“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Caldwell County Texas Historical Markers

Approx area of Comanche Flats where battle began, about 5.5 SE of marker. image, Touch for more information
By Richard Denney
Approx area of Comanche Flats where battle began, about 5.5 SE of marker.
Texas (Caldwell County), Lockhart — 9783 — Battle of Plum Creek
The harsh anti-Indian policies of President Mirabeau B. Lamar and Mexican efforts to weaken the Republic of Texas stirred Indian hostilities. Hatred increased after the Council House Fight in San Antonio, March 19, 1840, where 12 Comanche chiefs . . . — Map (db m64063) HM
Texas (Caldwell County), Lockhart — 9759 — Caldwell County
A part of De Witt’s Colony, 1825-1836. A part of Gonzales County to 1848. First settlements were on Plum Creek and the San Marcos River Created     March 6, 1848 Organized     August 7, 1848 Named in honor of Mathew . . . — Map (db m91552) HM
Texas (Caldwell County), Lockhart — Caldwell County Confederate Soldiers Memorial
(Northwest Face of Memorial) In Memory of Our Soldiers (Southeast Face of Memorial) Tell it as you may It never can be told, Sing it as you may It never can be sung The story of the glory Of the men who wore . . . — Map (db m91554) WM
Texas (Caldwell County), Lockhart — 9760 — Caldwell County Courthouse
The first Caldwell County courthouse was erected on this site in 1848, when the county was organized and named for Mathew Caldwell, a Texas Ranger and signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence. It was replaced in 1858 by a 2-story limestone . . . — Map (db m91553) HM
Texas (Caldwell County), Lockhart — 9763 — Dr. Eugene Clark Library
Built in 1899 and dedicated on July 6, 1900, this library was financed with funds bequeathed by Dr. Clark, who was a prominent physician of Lockhart and San Antonio. A native of New Orleans, he was a graduate of Tulane Medical School and studied . . . — Map (db m111182) HM
Texas (Caldwell County), Lockhart — 16772 — First Presbyterian Church of Lockhart
In 1849, Rev. N.P. Charlot appointed D.M. Morris and Col. John T. Storey as elders of First Presbyterian Church, which organized with ten members. Early services were held in members’ homes and the Masonic hall before church elders bought this site . . . — Map (db m91555) HM
Texas (Caldwell County), Luling — 9786 — Zedler's Mills
John and James Meriwether and Leonidas Hardeman in 1874 built gristmill and sawmill at this site, with a stone dam across the San Marcos River. Bob Innes, John Orchard, J.K. Walker, and Fritz Zedler, as Luling Water Power Co., bought mills in 1884, . . . — Map (db m76908) HM
Texas (Caldwell County), Stairtown — 12654 — Rafael Rios No. 1(Located 0.8 Mi.N, on Farm Road 671)
Discovery well of Luling Field, a major Texas oil area. Wildcatter E.B. Davis drilled on land owned by R. Rios. Well came in Aug. 10, 1922, after 3 dry holes had been drilled in same area. Magnolia (now Mobil) Oil Co. bought field 1926. By 1969, . . . — Map (db m76906) HM

8 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement