A strategic Indian point in early days. Rangers and Comanches struggled here in 1843. In 1854 Elder Lyman Wight settled Mormon colony. In 1855 Poles settled here. From early days a part of Bexar County, created and organized in 1856
Bandera, . . . — — Map (db m117676) HM
First permanent courthouse for county, which was organized in 1856, but used makeshift quarters for offices and courtrooms until this building was erected 1890-91. Style is local version of the Second Renaissance Revival. White limestone for the . . . — — Map (db m111201) HM
The origin of the name of Bandera Pass and its namesake city and county dates back to conflicts between the Spanish Army and native Lipan Apaches in the early 18th century. The history of the townsite began in the early 1840s, when Charles de Montel . . . — — Map (db m130359) HM
Celebrated Indian pass known from the earliest days of Spanish settlement · Identified with many a frontier fight and many a hostile inroad · Old ranger trail from the Medina to the Guadalupe River and the United States Army route between frontier . . . — — Map (db m24384) HM
The tradition of the Texas cowboy originated from northern Mexico with the vaqueros, individuals mounted on horseback who herded livestock, mainly cattle, through the open prairie. These men became legends in Bandera County. The City of Bandera . . . — — Map (db m130352) HM
July 12, 1984 - The State of Texas House of Representatives, House Concurrence Resolution No. 94, signed by Texas Governor Mark White. "Be it additionally resolved that the Texas county of Bandera be declared the international headquarters . . . — — Map (db m130398) HM
Camp Montel C.S.A.
Site 25 mi. West on Hy. 470, 1 mi. South. Established 1862 as part of Red River-Rio Grande defense line. Named for Captain Charles DeMontel, surveyor and colonizer of Bandera, leader of county . . . — — Map (db m111200) HM
A Bandera County Deputy Sheriff, Capt. Jack Phillips, set out alone on Dec. 29, 1876, on an official visit to Sabinal Canyon. Indians attacked him at Seco Canyon Pass, 22 miles southwest of Bandera. Phillips raced for the nearest settlement. When . . . — — Map (db m117712) HM
Georgia stonemason Henry White is credited with building this structure about 1868. In 1877 a store occupied the first floor and the Masonic Lodge met on the top floor. County commissioners bought the building that year to provide space for county . . . — — Map (db m130355) HM
The Great Western Cattle Trail (also known as the Old Texas Trail and the Dodge City Trail) was the longest of all 19th century trails used to drive cattle from Texas to distant markets. In 1874, Capt. John T. Lytle and other cowboys led 3,500 . . . — — Map (db m130351) HM
Entered the year-old town of Bandera in March, 1854. Leader was Lyman Wight, church elder who had separated from followers of Brigham Young and taken a colony of 250 to Texas in 1846.
Settling first in Austin, then Fredericksburg (where they . . . — — Map (db m130135) HM
Built 1873 for E. Huffmeyer & brother, by B.F. Langford, Sr., contractor; of native stone.
Bandera's oldest building. Used over 30 years by W.J. Davenport, Sr., as general store. Damaged by fire, 1936.
Restored and remodeled by Thomas . . . — — Map (db m111521) HM
This winding, 100-mile trail from San Antonio to Kerrville was, during the 19th century, a strategic patrol road traveled by Texas Rangers to protect the surrounding area from hostile Indian attacks.
During uneasy pioneer days roads such as . . . — — Map (db m117711) HM
Polish settlers, who came to Bandera in 1855, built this convent and Catholic school in 1874. All classes, except religion and music, were moved in 1882 to a nearby frame school building. In 1922 a second story was added to the native limestone . . . — — Map (db m130357) HM
Communities in the 19th century relied on mills to provide lumber, shingles, flour and cloth. Local millers and blacksmiths were integral community members, providing the necessary materials for early development. Stephen F. Austin reported in 1833 . . . — — Map (db m130356) HM
Founded 1883, named for Henry Taylor. He, Gid Thompson and other early settlers gave land and founded school. First trustees were D. Harper, H. Kennedy, H. Taylor. First one-room frame building had homemade desks and recitation benches. . . . — — Map (db m111332) HM