Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Bastrop County Texas Historical Markers

 
Bastrop County Highway Marker Area image, Touch for more information
By Larry D. Moore, June 13, 2018
Bastrop County Highway Marker Area
Texas (Bastrop County), Bastrop — 9152 — Bastrop County
A part of Austin's grant in 1821 created the municipality of Mina 1834, became the County of Mina in the Republic of Texas 1836 Name changed to "Bastrop" December 18, 1837, in honor of Felipe Enrique Neri Baron de Bastrop, 1770-1829 land . . . — Map (db m118740) HM
Texas (Bastrop County), Bastrop — 9154 — Bastrop County Jail
Designed by Eugene T. Heiner of Houston, this building was erected in 1891-92 by contractors Martin, Byrne & Johnston. Red brick trim decorates the tan brick walls. A pressed metal cornice encircles the structure, and a mansard roof tops one . . . — Map (db m111109) HM
Texas (Bastrop County), Bastrop — 9163 — Captain James Burleson
Chosen commissary by General Andrew Jackson, War of 1812 Edward Burleson, his son, accompanied him as book-keeper Participated in the Battle of New Orleans January 8, 1815 Served under his son, Edward, Army of Texas, in the Grass . . . — Map (db m111111) HM
Texas (Bastrop County), Bastrop — 9151 — Early History of the City of Bastrop
Long before white men arrived, this region was inhabited by Tonkawa and Comanche Indians. In 1691 the first Spanish explorers crossed this territory en route to east Texas. From their route, parts of “El Camino Real” (the King's Highway) . . . — Map (db m76149) HM
Texas (Bastrop County), Bastrop — 13216 — Fairview Cemetery
The City of Bastrop was first laid out between 1830 and 1832. Included in the initial community plat was a twelve-acre cemetery overlooking the colony. Tradition holds that the first known grave was that of Sarah Wells (d. 1831), a child of early . . . — Map (db m117717) HM
Texas (Bastrop County), Bastrop — 9185 — Felipe Entrique Neri, Baron De Bastrop1770 - 1829
Erected in recognition of the distinguished service to Texas of Felipe Entrique Neri, Baron De Bastrop 1770 - 1829 Pioneer Red River empresario. Land commissioner of Austin's colony. Member of the Congress of Coahuila and Texas. In . . . — Map (db m111113) HM
Texas (Bastrop County), Bastrop — Felipe Henrique Neri, Baron de Bastrop1770 - 1829
Erected in recognition of the distinguished service to Texas of Felipe Henrique Neri, Baron de Bastrop, 1770-1829. Pioneer Red River empresario. Land Commissioner of Austin’s Colony, member of the Congress of Coahuila and Texas. Through his . . . — Map (db m111112) HM
Texas (Bastrop County), Bastrop — 12528 — First Baptist Church of Bastrop
On August 3, 1850, Elder G.G. Baggerly, pastor at the First Baptist Church of Austin, organized the Missionary Baptist Church of Bastrop with eleven members. On September 5, 1850, the new church sent its first messengers to the Colorado Baptist . . . — Map (db m65220) HM
Texas (Bastrop County), Bastrop — 9188 — First National Bank of Bastrop
First bank in county. In early days, money for safekeeping was placed with mercantile firms. Organized as "Bank of Bastrop County," in March 1889; became a national bank on Aug. 10, 1889. Presidents of this bank have been J.C. Buchanan, . . . — Map (db m65150) HM
Texas (Bastrop County), Bastrop — 16996 — H. P. Luckett House
In 1892 the city sold the old Bastrop Academy lot to Dr. Humphrey Powell Luckett (1847-1925) and his wife, Frances "Fannie" (Haynie) (1849-1930). The couple married and moved to Bastrop in 1869, raising five sons. By late 1893, their home designed . . . — Map (db m65121) HM
Texas (Bastrop County), Bastrop — 9208 — Lost Pines of Texas
Located 80 miles west of the main pine belt of Texas, these trees probably were once part of vast, prehistoric pine forests. As land areas gradually rose, possibly due to glacier activity, most of the forests moved east. Ideal local conditions have . . . — Map (db m82608) HM
Texas (Bastrop County), Bastrop — 15947 — Primera Baptist Church
On March 1, 1903, Primera Iglesia Bautista organized as the culmination of mission work carried out by Primera Iglesia Bautista of Welder. By 1907, the congregation constructed their first church building. Led by the Rev. Paul C. Bell, the growing . . . — Map (db m65155) HM
Texas (Bastrop County), Bastrop — 9223 — Rockne
Beginning as a farming community, Rockne traces its roots to German settlers who came to the area in the 1840s. In November 1846, the Daniel and Mortiz Lehman families arrived at Indianola, Texas from Schlesien, Prussia. They soon settled in this . . . — Map (db m118404) HM
Texas (Bastrop County), Bastrop — 9240 — Samuel Wolfenberger(1804 - 1860)
Early land grantee in this area. Of Dutch descent, he was born in Virginia. Came to Texas (then part of Mexico) in 1831 as a colonist of Stephen F. Austin, the "Father of Texas."

Received a Spanish league of land (4,444 acres) here. Active in . . . — Map (db m118406) HM

Texas (Bastrop County), Bastrop — 9156 — Site of Bastrop Military Institute
A Methodist Institution · Chartered January 24, 1852 as Bastrop Academy · · Rechartered under the Auspices of the Methodist Episcopal Church South in 1853 · In 1856 became the Bastrop Military Institute — Map (db m65159) HM
Texas (Bastrop County), Bastrop — 13123 — The Bastrop Advertiser
In June 1852, Bastrop's Colorado Reveille newspaper ended its brief run. In December of that year, William J. Cain, a young printer from Mississippi, bought the press and printing materials and started the Bastrop Advertiser. The newspaper . . . — Map (db m65157) HM
Texas (Bastrop County), Bastrop — 9190 — The Gotier Trace
Originated in 1820s. Crossed the present counties of Austin, Washington, Fayette, Lee, Bastrop; joined San Felipe, capital of Stephen F. Austin's colony, with Bastrop. Marked by James Gotier, a settler who (with several in his family) died in an . . . — Map (db m82606) HM
Texas (Bastrop County), Bastrop — 13114 — Thomas H. Mays
Thomas H. Mays was born in 1802 in Virginia and emigrated to Texas from Tennessee in 1830. In 1834, he became Bastrop's first municipal surveyor and platted the city's new streets. Two years later, he was wounded in the leg at the Battle of San . . . — Map (db m65221) HM
Texas (Bastrop County), Bastrop — 9235 — Union Hill Missionary Baptist Church
According to local tradition this site was used by area slaves for gathering purposes. Silvie Story, William Hill, Martha Young, Paulie Johnson, Grant McBride, and Martha J. Hill organized this church in 1864 with the help of the Rev. Joshua Brice. . . . — Map (db m82620) HM
Texas (Bastrop County), Bastrop — War Babies
During WWII, over 300,000 troops were trained seven miles north of Bastrop at Camp Swift. Many women moved to Bastrop for a few months to be near their soldier one last time before his deployment overseas. Some of these women, upon the death of a . . . — Map (db m117781) HM
Texas (Bastrop County), Bastrop — Wilbarger's Bend
Founded in 1827 by Josiah Pugh Wilbarger of Austin's Colony Beginning of Wilbarger's Trace, blazed by his son James Harvey Wilbarger 1860 with slaves and ox-wagons carrying commerce to Corpus Christi and Matamoros, Mex. — Map (db m82611) HM
Texas (Bastrop County), Cedar Creek — Bluff Trail Overlook
The bluff stands 80 feet above the Colorado River at Wilbarger Bend. Josiah Wilbarger was an early settler whose family owned the land on the opposite side of the river during the 1800s. Josiah was one of a few Texans who were scalped and lived to . . . — Map (db m79096) HM
Texas (Bastrop County), Elgin — 9182 — Elgin Methodist Church
Organized in 1874 as the Elgin Methodist Episcopal Church, South, this was the first congregation started in the town of Elgin. A small frame sanctuary built here in 1882 was replaced by this Gothic revival structure. Built by local contractor J. C. . . . — Map (db m119483) HM
Texas (Bastrop County), Elgin — 9171 — Site of the Home of Col. Robert M. Coleman — (1799 -1837)
Signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence Aide-de-camp to Gen. Houston at San Jacinto Commander of a regiment of Rangers 1836-37 Here his widow Mrs. Elizabeth Coleman and son, Albert V. Coleman were killed by Indians and . . . — Map (db m82688) HM
Texas (Bastrop County), Smithville — Smithville
In 1691 missionaries on the expedition of Don Domingo Teran De Los Rios sighted a lagoon which the Indians called Nenocadda. The lagoon, known today as Shipp's Lake, is on the southern edge of present Smithville. Frederick W. Grasmeyer operated a . . . — Map (db m41902) HM

25 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement