Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Anderson County Texas Historical Markers

 
Pilgrim Predestinarian Regular Baptist Church Marker image, Touch for more information
By Steve Gustafson, October 10, 2010
Pilgrim Predestinarian Regular Baptist Church Marker
Texas (Anderson County), Elkhart — 8799 — Pilgrim Predestinarian Regular Baptist Church
On State Highway 294 at Farm to Market Road 319, on the right when traveling east on State Highway 294.
Organized in Illinois in 1833 by Daniel Parker Members moved to Texas First meeting in Stephen F. Austin's Colony January 20, 1834 Log church built December, 1839 Old graveyard adjoins. Present church fourth on the same site . . . — Map (db m36924) HM
Texas (Anderson County), Frankston — 8756 — Frankston Railroad Depot
On South Elm Street (State Highway 155) at South Miller Street, on the right when traveling south on South Elm Street.
In 1900 the Texas & New Orleans Railroad, now part of the Southern Pacific line, platted the town of Frankston. The station was first called Frankport and the post office Ayres. Both were renamed Frankston in 1902 for Miss Frankie Miller, who gave . . . — Map (db m102007) HM
Texas (Anderson County), Frankston — 8770 — Site of the Kickapoo Battlefield
On Farm to Market Road 19 at Road 320, on the right when traveling south on Road 19.
Here General Thomas J. Rusk with 200 Texans on October 16, 1838, attacked a band of hostile Indians and allied Mexicans, molestors of frontier settlements, and routed them. — Map (db m102008) HM
Texas (Anderson County), Neches — 8780 — Murdoch McDonald
On Farm to Market Road 2574 at Neches Street, on the left when traveling north on Road 2574.
Murdoch McDonald was born in North Carolina on February 15, 1810, the son of Scottish immigrants. About 1832 he went to Georgia, where he met Dr. George Lester. In 1839, McDonald, along with Lester and his family, came to Texas. Settling in the . . . — Map (db m136105) HM
Texas (Anderson County), Palestine — 8731 — Anderson County
On North Mallard Street (State Highway 19) at East Poplar Street, on the right when traveling south on North Mallard Street.
Created March 24, 1846, from Houston County Organized July 13, 1846 with Palestine as the county seat Named in honor of Kenneth Lewis Anderson Vice-President of the Republic of Texas 1844-45 — Map (db m128942) HM
Texas (Anderson County), Palestine — 8732 — Anderson County Courthouse
On North Church Street (State Highway 19), on the right when traveling north.
Created by the Texas Legislature on March 24, 1846, Anderson County was named for former Republic of Texas Vice President Kenneth L. Anderson. The first court in the new county was held in a log house at nearby Fort Houston in 1846. The first . . . — Map (db m128934) HM
Texas (Anderson County), Palestine — 16925 — Col. Homer Garrison, Jr.
On North Mallard Street (State Highway 19), on the right when traveling south.
Born in Kickapoo (Anderson Co.) in 1901, Homer Garrison was the son of Mattie (Milam) and Homer Garrison, Sr. The family moved to Angelina County, where Homer, Sr. served as District Clerk. Homer, Jr. graduated from Lufkin High School and worked for . . . — Map (db m128944) HM
Texas (Anderson County), Palestine — 16336 — Dr. Bonner Frizzell
On South Micheaux Street, on the right when traveling north.
Bonner Frizzell was born in the Pine Grove Community, near Athens, in 1882. He was the son of William Asachel and Frances Missouri (Knight) Frizzell. Bonner attended high school at Bruce Academy in Athens and then moved to Tyler to attend Tyler . . . — Map (db m128978) HM
Texas (Anderson County), Palestine — 8740 — Governor Thomas Mitchell Campbell ó (April 22, 1856 - April 1, 1923)
On North Church Street (State Highway 19) at East Lacy Street, on the right when traveling north on North Church Street.
Born near Rusk in Cherokee County, Thomas Mitchell Campbell was the son of Thomas Duncan and Rachel (Moore) Campbell. He financed his education by working for the County Clerk in Longview. In 1878 Campbell was admitted to the Bar and opened his law . . . — Map (db m128941) HM
Texas (Anderson County), Palestine — 8803 — John H. Reagan
On East Park Avenue at Crockett Road (U.S. 287), on the right when traveling west on East Park Avenue.
