Born in Falls County. Son of early Texas settlers Albert G. and Elidia Anderson Gholson.
After 1858-1859 service with Texas Rangers, he re-enlisted in company under Capt. J.M. Smith, and in 1860 aided in the rescue of Cynthia Ann Parker, . . . — — Map (db m89697) HM
The town of Evant traces its history to an earlier settlement in this area. Langford Cove, founded in 1855 by Asa Langford (1820-1907), was located adjacent to and partly within the south boundary of the present town of Evant. A United States post . . . — — Map (db m89695) HM
Organized by Rev. Joe Price between 1874 and 1876 in Langford’s Cove community (later renamed Evant), the Evant Methodist Episcopal Church began with seven charter members: Mr. and Mrs. W.C. Winters, Mr. and Mrs. G.T. Winters, Mr. and Mrs. Edington . . . — — Map (db m89696) HM
The route once known as the Old Georgetown Road was in existence by 1854 and crossed the Leon River here. A ferry operated at this crossing as early as 1854 and was owned by R.G. Grant, a local entrepreneur and land developer.
The Bowstring . . . — — Map (db m69907) HM
County seat of Coryell County, Gatesville began in 1854 after the county was created. Richard Grant, an Indian trader and local landowner, donated the townsite. It was named for Old Fort Gates (1849-1852), which had been established 5 miles east for . . . — — Map (db m70078) HM
The Hammack Building is located on property once owned by John Chrisman, who helped survey the town of Gatesville in 1854. The building was constructed by W. W. Hammack (1860-1913) in the late 1800s. Over the years, the Hammack family leased the . . . — — Map (db m70111) HM
School classes were first conducted in a church tabernacle when Ireland was founded in 1911. The town was platted on the Coryell-Hamilton County line and named for Texas Governor John Ireland (1827-1896). A wooden frame school was erected in 1914, . . . — — Map (db m71782) HM
This congregation traces its history to the late 1860s, when early settlers of Jonesboro met together in a combination church-school Masonic Lodge building for worship services. W. L. Jones donated land for a Methodist church in 1871, and the . . . — — Map (db m119007) HM
This cemetery, probably named for noted pioneer educator D.R. Wood, was established with the 1858 burial of Sarah E. Shipman, wife of prominent local rancher John K. Shipman. More than 20 additional burials were recorded before John Shipman deeded . . . — — Map (db m92481) HM
This congregation traces its history to 1886, when the Rev. W. M. Blakely and ten charter members organized the Basham Baptist Church in the old Basham School Building at the Smith Cemetery (ca. 1.7 mi. S). Basham Baptist Church merged with Salem . . . — — Map (db m71647) HM