The John A. Wharton Camp of Confederate Veterans purchased cemetery land June 27, 1898 and more in 1903 and 1927. The total is about 15 acres. 37 Confederate veterans are buried here.
On Feb. 11, 1919 F. E. Acton, Y. M. Edwards, E. G. Ward, W. . . . — — Map (db m50164) HM
Established in the 1890's by John A. Wharton Camp, U. C. V.; burial ground for Confederate veterans and families. After increase of acreage, use of cemetery was extended to public. Veterans of 4 wars; 1900 hurricane victims as well as prominent . . . — — Map (db m110259) HM
On September 5, 1892, two Angleton residents donated one of the original town blocks near this site to the city for school purposes. Citizens contributed two hundred dollars for a frame building to house the first classes for Angleton students and . . . — — Map (db m129301) HM
Angleton's first permanent courthouse was built in 1897, a year after the city was chosen Brazoria County seat. Constructed from plans originally drawn for the Matagorda County courthouse, the structure was enlarged and extensively remodeled in . . . — — Map (db m120661) HM
Robert James Calder was born in 1810 to James H. and Jane E. (Caldwell) Calder in Baltimore, Maryland. His father died when he was a child, and Robert and his mother moved to Kentucky, where he was raised in part by his mother's family. They moved . . . — — Map (db m120660) HM
Established in 1818 as an individual claim by James Briton Bailey, a member later of Austin's colony. Born 1779, Bailey was tall, fearless, of Irish stock.
At his request, he was buried (1833) standing up, facing west, gun at side.
His . . . — — Map (db m92231) HM
Pioneer Texan noted for his courage, integrity, and eccentric behavior. Came to Texas in 1818 with wife and six children.
He settled on what came to be "Bailey's Prairie". Joined Stephen F. Austin's colony, 1824.
Bailey became a captain in . . . — — Map (db m92233) HM
In 1850, Mordello Stephen Munson (born in Liberty County in 1825)—son of Henry William Munson (born 1793), a member of Austin's colony—set aside this burial tract for his family and friends. It was at Ridgely Plantation, on Bailey's . . . — — Map (db m92234) HM
Kentucky native Albert Sidney Johnston graduated from the U.S. Military Academy at West Point in 1826. He was assigned to posts in New York and Missouri, and served in the Black Hawk War in 1832. He resigned his commission in 1834 to return to . . . — — Map (db m91921) HM
Home site of
General Albert Sidney Johnston
Texas patriot - Confederate hero
Erected by San Jacinto Chapter
Daughters of the Republic of Texas
Robert E. Lee, Oran M. Roberts and
Jefferson Davis Chapters
United Daughters of the . . . — — Map (db m129402) HM
The town of Brazoria began in 1828 as a port and trading center in Stephen F. Austin’s colony. Partially burned in 1836 during the Texas Revolution, it rebuilt and served as county seat until 1897. To escape floods and to enjoy a better life, the . . . — — Map (db m90103) HM
Brazoria has been home to many heroes. This memorial is dedicated to those that gave the ultimate sacrifice in the line of duty. They have built, protected and honored our fair city unlike any other. Commend their deeds, honor their sacrifice . . . — — Map (db m90102) WM
(South Face of Monument)
Henry Smith was born in Kentucky, May Twentieth 1788, came to Texas in 1827 and settled in what is now Brazoria County which he regarded as his home until his death. He was severely wounded in the Battle of . . . — — Map (db m90101) HM
This local landmark was built between 1837 and 1841 for William Aldridge, a farmer and large landholder. After a 10-year ownership by merchant, Henry Hansen, the house was sold to J.H. Dance and Co., a construction firm that supplied arms to the . . . — — Map (db m49717) HM
Founded 1823 as Brazos River landing for Josiah H. Bell's plantation. Townsite of Marion laid out in 1824. Later named East Columbia. Army enlistment point and ferrying dock during Texas Revolution. Key river port and trade center during Republic of . . . — — Map (db m89323) HM
Near site of Dance Gun Shop. Started on Brazos River in 1850 by brothers J.H., George, and David Dance. Shop produced guns which helped arm the Confederacy during Civil War, 1861-65. The firearms were noted for precision. Shop also made machinery . . . — — Map (db m49712) HM
This Greek revival house was built about 1847 by Dr. Mason Locke Weems II, the first of a succession of Weems family physicians to live here. The house features a center passage plan and raised cottage form. Details on the six-bay inset porch . . . — — Map (db m49714) HM
During a brief and troubled time in her life, Carry Amelia Moore Nation (1846-1911) operated the "Old Columbia Hotel" on this site about 1880. She later achieved fame as a hatchet-wielding crusader against the use of alcoholic drink and tobacco. . . . — — Map (db m89328) HM
John Sweeny, Sr. (d. 1855) moved his family from Tennessee to Brazoria County, Texas, about 1833. With the help of slaves, he cleared his land and established a large plantation. This log cabin, originally located about 9 miles southwest of this . . . — — Map (db m49709) HM
A structure erected in noted old river port town of Marion in Republic of Texas era. First portion, of hand-hewn cedar, was built about 1835 by colonist Thomas W. Nibbs. Merchant-civic leader-soldier Ammon Underwood (1810-87) bought and enlarged . . . — — Map (db m49707) HM
Ariadne O. Gautier (1834-1910) came from Florida to this part of Texas in 1841 with her parents. Her father, Dr. Peter Gautier, Jr., joined other Texans in turning back an invading Mexican army in 1842. In 1855, Ariadne married Clinton Lucretius . . . — — Map (db m49716) HM
The Freeport Sulphur Company was instrumental in the founding and early development of the city of Freeport and the region. It was incorporated on July 12, 1912, and then organized the Freeport Townsite Company with the purpose of developing a city . . . — — Map (db m96295) HM
Founded 1828 by Henry Wm. Munson, who bought site from Stephen F. Austin, Father of Texas. This land joined Peach Point Plantation, Austin's home. Munson, one of Texans in uprising over injustices at Anahuac and Velasco in 1832, died in yellow fever . . . — — Map (db m96310) HM
Located on an island owned by Stephen F. Austin in 1832, the town of San Luis was established by the early 1830s. In 1836 the Follett family opened a boardinghouse and established a ferry service between Galveston and Brazoria County. Developers . . . — — Map (db m71624) HM
Fought by Texan army of 23 men under Capt. Randal Jones (1786-1873), sent out 1824 by Stephen F. Austin to the Lower Brazos to fight cannibal Karankawa Indians. Scouts found the camp here. Attack at dawn found Indians ready with spears. Jones’ guns . . . — — Map (db m90241) HM
John Greenville McNeel came to Texas in 1822 with his parents and brothers. Each of the men received land grants from the Mexican government as members of Stephen F. Austin's "Old Three Hundred" colony. Located near this site was the Ellerslie . . . — — Map (db m9453) HM
Born near Austinville, Virginia, as was her brother Stephen Fuller Austin (1793-1836), Emily moved with her father Moses Austin (1761-1821) and mother Maria Brown Austin (1768-1824) to Missouri in 1798. The family operated lead mines there and . . . — — Map (db m90628) HM
Pioneer Cemetery. Originally part of Peach Point Plantation.
Used by descendants of James Franklin Perry and wife, Emily Austin Bryan Perry, Stephen F. Austin’s sister, and by the community since 1829.
In 1836, Austin, the . . . — — Map (db m90591) HM
Heroic early Texas soldier. Fought in Battle of the Medina, near San Antonio, 1813. Returned east afterward, but moved to Texas as a colonist in 1824. Fought on behalf of Mexico to quell Fredonian Rebellion, 1827; . . . — — Map (db m90589) HM
A native of Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, James Franklin Perry moved to Potosi, Missouri, in 1808. He joined the mercantile business of his relatives Samuel and John Perry, and became a partner in 1818.
While living in Potosi, Perry met and . . . — — Map (db m90627) HM
Born in Missouri. Rode a mule to Texas in 1831 to join his uncle, Stephen F. Austin, Father of Texas. A private in Texas War for Independence. Legislator, congressman, member of Texas Secession Convention. Enlisted as a private in the Civil War, but . . . — — Map (db m53084) HM
Adjutant of the Texas army in Battle of Velasco, June 26, 1832. Wounded there, he was guarding civilians at time Texas won independence in Battle of San Jacinto, April 21, 1836.
A bosom friend of Stephen F. Austin, Caldwell . . . — — Map (db m90590) HM
In Texas war for independence, joined Matamoros expedition of January 1836. In detachment that captured horses of Gen. Urrea of Mexican army, Brown was made captive in a counterattack, and spent 11 months in prison in Mexico, but finally . . . — — Map (db m90602) HM
Born at Old Brazoria, Robert Edward Lee Stringfellow (1866-1941) began his career on a cattle ranch at the age of 14. Soon he acquired his own herd. He opened a Velasco meat market in 1890 and provided beef for workers building jetties at the mouth . . . — — Map (db m90644) HM
Grandson of Moses Austin, whose dream of Anglo-American colony changed course of Texas history.
Came to Texas with his mother and stepfather in 1831; served in Texas army from 1835 to 1838. A highly successful planter, he was instrumental in . . . — — Map (db m111119) HM
Most early Texas homes and towns were built along streams that provided water for people and livestock, and travel for boats said to be capable of "floating on a heavy dew".
Oyster Creek served, 1822-1861, as such a homesite-highway. Its boat . . . — — Map (db m89334) HM
John Sweeny, Jr., after returning from the Texas Revolution, was given this plantation by his father, an extensive landholder. In 1837 slaves built the house, using only brick, nails and wood made on his land. Molasses, cotton, sugar were produced. . . . — — Map (db m120659) HM
Though local Methodist worship can be traced to 1894, this congregation was officially organized in 1898 as the Methodist Episcopal Church of Pearland. The original frame building, shared with other denominations, was damaged in the storm of 1900 . . . — — Map (db m137335) HM
Settlement of this area began as a result of railroad development through north Brazoria County in 1882. First known as Mark Belt, the townsite was platted in 1894 and named Pearland because of the abundance of pear orchards in the vicinity. An . . . — — Map (db m50134) HM
A terrible storm ravaged Pearland in 1915. Among the important structures it destroyed was the town's high school. For the next 22 years, Pearland teenagers traveled to Webster to attend classes. The long commute severely curtailed their involvement . . . — — Map (db m137329) HM
Named for the Polish nobleman who came to Brazoria County in the late 1880s and fell in love with the flowering pear trees in an area he called Pearland, Zychlinski Park was included in the original town site.
Captain Wilhelm Zychlinski bought . . . — — Map (db m137331) HM
Named for a Mexican general. Early as 1532 a thriving village. Port of entry in Republic of Texas. Strategic fort in Civil War. Industrial area, cattle and cotton shipping point, 1870-1900. Fashionable summer colony, 1884 and afterwards. Largely . . . — — Map (db m96307) HM
Historic and key Texas port of entry located near here. During the Civil War was fortified by troops and 8 gun batteries at the mouth of the Brazos River, to provide shelter and landing facilities for blockade runners; to protect rich farmlands; and . . . — — Map (db m10331) HM
Here was fought a battle-- the first collision in arms between Texas colonists and the Mexican military-- a conflict preliminary to the Texas War for Independence. On June 26, 1832, when Texans under John Austin and Henry Smith came down river with . . . — — Map (db m10332) HM
This complex of barge canals and natural channels—most valuable waterway in America—stretches 1,116 mi. from Brownsville, Texas, to St. Mark’s, Florida. Is longer, carries more tonnage than Suez and Panama canals. Is a vital link in . . . — — Map (db m90133) HM
First vessel with emigrants to Austin's colony landed here December 23, 1821.
The Battle of Velasco was fought here June 26, 1832.
Public and secret treaties of peace between the Republic of Texas and General Santa Anna were signed here . . . — — Map (db m96294) HM
Nearby island, resort for fishermen, hunters, small boats. During the Civil War, 1861-65, used by such captains as H.C. Wedemeyer, a peacetime shipbuilder, as base for operations defying Federal blockade.
Ships loaded with cotton entered . . . — — Map (db m96293) HM
In September 1836 Columbia, now known as West Columbia, became capital of the Republic of Texas. This took place with the removal of the ad interim government here from Velasco. After the election called by ad interim President David G. Burnet, the . . . — — Map (db m49703) HM
In 1836 and 1837, the town of Columbia (Now West Columbia) served as the capital of the Republic of Texas. Josiah Hughes Bell, a colonist with Stephen F. Austin's Old Three Hundred, surveyed and platted Columbia in 1824 to serve as a center for . . . — — Map (db m41707) HM
A grant from the Rosenwald Foundation of Chicago led to the establishment of a local school for African American students. The foundation represented a collaboration between Julius Rosenwald, President of Sears, Roebuck, and Company, and the noted . . . — — Map (db m83276) HM
This congregation traces its history to early Methodist missionary activity during Texas' years as a republic in 1839. The Rev. Isaac L. G. Strickland was assigned to the Brazoria Circuit and organized a Methodist Church in Columbia (now West . . . — — Map (db m46456) HM
A member of Austin's colony, 1829. Soldier in the Battle of Velasco; delegate to the General Convention, 1832; chief justice of Brazoria County, 1836. In this home, built about 1830, Stephen F. Austin died, December 27, 1836 — — Map (db m78618) HM
Near site of The First Capitol of the Republic of Texas
About 1833 Leman Kelsy built a story-and-a-half clapboard structure near this location. When Columbia became capital of the Republic of Texas in 1836, the building was one of two . . . — — Map (db m43057) HM
Site given by Josiah H. Bell family out of their grant, the first deeded to one of "Old 300" in colony of Stephen F. Austin. Has graves of many heroes of Texas Revolution of 1836.
Deeded in 1852 to Bethel Presbyterian Church. Since 1933 managed . . . — — Map (db m46452) HM
Zeno Phillips, one of Stephen F. Austin's "Old 300" colonists, acquired land here in 1829. Zeno and his brothers John Clark, Sidney, and James Ray (J.R.) Phillips, served in the Republic of Texas Army. The cemetery began with the burial of Zeno and . . . — — Map (db m96305) HM
One of the “Old Three Hundred” who came to Texas with Stephen F. Austin in 1821 • First alcade (sic, alcalde) of Austin's Colony • On this tract of 6,642 acres, granted him in 1824, was later built the town of Columbia, First . . . — — Map (db m52793) HM
In 1920, Texas & Pacific Railway official William H. Abrams (1843-1926) of Dallas owned this old plantation land, then considered fit only for pasture. He leased mineral rights to the Texas Company (now Texaco, Inc.), whose drilling reached a climax . . . — — Map (db m52766) HM