Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Austin County Texas Historical Markers

 
Austin County Marker image, Touch for more information
By Richard Denney, August 19, 2018
Austin County Marker
Texas (Austin County), Bellville — 243 — Austin County
A part of the grant to Stephen F. Austin in 1821 Created a municipality under the Mexican government in 1828 Became a county of the Republic of Texas, March 17, 1836 Named in honor of Stephen Fuller Austin, 1793-1836 Pioneer . . . — Map (db m122168) HM
Texas (Austin County), Bellville — 11703 — Bellville Turnverein Pavilion
In the 19th century two organizations, the Bellville Social Club and the Bellville Turnverein Gut Heil, sponsored community-wide social activities. The Social Club purchased this property from Herman Miller in 1883 and planned construction of a . . . — Map (db m117609) HM
Texas (Austin County), Industry — 1941 — Charles Fordtran — (May 7, 1801-Nov. 1, 1900)
In Jan. 1831 Charles Fordtran, a German of Huguenot descent, joined the colony of Stephen F. Austin. His first work was to survey land for Austin's partner, Samuel May Williams. He was given a league (4,428.4 acres) as his fee. Soon he brought in . . . — Map (db m30780) HM
Texas (Austin County), Industry — 2438 — Henniger Family Cemetery — (1 mi. west of this site)
Nicholaus Henniger (1794-1853) came to Texas from Germany in 1847 with his wife Fredericke and children Christian, Hermann, August, Caroline and Pauline. On his farm he built a log house, kept peace with passing Indians, and prospered as a . . . — Map (db m96289) HM
Texas (Austin County), New Ulm — 16009 — Frnka Family Cemetery
In 1926, Jan Jindrich Frnka (d. 1935) and his wife, Cecilie (Kroulik) (d. 1933), conveyed property to three trustees for use as a family burial ground. J.J. and Cecilie Frnka were parents of thirteen children; all of the children, with the exception . . . — Map (db m30737) HM
Texas (Austin County), New Ulm — 16010 — New Ulm Cemetery
The town of New Ulm was originally called Duff's Settlement at the time of its founding, and was named for James C. Duff, who in 1841 acquired title to the site upon which the settlement was founded. A post office began operation in 1853. At that . . . — Map (db m30726) HM
Texas (Austin County), Round Top — 4669 — Town of Shelby
Named for 1822 settler David Shelby, this town grew up at the mill of German pioneer Otto Von Roeder. The Ohlendorfs, Vogelsangs, Rothermels, and Vanderwerths arrived in 1845; other Germans came in ensuing years. The post office opened 1846 with . . . — Map (db m96288) HM
Texas (Austin County), San Felipe — 5514 — A Town Hall
Near this site stood A Town Hall Built about 1830 in which were held the First and Second Conventions of Texas, 1832 and 1833, and the Consultation of 1835 the provisional government functioned here until March 2, 1836, when . . . — Map (db m43759) HM
Texas (Austin County), San Felipe — 11707 — Early Roads To San Felipe
During the mid-1820's, When Stephen F. Austin was founding this town, the only roads in the area were wagon ruts or beaten trails marked by notched trees. Within a decade, however, the village of San Felipe, one of the first Anglo settlements in . . . — Map (db m43718) HM
Texas (Austin County), San Felipe — 2678 — J.J. Josey General Store
Built by John Crutcher in 1847 on the Plaza de Commercio in San Felipe, this was the last store built in the town after its 1836 burning by military order. Purchased in 1867 by Dr. J.J. Josey, it was in continuous operation as a store until 1942. . . . — Map (db m43760) HM
Texas (Austin County), San Felipe — John Bricker
In memory of John Bricker a private in Captain Mosley Baker’s company, who was killed just across the river from this site April 7th 1836 by a shot from a Mexican cannon, and was buried where he fell. He was born in Cumberland . . . — Map (db m43758) HM
Texas (Austin County), San Felipe — 4536 — San Felipe de Austin
First Anglo-American capital of Texas. Came into being on July 26, 1828, as capital of the Austin Colony, by decree of the Mexican government. Father of Texas Stephen F. Austin had begun under the 1821 grant from Mexico the settlement of more than . . . — Map (db m116924) HM
Texas (Austin County), San Felipe — 4537 — San Felipe de Austin Cemetery
San Felipe de Austin was established in 1824 as the community and administrative headquarters of Stephen F. Austin's original Anglo American colony in Texas. The site for the township was chosen by Austin and the Baron Felipe Enrique Neri de . . . — Map (db m116994) HM
Texas (Austin County), San Felipe — 11706 — San Felipe United Methodist Church
In 1837, the town of San Felipe de Austin was incorporated and the town council built a multi-purpose building to be used as a town hall, school, and church on land known as “Constitution Square.” The one-story building was constructed . . . — Map (db m116927) HM
Texas (Austin County), San Felipe — 249 — Stephen F. Austin's Cabin
Replica of Stephen F. Austin's Cabin This structure is a replica of the only Texas home of Stephen F. Austin, “Father of Texas.” The chimney contains bricks from original (1828) cabin. Other materials were made as authentically . . . — Map (db m43761) HM
Texas (Austin County), San Felipe — 248 — Stephen Fuller Austin
Stephen F. Austin • Father of Texas, November 3, 1793-December 27, 1836. He planted the first Anglo-American colony in Texas • "The Old Three Hundred"• In his several colonies he settled more than a thousand families. He was from 1823 until 1828 the . . . — Map (db m116925) HM
Texas (Austin County), Sealy — 11967 — Liedertafel
Sealy's German immigrants were famous for their love of music. A group of men, some of them Sealy's pioneer settlers, had formed a singing society, called Liedertafel, by 1899. They met primarily in the home of Ferdinand Lux. Lux and Fritz Kinkler, . . . — Map (db m71567) HM
Texas (Austin County), Wallis — 6344 — Martin Allen — (November 28, 1780 - December 30, 1837)
As a young man Martin Allen assisted his father, Benjamin, in surveying roads in their native state of Kentucky. He married Elizabeth Vice in 1804 and by 1810 they and their three children were living in Louisiana. Martin joined the . . . — Map (db m61299) HM

18 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement