1806, with Maj. George Duffield, Chairman, Nathaniel Taylor, George Williams, Alexander Doran & John Greer, Trustees. In 1807, Andrew Taylor, Abraham Henry and Reuben Thornton . . . — Map (db m46607) HM
Tennessee (Carter County), Elizabethton — 1A 61 — Green Hill Cemetery
The Tipton family cemetery, it stood near the homesite of Samuel Tipton (1752-1833) and Susannah Reneau (1767-1853). Col. John Tipton, father of Samuel, deeded it to him in 1784. The house was later the home of a nephew, Isaac P. Tipton, whose . . . — Map (db m81371) HM
Tennessee (Carter County), Elizabethton — 1 A 15 — Sabine Hill
Built about 1818 by Mary (“Polly”) Patton Taylor, widow of Gen. Nathaniel Taylor, of the War of 1812. Both are buried in the cemetery nearby. Among their great-grandsons were Governors Alfred A. and Robert L. Taylor, of Tennessee, and . . . — Map (db m46387) HM
Tennessee (Carter County), Elizabethton — 1A 72 — Samuel Powhatan Carter ó Aug 6, 1819 – May 26, 1891
Born in this house. After attending Washington College and Princeton, graduated from U.S. Naval Academy; serving in the Navy until May 1, 1862, he was appointed brigadier general, U.S. Volunteers. His most conspicuous service was a raid into East . . . — Map (db m46749) HM
Tennessee (Carter County), Elizabethton — 1A 16 — Sycamore Shoals of the Watauga
In this neighborhood, on Sept. 26, 1780, Rev. Samuel Doak conducted religious services for the frontiersmen from Virginia and North Carolina, including the Watauga and other settlements in what is now Tennessee, upon the start of their decisive . . . — Map (db m47152) HM
Tennessee (Carter County), Elizabethton — 1A 19 — The Mansion
“The Mansion” was built before 1780 by John Carter and his son Landon. John Carter was chairman of the Watauga Association, a court of five men elected by the settlers of the Watauga Count in May 1772, “to govern and direct for the . . . — Map (db m47102) HM
Tennessee (Carter County), Elizabethton — 1A 52 — Transylvania Purchase
In this valley, March 17, 1775, the Transylvania Company, led by Richard Henderson, John Williams and Nathaniel Hart, bought from the Cherokee, led by Chief Oconostota, all the lands between the Kentucky and Cumberland Rivers. Over 20 million acres . . . — Map (db m47196) HM
Tennessee (Carter County), Elizabethton — 1A 8 — Watauga Fort
400 yards northward and ½ mile northeast of the mouth of Gap Creek, stood Watauga Fort. Here, July 21, 1776, the settlers under Captain James Robertson repulsed the Cherokees under Old Abraham of Chilhowee, and Lt. John Sevier rescued . . . — Map (db m47187) HM
Tennessee (Carter County), Elizabethton — 1A 53 — Watauga Purchase
Here, March 19, 1775, at the Sycamore Shoals, the Watauga Association, Charles Robertson, Trustee, bought from the Cherokee, with Oconostota as chief, lands along the Watauga, Holston and Great Canaway (now New) Rivers. The consideration for the . . . — Map (db m47180) HM
Tennessee (Carter County), Johnson City — 1A 31 — Carter County / Washington County
[Front]
Established 1796 named in honor of Landon Carter Treasurer of Washington and Hamilton Districts. Speaker of the first State of Franklin Senate, later its Secretary of State, also Lieutenant Colonel of the Washington . . . — Map (db m45948) HM
Tennessee (Carter County), Johnson City — 1A 17 — Dunganís Mill
6.5 miles northwest, at the mouth of Brush Creek, is a mill built by Jeremiah Dungan in 1779, and continuously operated since then. East of it was a stone fort erected by pioneers of the Watauga Settlement.
Dungan and other pioneers are buried . . . — Map (db m45997) HM
Tennessee (Carter County), Watauga — 1A 108 — Range School
Range School was in operation prior to Oct. 29, 1843. It began as a common school with classes held in a log sheep barn donated by Jonathan Range. In 1901, a one-room frame building was constructed near the original site. A brick building was . . . — Map (db m53528) HM

15 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement