Established as the "Argus," Jan. 1, 1890, in the new railroad town of Claude. Later it merged with "Goodnight News" to become "Claude News." First publisher, W. S. Decker, sold paper to B. F. Hines, who sold to J. H. Hamner, in 1892. His daughter . . . — — Map (db m100448) HM
Created 1876. Name honors several Texas pioneers named Armstrong. Ranching became the chief industry when huge JA Ranch was established here in 1876.
Farming was introduced after the railroad came through, 1887. County was organized in 1890. . . . — — Map (db m96833) HM
Erected in 1953, this building is constructed of stone used to build the first masonry jail in Armstrong County, 1894. Stone for the structure (which replaced a primitive, frame "calaboose") was quarried 14 miles south at Dripping Springs in Palo . . . — — Map (db m96830) HM
One of the oldest Scout troops west of the Mississippi River, this group was organized in May 1912 by pioneer physician Dr. W. A. Warner (1864-1934). The first troop of about 30 boys met in a room above Dr. Warner's drugstore and office. Because of . . . — — Map (db m96837) HM
Winner, Congressional Medal of Honor for heroism during the Allied Forces invasion of Peleliu in the western Pacific in World War II. On July 21, 1945, he was decorated posthumously by presentation of his medal to his mother, Armstrong County . . . — — Map (db m62834) HM
Claude native Charles H. Roan volunteered for World War II service in the U.S. Marine Corps in December 1942. On active duty in the Pacific, he was killed in battle on Peleliu Island when he threw himself on a Japanese grenade, thereby saving the . . . — — Map (db m96839) HM
Dan Cavanagh settled here in 1885 and bought this land in 1888. In 1890 he gave a grave site for railroad worker Neal DeBerry. Settler C.C. Bates was buried in 1890, and early burials from the Fort Worth & Denver Railroad right-of-way were later . . . — — Map (db m100495) HM
Two of the most admired and beloved pioneer citizens of Armstrong County, Dr. Warner (1864-1934) was a country physician and his wife Phebe (Kerrick) (1866-1935) was an ardent humanitarian.
Natives of Illinois, they were married in Claude in . . . — — Map (db m96834) HM
William Miles Dye was born in Kentucky in 1864 and moved to Texas with his parents in 1870. He settled in this area in 1891, one year after the organization of Armstrong County. By hauling rock from Palo Duro Canyon, Dye helped in the construction . . . — — Map (db m100511) HM
Inheriting peacekeeping duty from 1874-90 ranchers, the early sheriffs of Armstrong County (organized 1890) won great public regard. With their families, these men lived in jail quarters and fed the prisoners. There was no salary; fees were earned . . . — — Map (db m96831) HM
Organized on May 18, 1890, by 19 charter members, with the Rev. B. E. Hure as moderator. The Rev. Count C. Storts was the first resident pastor. The congregation worshipped in the Presbyterian church building until 1899, when a frame sanctuary was . . . — — Map (db m100492) HM
Born in Chester County, Tenn., son of Joseph Cyrus and Emily Kirk Carroll. Married Claudia Haltom, 1900. Graduated 1901 from University of Tennessee. Moved to Claude, 1914. In career of 54 years, delivered over 2500 babies.
A staunch Democrat; a . . . — — Map (db m100494) HM
Named for Will H. Hamblen (1878 - 1952), who in 1890's pioneered a crude road (about 6 mi. N) into Palo Duro Canyon along old Indian trails. This cut 120 mi off the settlers' trips to courthouse in Claude, but was steep and dangerous.
Hamblen . . . — — Map (db m23982) HM
Led by Francisco Vazquez de Coronado, this trail-blazing expedition set out from Mexico City in 1541 in search of Cibola, fabled 7 Cities of Gold. Finding only Indian pueblos, Coronado changed his course for Quivira, a supposedly wealthy Indian . . . — — Map (db m96835) HM
Although most Indians had left the Texas Panhandle by the 1880s, fear of Indian attacks was still prevalent among settlers who arrived in the next decade. On Jan. 29, 1891, rumors of approaching Indians spread throughout the entire region. For three . . . — — Map (db m96838) HM
Pioneered at this site, in dugout to the west. S.P. Hamblen (1846-1930) and wife Virginia (1861-1950) settled in Lakeview area (9 mi. S of Claude) in 1889. Hamblen helped establish Lakeview School, 1890. He engaged in farming and stockraising, and . . . — — Map (db m23990) HM
Founded when Fort Worth & Denver Railroad built into area (1887). Claude Ayers, engineer on first passenger train through here, suggested town be named for him — and citizens agreed.
Jerry Cavanaugh, first resident, gave land for town. . . . — — Map (db m96836) HM
Texas Ranger, Indian fighter. At age 19, on way to California gold fields, saw ranching possibilities. Settled and started ranch in Palo Pinto county, 230 miles southeast of here.
In Civil War, scout, guide and hunter for frontier regiment, . . . — — Map (db m49323) HM
Planned by R. E. Montgomery, son-in-law of Fort Worth & Denver City Railway Builder-President Gen. G. M. Dodge. Named for family friend. Promoted 1887, Washburn for a time was F.W. & D.C. Line's terminus. It had first newspaper on Plains— . . . — — Map (db m96646) HM
In the opening battle of the U.S. Army's 1874 Indian campaign against the Southern Plains Indian Tribes, a force of 744 soldiers under Col. Nerlson A. Miles fought a 5-hour running battle with the Cheyenne, Comanche and Kiowa 10 mi. E. of this . . . — — Map (db m100514) HM