Although the town of Bartlett had regular electric service by 1905, farmers in the surrounding rural area were not supplied with electricity until thirty years later. On May 11, 1935, President Franklin Delano Roosevelt signed an executive order . . . — — Map (db m28816) HM
By the early 1900s Bartlett had become the railroad center of a prosperous cotton growing region. In 1903 the Bartlett Independent School district was created. By 1906-07 the 5-room schoolhouse here proved inadequate to house the district's . . . — — Map (db m29035) HM
Settlers began moving to this area in the 1830s, when Texas was a Republic, but the town of Bartlett was not established until the 1870s. The founders were J. Edward Pietzsch and Capt. John T. Bartlett, for whom the community was named. In 1882 the . . . — — Map (db m29040) HM
Colonists settled in the late 1840s along the fertile Donahoe Creek. Samuel Gibbs Leatherman (1799-1888) arrived in 1854 and opened the first mercantile store. He gave land for the cemetery and brought in the first doctor. In 1880 Leatherman donated . . . — — Map (db m29073) HM
Originally known as Pecan Grove Baptist Church, this fellowship was organized in 1873 by the Rev. M.V. Smith, the Rev. H.I. Kimball, and the Rev. G.W. Baines, great-grandfather of United States President Lyndon Baines Johnson. In 1884 the church was . . . — — Map (db m29036) HM
With overcrowded buildings at the African American school in southwestern Bartlett, the Bartlett trustees bought four buildings from Camp Swift in Bastrop to enlarge the facilities. A bond issue passed in 1948, and plans began for a U-shaped . . . — — Map (db m29037) HM
Established by German immigrants in 1880, the German-English School was an early school in the Bartlett area. First called Indian Creek School, the name was changed due to popular usage and the nature of instruction, which was in English during the . . . — — Map (db m29039) HM
The first Lutheran worship services in this area were held at the home of early German settler J.E. Pietzsch, who had moved from Austin County. In 1880 a small school and church building was erected on land donated by John Bartlett, for whom the . . . — — Map (db m29038) HM
The Stockton Family Cemetery is located on land originally granted in 1859 by Texas governor Hardin R. Runnels to Moses Allen, a veteran of the Siege of Bexar. Douglas Hayden Stockton and his wife Mary Elizabeth (White) brought their family to Bell . . . — — Map (db m28455) HM
What began in 1902 as an idea to organize a women's club with a focus on literature and history became a reality in April 1903, with the formation of a Woman's Study Club. Chartered with nineteen members under the leadership of Mrs. Vena (Holzgraf) . . . — — Map (db m29041) HM
Settlement began on Lampasas River, 1847. Created Jan. 22, organized Aug. 1, 1850. Named for Peter Hansbrough Bell (1812-1898), native of Virginia; veteran of Battle of San Jacinto; served in Somervell expedition to stop Mexico's Raids into Texas; . . . — — Map (db m29379) HM
Built in 1912 at the Santa Fe rail yards in Temple, this planing mill was part of a complex of buildings that housed repair facilities for the railroad. Workers at the mill manufactured replacement parts for wooden elements of the Santa Fe's boxcars . . . — — Map (db m29380) HM
A stockade and blockhouse of the Republic of Texas. Built in November, 1836, by a unit of some 20 Rangers under Lt. George B. Erath (soldier-statesman for whom Erath County was named).
By Christmas they had erected 7 or 8 cabins, a blockhouse and . . . — — Map (db m29378) HM
A native of South Carolina, Wilson Van Dyke served as a member of the Somervell Expedition, which was organized in 1842 to expel the Mexican Army from Texas. Under command of Col. W.S. Fisher, he crossed the Rio Grande and was captured. A survivor . . . — — Map (db m29382) HM
Present-day Holland has its origins in three different settlements. Settlers first came here during the 1830s to farm the area’s fertile soil. A community named Mountain Home (0.5 mi SE) formed along Darrs Creek and included a school, church, . . . — — Map (db m75700) HM
The only physical remnant of the Post Oak community, this cemetery began as the burial ground for the family of Isham McMillin, who acquired land in this part of Bell County in 1855. The oldest marked grave, that of McMillin’s daughter Elizabeth, . . . — — Map (db m89692) HM
On January 14, 1914, a small group of local women met to organize a study club for the cultural advancement of its members. In addition to its primary focus, the club soon adopted a series of civic projects, including many that offered financial . . . — — Map (db m89893) HM
Constructed to replace an earlier brick schoolhouse destroyed by fire, the present Avenue D School was built in 1923. C.J. Leinbach of Dallas designed the three-story building, which features decorative stonework and separate entrances for girls and . . . — — Map (db m117551) HM
Bethel Primitive Baptist Church originated in the Palo Alto Community, which was located about 3.5 miles northeast of present Killeen. Organized about 1864, the congregation met in a Union Church building shared with other denominations.
When . . . — — Map (db m121301) HM
When the tracks of the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railroad were extended from Temple to Lampasas in the early 1880s, a switching station was installed near the midway point. The settlement that grew up around the site became the town of Killeen, . . . — — Map (db m133597) HM
Chartered on Feb. 27, 1901, the First National Bank of Killeen is the oldest continuously operated bank in Bell County. It first served a primarily agricultural economy, but as Killeen began to develop the bank led in the town's dramatic growth. Its . . . — — Map (db m133596) HM
The first burial in this graveyard, that of Wilhelm Wolf, took place in 1891, two years after the German Evangelical Lutheran Emmanuel Congregation was formally organized. The Rev. H.F. Daude (1850-1924), who served as first pastor, deeded land here . . . — — Map (db m121279) HM
W.E. Bennett began publishing the Killeen Herald in June 1890, eight years after the town of Killeen was founded. Later owners of the newspaper included W.T. Carter, an active civic leader who served as publisher and editor from 1907 to 1950. Begun . . . — — Map (db m121286) HM
Established in the 1860s to serve the rural community of Pleasant Grove, this cemetery is one of the oldest in Bell County. Land for the graveyard was given by Frank N. McBryde, Sr., whose 1883 application for a post office for the community . . . — — Map (db m121241) HM
Mancel T. McBryde (1821-1896), who brought his family here from Georgia in the early 1860s, began this family cemetery in 1885 upon the death of his wife, Jane W. Goar McBryde (1826-1885). A farmer and rancher, McBryde selected a site south of his . . . — — Map (db m121235) HM
Organized by twelve charter members in September 1906, this organization was originally known as the Ladies Literary Society of Killeen. The name was changed one month later to the Wednesday Review Club. Pursuing studies in American and . . . — — Map (db m121291) HM
On this site in 1861-65, the William R. Alexander Distillery met a wartime need in Texas.
May 28, 1862, Governor Francis R. Lubbock closed all Texas distilleries, to save grain. Army calls for medicinal liquor (for opiate and stimulant purposes) . . . — — Map (db m29344) HM
Dr. David H. Armstrong, who served as one of the first trustees of the Salado public free schools, and his wife, Julia, built this home between 1869 and 1872. It later became the residence of a succession of Salado doctors, including Dr. D.G. Adams . . . — — Map (db m29257) HM
Great-granddaughter of builders. Daughter of Thomas S. and Mary Elizabeth (Robertson) Sutherland.
First woman vice president of student body, University of Texas. Married Leslie Carpenter; has 2 children. In 1954 was president Women's National . . . — — Map (db m29311) HM
Milton Wesley Damron (1825-1887), an early settler and Salado public servant, was born in Tennessee and came to Texas as part of the Mercer Colony. He arrived in the 1840s and shortly afterwards married Sarah Pennington. When original settlement . . . — — Map (db m29350) HM
One of many patented truss designs developed by American inventors and engineers in the mid- to late-19th century, this 87-foot lenticular truss bridge represents an unusual truss type in the United States. The lenticular design features a curved . . . — — Map (db m29256) HM
Educators Samuel Jackson (1858-1918) and Charlotte Hallaran (d. 1904) Jones taught at Salado College in 1884-1885. In 1890, the Joneses opened Thomas Arnold High School in the former Salado College buildings. Charlotte died in 1904, leaving five . . . — — Map (db m29375) HM
A graduate of the medical department of Kentucky's Transylvania University, South Carolina native Dr. Welborn Barton (1821-1883) came to Texas in the late 1840s. After two years of practicing medicine in Bastrop County, he returned to South Carolina . . . — — Map (db m29349) HM
A Baptist revival was held on the banks of Salado Creek as early as 1854. By about 1860, members of area Baptist, Methodist, Presbyterian and Church of Christ denominations were meeting in an ecumenical house of worship. Each group held an all-day . . . — — Map (db m29083) HM
Built in the 1860s, this house was the residence of the Rev. George Washington Baines (1809-83) from 1870 to 1883. A pioneer Baptist preacher, missionary, editor, and educator, the Rev. Baines was the great-grandfather of United States President . . . — — Map (db m29313) HM
New Hampshire native Hermon (Herman) Aiken worked in Illinois and Tennessee before moving to New Orleans. There, he served as a ship’s captain taking supplies to Galveston in support of the Texas Revolution. He lived in Texas by 1840. In 1846, with . . . — — Map (db m29351) HM
Home of Wellborn Barton 1821-1883; Pioneer physician of this region. For many years a trustee of Salado College, built 1866. (John Hendrickson, Contractor)
Old military road and Chisholm cattle trail passed here. — — Map (db m29255) HM
When Addie Barton (1858-1921) was seven years old, her parents, Dr. Welborn and Louisa Barton, moved to Salado so their children could attend Salado College. Upon graduation, Addie became a teacher. She felt called to become a missionary in 1883 and . . . — — Map (db m29249) HM
A number of bridges have been built over Salado Creek on Main Street since 1870. After the town of Salado was laid out in 1859, citizens crossed the creek using various combinations of rocks and logs. When local citizens and students at Salado . . . — — Map (db m29081) HM
Before migrating to Texas, A. J. Rose made a fortune in the 1849 California Gold Rush. In 1857 he and his wife Sallie (Austin) brought their family from Missouri to Travis County, Texas. Later they settled in San Saba County, where Rose ran a mill . . . — — Map (db m29345) HM
Built about 1872 by Edward R.A. Buckles, this I-plan vernacular house exhibits Classical and Victorian detailing. Its two-story gallery features Doric columns on the ground level, which contrast with the Victorian turned wood columns and balusters . . . — — Map (db m29254) HM
Built 1860 at edge of an old Indian campground, by James B. Anderson, one of town’s founders and a school trustee in Salado. Community leaders, lawyers and doctors have lived here.
Boarding here in 1883 while a student at Old Salado College was . . . — — Map (db m29252) HM
This burial ground was likely in use about the time a U.S. Post Office was established in Salado Springs in 1852. In 1854 Col. Elijah Sterling C. Robertson purchased a large tract of land north and south of the springs that included the cemetery. It . . . — — Map (db m29348) HM
A native of Georgia, Robert B. Halley brought his family to this area about 1853. With partner T.J. Eubanks, he operated a liquor distillery and a flour and grist mill on the Lampasas River. Halley served as Bell County Commissioner in 1859 and as a . . . — — Map (db m29374) HM
Built by Col. E.S.C. Robertson and wife, Mary Elizabeth (Dickey).
Rare ante-bellum plantation complex, comprising home, servant quarters, land, family cemetery, stables. Still a working ranch.
The house, occupied by fifth generation of . . . — — Map (db m29310) HM
Salado was officially establish in 1859 when Col. E.S.C Robertson donated land for a townsite and for a college. Col. Hermon Aiken drew a plat for the town, which developed along its main street. However, there had been activity here long before . . . — — Map (db m79922) HM
Established 1856 on 2.5-acre site given by E.S.C. Robertson.
Distinguished Texans interred here include the Rev. G.W. Baines, great-grandfather of President Lyndon B. Johnson; the Rev. and Mrs. J.E. Ferguson, parents of Governor James E. . . . — — Map (db m29376) HM
Founded in March 1859, this congregation first met in a brush arbor on the north bank of Salado Creek. The first two elders were James Anderson and J.W. Vickrey, both of whom were instrumental in the organization of Salado College. A frame . . . — — Map (db m29258) HM
Gushing limestone springs, abundant fish, flowers, and trees have long made the banks of Salado Creek a good home site.
