Founded 1902 by W. S. Wilkerson, local landowner, when Rock Island Railroad built west; named for Col. B. B. Groom, 1880s agent of Francklyn Land & Cattle Co.
Col. Groom was first to try power farming on Plains. Town is today hub of rich farming . . . — — Map (db m100361) HM
Prominent pioneer dentist and farmer. As a boy, cut wood to support mother widowed in Civil War. Worked as carpenter for money to attend dental school in Chicago. Licensed 1890.
Came to Canadian in 1903; Groom, 1916. Traveled at times to ranch . . . — — Map (db m100360) HM
Founded in 1904 as a private bank by John Walter Knorpp (1867-1952), member of an established banking family of Missouri, New Mexico, and Texas, and Eugene Sherwood Blasdel (1878-1930), oil and grain business developer of this region. In 1905 . . . — — Map (db m100358) HM
Takes name from creek where noted buffalo hunter and scout Billy Dixon established first dugout home on High Plains, 1874.
Ranch founded, 1882, by Francklyn Land and Cattle Co., English firm backed by Cunard Steamship Co.
Fenced, 1884, with . . . — — Map (db m93762) HM
The 1920s oil boom brought increased business to this railroad town, and a new depot was built here in 1928. The structure exhibits elements of the Prairie School, Mission, and Tudor styles of architecture. Prominent features include bracketed . . . — — Map (db m55888) HM
Created 1876. Organized 1888. Named for Samuel Price Carson, Secretary of State, Republic of Texas.
A pioneer county in oil and gas development.
Panhandle, county seat, promised main lines of 3 railroads, was by-passed for Amarillo, yet . . . — — Map (db m55891) HM
Residents of Conway, established 9 miles south of here in 1905, attended non-denominational services in a relocated schoolhouse until this union church building was completed in 1912. It became an important gathering place for the Conway community . . . — — Map (db m55900) HM
George Tyng, White Deer Lands, drilled first water well 1887 near present townsite White Deer after unsuccessful attempt in 1886 by Col. B. B. Groom, Francklyn Land & Cattle Company.
Windmill indispensable factor in settlement plains of Texas. . . . — — Map (db m55896) HM
Cattle firm that had brought first Herefords to region — Lue Finch, W.H. Lord, O.H. Nelson — in 1887 promoted Panhandle City, as railroad line approached. They sent in ten cowboys to stake claims around city, which prospered as county . . . — — Map (db m55897) HM
In October 1923, W. T. Willis, J. E. Trigg, and H. D. Lewis, partners in one of Texas' largest drilling firms, broke ground at the S. B. Burnett 6666 Ranch with the first rotary drilling rig used in the Texas Panhandle. Success of this drilling . . . — — Map (db m93760) HM
The Panhandle's first oil well, Gulf Burnett No. 2, was struck by the Gulf Production Company on May 2, 1921, on the 6666 Ranch of S. B. Burnett. The prediction of oil in this area by U.S. geologists in 1904 and the discovery of natural gas nearby . . . — — Map (db m93761) HM
After 1880, each spring and summer many Texas herds went up the trail to northern states, for fattening. The trail thrilled and challenged cowboys, who went hungry, thirsty and saddle sore; bridged or swam the rivers; forded quicksand streams; . . . — — Map (db m55898) HM
In 1880s, capital of Panhandle area. Settled when slaughter of buffalo sent Indians to live on reservations. Terminus of Santa Fe Railway, 1887. Here immigrant trains brought colonists, who plowed old Indian range into wheat fields and civilization. . . . — — Map (db m55889) HM
In the 1874-1888 era the High Plains (a sea of grass) had no native timber, stone, or adobe building materials. Homes were dugouts, or, if settlers' wagons went some 300 miles for lumber, half-dugouts. Dugouts were warm in winter, cool in summer. . . . — — Map (db m55895) HM
Born in the Texas Governor's Mansion, the eighth and last child of Sam Houston (1793-1863) and his wife Margaret; educated at Baylor University, Texas A&M, and in a law office, Temple Houston came in 1881 to this region as district attorney for the . . . — — Map (db m55899) HM
Originally “Carson City”, town name was changed 1887 when this site appeared to be the future metropolis of the Panhandle: it was to be at the junction of Santa Fe (under name “Southern Kansas”) and Fort Worth & Denver City . . . — — Map (db m55863) HM
During the height of Carson County's oil boom in the 1920s, the major oil field supply houses headquartered in Panhandle, and lodging was in great demand. In 1926, Clark B. (d. 1946) and Margaret (d. 1967) Downs opened the Downs Hotel to help meet . . . — — Map (db m55890) HM
Permanent citizens, forgers of local civilization. Walter Franklin (1869-1963), George Leonard (born 1875) and Dormer D. Simms (born 1884) moved to Texas in 1886 and to this county in the early 1900's. They arrived later than visiting hunters, . . . — — Map (db m55893) HM
The Niedringhaus brothers of St. Louis sent lumber by ox-cart from Dodge City and built this square house on their “N Bar N” Ranch here in Carson County in the mid-1880s. In 1887 a railroad official occupied the pioneer cottage while the . . . — — Map (db m55892) HM
After serving as a teamster in the Civil War (1861-65), Thadium (Thomas) B. Cree worked for the Union Pacific Railroad. In 1888 he and his wife came to the High Plains. They acquired this land and, with no trees for lumber, they built a dugout home. . . . — — Map (db m55938) HM
First church building in White Deer. Dedicated July 4, 1909. Financed mainly through gifts from pioneer members' home churches; and donations by other denominations. Also used by Methodists and Baptists for 11 years, with circuit pastors for the . . . — — Map (db m55862) HM
The White Deer Land Company, a trustee for court-ordered land sales in this area, established the White Deer Demonstration Farm in the 1890s. About 1909 this frame four square structure was built to board prospective land buyers. Marvin Hughes . . . — — Map (db m55861) HM
This commercial structure was built at the original townsite of White Deer (0.5 mi. E). It was moved here in 1908, when the present townsite was established. It housed the general merchandise business of J. C. Jackson (d. 1966), a prominent leader . . . — — Map (db m55859) HM
Each Spring and Summer after 1880, many Texas herds went up the trail to Northern states for fattening. For the cowboys, trail drives meant hard work. They had to turn stampedes, ford rivers and quicksand streams, and fight Indians and cattle . . . — — Map (db m55858) HM
Name taken from nearby creek so called by an Indian legend of White Deer feeding there.
Site of county's first water well, drilled at N Bar N Ranch, 1887. Also headquarters for White Deer Land Co. (formerly Francklyn Land and Cattle Co., a . . . — — Map (db m55860) HM