John Henninger Reagan, son of Timothy and Elizabeth Lusk Reagan, was born on October 18, 1818, in Sevierville, Tennessee. He joined the Republic of Texas Army in 1839 and served in the Cherokee War. In the early 1840s, he held several public offices . . . — Map (db m128981) HM
Texas (Anderson County), Palestine — 8802 — John H. Reagan Monument
On East Park Avenue at Crocket Road (U.S. 287), on the right when traveling west on East Park Avenue.
(Front):John H. Reagan (Right):"The Old Roman's highest ambition was to do his full duty; consciousness of having done it was his ample reward." (Left):"A good name is rather to be chosen than great riches, and loving favor . . . — Map (db m17496) HM
Texas (Anderson County), Palestine — 12630 — Micham Main
On North Perry Street (Loop State Highway 127), on the right when traveling south.
Little is known about this Anderson County pioneer until he married Elizabeth Van Winkle in Crawford County, Illinois, in 1820. The Mains lived in the Illinois township of Palestine until 1833, when, drawn by a favorable change in the Mexican . . . — Map (db m128935) HM
Texas (Anderson County), Palestine — 8790 — Palestine High School
On South Micheaux Street, on the right when traveling north.
A public school system in Palestine was established in 1881 under control of the municipal government. The first classes were held at the old Palestine Female Institute (built in 1858), then a high school was built in 1888 at the Institute site on . . . — Map (db m128980) HM
Texas (Anderson County), Palestine — 8792 — Palestine Salt Works C.S.A.
On North Church Street (State Highway 19) at East Crawford Street, on the right when traveling north on North Church Street.
(Front and southwest side): Located 6.5 miles southwest during the Civil War this salt works was assigned to produce salt for the Confederacy at a fixed price of eight dollars for a hundred-pound sack. Private customers from East Texas, . . . — Map (db m31881) HM
Texas (Anderson County), Palestine — 17650 — Purvey Lee (P. L.) Chism
On East Lacy Street, on the right when traveling east.
P.L. Chismís devotion to education was unsurpassed. From the time of his youth, through his many years as a teacher, principal, superintendent and supervisor, he never stopped challenging himself and others for education. Purvey Lee Chism was born . . . — Map (db m128938) HM
Texas (Anderson County), Palestine — 15921 — Robert (Bob) Knight
On South Micheaux Street, on the right when traveling north.
As a coach of athletics and a youth mentor, Robert (Bob) Knight positively influenced the lives of countless Palestine citizens. He was born in Iredell (Bosque County) in 1909, the last of eight children of William and Missouri Jane (Hand) Knight. . . . — Map (db m128977) HM
Texas (Anderson County), Palestine — 17672 — Roy B. Wallace
On South Micheaux Street, on the right when traveling north.
Roy B. Wallace was born in Coolidge, Limestone County, on October 13, 1901, to Benjamin C. Wallace, Sr. And Mae McCoy Wallace. Roy attended school in rural Limestone County and attended Texas Christian University prior to earning his Bachelorís . . . — Map (db m128979) HM
Texas (Anderson County), Palestine — 11660 — Swanson Cemetery
On Park Road 70, on the left when traveling south.
Micam Main of Illinois was granted a league of land by the Mexican government in 1835. One of the area's first brickmakers, Samuel M. Warden, died while working on Main's estate on Christmas Eve in 1847. He was interred on this site. According to . . . — Map (db m128982) HM
Texas (Anderson County), Palestine — 8819 — Texas State Railroad
On Park Road 70, on the left when traveling south.
The Texas Prison System built a short rail line from the Rusk State Penitentiary to hardwood timber stands where charcoal was made for firing the prison's iron ore furnaces. The rail line became the foundation of the Texas State Railway, organized . . . — Map (db m128983) HM
Texas (Anderson County), Palestine — 17304 — Timothy Stephen Smith ó (February 20, 1902 - April 30, 2000)
On East Lacy Street, on the right when traveling east.
Born the son of a runaway slave, Smith yearned for a better life. He attended Prairie View A&M College and received a degree in Vocational Agriculture. He became a teacher, educating the children of North Carolina and Texas for 42 years. He also . . . — Map (db m128939) HM
Texas (Anderson County), Palestine — 12643 — Woodhouse School ó Site of
On State Highway 294 0.5 miles east of U.S. 79, on the right when traveling east.
Woodhouse School began with the consolidation of the Long Lake, Tucker and Magnolia schools into Consolidated Common School District No. 7. These were all small schools, each with two teachers: one for grades one through four and another for grades . . . — Map (db m136004) HM

21 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement