Designed in Victorian style by architect F. E. Ruffini. Erected in 1886 as first permanent county courthouse, building served only four years - until 1890. County seat then moved to Johnson City.
Purchased by Chas. E. Crist, the structure . . . — — Map (db m31565) HM
Noting the unhealthy dampness of the basement where prisoners were first kept after the Blanco County seat was moved to Johnson City, the Commissioners Court ordered the construction of this jail facility in 1893. Completed the following year, the . . . — — Map (db m31531) HM
Designed by San Antonio architect Henry T. Phelps, the 1916 Blanco County Courthouse was the first permanent courthouse built after the seat of government moved from Blanco to Johnson City in 1890. Serving as contractor for the project was . . . — — Map (db m31499) HM
From this headquarters site in the 1870s, the brothers J. T. and Sam Ealy Johnson started thousands of cattle up trails to Kansas and other shipping or market points. To the west, at Williamson's Creek, and at Deer Creek (southeast) the Johnsons had . . . — — Map (db m35352) HM
Dedicated to the military veterans of
Blanco County and their families.
With sincere appreciation for
their service, sacrifice, and commitment to
our country and all it stands for,
represented by the colors flying proudly above.
Lest . . . — — Map (db m31486) HM
E. Babe Smith was instrumental in the founding of Pedernales Electric Cooperative in the late 1930s. His vision, along with that of Congressman Lyndon B. Johnson and others, brought electric power to the farms and ranches of the Texas Hill Country. . . . — — Map (db m31095) HM
In 1879, on July 19-20 or August 16-17, seven members formed the Missionary Baptist Church of Christ, present First Baptist Church. The Rev. James E. Bell (b.1843) held services in the schoolhouse. Lumber for the original church building, erected . . . — — Map (db m31532) HM
This congregation was organized in 1903 by the Rev. Tom Smith, an evangelist with the Texas Christian Missionary Society, and twenty-six charter members. Land for a church building was given by Judge N. T. Stubbs and a sanctuary was completed in . . . — — Map (db m31533) HM
Built by Johnson City founder James Polk Johnson (1845-1885), this structure has housed a variety of businesses and served as a community gathering place. In addition to serving as a community hall, opera house, and meeting place for churches and . . . — — Map (db m31126) HM
“It was just a big family town. Nobody was rich, and everybody had plenty to eat and plenty to wear, and Lyndon was no different from the rest of us. I miss that little town, that feeling that everybody would do anything for anybody else. . . . — — Map (db m31098) HM
The sidewalk ahead leads to the Johnson Settlement, frontier home of President Johnson's paternal grandparents, Samuel Ealy Johnson, Sr., and Eliza Bunton Johnson.
Between 1867 and 1872 Sam Ealy Johnson, Sr., and his brother Tom drove huge herds . . . — — Map (db m31097) HM
Sam Ealy Johnson Jr. (1877-1937) and his wife Rebekah Baines Johnson (1881-1958) bought this residence in 1913. Sam, an educator and six-term Texas legislator, and Rebekah, an educator and journalist, raised five children here. The frame house was . . . — — Map (db m30926) HM
Lyndon Johnson spent most of ten years living in this home - a decade that profoundly affected the future president's view of the world.
A neat landscape in front of you bears little resemblance to the backyard Lyndon Johnson knew. In Johnson's . . . — — Map (db m31036) HM
These plaques were first
installed on the original
headquarters building in 1939.
Pedernales Electric Co-operative
- Incorporated -
Dedicated to the extension of
electric . . . — — Map (db m31093) HM
Just as Johnson City helped shape Lyndon Johnson, Lyndon Johnson helped shape the modern face of Johnson City. Throughout the town are buildings that reflect Johnson's quest to ease the hardships he knew here in his youth. The former LBJ Hospital - . . . — — Map (db m31128) HM