Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Aransas County Texas Historical Markers

 
Cementerio San Antonio de Padua image, Touch for more information
By Norman Frank, March 20, 2012
Cementerio San Antonio de Padua
Texas (Aransas County), Aransas Pass — 11686 — Cementerio San Antonio de Padua
According to local lore, George Lewis (1859–1895) donated one-half acre of land at this site to the Hispanic citizens of the area for use as a cemetery, provided that he be buried in the center of the land. Handmade stones indicate burials . . . — Map (db m53744) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Fulton — 12429 — Aransas County Airport
This aviation facility developed out of a need during World War II for additional air training sites for U.S. Navy Pilots. In 1942 the Aransas County Commissioners Court offered the Civil Aeronautics Administration the use of land in the county for . . . — Map (db m53707) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Fulton — 2080 — Fulton
Located on Aransas Bay, the city of Fulton has a history closely associated with the fishing and shipping industry. The town was founded in 1867 by Geroge Ware Fulton, whose mansion is an important local landmark. Schools, churches, and businesses . . . — Map (db m53694) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Fulton — 2081 — Fulton Cemetery
Land for this community graveyard was set aside when the town of Fulton was platted by George Ware Fulton in 1868. The earliest documented burial is that of a child, Louis L. I. Greenough (1868-1869). The large number of childrens’ graves attests to . . . — Map (db m53697) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Fulton — 16305 — Fulton Community Church
Before the growth of fishing and tourism industries, Fulton was a community of only about 200 settlers. Although Sunday schools met in town, residents had to travel to Rockport for worship services. In 1943, Frank Walker, visiting the area on a . . . — Map (db m53695) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Fulton — 14 — Fulton Harbor
Fulton’s natural shoreline attracted a flourishing beef processing and distribution industry in the 1860s and 1870s. Piers and docks were built by landowners to facilitate the turtle, fishing, oyster, and shrimping industries. A steady growth began . . . — Map (db m58917) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Fulton — 2083 — Fulton Mansion
Built between 1874 and 1877 by George Ware Fulton (1810 – 1893) and his wife, Harriet Smith Fulton (1823 – 1910), this imposing residence was named “Oakhurst”. The three-story French second empire style home is of plank wall . . . — Map (db m53698) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Fulton — 13 — Fulton Packeries
Because early Fulton was surrounded by ranches and could be accessed by water, the town became a leading packing center on the Texas coast. The industry flourished from 1868 to 1882. Initially, the packeries rendered cattle hides and tallow only and . . . — Map (db m58918) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Fulton — 11 — Fulton Seafood Industry
Seafood has always been a Fulton staple. As early as the 1880s, commercial fishing for trout, redfish, sheepshead, turtles, and oysters had become significant for Fulton’s economy. About 1888, David Rockport Scrivner opened Miller Brothers Fish . . . — Map (db m58913) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Fulton — 2537 — Home of George W. Fulton
Home of George W. Fulton Born at Philadelphia, June 8, 1810 Served in the Texan Army in 1836 A pioneer resident of Refugio County After an engineering career of distinction elsewhere, he returned to Texas and became a cattle . . . — Map (db m53700) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Fulton — 3213 — Site of Marion Packing Co.
The ruins of this rendering vat mark the location of the Marion Packing Co. (spelled “Meriam” in some records), one of the dozen or more meat packing plants built in the Rockport-Fulton area in the 1860s and 1870s to process the huge . . . — Map (db m53701) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Fulton — 2733 — Site of One of the Homes of James Power
Site of one of the homes of James Power Born in Ireland, 1789 Died in Live Oak Point, Texas, 1852 With James Hewetson he was granted authority January 11, 1828 to settle 200 families in Texas Served Texas under three flags as . . . — Map (db m53708) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Fulton — 12 — Tourist Courts and Cottages
In the mid-1920s, a camp known as the “Cool Coast Camp,” located just north of Fulton, was promoted as a resort. It boasted tree-shaded cabins and tents, with a 500-foot wharf with an open-air pavilion over the water. In the 1930s, the . . . — Map (db m58916) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Lamar — 1547 — John Fagan
John Fagan Soldier in the Texas War for Independence at Goliad, 1835-1836 — Map (db m53825) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Lamar — 16924 — Mills Wharf
Mills Wharf, built by John Howard Mills in 1932, was a renowned center for waterfowl hunting and fishing from the 1930s until it was sold in 1960. It consisted of cottages, a cook house, a guide service office, a store, a tackle shop, and a unique . . . — Map (db m63716) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Lamar — 3018 — Site of the Town of Lamar
Site of the town of Lamar Named for Mirabeau B. Lamar 1798 – 1859 President of the Republic of Texas 1838 – 1841 Established in 1838 Made a Port of Entry in 1839 Sacked by Union Troops Feb. 11, 1864 . . . — Map (db m53711) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Lamar — 5103 — Stella Maris Chapel
Irish immigrant James W. Byrne (1787 – 1865), a veteran of the Texas Revolution, was an early settler of this area. He established the town of Lamar and with his wife Harriet, sold land on Aransas Bay to the Catholic Church for a chapel site. . . . — Map (db m53717) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Lamar — 5368 — The Lamar Cemetery
This burial ground originally served pioneer settlers of the Lamar community. Founded by James W. Byrne (d. 1865), a native of Ireland and a veteran of the Texas Revolution, it was named for his friend Mirabeau B. Lamar, former President of the . . . — Map (db m53713) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Rockport — 179 — Aransas County
Created out of the coastal portion of Refugio County in 1871, Aransas County is the second smallest county in Texas. Within its boundaries are three bays of the Gulf of Mexico: Copano, St. Charles, and Aransas. The area was the site of early Indian . . . — Map (db m53582) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Rockport — 180 — Aransas County
Created September 18, 1871 from Refugio County; Organized in 1871 with Rockport as the County Seat. Named for the River Nuestra Señora de Aranzazu — Map (db m53705) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Rockport — Aransas County Veterans Memorial
(center panel) Some gave some • Some gave all In loving memory of our fallen heroes of Aransas County Erected Nov. 11, 1984 by the Rockport American G. I. Forum Chapter 324-F, Texas Jose “Pepe” Zambrano, . . . — Map (db m53745) WM
Texas (Aransas County), Rockport — 16918 — Baldwin-Brundrett House
Aransas County Judge W.H. Baldwin, who promoted Rockport as a deep water port, lived in this house in the 1890s. George A. Brundrett, Jr., was a Confederate veteran and cattle rancher on 15,000 acres on Matagorda Island; his family lived here from . . . — Map (db m61067) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Rockport — 343 — Baylor-Norvell House
Located on the waterfront in a community that has survived many hurricanes, this house was built about 1868 by Dr. John W. Baylor. In addition to his medical practice Dr. Baylor owned a local meat packing business, ranched, and worked to bring a . . . — Map (db m53593) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Rockport — 16457 — Bracht House
Adolph L. Bracht (1872-1961) was born in Rockport and worked at lumber and grocery stores before establishing his own wholesale and retail grocery in 1899. He was a charter member of the Intracoastal Canal Association and active in the Chamber of . . . — Map (db m53746) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Rockport — 1041 — Connie Hagar(June 14, 1886–November 29, 1973)
Born Conger Neblett in Corsicana, and married to Jack Hagar in 1926, Connie Hagar received early training as a musician. She and her sister became interested in birds and worked as volunteers with the U.S. Biological Survey. The Hagars moved to . . . — Map (db m53706) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Rockport — 1669 — First Baptist Church of Rockport
Organized in 1873, the First Baptist Church of Rockport originally was located on S. Church Street. L.D. Young served as the first pastor. The hurricane of 1919 destroyed the first church building, but the members built a new structure at the corner . . . — Map (db m53703) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Rockport — 1767 — First Methodist Church of Rockport
The Methodist Church has been in existence in Rockport since about 1870. The Rev. H.G. Horton was assigned as pastor of the Rockport Church in 1872. The original Methodist Church building, erected at the corner of Live Oak and Bay Streets, was used . . . — Map (db m53590) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Rockport — 1799 — First National Bank of Rockport
Chartered on October 8, 1890, the First National Bank of Aransas Pass (now Rockport) was organized by a group of businessmen led by John H. Traylor, James M. Hoopes, George W. Fulton, Jr., James C. Fulton, and Richard H. Wood. Located at Main and . . . — Map (db m53748) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Rockport — 1846 — First Presbyterian Church of Rockport
This congregation traces its history to 1869. Although deactivated in 1879, it was reorganized with twenty charter members in 1889. The members met in facilities provided by other churches until their first house of worship was completed at Market . . . — Map (db m53580) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Rockport — 11685 — Frandolig Island
Dubbed “Nine Mile Point” by early settlers, this island was first used commercially by the Cushman Meat Packing Company in the late 1860s. Austrian Franz Joseph Frandolig, a horseman who had delivered cattle to Cushman & Co., homesteaded . . . — Map (db m53760) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Rockport — 2084 — Fulton-Bruhl House
Built about 1868, this vernacular early Texas home was purchased in 1872 by James C. Fulton, a noted early business and civic leader. Fulton sold the home in 1907 to his son-in-law, Albert L. Bruhl, a pharmacist and civic leader who served three . . . — Map (db m53749) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Rockport — 9 — Historic Shellcrete SquareLeadership Aransas County XIV Class Project – June 2010
Between 1935 and 1939, the Texas Highway Department constructed several roadside parks along Highway 35 in Aransas County. Local residents ~ Mrs. J.L. Bell, Harry Hertzberg, Mrs. Eli Hertzberg, Joe S. Sheldon, Arnold K. Sheldon, Harry Traylor, and . . . — Map (db m53774) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Rockport — 2557 — Hoopes-Smith House
Prominent local businessman and land developer James M. Hoopes (1839-1931) had this home built between 1890 and 1892. The home later served as a hotel and boardinghouse between 1894 and 1930. It was sold in 1934 to T. Noah Smith, Sr. (1881-1955), a . . . — Map (db m53587) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Rockport — 3256 — Mathis House
John M. Mathis (1831-1922) had this home built for his family in 1868-1869. Instrumental in platting the town of Rockport, he served as its first mayor in 1870. In 1880 he deeded the house to his cousin, Thomas H. Mathis (1834-1899), a leading . . . — Map (db m53594) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Rockport — 13692 — Moore House
Built in 1906, this house was the vision of James Edward (J. Ed) and Josephine Kennedy Moore. The two were married from 1903 until 1915, when Josephine passed away. J. Ed was a business owner who served several terms as Rockport’s mayor between the . . . — Map (db m53743) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Rockport — 4073 — Port Bay Hunting and Fishing Club
Danish native Andrew Sorenson (1864-1941), established a reputation as a hunting and fishing guide in this area in the early 20th century. He bought 240 acres of land (.5 mi. W) in 1909 and in 1912 incorporated the private Port Bay Hunting and . . . — Map (db m53761) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Rockport — 4325 — Rockport
The town of Rockport was founded by cattlemen J.M. and T.H. Mathis in 1867. Originally a part of Refugio County, it became county seat of newly formed Aransas County in 1871. Shipping and fishing provided the primary economic base of the town in its . . . — Map (db m53704) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Rockport — 4326 — Rockport Cemetery
This cemetery has served the citizens of Rockport and Fulton for over a century. The oldest marked grave is that of Emma Fulton (d. 1876), granddaughter of George Ware Fulton, who was instrumental in the development of the area and was interred in . . . — Map (db m53596) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Rockport — 16785 — Rockport Marine Laboratory
In 1935, Rockport Marine Lab was set up aboard the houseboat “Vivian” in Rockport Harbor to assist the Texas Game, Fish and Oyster Commission with Fisheries management. In 1947, a permanent lab was built on the harbor, a state of the art . . . — Map (db m64468) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Rockport — 13653 — Rockport School
Rockport School has served the town of Rockport for many years as both an educational and community institution. It dates to 1935, during the era of the Great Depression. One of President Franklin D. Roosevelt’s New Deal programs to combat the . . . — Map (db m53578) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Rockport — 4 — Rockport’s Grand Hotels
Before the arrival of the railroad in 1888, hotels in Rockport generally served clientele of the several local packeries. The Congdon Hotel was the leading hostelry of early Rockport and once served as a boarding home to the prominent Robert . . . — Map (db m53769) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Rockport — 8 — Rockport’s Harbor
In 1866, James Doughty and Richard H. Wood, searching for a safe harbor location to ship cattle, built pens and a livestock-shipping wharf on “Rocky Point,” a prominent limestone protrusion that extended into Aransas Bay near present-day . . . — Map (db m53787) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Rockport — 7 — Rockport’s Seafood Industry
Rockport’s commercial seafood companies have been operating for more than one hundred years. By 1903, David Rockport Scrivner had opened a fish house. In 1907, he sold to Roy Jackson who named the operation the Jackson Fish Company. A few years . . . — Map (db m53772) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Rockport — 5 — Rockport’s Wharves and Pavilions
