Created February 1, 1858
Organized March 11, 1879.
Named for the river which the Spaniards called the Concho because of the many shells that they found in it.
Paint Rock, The County Seat — — Map (db m30087) HM
On this site during the Civil War and later, grazed by tens of thousands the Longhorns of cattle baron John S. Chisum. Ranch headquarters were 10 miles east. Here in 1863-1865, Chisum not only ranched but also was buyer of cattle to feed Confederate . . . — — Map (db m82187) HM