Governor of Texas 1931-33, during critical years of the Depression. Born and reared on family farm here.
As a youth hoeing these fields, learned to stay ahead by taking "3 or 4 licks" while others took 2. Followed this vigorous philosophy . . . — — Map (db m86614) HM
On July 30, 1955, members of the East and West Chambers County Farm Bureaus and their families held a picnic in Fort Anahuac Park (4 mi. S) which included a variety of youth events and games. The success of the picnic resulted in a sense of unity, . . . — — Map (db m60319) HM
Known as Perry's Point until 1825, Anahuac was a port of entry for early Texas colonists. In 1830 the Mexican government established a military post here to collect customs duties and to enforce the law of April 6, 1830, which curtailed further . . . — — Map (db m117180) HM
On this site first known as Perry's Point, a fort, established in 1830 by General Manuel Mier y Terán for the purpose of halting Anglo-American colonization was named Anahuac, the Aztec name of Mexico City, then the capital of Texas. The . . . — — Map (db m117183) HM
Adventurer from Kentucky who first came to Texas in 1817 with an expedition seeking to expel Spain from North America. Bradburn served in the Army of the Republic of Mexico in the 1820s, and in 1830 was sent to establish a military post at the mouth . . . — — Map (db m117179) HM
Crippled by disease at 15, with a leg permanently bent at the knee, wore a pegleg which like his two natural legs was covered with his trousers. Hence he was nicknamed "Three-Legged Willie."
Settled in Texas in 1827 to practice law. Here at . . . — — Map (db m117181) HM
This area on Trinity Bay, three miles south of the town of Anahuac, was called Round Point as early as 1828 when Anson Taylor (1791-1831) settled here. A native of South Carolina, Taylor emigrated to Texas from Tennessee with his wife, Elizabeth, . . . — — Map (db m86622) HM
Drafted and signed at Turtle Bayou on June 13, 1832; this first formal protest of Texas colonists against Mexican tyranny formed an early step in events that led eventually to the Texas Revolution of 1836.
The settlers were protesting recent . . . — — Map (db m60341) HM
Co-commander with James Bowie, siege of the Alamo. Born in South Carolina; moved with family in 1818 to Alabama, where at 19 he was admitted to the bar; came to Texas 1831. In Anahuac he joined William H. Jack and others resisting tyranny of customs . . . — — Map (db m117182) HM
Although oil production of major value began in Chambers County in 1916, this prolific Anahuac field was discovered on March 3, 1935, with completion of Humble Oil & Refining Company's A. D. Middleton No. 1 (1.8 mi. SE). The camp which housed Humble . . . — — Map (db m86624) HM
French trader Joseph Blancpain established a trading post in this vicinity in August 1754. He had been living in Natchitoches, Louisiana, where he was the owner of a mercantile store.
With a small group of men, Blancpain arrived in August and . . . — — Map (db m117185) HM
Two of the most misfortune-ridden outposts of Spain in Texas, “Our Lady of the Light” mission and its auxiliary fort, were founded near here in 1756 to guard against French encroachment from the east.
The two friars who were to . . . — — Map (db m117186) HM
Settled in 1825 by Elisha H. R. Wallis, a pioneer from Georgia, on land in grant of Joseph Vehlein, a contractor working to place colonists in Texas.
Chambers County was organized 1858; Wallisville was made county seat. A post office was . . . — — Map (db m117188) HM
Winnie and Stowell are two communities in northeastern Chambers County that were founded in the mid-1890s on the Gulf & Interstate Railway. The towns share a common economic history and cultural heritage and often are referred to simply as . . . — — Map (db m76265) HM