Cotton farmers began settling in this area in 1903. A water well was dug in 1906, attracting more farmers and increasing crop production. Because the nearest cotton gin was ten miles away in Turkey, three partners (M.E. Tomson, J.H. Clack, and L.A. . . . — — Map (db m100058) HM
This burial ground has served Quitaque since the 1920s. Quitaque’s name may have come from Quitica Indians who came through this area on a 1683-84 expedition with Juan Mendoza and Juan Sabeata; it may mean “the land at the end of the . . . — — Map (db m100016) HM
Before this area was covered by Mackenzie Reservior, evidence of human occupancy was found at 77 recorded archeological sites. The earliest artifacts date back 10,000 years to a bison kill. Prehistoric occupancy is indicated by burial sites, shallow . . . — — Map (db m99858) HM
Formed from Bexar Territory
Created August 21, 1876
Organized March 15, 1892
Named for Andrew Briscoe
Defender of Texan liberty
at the Battle of Concepcion,
the Capture of Bexar and the
Battle of San Jacinto.
Chief . . . — — Map (db m99865) HM
Built 1894 of handcut stone hauled here by horse-drawn wagons from Tule Canyon.
Early day sheriff's families rented it as residence.
Lower floor was used by Red Cross workers, for sewing, during World War I.
This jail stands as the lasting . . . — — Map (db m99868) HM
In the fall of 1891, six months before the official founding of the town of Silverton, a group of citizens met together to form a non-denominational community Sunday school. Early meetings were held in a mercantile store and the county courthouse. . . . — — Map (db m99861) HM
Organized as a Sunday school in 1891, the First Methodist Church of Silverton has grown along with the community. The first pastor was the Rev. W.B. Ford, who conducted services here once a month while also serving other communities in the area. . . . — — Map (db m99862) HM
The Milo Community began in the late 19th century on the prairie between Palo Duro and Tule Canyons. Named for the favored area crop, the settlement had a store, post office, school, and scattered family dugouts and homes in the 1890s. When John . . . — — Map (db m99859) HM
Born in Benton County, Ark.
In 1892, when Briscoe County was organized, won election as first sheriff; also later served single terms, 1913-1914 and 1921-1922.
First official act was arrest of two horse thieves from New Mexico; in last term he . . . — — Map (db m99866) HM
This Queen Anne style home, which features a wrap around porch, was built in 1904 by Civil War veteran, Pleasant Lafayette Crawford (1837-1912). After Crawford moved here from Arkansas in the late 1880's, he bought ranch land and opened a mercantile . . . — — Map (db m99864) HM
The first two post offices in the area were established at Celtic and Luther on May 2, 1891, eleven months before formal organization of Briscoe County. Celtic was named by pioneer E.R. Thomas, who operated the post office and a store in his home . . . — — Map (db m99857) HM
Born in Missouri. Served in Texas Rangers, 1860-61, and in Civil War, 1862-65. He was a Corporal in last Confederate Army surrendered east of the Mississippi. After the war, he lived in McLennan, Coryell, and Briscoe Counties. Married twice, he had . . . — — Map (db m100014) HM