Since 1866, wharves and piers have been a part of Rockport’s shores. The first wharf, constructed to ship cattle, was at Rocky Point. Other wharves handled commercial shipping and passenger traffic. Sorenson’s Wharf extended into the bay behind the . . . — Map (db m53770) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Rockport — 4428 — Sacred Heart Catholic Church
Roman Catholic priests visited the Rockport area as early as 1838. The first mass in the town of Rockport was celebrated in the home of County Judge John Hynes in 1860, and services continued there for a number of years. Although property was deeded . . . — Map (db m53585) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Rockport — Shipyards in Rockport
Shipbuilding was a natural industry for Rockport. The earliest recorded ship built here was the Connie, constructed in 1880 by Bludworth & Company. The Bludworth family specialized in building pleasure craft and scows. In 1917, World War . . . — Map (db m58824) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Rockport — 183 — Site of Aransas Hotel
Built in 1889 by civic leader and politician John H. Traylor, the Aransas Hotel covered this city block. The three-story structure, a major tourist attraction in Rockport had about 100 rooms and a massive open dining room with a 200 person capacity. . . . — Map (db m53583) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Rockport — 2427 — Site of Heldenfels Shipyard
Shipping industries flourished on the Rockport waterfront by the 1880s. Heldenfels Shipyard was established here on 12.9 acres in October 1917. Four 281-foot wooden cargo vessels were to be built for military use in World War I; the . . . — Map (db m53595) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Rockport — 15535 — Sorenson-Stair Building
Simon Sorenson, a native of Denmark, bought Brunner’s Mercantile at this site in 1886. The building was originally two stories, rebuilt after an 1895 fire. The Sorensons received weather reports by telegraph, posted updates in the display windows . . . — Map (db m53592) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Rockport — 5078 — St. Peter’s Episcopal Church
The Rt. Rev. Alexander Gregg, Bishop of the Diocese of Texas, officiated at the dedication of St. Peter’s Episcopal Church in Rockport on November 30, 1871. Led by lay ministers for much of its early history, St. Peter’s first was located at the . . . — Map (db m53581) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Rockport — The Big Blue Crab
Rockport’s original Big Blue Crab started out on the Del Mar Grill on Austin Street. In 1957, the Grill was run by Dorothy and Sal Silverman, and the specialty was Dorothy’s famous crab cakes. The Big Crab was 18 feet wide and 22 feet deep and was . . . — Map (db m63660) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Rockport — 16784 — The Cedars
Tourism has been a major part of the Rockport economy for generations, but in the 1920s and 1930s with the rise of the automobile, more visitors began to travel to the area. The Cedars, built in 1928 by Dr. Joe and Mabel Bryant, became a popular . . . — Map (db m60573) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Rockport — The Hagar’s Rockport Cottages
This property was the site of the famous Rockport Cottages purchased in 1934 by Connie and Jack Hagar from Corsicana, Texas. Jack managed the cottages while Connie (1886–1973) pursued her passion for nature. Birds were Connie’s major interest, . . . — Map (db m63659) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Rockport — 1 — The Old Beach Road
In early Rockport, many prominent families lived on what was called the Old Beach Road, now Water Street. Paved with white crushed shell, the road was lined with huisache, anacua, wild persimmon, prickly ash trees, dewberry vines, and stately homes. . . . — Map (db m53767) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Rockport — 3 — The Old Courthouse
For more than 60 years, Rockport’s skyline was dominated by an imposing, three-story Moorish-inspired courthouse. It was the first major building designed by J. Riely Gordon, who would become one of Texas’ most famous architects. Born in Virginia in . . . — Map (db m53768) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Rockport — 6 — The Packeries of Rockport
After the Civil War, Rockport became an important cattle ranching and shipping center. In 1866, James Doughty, T.H. Mathis, and John M. Mathis constructed cattle pens, with a long wharf that extended out into Aransas Bay from “Rocky . . . — Map (db m53771) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Rockport — 4327 — The Rockport Pilot
The earliest newspaper in this area was “The Vaquero”, published by Charles F. Bailey and Geraldo A. Beeman in St. Mary’s in 1868. In 1869 Bailey moved to Rockport and founded “The Transcript”, which continued in operation . . . — Map (db m53588) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Rockport — 4522 — The San Antonio and Aransas Pass Railroad in Rockport
During its early years Rockport relied on Gulf shipping for goods and services. After the arrival of the San Antonio and Aransas Pass Railroad in 1888, however, the town’s economic focus changed to include rail shipping and a burgeoning tourism . . . — Map (db m53589) HM
Texas (Aransas County), Rockport — 15786 — Woman’s Club of Aransas County Building
In March 1948, Mrs. Fred B. Hunt issued a call to organize the Woman’s Civic Club. One of the club’s major early activities was financing a permanent building for the organization. Later that year the recreation building for Humble Oil Company . . . — Map (db m53586) HM

59 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement