Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Historical Markers in Texas

6456 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 6256
 
Pilgrim Predestinarian Regular Baptist Church Marker image, Touch for more information
By Steve Gustafson, October 10, 2010
Pilgrim Predestinarian Regular Baptist Church Marker
Texas (Anderson County), Elkhart — 8799 — Pilgrim Predestinarian Regular Baptist Church
Organized in Illinois in 1833 by Daniel Parker Members moved to Texas First meeting in Stephen F. Austin's Colony January 20, 1834 Log church built December, 1839 Old graveyard adjoins. Present church fourth on the same site . . . — Map (db m36924) HM
Texas (Anderson County), Frankston — 8756 — Frankston Railroad Depot
In 1900 the Texas & New Orleans Railroad, now part of the Southern Pacific line, platted the town of Frankston. The station was first called Frankport and the post office Ayres. Both were renamed Frankston in 1902 for Miss Frankie Miller, who gave . . . — Map (db m102007) HM
Texas (Anderson County), Frankston — 8770 — Site of the Kickapoo Battlefield
Here General Thomas J. Rusk with 200 Texans on October 16, 1838, attacked a band of hostile Indians and allied Mexicans, molestors of frontier settlements, and routed them. — Map (db m102008) HM
Texas (Anderson County), Neches — 8780 — Murdoch McDonald
Murdoch McDonald was born in North Carolina on February 15, 1810, the son of Scottish immigrants. About 1832 he went to Georgia, where he met Dr. George Lester. In 1839, McDonald, along with Lester and his family, came to Texas. Settling in the . . . — Map (db m136105) HM
Texas (Anderson County), Palestine — 8731 — Anderson County
Created March 24, 1846, from Houston County Organized July 13, 1846 with Palestine as the county seat Named in honor of Kenneth Lewis Anderson Vice-President of the Republic of Texas 1844-45 — Map (db m128942) HM
Texas (Anderson County), Palestine — 8732 — Anderson County Courthouse
Created by the Texas Legislature on March 24, 1846, Anderson County was named for former Republic of Texas Vice President Kenneth L. Anderson. The first court in the new county was held in a log house at nearby Fort Houston in 1846. The first . . . — Map (db m128934) HM
Texas (Anderson County), Palestine — 16925 — Col. Homer Garrison, Jr.
Born in Kickapoo (Anderson Co.) in 1901, Homer Garrison was the son of Mattie (Milam) and Homer Garrison, Sr. The family moved to Angelina County, where Homer, Sr. served as District Clerk. Homer, Jr. graduated from Lufkin High School and worked for . . . — Map (db m128944) HM
Texas (Anderson County), Palestine — 16336 — Dr. Bonner Frizzell
Bonner Frizzell was born in the Pine Grove Community, near Athens, in 1882. He was the son of William Asachel and Frances Missouri (Knight) Frizzell. Bonner attended high school at Bruce Academy in Athens and then moved to Tyler to attend Tyler . . . — Map (db m128978) HM
Texas (Anderson County), Palestine — 8740 — Governor Thomas Mitchell Campbell(April 22, 1856 - April 1, 1923)
Born near Rusk in Cherokee County, Thomas Mitchell Campbell was the son of Thomas Duncan and Rachel (Moore) Campbell. He financed his education by working for the County Clerk in Longview. In 1878 Campbell was admitted to the Bar and opened his law . . . — Map (db m128941) HM
Texas (Anderson County), Palestine — 8803 — John H. Reagan
John Henninger Reagan, son of Timothy and Elizabeth Lusk Reagan, was born on October 18, 1818, in Sevierville, Tennessee. He joined the Republic of Texas Army in 1839 and served in the Cherokee War. In the early 1840s, he held several public offices . . . — Map (db m128981) HM
Texas (Anderson County), Palestine — 8802 — John H. Reagan Monument
(Front):John H. Reagan (Right):"The Old Roman's highest ambition was to do his full duty; consciousness of having done it was his ample reward." (Left):"A good name is rather to be chosen than great riches, and loving favor . . . — Map (db m17496) HM
Texas (Anderson County), Palestine — 12630 — Micham Main
Little is known about this Anderson County pioneer until he married Elizabeth Van Winkle in Crawford County, Illinois, in 1820. The Mains lived in the Illinois township of Palestine until 1833, when, drawn by a favorable change in the Mexican . . . — Map (db m128935) HM
Texas (Anderson County), Palestine — 8790 — Palestine High School
A public school system in Palestine was established in 1881 under control of the municipal government. The first classes were held at the old Palestine Female Institute (built in 1858), then a high school was built in 1888 at the Institute site on . . . — Map (db m128980) HM
Texas (Anderson County), Palestine — 8792 — Palestine Salt Works C.S.A.
(Front and southwest side): Located 6.5 miles southwest during the Civil War this salt works was assigned to produce salt for the Confederacy at a fixed price of eight dollars for a hundred-pound sack. Private customers from East Texas, . . . — Map (db m31881) HM
Texas (Anderson County), Palestine — 17650 — Purvey Lee (P. L.) Chism
P.L. Chism’s devotion to education was unsurpassed. From the time of his youth, through his many years as a teacher, principal, superintendent and supervisor, he never stopped challenging himself and others for education. Purvey Lee Chism was born . . . — Map (db m128938) HM
Texas (Anderson County), Palestine — 15921 — Robert (Bob) Knight
As a coach of athletics and a youth mentor, Robert (Bob) Knight positively influenced the lives of countless Palestine citizens. He was born in Iredell (Bosque County) in 1909, the last of eight children of William and Missouri Jane (Hand) Knight. . . . — Map (db m128977) HM
Texas (Anderson County), Palestine — 17672 — Roy B. Wallace
Roy B. Wallace was born in Coolidge, Limestone County, on October 13, 1901, to Benjamin C. Wallace, Sr. And Mae McCoy Wallace. Roy attended school in rural Limestone County and attended Texas Christian University prior to earning his Bachelor’s . . . — Map (db m128979) HM
Texas (Anderson County), Palestine — 11660 — Swanson Cemetery
Micam Main of Illinois was granted a league of land by the Mexican government in 1835. One of the area's first brickmakers, Samuel M. Warden, died while working on Main's estate on Christmas Eve in 1847. He was interred on this site. According to . . . — Map (db m128982) HM
Texas (Anderson County), Palestine — 8819 — Texas State Railroad
The Texas Prison System built a short rail line from the Rusk State Penitentiary to hardwood timber stands where charcoal was made for firing the prison's iron ore furnaces. The rail line became the foundation of the Texas State Railway, organized . . . — Map (db m128983) HM
Texas (Anderson County), Palestine — 17304 — Timothy Stephen Smith(February 20, 1902 - April 30, 2000)
Born the son of a runaway slave, Smith yearned for a better life. He attended Prairie View A&M College and received a degree in Vocational Agriculture. He became a teacher, educating the children of North Carolina and Texas for 42 years. He also . . . — Map (db m128939) HM
Texas (Anderson County), Palestine — 12643 — Woodhouse SchoolSite of
Woodhouse School began with the consolidation of the Long Lake, Tucker and Magnolia schools into Consolidated Common School District No. 7. These were all small schools, each with two teachers: one for grades one through four and another for grades . . . — Map (db m136004) HM
Texas (Andrews County), Andrews — 167 — Andrews County
. . . — Map (db m61419) HM
Texas (Andrews County), Andrews — 168 — Andrews County Discovery Well(½ mi. S, & ½ mi. W.)
C.E. Ogden No. 1, producing 200 barrels a day from San Andres lime formation was brought in, Dec. 1929, by Deep Rock Oil Co.--The Andrews County discovery well and first of 730 wells in Fuhrman-Masco oil field. Bought, Feb. 1932, by . . . — Map (db m61380) HM
Texas (Andrews County), Andrews — Andrews County Veterans Memorial
Andrews County Veterans Memorial was dedicated on the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month of 2006. All veterans that are living or deceased that served in the military will be eligible. The veteran must be honorably discharged and born, . . . — Map (db m110153) WM
Texas (Andrews County), Andrews — 407 — Billionth Barrel
On May 25, 1965, from one of 7,400 producing oil wells in the county's 196 fields, came the Billionth Barrel of Andrews County crude oil. In the 35 years and 5 months since oil flowed from the county's discovery well, C.E. Ogden No. 1, in Dec. . . . — Map (db m61377) HM
Texas (Andrews County), Andrews — 1257 — Dorsie M. Pinnell(June 25, 1875-July 23, 1939)
Descendant of a Virginian who fought in the American Revolution. Came to Texas at 17 for health. Served (1898-1899) in Spanish-American War, Co. K, 1st Texas Inf. Vol. Regt. Later took up ranching in Andrews County. Married Jessie Whitten; had 4 . . . — Map (db m61373) HM
Texas (Andrews County), Andrews — 1350 — Early Settlersof Andrews County
One of last frontiers of Texas. Anglo settlement here lagged 60 years behind rest of state due to Indians and scarcity of water. In 1886 O.B. Holt became first man to file for county land. First settlers included the Cowden brothers and Peter . . . — Map (db m61375) HM
Texas (Andrews County), Andrews — 1923 — Florey Park
Named for old town of Florey, established as a post office 7 miles to the northeast in 1909, prior to the organization of Andrews County, June 1910. In heart of the Means Oil Field, opened 1930, this park is at site of a 1934-1958 camp of . . . — Map (db m61421) HM
Texas (Andrews County), Andrews — 2051 — Frankel City
In 1941 the Fullerton Oil Company of California struck oil near this site, and by 1945 more than 100 drilling rigs were in operation. The discovery brought great numbers of workers into the area, resulting in the establishment of the town of . . . — Map (db m61418) HM
Texas (Andrews County), Andrews — 3311 — Means Methodist Church(First church in Andrews County)
Organized in 1907 by circuit preacher F.T . Pollard and seven charter members. The group held services in local school until 1912, when a one-room church was built, financed by donations of members, including a generous gift from rancher J.S. Means. . . . — Map (db m61379) HM
Texas (Andrews County), Andrews — 3361 — Midland and Northwestern Railroad
Chartered Jan. 16, 1916, by Midland Farms Co., which was owned by David Fasken of Toronto, Canada. The 65 miles of road were completed from Midland to Seminole in 1918. Operated with an engine borrowed from Texas and Pacific Railway until 1920, when . . . — Map (db m110192) HM
Texas (Andrews County), Andrews — 166 — Original Townsite of Andrews
Founded when Andrews County was organized, in 1910, on land owned by Robert Madison Means (b. 1878). With his father, J.S. Means, "Bob" Means began homesteading here in 1899 and organized an abstract company in 1909. When Andrews battled Shafter . . . — Map (db m61374) HM
Texas (Andrews County), Andrews — 4653 — Shafter Lake Townsite
First town in yet-unorganized Andrews County. Platted 1908. Named for lake charted in 1875 survey of Col. Wm. R. Shafter, whose maps and victories over powerful Indians opened the Permian Basin to settlement. Water trough built by John . . . — Map (db m61420) HM
Texas (Andrews County), Andrews — 4654 — Shafter's Trail
In 1875, Col. Wm. R. Shafter and a company of soldiers traveled from Fort Concho (where San Angelo is today) to Monument Springs, N. Mex., charting the arid plains, mapping all the vital watering places. This marker is in the only town of . . . — Map (db m61376) HM
Texas (Andrews County), Andrews — Two Billionth Barrel
Andrews County produced it’s 2nd billionth barrel of crude oil August 21, 1981. Sixteen years and 96 days after its first billionth barrel came from beneath the county’s 1500 square miles. In producing two billion barrels in 52 years, Andrews . . . — Map (db m61378) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Burke — 6983 — Burke Methodist Church
Founded in 1889 by a small group of Methodists, this church has played an integral role in the history of the community. H. and Nannie Belote donated land to the congregation in 1894, and the first church building was completed in 1901. It was moved . . . — Map (db m30331) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Burke — 11655 — Burke School
The community of Burke was established along the Houston, East and West Texas Railroad in 1882. S.J. and Nancy Arrington conveyed one acre of land adjoining the town on which to establish a public school. The first building, a one-room structure, . . . — Map (db m37848) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Burke — 6995 — Fairview School
The Angelina County School Board created Fairview Common School District Number 69 in the late 1800s. A one-room schoolhouse was built that served students from a wide rural area. The first school term, in 1898, was five months long. Fairview . . . — Map (db m79121) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Central — 12780 — Central Consolidated School
This school traces its origin to five small schools in the Pollok-Central area; Union, Durant, Pollok, Clawson, and Allentown. An effort to solve the problem of inadequate funding for each of these rural schools led to their consolidation in 1929 as . . . — Map (db m29237) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Central — 14796 — Gann Memorial Cemetery
This burial ground, which contains over 3,000 graves, has served area residents since the mid-1800s. In 1860, Nathan W. Gann, who came to Texas with his family in 1836, donated this property and a church building he constructed to Williams Chapel . . . — Map (db m28290) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Diboll — 6989 — Diboll
A sawmill established here in 1894 by T.L.L. Temple gave rise to a town that by 1900 contained a commissary, post office, churches, homes, and schools run by the Southern Pine Lumber Company. The town was named for the Diboll family of New Orleans . . . — Map (db m30360) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Diboll — 6993 — Emporia
Emporia Lumber Company co-owner S.F. Carter and M.T. Jones purchased over 5,000 acres of land in south Angelina County and established a company town named Emporia in 1893. The town included sawmill facilities, a railroad spur to ship lumber, . . . — Map (db m37824) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Diboll — 6998 — First Methodist Church of Diboll
This congregation was founded about 1897, soon after Diboll was established as a sawmill town. Early worship services were held in a local schoolhouse and in a two-story structure shared with the local Baptist congregation and fraternal . . . — Map (db m38057) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Diboll — 8715 — Old Diboll Library
Built about 1908 by T.L.L. Temple for his Southern Pine Lumber Company employees, this building served for many years as a community library and recreation hall. While the lower floor included a reading room and recreational facilities, the upper . . . — Map (db m38050) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Diboll — 8718 — Prairie Grove
The community of Prairie Grove began in 1845 and became a place for early settlers to gather. A cemetery began in 1849 when the young daughter of John M. and Caroline Stovall died. In the 1880s a school/church building was erected near the cemetery, . . . — Map (db m79123) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Diboll — 8720 — Ryan Chapel
Founded 1866, after new settler, Rev. Issac Ryan, had Methodist revival in home before occupying it. His brother John was one of 19 charter members. L.H.D. and Sallie Guinn gave 7.5 acres for church and cemetery. First 16 by 20-ft. church had . . . — Map (db m37821) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Diboll — 8726 — Thomas Lewis Latane Temple(1859-1935)
Virginia native Thomas Lewis Latane Temple, son of Henry W.L. and Susan (Jones) Temple, moved to Texarkana, Texas, in 1877. He married Georgie D. Fowlkes in 1880. In 1893 Temple organized the Southern Pine Lumber Company in Texarkana and began . . . — Map (db m30374) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Huntington — 11713 — Huntington
Settlers attempted to form a townsite in this area in the 1890s, but it was not until the arrival of the railroad lines that it attracted a thriving population. Carved from virgin forests in the heyday of the southern pine timber industry and . . . — Map (db m34882) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Huntington — 7003 — Joseph Herrington
When Angelina County was organized in 1845, Alabama native Joseph Herrington (1823-89) was one of six men appointed by the legislature who set boundary lines and selected Marion as the first seat of government. That same year, at the age of 22, he . . . — Map (db m32054) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Huntington — 7008 — Site of the Town of Jonesville
Site of the town of Jonesville Second county seat of Angelina County August 22, 1854 ••• May 19,1858 — Map (db m37243) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Lufkin — Angelina
In 1690, when Spain's Franciscan Fathers founded Mission San Francisco de los Tejas in East Texas, they found a young Indian girl living with her people beside a stream. The priests found her a willing ally for carrying the Catholic Faith to the . . . — Map (db m27249) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Lufkin — 12377 — Angelina & Neches River Railroad
Chartered in August 1900 and headquartered in the sawmill town of Keltys, the Angelina and Neches River (A&NR) Railroad began as a small short line railroad to move logs from the woods of East Texas to the mills of the Angelina County Lumber . . . — Map (db m29735) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Lufkin — 6981 — Angelina County
Created and organized in 1846. Originally a part of Nacogdoches County. Bears the name of the river traversing the region. The following towns have served as the county seat; Marion,1846-1854; Jonesville,1854-1858; Homer, Feb. 3 - May 17, 1858, when . . . — Map (db m29862) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Lufkin — 14367 — Berry Cemetery
In 1850, Samuel and Elizabeth Berry brought their family and slaves here from Limestone Co., Alabama. Samuel's plantation covered hundreds of acres and included a cotton gin and gristmill. Berry Cemetery began in 1863 when Samuel's grandson and . . . — Map (db m36110) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Lufkin — 8722 — Birthplace of Allan ShiversGovernor of Texas (1949-1957)
Born here, in now-razed house, Oct. 5, 1907, to Robert and Easter C. Shivers, pioneer East Texas family. As youth, worked at odd jobs to earn own pocket money. Was State Senator 12 years; Lieutenant Governor for two. A strong, progressive Governor, . . . — Map (db m58855) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Lufkin — 6984 — Calder (Cotton) Square
City's hub, 1882-early 1900s, teeming with cotton buying, horse trades, band concerts, political rallies, switching railroad trains. Site of fire station, standpipe, 1933 memorial library named for lumberman J. H. Kurth (1857-1930), square was . . . — Map (db m29199) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Lufkin — Charles "Charlie" Wilson
June 1, 1933 - February 10, 2010 United States Naval Officer and 12-Term United States Representative, 2nd District of Texas A Sonnet to Charlie Now before us in bronze, he once again stands tall: Beloved Texan, who heard his . . . — Map (db m39781) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Lufkin — 8709 — City of Lufkin
Founded 1882. Soon became a thriving sawmill community. Named for E.P. Lufkin, chief of crew that surveyed railroad through town. Has been county seat of Angelina County since 1892. Now a regional manufacturing and commerce center. Products include . . . — Map (db m28715) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Lufkin — 6994 — Ewing
The boom town of Ewing stood for two decades on the west bank of the Angelina River. Named for plantation owner James A. Ewing, the town was located near a rail line and virgin hardwood forests. In 1919 H.G. Bohissen purchased a 100-acre tract of . . . — Map (db m32058) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Lufkin — 6996 — First Baptist Church of Lufkin
Chartered with nine members, the Lufkin Baptist Church began conducting worship services soon after rail lines reached the townsite in the early 1880s. The Houston, East & West Texas Railroad donated land at this site to Joseph Kerr, E.H.F. . . . — Map (db m27247) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Lufkin — 6997 — First Christian Church of Lufkin
A Christian church was organized in Angelina County about 1884 in Homer, the county seat. When the railroad line from Houston to Shreveport was built about 5 miles from Homer, the town of Lufkin was built around the depot. Many citizens of Homer . . . — Map (db m57551) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Lufkin — 11656 — First United Methodist Church of Lufkin
Margaret (Fullerton) Abney, born in Alabama in 1829, joined the Methodist church with her family at a camp meeting held at nearby McKendree campground in 1863. Because the nearest Methodist church was ten miles away, Mrs. Abney held bible study . . . — Map (db m28482) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Lufkin — 13709 — German POWs in the East Texas Timber Industry
The U.S. Army began building POW camps in the United States in early 1942 for captured Axis prisoners. During World War II, the Army shipped almost 425,000 military prisoners to 511 camps in the U.S. Approximately 50,000 of those POWs, primarily . . . — Map (db m29450) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Lufkin — 7006 — Homer Cemetery
In 1854 W.W. Manning established a drugstore and sawmill in this area, and named the community after his former home in Homer, Louisiana. In 1856 Homer was chosen as Angelina County seat, following a mandate from the Texas Legislature to locate a . . . — Map (db m31713) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Lufkin — 7007 — Hoshall
The Houston East and West Texas (HE&WT) Railroad came through Angelina County in 1882 and a community named Bitterweed Flat developed here. In 1913 W.E. Hoshall purchased land and timber rights in the area and began shipping logs from Hoshall Switch . . . — Map (db m36108) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Lufkin — 7009 — Kerr's Inc.
Regarded as the oldest Angelina County business in continuous operation, Kerr's began in 1870 as a general store in the early county seat of Homer (5 mi. SE). It was started by Civil War veteran Capt. Joseph Kerr (b. 1828), a native of South . . . — Map (db m29153) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Lufkin — 16011 — KRBA-AM Radio Station
By the 1930s, radio had become an established medium for commercial advertising. In 1938, commercial radio came to Angelina County when Redland Broadcasting Association received the first license in the area. Station manager Darrell Yates financed, . . . — Map (db m38722) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Lufkin — 8708 — Lindsey Springs Logging Camp
The naturally occurring Lindsey Springs, located approximately 3/4 of a mile northeast of this location, became the site in 1899 of the Southern Pine Lumber Company's first logging camp. The springs provided an important water source for this vital . . . — Map (db m79122) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Lufkin — 8711 — Lufkin Foundry and Machine Company
Chartered in 1902 as a repair shop and parts supply house for local sawmills, Lufkin Foundry & Machine Company was begun by J.H. Kurth, Frank Kavanaugh, Sr., Frank Kavanaugh, Jr., Eli Wiener and Simon Henderson. Later, under the leadership of W.C. . . . — Map (db m29845) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Lufkin — 11657 — Lufkin Telephone Exchange
Telephone service in Lufkin began in 1898 when Dr. Alexander Madison Denman and his friend Judge Edwin James Mantooth strung telephone wires between their offices. The system was so popular that the pair soon formed the Lufkin Telephone Exchange . . . — Map (db m29355) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Lufkin — 6992 — Machinery from Early East Texas Logging Railroads
Steam locomotive and tender No. 3 were bought 1908 by Carter-Kelley Lumber Co., for use in building a sawmill at Manning (about 18 mi. south); then in railroad building, logging, and passenger and freight hauling schedules. The 1906 wood-burning . . . — Map (db m28803) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Lufkin — 16955 — Mantooth Farm
Members of the Mantooth family came to Angelina County in 1858. Albert Edwin (Eddie) Mantooth (1874-1969) was born in Homer, Angelina County, to Albert and Mary Richard Hall Mantooth. In 1897, Eddie married Sarah Annie Atkinson Mantooth (1879-1914). . . . — Map (db m58779) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Lufkin — 8721 — Original site of St. Cyprian's Episcopal Church
The first Episcopal service in Lufkin was held in 1893 by the Rev. George L. Crocket for the W.G. Barron and R.B. Shearer families. St. Mary's Mission was established in 1895 by the Rev. C.M. Beckwith, but the congregation did not have a permanent . . . — Map (db m26886) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Lufkin — 8719 — Redland Baptist Church
Liberty Baptist Church, established in the Redland community in 1859, became Redland Baptist Church after reorganizing in 1895. Worship services were held in a local schoolhouse until 1924 when the congregation built its first sanctuary. A new . . . — Map (db m28483) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Lufkin — 8713 — Site of Martin Wagon Company
David Webster Martin (d. 1916) and his two sons opened a small wagon shop here in 1908. An inventor and designer, Martin developed various wagons for use in the lumber industry. In partnership with B.L. Zeagler, he incorporated the operation as the . . . — Map (db m27228) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Lufkin — 7005 — Site of Rehearsal Hall for The Hoo Hoo Band
At the turn of the century, a group of Lufkin men organized a town brass band. It later became known as the Hoo Hoo Band after representing Texas at a national convention of the Order of Hoo Hoo, an organization of American and Canadian lumbermen. . . . — Map (db m29146) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Lufkin — 7004 — Site of the town of Homer
Also known as Angelina Third county seat of Angelina County, 1858 - 1890 — Map (db m31629) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Lufkin — 8724 — Southland Paper Mills, Inc.
First plant to turn southern pines into newsprint. Mill here revolutionized paper industry in the southern United States. Seeking local paper rather than foreign supplies, Southland was incorporated in 1938 and began operations, 1940. Its mills made . . . — Map (db m28963) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Lufkin — 14638 — The Civilian Conservation Corps and Forestry in Texas
Continuing efforts started in the 1920s by the Texas Forest Service (TFS), the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), established through the Emergency Conservation Work Act (1933) during the Great Depression, aided in efforts to preserve Texas forests. . . . — Map (db m29427) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Lufkin — 6988 — The Depot Explosion and Mystery
On the evening of March 2, 1913, an explosion destroyed the Houston, East & West Texas Railroad depot at this site, disrupting the town's vital source of transportation and trade. Although a body was not discovered, it was presumed a railroad . . . — Map (db m29203) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Lufkin — 12821 — W.C. Trout and the Counter-Balanced Pumping Unit
The son of an early industrial engineer, W.C. Trout (1874-1947) came to Lufkin in 1905 and joined Lufkin Foundry & Machine Co. as a shareholder and company secretary. Already a successful inventor, Trout led the diversification of the shop from . . . — Map (db m29852) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Lufkin — 12819 — Whitehouse Cemetery
According to local tradition, this cemetery may take its name from the 19th-century Cole family home, a structure whose whitewashed exterior stood out from the majority of other log houses and frame buildings in the area. It lies on what was once a . . . — Map (db m29713) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Pollok — 8717 — Pollok Baptist Church
Founded as Warren Chapel Baptist Church in 1891, this congregation became known as Pollok Baptist Church in 1896. The first meeting place was shared by the Methodist and Presbyterian churches. Land acquired in 1906 by the Baptists was the site of . . . — Map (db m29228) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Pollok — 13518 — Pollok Cemetery
Since the late 1800s, this cemetery has served the residents of the town of Pollok. Before the end of the 19th century, the Pollok community was established near a railroad. Here, Richard Blair built the settlement's first sawmill, setting Pollok's . . . — Map (db m29229) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Redland — 14371 — Walker Cemetery
This part of Angelina County has long been called Red Land, or Redland, for the red soil ridge that forms the center of the community. In 1846, Thomas R. Walker moved into the area from North Carolina. In 1851, he wed Emily Z. Briscoe, and the . . . — Map (db m26869) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Zavalla — 16536 — Camp Nancy
Camp Nancy began as one of the many logging camps established in the piney woods of East Texas during the early 20th century. The camp was first created in Nacogdoches County, but was moved to the Angelina County community of Dunkin ca. 1918. Once . . . — Map (db m37285) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Zavalla — 8727 — U.S. Forest Service in Texas
This area-heart of the Piney Woods and the East Texas forest industry--was, in 1933, cutover forests and worked-out farms. That year the Texas Legislature authorized the establishment of national forests in the state. Today Angelina, Davy . . . — Map (db m37302) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Aransas Pass — 11686 — Cementerio San Antonio de Padua
According to local lore, George Lewis (1859–1895) donated one-half acre of land at this site to the Hispanic citizens of the area for use as a cemetery, provided that he be buried in the center of the land. Handmade stones indicate burials . . . — Map (db m53744) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Fulton — 12429 — Aransas County Airport
This aviation facility developed out of a need during World War II for additional air training sites for U.S. Navy Pilots. In 1942 the Aransas County Commissioners Court offered the Civil Aeronautics Administration the use of land in the county for . . . — Map (db m53707) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Fulton — 2080 — Fulton
Located on Aransas Bay, the city of Fulton has a history closely associated with the fishing and shipping industry. The town was founded in 1867 by Geroge Ware Fulton, whose mansion is an important local landmark. Schools, churches, and businesses . . . — Map (db m53694) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Fulton — 2081 — Fulton Cemetery
Land for this community graveyard was set aside when the town of Fulton was platted by George Ware Fulton in 1868. The earliest documented burial is that of a child, Louis L. I. Greenough (1868-1869). The large number of childrens’ graves attests to . . . — Map (db m53697) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Fulton — 16305 — Fulton Community Church
Before the growth of fishing and tourism industries, Fulton was a community of only about 200 settlers. Although Sunday schools met in town, residents had to travel to Rockport for worship services. In 1943, Frank Walker, visiting the area on a . . . — Map (db m53695) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Fulton — 14 — Fulton Harbor
Fulton’s natural shoreline attracted a flourishing beef processing and distribution industry in the 1860s and 1870s. Piers and docks were built by landowners to facilitate the turtle, fishing, oyster, and shrimping industries. A steady growth began . . . — Map (db m58917) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Fulton — 2083 — Fulton Mansion
Built between 1874 and 1877 by George Ware Fulton (1810 – 1893) and his wife, Harriet Smith Fulton (1823 – 1910), this imposing residence was named “Oakhurst”. The three-story French second empire style home is of plank wall . . . — Map (db m53698) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Fulton — 13 — Fulton Packeries
Because early Fulton was surrounded by ranches and could be accessed by water, the town became a leading packing center on the Texas coast. The industry flourished from 1868 to 1882. Initially, the packeries rendered cattle hides and tallow only and . . . — Map (db m58918) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Fulton — 11 — Fulton Seafood Industry
Seafood has always been a Fulton staple. As early as the 1880s, commercial fishing for trout, redfish, sheepshead, turtles, and oysters had become significant for Fulton’s economy. About 1888, David Rockport Scrivner opened Miller Brothers Fish . . . — Map (db m58913) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Fulton — 2537 — Home of George W. Fulton
Home of George W. Fulton Born at Philadelphia, June 8, 1810 Served in the Texan Army in 1836 A pioneer resident of Refugio County After an engineering career of distinction elsewhere, he returned to Texas and became a cattle . . . — Map (db m53700) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Fulton — 3213 — Site of Marion Packing Co.
The ruins of this rendering vat mark the location of the Marion Packing Co. (spelled “Meriam” in some records), one of the dozen or more meat packing plants built in the Rockport-Fulton area in the 1860s and 1870s to process the huge . . . — Map (db m53701) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Fulton — 2733 — Site of One of the Homes of James Power
Site of one of the homes of James Power Born in Ireland, 1789 Died in Live Oak Point, Texas, 1852 With James Hewetson he was granted authority January 11, 1828 to settle 200 families in Texas Served Texas under three flags as . . . — Map (db m53708) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Fulton — 12 — Tourist Courts and Cottages
In the mid-1920s, a camp known as the “Cool Coast Camp,” located just north of Fulton, was promoted as a resort. It boasted tree-shaded cabins and tents, with a 500-foot wharf with an open-air pavilion over the water. In the 1930s, the . . . — Map (db m58916) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Lamar — 1547 — John Fagan
John Fagan Soldier in the Texas War for Independence at Goliad, 1835-1836 — Map (db m53825) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Lamar — 16924 — Mills Wharf
Mills Wharf, built by John Howard Mills in 1932, was a renowned center for waterfowl hunting and fishing from the 1930s until it was sold in 1960. It consisted of cottages, a cook house, a guide service office, a store, a tackle shop, and a unique . . . — Map (db m63716) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Lamar — 3018 — Site of the Town of Lamar
Site of the town of Lamar Named for Mirabeau B. Lamar 1798 – 1859 President of the Republic of Texas 1838 – 1841 Established in 1838 Made a Port of Entry in 1839 Sacked by Union Troops Feb. 11, 1864 . . . — Map (db m53711) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Lamar — 5103 — Stella Maris Chapel
Irish immigrant James W. Byrne (1787 – 1865), a veteran of the Texas Revolution, was an early settler of this area. He established the town of Lamar and with his wife Harriet, sold land on Aransas Bay to the Catholic Church for a chapel site. . . . — Map (db m53717) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Lamar — 5368 — The Lamar Cemetery
This burial ground originally served pioneer settlers of the Lamar community. Founded by James W. Byrne (d. 1865), a native of Ireland and a veteran of the Texas Revolution, it was named for his friend Mirabeau B. Lamar, former President of the . . . — Map (db m53713) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Rockport — 179 — Aransas County
Created out of the coastal portion of Refugio County in 1871, Aransas County is the second smallest county in Texas. Within its boundaries are three bays of the Gulf of Mexico: Copano, St. Charles, and Aransas. The area was the site of early Indian . . . — Map (db m53582) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Rockport — 180 — Aransas County
Created September 18, 1871 from Refugio County; Organized in 1871 with Rockport as the County Seat. Named for the River Nuestra Señora de Aranzazu — Map (db m53705) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Rockport — Aransas County Veterans Memorial
(center panel) Some gave some • Some gave all In loving memory of our fallen heroes of Aransas County Erected Nov. 11, 1984 by the Rockport American G. I. Forum Chapter 324-F, Texas Jose “Pepe” Zambrano, . . . — Map (db m53745) WM
Texas (Aransas County), Rockport — 16918 — Baldwin-Brundrett House
Aransas County Judge W.H. Baldwin, who promoted Rockport as a deep water port, lived in this house in the 1890s. George A. Brundrett, Jr., was a Confederate veteran and cattle rancher on 15,000 acres on Matagorda Island; his family lived here from . . . — Map (db m61067) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Rockport — 343 — Baylor-Norvell House
Located on the waterfront in a community that has survived many hurricanes, this house was built about 1868 by Dr. John W. Baylor. In addition to his medical practice Dr. Baylor owned a local meat packing business, ranched, and worked to bring a . . . — Map (db m53593) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Rockport — 16457 — Bracht House
Adolph L. Bracht (1872-1961) was born in Rockport and worked at lumber and grocery stores before establishing his own wholesale and retail grocery in 1899. He was a charter member of the Intracoastal Canal Association and active in the Chamber of . . . — Map (db m53746) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Rockport — 1041 — Connie Hagar(June 14, 1886–November 29, 1973)
Born Conger Neblett in Corsicana, and married to Jack Hagar in 1926, Connie Hagar received early training as a musician. She and her sister became interested in birds and worked as volunteers with the U.S. Biological Survey. The Hagars moved to . . . — Map (db m53706) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Rockport — 1669 — First Baptist Church of Rockport
Organized in 1873, the First Baptist Church of Rockport originally was located on S. Church Street. L.D. Young served as the first pastor. The hurricane of 1919 destroyed the first church building, but the members built a new structure at the corner . . . — Map (db m53703) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Rockport — 1767 — First Methodist Church of Rockport
The Methodist Church has been in existence in Rockport since about 1870. The Rev. H.G. Horton was assigned as pastor of the Rockport Church in 1872. The original Methodist Church building, erected at the corner of Live Oak and Bay Streets, was used . . . — Map (db m53590) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Rockport — 1799 — First National Bank of Rockport
Chartered on October 8, 1890, the First National Bank of Aransas Pass (now Rockport) was organized by a group of businessmen led by John H. Traylor, James M. Hoopes, George W. Fulton, Jr., James C. Fulton, and Richard H. Wood. Located at Main and . . . — Map (db m53748) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Rockport — 1846 — First Presbyterian Church of Rockport
This congregation traces its history to 1869. Although deactivated in 1879, it was reorganized with twenty charter members in 1889. The members met in facilities provided by other churches until their first house of worship was completed at Market . . . — Map (db m53580) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Rockport — 11685 — Frandolig Island
Dubbed “Nine Mile Point” by early settlers, this island was first used commercially by the Cushman Meat Packing Company in the late 1860s. Austrian Franz Joseph Frandolig, a horseman who had delivered cattle to Cushman & Co., homesteaded . . . — Map (db m53760) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Rockport — 2084 — Fulton-Bruhl House
Built about 1868, this vernacular early Texas home was purchased in 1872 by James C. Fulton, a noted early business and civic leader. Fulton sold the home in 1907 to his son-in-law, Albert L. Bruhl, a pharmacist and civic leader who served three . . . — Map (db m53749) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Rockport — 9 — Historic Shellcrete SquareLeadership Aransas County XIV Class Project – June 2010
Between 1935 and 1939, the Texas Highway Department constructed several roadside parks along Highway 35 in Aransas County. Local residents ~ Mrs. J.L. Bell, Harry Hertzberg, Mrs. Eli Hertzberg, Joe S. Sheldon, Arnold K. Sheldon, Harry Traylor, and . . . — Map (db m53774) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Rockport — 2557 — Hoopes-Smith House
Prominent local businessman and land developer James M. Hoopes (1839-1931) had this home built between 1890 and 1892. The home later served as a hotel and boardinghouse between 1894 and 1930. It was sold in 1934 to T. Noah Smith, Sr. (1881-1955), a . . . — Map (db m53587) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Rockport — 3256 — Mathis House
John M. Mathis (1831-1922) had this home built for his family in 1868-1869. Instrumental in platting the town of Rockport, he served as its first mayor in 1870. In 1880 he deeded the house to his cousin, Thomas H. Mathis (1834-1899), a leading . . . — Map (db m53594) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Rockport — 13692 — Moore House
Built in 1906, this house was the vision of James Edward (J. Ed) and Josephine Kennedy Moore. The two were married from 1903 until 1915, when Josephine passed away. J. Ed was a business owner who served several terms as Rockport’s mayor between the . . . — Map (db m53743) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Rockport — 4073 — Port Bay Hunting and Fishing Club
Danish native Andrew Sorenson (1864-1941), established a reputation as a hunting and fishing guide in this area in the early 20th century. He bought 240 acres of land (.5 mi. W) in 1909 and in 1912 incorporated the private Port Bay Hunting and . . . — Map (db m53761) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Rockport — 4325 — Rockport
The town of Rockport was founded by cattlemen J.M. and T.H. Mathis in 1867. Originally a part of Refugio County, it became county seat of newly formed Aransas County in 1871. Shipping and fishing provided the primary economic base of the town in its . . . — Map (db m53704) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Rockport — 4326 — Rockport Cemetery
This cemetery has served the citizens of Rockport and Fulton for over a century. The oldest marked grave is that of Emma Fulton (d. 1876), granddaughter of George Ware Fulton, who was instrumental in the development of the area and was interred in . . . — Map (db m53596) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Rockport — 16785 — Rockport Marine Laboratory
In 1935, Rockport Marine Lab was set up aboard the houseboat “Vivian” in Rockport Harbor to assist the Texas Game, Fish and Oyster Commission with Fisheries management. In 1947, a permanent lab was built on the harbor, a state of the art . . . — Map (db m64468) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Rockport — 13653 — Rockport School
Rockport School has served the town of Rockport for many years as both an educational and community institution. It dates to 1935, during the era of the Great Depression. One of President Franklin D. Roosevelt’s New Deal programs to combat the . . . — Map (db m53578) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Rockport — 4 — Rockport’s Grand Hotels
Before the arrival of the railroad in 1888, hotels in Rockport generally served clientele of the several local packeries. The Congdon Hotel was the leading hostelry of early Rockport and once served as a boarding home to the prominent Robert . . . — Map (db m53769) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Rockport — 8 — Rockport’s Harbor
In 1866, James Doughty and Richard H. Wood, searching for a safe harbor location to ship cattle, built pens and a livestock-shipping wharf on “Rocky Point,” a prominent limestone protrusion that extended into Aransas Bay near present-day . . . — Map (db m53787) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Rockport — 7 — Rockport’s Seafood Industry
Rockport’s commercial seafood companies have been operating for more than one hundred years. By 1903, David Rockport Scrivner had opened a fish house. In 1907, he sold to Roy Jackson who named the operation the Jackson Fish Company. A few years . . . — Map (db m53772) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Rockport — 5 — Rockport’s Wharves and Pavilions
Since 1866, wharves and piers have been a part of Rockport’s shores. The first wharf, constructed to ship cattle, was at Rocky Point. Other wharves handled commercial shipping and passenger traffic. Sorenson’s Wharf extended into the bay behind the . . . — Map (db m53770) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Rockport — 4428 — Sacred Heart Catholic Church
Roman Catholic priests visited the Rockport area as early as 1838. The first mass in the town of Rockport was celebrated in the home of County Judge John Hynes in 1860, and services continued there for a number of years. Although property was deeded . . . — Map (db m53585) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Rockport — Shipyards in Rockport
Shipbuilding was a natural industry for Rockport. The earliest recorded ship built here was the Connie, constructed in 1880 by Bludworth & Company. The Bludworth family specialized in building pleasure craft and scows. In 1917, World War . . . — Map (db m58824) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Rockport — 183 — Site of Aransas Hotel
Built in 1889 by civic leader and politician John H. Traylor, the Aransas Hotel covered this city block. The three-story structure, a major tourist attraction in Rockport had about 100 rooms and a massive open dining room with a 200 person capacity. . . . — Map (db m53583) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Rockport — 2427 — Site of Heldenfels Shipyard
Shipping industries flourished on the Rockport waterfront by the 1880s. Heldenfels Shipyard was established here on 12.9 acres in October 1917. Four 281-foot wooden cargo vessels were to be built for military use in World War I; the . . . — Map (db m53595) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Rockport — 15535 — Sorenson-Stair Building
Simon Sorenson, a native of Denmark, bought Brunner’s Mercantile at this site in 1886. The building was originally two stories, rebuilt after an 1895 fire. The Sorensons received weather reports by telegraph, posted updates in the display windows . . . — Map (db m53592) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Rockport — 5078 — St. Peter’s Episcopal Church
The Rt. Rev. Alexander Gregg, Bishop of the Diocese of Texas, officiated at the dedication of St. Peter’s Episcopal Church in Rockport on November 30, 1871. Led by lay ministers for much of its early history, St. Peter’s first was located at the . . . — Map (db m53581) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Rockport — The Big Blue Crab
Rockport’s original Big Blue Crab started out on the Del Mar Grill on Austin Street. In 1957, the Grill was run by Dorothy and Sal Silverman, and the specialty was Dorothy’s famous crab cakes. The Big Crab was 18 feet wide and 22 feet deep and was . . . — Map (db m63660) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Rockport — 16784 — The Cedars
Tourism has been a major part of the Rockport economy for generations, but in the 1920s and 1930s with the rise of the automobile, more visitors began to travel to the area. The Cedars, built in 1928 by Dr. Joe and Mabel Bryant, became a popular . . . — Map (db m60573) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Rockport — The Hagar’s Rockport Cottages
This property was the site of the famous Rockport Cottages purchased in 1934 by Connie and Jack Hagar from Corsicana, Texas. Jack managed the cottages while Connie (1886–1973) pursued her passion for nature. Birds were Connie’s major interest, . . . — Map (db m63659) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Rockport — 1 — The Old Beach Road
In early Rockport, many prominent families lived on what was called the Old Beach Road, now Water Street. Paved with white crushed shell, the road was lined with huisache, anacua, wild persimmon, prickly ash trees, dewberry vines, and stately homes. . . . — Map (db m53767) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Rockport — 3 — The Old Courthouse
For more than 60 years, Rockport’s skyline was dominated by an imposing, three-story Moorish-inspired courthouse. It was the first major building designed by J. Riely Gordon, who would become one of Texas’ most famous architects. Born in Virginia in . . . — Map (db m53768) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Rockport — 6 — The Packeries of Rockport
After the Civil War, Rockport became an important cattle ranching and shipping center. In 1866, James Doughty, T.H. Mathis, and John M. Mathis constructed cattle pens, with a long wharf that extended out into Aransas Bay from “Rocky . . . — Map (db m53771) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Rockport — 4327 — The Rockport Pilot
The earliest newspaper in this area was “The Vaquero”, published by Charles F. Bailey and Geraldo A. Beeman in St. Mary’s in 1868. In 1869 Bailey moved to Rockport and founded “The Transcript”, which continued in operation . . . — Map (db m53588) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Rockport — 4522 — The San Antonio and Aransas Pass Railroad in Rockport
During its early years Rockport relied on Gulf shipping for goods and services. After the arrival of the San Antonio and Aransas Pass Railroad in 1888, however, the town’s economic focus changed to include rail shipping and a burgeoning tourism . . . — Map (db m53589) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Rockport — 15786 — Woman’s Club of Aransas County Building
In March 1948, Mrs. Fred B. Hunt issued a call to organize the Woman’s Civic Club. One of the club’s major early activities was financing a permanent building for the organization. Later that year the recreation building for Humble Oil Company . . . — Map (db m53586) HM
Texas (Archer County), Archer City — 190 — Archer County Copper Mines(¼ mile northeast and 5 miles to the south southeast)
The civilized world first heard of copper in this area from Texas Rangers after an 1860 campaign against Comanches on the Pease River, about 100 miles to the northwest. The Ranger Captain, Lawrence S. ("Sul") Ross, later to serve Texas as Governor, . . . — Map (db m17912) HM
Texas (Archer County), Holliday — 14861 — Maggie and Herod "Pap" Simpson
The town of Holliday was officially organized near Holliday Creek in 1890, when the city was platted. The Wichita Valley Railway was built through the area, and a post office was established. In that same year, Maggie Elizabeth Holt and H.W. Simpson . . . — Map (db m128750) HM
Texas (Armstrong County), Claude — 11 — "The Claude News"
Established as the "Argus," Jan. 1, 1890, in the new railroad town of Claude. Later it merged with "Goodnight News" to become "Claude News." First publisher, W. S. Decker, sold paper to B. F. Hines, who sold to J. H. Hamner, in 1892. His daughter . . . — Map (db m100448) HM
Texas (Armstrong County), Claude — 202 — Armstrong County
Created 1876. Name honors several Texas pioneers named Armstrong. Ranching became the chief industry when huge JA Ranch was established here in 1876. Farming was introduced after the railroad came through, 1887. County was organized in 1890. . . . — Map (db m96833) HM
Texas (Armstrong County), Claude — 203 — Armstrong County Jail
Erected in 1953, this building is constructed of stone used to build the first masonry jail in Armstrong County, 1894. Stone for the structure (which replaced a primitive, frame "calaboose") was quarried 14 miles south at Dripping Springs in Palo . . . — Map (db m96830) HM
Texas (Armstrong County), Claude — 478 — Boy Scout Troop No. 17
One of the oldest Scout troops west of the Mississippi River, this group was organized in May 1912 by pioneer physician Dr. W. A. Warner (1864-1934). The first troop of about 30 boys met in a room above Dr. Warner's drugstore and office. Because of . . . — Map (db m96837) HM
Texas (Armstrong County), Claude — 817 — Charles H. RoanMarine Private First Class — (Aug. 16, 1923 - Sept. 18, 1944) —
Winner, Congressional Medal of Honor for heroism during the Allied Forces’ invasion of Peleliu in the western Pacific in World War II. On July 21, 1945, he was decorated posthumously by presentation of his medal to his mother, Armstrong County . . . — Map (db m62834) HM
Texas (Armstrong County), Claude — 818 — Charles Howard Roan(August 16, 1923 — September 18, 1944)
Claude native Charles H. Roan volunteered for World War II service in the U.S. Marine Corps in December 1942. On active duty in the Pacific, he was killed in battle on Peleliu Island when he threw himself on a Japanese grenade, thereby saving the . . . — Map (db m96839) HM
Texas (Armstrong County), Claude — 906 — Claude Cemetery(Established 1890)
Dan Cavanagh settled here in 1885 and bought this land in 1888. In 1890 he gave a grave site for railroad worker Neal DeBerry. Settler C.C. Bates was buried in 1890, and early burials from the Fort Worth & Denver Railroad right-of-way were later . . . — Map (db m100495) HM
Texas (Armstrong County), Claude — 1284 — Dr. and Mrs. Wm. A. Warner
Two of the most admired and beloved pioneer citizens of Armstrong County, Dr. Warner (1864-1934) was a country physician and his wife Phebe (Kerrick) (1866-1935) was an ardent humanitarian. Natives of Illinois, they were married in Claude in . . . — Map (db m96834) HM
Texas (Armstrong County), Claude — 1295 — Dugout of W. M. Dye
William Miles Dye was born in Kentucky in 1864 and moved to Texas with his parents in 1870. He settled in this area in 1891, one year after the organization of Armstrong County. By hauling rock from Palo Duro Canyon, Dye helped in the construction . . . — Map (db m100511) HM
Texas (Armstrong County), Claude — 1354 — Early Sheriffsof Armstrong County, 1890-1926
Inheriting peacekeeping duty from 1874-90 ranchers, the early sheriffs of Armstrong County (organized 1890) won great public regard. With their families, these men lived in jail quarters and fed the prisoners. There was no salary; fees were earned . . . — Map (db m96831) HM
Texas (Armstrong County), Claude — 1622 — First Baptist Church of Claude
Organized on May 18, 1890, by 19 charter members, with the Rev. B. E. Hure as moderator. The Rev. Count C. Storts was the first resident pastor. The congregation worshipped in the Presbyterian church building until 1899, when a frame sanctuary was . . . — Map (db m100492) HM
Texas (Armstrong County), Claude — 5816 — Park Named for William A. Carroll, M.D.(April 13, 1875-April 22, 1960)
Born in Chester County, Tenn., son of Joseph Cyrus and Emily Kirk Carroll. Married Claudia Haltom, 1900. Graduated 1901 from University of Tennessee. Moved to Claude, 1914. In career of 54 years, delivered over 2500 babies. A staunch Democrat; a . . . — Map (db m100494) HM
Texas (Armstrong County), Claude — 4284 — Roadside Park on Hamblen Drive
Named for Will H. Hamblen (1878 - 1952), who in 1890's pioneered a crude road (about 6 mi. N) into Palo Duro Canyon along old Indian trails. This cut 120 mi off the settlers' trips to courthouse in Claude, but was steep and dangerous. Hamblen . . . — Map (db m23982) HM
Texas (Armstrong County), Claude — 4366 — Route of Coronado Expedition
Led by Francisco Vazquez de Coronado, this trail-blazing expedition set out from Mexico City in 1541 in search of Cibola, fabled 7 Cities of Gold. Finding only Indian pueblos, Coronado changed his course for Quivira, a supposedly wealthy Indian . . . — Map (db m96835) HM
Texas (Armstrong County), Claude — 2263 — The Great Panhandle Indian Scare of 1891
Although most Indians had left the Texas Panhandle by the 1880s, fear of Indian attacks was still prevalent among settlers who arrived in the next decade. On Jan. 29, 1891, rumors of approaching Indians spread throughout the entire region. For three . . . — Map (db m96838) HM
Texas (Armstrong County), Claude — 4401 — The S.P. Hamblen Family
Pioneered at this site, in dugout to the west. S.P. Hamblen (1846-1930) and wife Virginia (1861-1950) settled in Lakeview area (9 mi. S of Claude) in 1889. Hamblen helped establish Lakeview School, 1890. He engaged in farming and stockraising, and . . . — Map (db m23990) HM
Texas (Armstrong County), Claude — 5524 — Town of Claude
Founded when Fort Worth & Denver Railroad built into area (1887). Claude Ayers, engineer on first passenger train through here, suggested town be named for him — and citizens agreed. Jerry Cavanaugh, first resident, gave land for town. . . . — Map (db m96836) HM
Texas (Armstrong County), Goodnight — 813 — Charles Goodnight(1836 - 1929)
Texas Ranger, Indian fighter. At age 19, on way to California gold fields, saw ranching possibilities. Settled and started ranch in Palo Pinto county, 230 miles southeast of here. In Civil War, scout, guide and hunter for frontier regiment, . . . — Map (db m49323) HM
Texas (Armstrong County), Goodnight — Quanah Parker TrailTexas Plains Trail Region
The legacy of Quanah Parker and Charles Goodnight is that former enemies can become good friends Arrow Sculptor: Charles A Smith — Map (db m100446) HM
Texas (Armstrong County), Goodnight — 4850 — Site of Old Goodnight Ranch
First ranch in the Texas panhandle Established in 1876 by Charles Goodnight 1836- 1929 Noted scout, Indian fighter, trail blazer and rancher The Burbank of the range — Map (db m49328) HM
Texas (Armstrong County), Goodnight — 5528 — Town of Goodnight
. . . — Map (db m100447) HM
Texas (Armstrong County), Washburn — 5539 — Town of Washburn
Planned by R. E. Montgomery, son-in-law of Fort Worth & Denver City Railway Builder-President Gen. G. M. Dodge. Named for family friend. Promoted 1887, Washburn for a time was F.W. & D.C. Line's terminus. It had first newspaper on Plains— . . . — Map (db m96646) HM
Texas (Armstrong County), Wayside — 17440 — The Battle of Red River
In the opening battle of the U.S. Army's 1874 Indian campaign against the Southern Plains Indian Tribes, a force of 744 soldiers under Col. Nerlson A. Miles fought a 5-hour running battle with the Cheyenne, Comanche and Kiowa 10 mi. E. of this . . . — Map (db m100514) HM
Texas (Atascosa County), Charlotte — 13619 — Chilipitin Cemetery
Early settlers Dario and Manuelita Douglas Tober acquired land here in 1877 and later set aside this site for a family cemetery. The oldest marked grave, that of teenager Nieves Douglas Tober, dates to 1903. The Tober family deeded the original . . . — Map (db m56664) HM
Texas (Atascosa County), Fashing — 1576 — Town of Fashing
Near the Old San Patricio Trail, leading from San Antonio to McMullen and McGloin colony, in area of Gulf of Mexico. In this vicinity were stage stops at Belle Branch, Rock Spring, Rountree's, and Tordilla. Land was part of the Butler, Hickok, Tom . . . — Map (db m56591) HM
Texas (Atascosa County), Jourdanton — 223 — Atascosa County
As early as 1722 El Camino Real (The King's Highway) from the Rio Grande to San Antonio was well established in this area. The Spanish word "Atascosa," denoting boggy ground that hindered travel, gave region its name. The county was created in 1856 . . . — Map (db m56663) HM
Texas (Atascosa County), Jourdanton — 224 — Atascosa County Courthouse
Atascosa County was created from Bexar County in 1856. The first county seat was at Navatasco, on land donated by Jose Antonio Navarro, and the county's first courthouse was a log cabin. The county seat was moved to Pleasanton in 1858, and a frame . . . — Map (db m56584) HM
Texas (Atascosa County), Jourdanton — 225 — Atascosa County Courthouse
This log cabin is a replica of first courthouse built 1856 near Amphion (Navatasco) 9 miles to the northwest, on site given by Jose Antonio Navarro out of his 1828 grant from Coahuila and Texas. A signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence, he . . . — Map (db m56636) HM
Texas (Atascosa County), Jourdanton — 16705 — Jourdan Campbell
Jourdan Campbell (1867-1938) and his family moved to Atascosa County by 1870; his father John Campbell founded Campbellton. Jourdan married Alice Louise Marr in 1897 and the couple had eight children. Jourdan became County Commissioner in the 1890s, . . . — Map (db m130161) HM
Texas (Atascosa County), Jourdanton — 15743 — Jourdanton
In 1909, Jourdan Campbell (1867-1938) and Theodore H. Zanderson (1854-1927) established the Jourdanton community, named for Campbell, on the eastern edge of their Toby Ranch property. Jourdan Campbell was born in Atascosa County, and was a merchant . . . — Map (db m56595) HM
Texas (Atascosa County), Jourdanton — 15165 — Jourdanton City Cemetery
T.H. Zanderson and city namesake Jourdan Campbell bought the 40,000-acre Toby Ranch in 1907 and laid out the town of Jourdanton. The original plat included two blocks designated for use as a cemetery. The Artesian Belt Railroad built through the . . . — Map (db m56665) HM
Texas (Atascosa County), Jourdanton — 15704 — Jourdanton United Methodist Church
The Methodist church in Jourdanton formally organized in 1909, the same year that the City of Jourdanton was founded. The church began as the Jourdanton Methodist Episcopal Church, South, and was a member of the Uvalde District in the West Texas . . . — Map (db m56666) HM
Texas (Atascosa County), Jourdanton — 15990 — Martin Abstract Company
By the early 20th century the ranching industry that spurred the growth of Atascosa County had begun to wane, with many large ranches split into smaller ranches, farms and town lots. George M. Martin realized the importance of a company to research . . . — Map (db m56667) HM
Texas (Atascosa County), Jourdanton — 18263 — Mercy Hospital
As transportation increased through Atascosa County with the creation of major highways, the number of vehicular accidents and fatalities increased. In 1952, thirteen fatalities and many serious injuries were reported as the "bloodiest year" in . . . — Map (db m130163) HM
Texas (Atascosa County), Jourdanton — 3687 — Old Atascosa County Jail
County officials rented a small Jourdanton house for a jail in 1911 after the county seat was moved here from Pleasanton in 1910. A proposal to build a new jail with cells from the old Pleasanton structure was rejected and this reinforced-concrete, . . . — Map (db m56585) HM
Texas (Atascosa County), Jourdanton — 15835 — Ralph Roy Smith
R. R. "Railroad" Smith (1880-1944) was born in Gonzales County to Alexander Frohock and Mary McGill (Mathews) Smith. Around 1907, Smith moved to Atascosa County where he opened up a law practice and entered into the newspaper business with a cousin. . . . — Map (db m56668) HM
Texas (Atascosa County), Jourdanton — 15888 — St. John Evangelical Lutheran Church
St. John Evangelical Lutheran Church has served this area of Atascosa County since 1918. Around that time, the now-dispersed farming settlement of Dobrowolski was growing, and the mostly Lutheran population needed a place of worship. At first, the . . . — Map (db m56670) HM
Texas (Atascosa County), Jourdanton — 16964 — St. Matthew Catholic Parish
Following the establishment of Jourdanton in 1909, many Catholic families of Hispanic, Irish, Polish, and German descent expressed interest in building a church. Bishop J.W. Shaw traveled from San Antonio to assist in preparing a new church . . . — Map (db m130160) HM
Texas (Atascosa County), Leming — 13310 — Battle of Medina
Texas' bloodiest military engagement -- the Battle of Medina -- may have taken place in this general vicinity in 1813. The early 19th century was a time of political upheaval, and in 1812, while the U.S. was at war with England, Spain faced revolts . . . — Map (db m56597) HM
Texas (Atascosa County), Leming — 13779 — Brite Cemetery
Brite Cemetery has served citizens of Atascosa County since the 1850s. It was formally set aside when Thomas Ransdele Brite passed away in 1859, though the earliest marked burial is that of his infant son, Dan (d. 1854). Thomas Brite was born in . . . — Map (db m56588) HM
Texas (Atascosa County), Leming — 4681 — Shiloh Cemetery
The first burial in this graveyard, that of fourteen-year-old John Uzell, took place in 1857. The land at that time belonged to Isaac H. Cavender, Sr., who was related to Uzell. Cavender allowed other burials on his property and soon the graveyard . . . — Map (db m56610) HM
Texas (Atascosa County), Lytle — 61 — Atascosa Lodge No. 379, A.F. and A.M.
Organized by eleven Master Masons in Benton City in 1872 and chartered June 9, 1873, by Grand Lodge of Texas. First hall, erected of stone in 1876, provided space for public school. The lodge, which has furnished social and cultural leadership to . . . — Map (db m56586) HM
Texas (Atascosa County), Lytle — 373 — Benton City Cemetery(Established 1870)
First public cemetery in this community, which was famous in early days for its outstanding school, aggressive businesses, and newspaper, the Benton City "Era." Site was given by James M. Jones, farmer-livestock raiser and leading citizen, whose . . . — Map (db m56587) HM
Texas (Atascosa County), Lytle — 1650 — First Baptist Church of Lytle
Dr. J.V.E. Covey and 16 charter members organized this church in April 1893 and held their first meeting under a stand of oak trees. A small frame building was later built, becoming their first permanent church building. Early baptisms were . . . — Map (db m56593) HM
Texas (Atascosa County), Lytle — 3158 — Lytle Methodist Church
According to oral history, the Lytle Methodist Episcopal Church, South, was founded in 1889. W.C. Newton, a local farmer and preacher, became known as "The Father of the Lytle Methodist Church" due to his efforts to establish a permanent place of . . . — Map (db m56596) HM
Texas (Atascosa County), Pleasanton — 1056 — Cooper Chapter No. 101, Royal Arch Masons
Chartered March 27, 1871, on petition of Master Masons of Pleasanton Lodge No. 283, A.F. and A.M., and the surrounding area. Met in upper floor of the Isaac Cooper home until 1891; over Cooper Brothers store until Masonic Hall was built in 1961. . . . — Map (db m56589) HM
Texas (Atascosa County), Pleasanton — 11698 — Coughran
Established on land purchased in 1901, the town of Coughran was named for founder and early settler W. A. "Abe" Coughran. He persuaded the San Antonio, Uvalde and Gulf Raildroad to build tracks through his property. The town was platted in 1913; by . . . — Map (db m56590) HM
Texas (Atascosa County), Pleasanton — 1666 — First Baptist Church of Pleasanton
On December 16, 1866, seven charter members met together to organize the First Baptist Church of Pleasanton. They met for worship in a variety of places, including the county courthouse in 1867, a schoolhouse south of town in 1870, and the Rock . . . — Map (db m56594) HM
Texas (Atascosa County), Pleasanton — 3797 — Old Rock Schoolhouse
Constructed of locally quarried red sandstone, the Old Rock Schoolhouse was built in 1874 with funds pledged by citizens of Pleasanton. Once completed, the building was deeded to the county for free public school purposes. In addition to its . . . — Map (db m56605) HM
Texas (Atascosa County), Pleasanton — 4056 — Pleasanton(Founded 1858)
Named for early Texas settler John Pleasants, by John Bowen (d.1867), San Antonio's first Anglo-American postmaster. Bowen, assisted financially by associate Henry L. Radaz, in Sept. 1858 founded this town at the juncture of Atascosa River and . . . — Map (db m56599) HM
Texas (Atascosa County), Pleasanton — 12533 — Pleasanton City Cemetery
Begun in 1865 as a family burial ground, the Pleasanton City Cemetery is a reflection of the history of the community from its earliest days. The first burial was that of three-year-old Gustave B. Doak, whose parents, Jonathan and Mary Elizabeth . . . — Map (db m56600) HM
Texas (Atascosa County), Pleasanton — 4057 — Pleasanton First United Methodist Church
This congregation was organized in 1857, one year before the city of Pleasanton was founded. The church was established largely through the efforts of early Methodist circuit preachers such as John Wesley DeVilbliss and Augustus C. Fairman, who . . . — Map (db m56601) HM

6456 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 6256
Paid Advertisement