Indians camped beside stream; Spanish explorers named it; the first Anglo-American settler was Archibald Willingham, 1851. . . . — — Map (db m29082) HM
In 1854, the Rev. Thomas Gilmore, a Methodist circuit rider, led a revival at Pecan Grove on the north side of Salado Creek. He organized a Methodist church and a Union Sunday school in a small frame building. During the next decades, the . . . — — Map (db m29347) HM
Dr. Samuel J. Jones (1857-1918) and his wife, Charlotte Hallaran Jones (d. 1904), established Thomas Arnold High School on this site in 1890. The school, which was actually a private academy, occupied the stone buildings vacated by Salado College, . . . — — Map (db m35242) HM
Constructed during the 1860s, the Stagecoach Inn was known as Salado Hotel and as Shady Villa before the current name was adopted in 1943. Military figures George Armstrong Custer and Robert E. Lee, and cattle baron Shanghai Pierce are among those . . . — — Map (db m29080) HM
Built in 1864 by William A. Davis First stone mill with carding machine in this vicinity. A sawmill and gin were added in 1866. French burrs, Leffel water wheel and silk bolt brought from Galveston by wagon in 1871. Made flour for Central Texas . . . — — Map (db m29251) HM
Built in 1870-72, this structure typifies the Greek Revival style with its symmetrical facade. The residence was constructed for former Confederate officer Archibald Johnson Rose (1830-1903) and his large family. A prosperous farmer, Rose . . . — — Map (db m29346) HM
Alabama native James Ferguson (1824-1876) became a Methodist preacher in Arkansas before moving to Texas in 1847. As a circuit rider for the next 20 years, he served Methodists in numerous parts of central and southeast Texas. Ferguson wed native . . . — — Map (db m29373) HM
Twelve Oaks, 1867-69. Greek Revival mansion built of stone from adjacent land, for B.D. McKie, Texas doctor who fought and was wounded in Mexican and Civil wars.
Restoration by parents of Lt. Henry Clay DeGrummond, Jr. World War II combat hero, . . . — — Map (db m29343) HM
Located in an area populated by former slaves following the Civil War, this cemetery dates to the 1870s. The earliest documented grave is that of Jozie Fulbright, who died in 1877, although according to local oral tradition there may be earlier . . . — — Map (db m29308) HM
Born near Fredericksburg, Virginia, Bernard Moore Temple was a noted railroad engineer. In 1862, he enlisted in the Virginia artillery, joining the Confederate Army, where he acquired engineering experience in artillery and ordnance. Temple made use . . . — — Map (db m90018) HM
Founded in 1881, on the Santa Fe line, Temple, like dozens of Texas towns, owed its beginning to the railroad and was, in fact, named for a Santa Fe official, B.M. Temple. On June 29, 1881, a gala town lot sale, with free barbecue, was held by . . . — — Map (db m89965) HM
Officially opened on May 17, 1953, Cora Anderson Negro Hospital offered medical services to the growing African American population of Temple and greater Bell County. The hospital featured 16 patient rooms and a surgical suite. It was located only . . . — — Map (db m131552) HM
This burial ground began as a family and Masonic cemetery. Although many, possibly older, graves exist, the oldest marked grave is that of Mary Marshall (d. 1861). In 1869, eight years after Marshall's death, J.A. Grimes sold his farm to Mary E. . . . — — Map (db m118964) HM
The Sacrifice and Endurance Of Those Who Have Served, And The Ones Who Loved Them, Captures Our Hearts, Abides In Our Minds, And Protects Our Very Existence.
They Will Not Be Forgotten;
Their Memory Will Live In Each Generation
As We . . . — — Map (db m90039) WM
One of Texas’ oldest conservation organizations. W. Goodrich Jones (1860-1950), who came to Temple as a banker in 1888, felt need for trees in this prairie town. He led planting drives in Temple, and in 1889 saw to establishment of a statewide Arbor . . . — — Map (db m89966) HM
On March 29, 1900, the Women’s Literary Club and the Self Culture Club formed a city federation for the purpose of organizing a public library. Soon the first library opened in a corner of the post office building and later moved to a book store. In . . . — — Map (db m90017) HM