On North White Street at East College Street, on the left when traveling south on North White Street.
The Battle of Athens was an armed revolt that gained national attention. Attempting to end the control of an entrenched political machine, World War II veterans used force to ensure that on the day of local elections in 1946 every vote “was . . . — — Map (db m49561) HM
On North Jackson Street (Business Route 11) at Roy Street, on the left when traveling north on North Jackson Street.
Established in 1889 as a Presbyterian mission, First United Presbyterian Church was constructed in 1892 in the Gothic Revival Style by descendants of former slaves. The church played a major role in the area's educational history, serving as the . . . — — Map (db m107922) HM
On Ingleside Avenue (Tennessee Route 305) at Old Niota Road, on the right when traveling north on Ingleside Avenue.
300 yards east is the house in which John Tyler Morgan (1824–1907) was born. A brigadier general in the Confederate Army, he later served for 30 years as United States Senator from Alabama. He distinguished himself by promoting legislation in . . . — — Map (db m49575) HM
Near Green Street (Tennessee Route 30) south of Forrest Avenue, on the right when traveling south.
Petty-Manker Hall was built in 1913 as a dormitory for men. It was named in honor of the Reverend J.S. Petty and the Reverend J.J. Manker, class of 1873. The four-story brick building was erected at a cost of $25,000, which was contributed by John A . . . — — Map (db m49574) HM
On Interstate 75N 3 miles north of Riceville Decatur Road (Tennessee Route 39), on the right when traveling north.
This interstate highway parallels the historic line of the East Tennessee & Georgia Railroads. In September 1863, Union Gen. Ambrose E. Burnside led his army toward Knoxville along the line to take control of the strategically vital city.
At . . . — — Map (db m117807) HM
Near Interstate 75 at milepost 45, on the right when traveling south.
This interstate highway parallels the historic line of the East Tennessee & Georgia Railroad. Late in 1863, Union and Confederate armies followed the tracks during a series of battles in the fight for control of Chattanooga, a strategically vital . . . — — Map (db m97343) HM
On North Jackson Street (Business U.S. 11) north of East Hornsby Street, on the left when traveling north.
This was one of the houses built by this itinerant contractor, who left Botetourt Co., Va., in 1823 and made his way south building houses, taking pay in “gold, notes or Negroes”. In 1836 it was the central office for the Hiawassee R.R., . . . — — Map (db m49571) HM
On North Jackson Street (Business U.S. 11) at East College Street, on the right when traveling north on North Jackson Street.
Organized in 1857 as Athens Female College and sponsored then by the Holston Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. The name of the college has been changed several times, but it has been related to some branch of the Methodist Church . . . — — Map (db m82258) HM
On Coach Farmer Drive east of North Jackson Street (Business U.S. 11), on the right when traveling east.
A wounded English officer from Fort Loudon was befriended by an Indian Chief and nursed back to health by Nocatula, daughter of the Chief. The soldier, given the name of Connestoga, “The Oak,” was accepted into the tribe and married . . . — — Map (db m82259) HM
On Lee Highway (U.S. 11) at Etowah Road (Tennessee Route 163), on the right when traveling south on Lee Highway.
500 yards southeast is buried Joseph McMinn, governor of Tennessee, 1815-1821. A Quaker, born in Pennsylvania, he came to Hawkins County in 1790. He also served in the State Constitutional Convention, 1796; State Senate, 1798–1812; Speaker of . . . — — Map (db m49560) HM
On South Niota Road (Tennessee Route 39), on the right when traveling south.
Expansion of textile manufacturing into the Southern states provided the first large-scale “public work” opportunities for local women. Englewood’s textile workforce, from the workers of the first spinning mill built on a nearby farm in . . . — — Map (db m109276) HM
On L and North Drive (Tennessee Route 411), on the right when traveling north.
The Louisville and Nashville (L&N) built Etowah between 1904 and 1906 as division headquarters for its new Cincinnati to Atlanta line. Workers were transferred from other L&N facilities or recruited from nearby farming communities, other states, and . . . — — Map (db m109275) HM
On L and North Drive (U.S. 411), on the right when traveling north.
In 1902, the L&N Railroad was searching for a location between Atlanta and Knoxville to build their Southern Division Headquarters on a new, more direct route between the two cities. This new line would bypass the mountainous area of the Hiwassee . . . — — Map (db m120191) HM
On Tennessee Avenue (U.S. 411), on the right when traveling north.
This monument perpetuates the memory of our beloved countrymen, members of Company L, 117th Infantry, and others who served in the World War from the Third District of McMinn County, who, true to the instincts of their birth, faithful to the . . . — — Map (db m120471) WM
On West WilIson Street (U.S. 11) north of Burn Road (a.k.a. - Lanetown Rd), on the left when traveling north.
A native of Niota, Harry T. Burn held public office for much of his adult life; State House of Representatives, 1919-23; State Senate 1949-53; State Planning Commission 1952-58; delegate of Roane County to the Constitutional Conventions of 1953, . . . — — Map (db m82260) HM
On Main Street at Green Street, on the right when traveling north on Main Street.
Railroads played a significant role in the Civil War in East Tennessee. Commanders on both sides viewed the railroad as an important asset, not only as a carrier of military supplies, but also as the means of rapidly concentrating their forces. This . . . — — Map (db m69361) HM