“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Jackson County Tennessee Historical Markers

Alvan Cullen Gillem Marker image, Touch for more information
By Karen Emerson-McPeak, November 14, 2017
Alvan Cullen Gillem Marker
Tennessee (Jackson County), Gainesboro — 3B 26 — Alvan Cullen Gillem July 29, 1830 - December 2, 1875
Born nearby; graduated from the US Military Academy in 1851, his Civil War duties included those of Provost Marshall of Nashville, later Adjt. General of Tennessee, to which he was appointed by Andrew Johnson. Promoted to Maj. Gen.; commanded the . . . — Map (db m112186) HM
Tennessee (Jackson County), Gainesboro — Confederate Field Hospital
First National Confederate Flag Confederate Hospital Flag In January, 1862, after the Battle of Mill Springs, KY all the homes in Gainesboro were used as hospitals. The Gaines House is the oldest house in Gainesboro and is the only house . . . — Map (db m112215) HM
Tennessee (Jackson County), Gainesboro — Cumberland River Campaign Burning of Old Columbus
North of this marker lies the site of Old Columbus, once an important landing on the Cumberland River. In the winter of 1863–1864, the war had disastrous consequences for this river village. Late in December 1863, Gen. Ulysses . . . — Map (db m68344) HM
Tennessee (Jackson County), Granville — Carverdale Farms
Has been listed in the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior. July 31, 2018 — Map (db m129914) HM
Tennessee (Jackson County), Granville — Civil War in Granville Contested Town
The Civil War experiences of Granville, an important Cumberland River port in the nineteenth century, were similar to many rural Upper Cumberland communities. When Tennessee seceded in 1861, most residents backed the Confederacy. Granville was . . . — Map (db m82194) HM
Tennessee (Jackson County), Granville — 2D 39 — Granville, Tennessee
Settled in 1799, the settlers originally called this area Beech Hill. Incorporated in 1837, the name was changed to Granville. It became a booming riverboat town that included five general stores, a bank, post office, gristmill, blacksmith shop, . . . — Map (db m68345) HM

6 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement